TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

My system is more like "how angry would I be if my tree lost to this one."

That, I believe, is the best and most fair rating method I've seen so far. biggrin.gif

My system is more like "how angry would I be if my tree lost to this one."

This. 1 is "D< I AM FURIOUS", 2 and 3 are "what why there is nothing special here", 4 and 5 are "It's nice but I think mine deserves better", 6 and 7 are "I'm annoyed but I can totally see where they were coming from in choosing it", 8 and 9 are "Yeah, this is on par with mine, it's not too big a deal" and 10 is "HIGH FIVE MAN YOU TOTALLY DESERVE EVERYTHING EVER"

Ive given out a few 9s but no 10s Nothing has super wowed me.

My votes generally get 5-8 unless they are over cluttered or bare thats when they get low votes

again, i ask: how does one put the SRS tree critc thing in their sig???? i can't seem to figure it out, still trying.....

I don't think I've seen any tree with the western dragon topper aligned properly. o.o;;

Oop, just saw one. The rest of the tree isn't that great, though. :x

Edited by Diem Adrienne

Well see that's the thing, I never said it wouldn't be biased. I'm talking about someone publicly stating that they were rating ones based partially on being in a bad mood.

If someone doesn't like my color choice? Fine. They don't like my theme? Right on. They don't like it because they're angry with an aspect of their life, or they're having a bad day, and they rate it a one for the heck of it? Then yes, I take offense at it.

So do you also take offense at me publicly stating last night that I was giving out higher scores after half a bottle of wine? Or is this person's wonky reasoning somehow "worse" because he or she was rating lower? wink.giflaugh.gif

People are people, not robots. No matter how analytical we try to be, our opinions will still be affected by factors both internal and external. And that's exactly why having a panel of judges, as this contest does, is a smart idea. Taken as a whole, my drunken voting cancels out the other person's bad mood, everybody gets the rating they deserve, and things just tend to work out.

Now if someone would like to be offended by global poverty rates, human rights inequity, corporate greed, or the shocking and pervasive misuse of em-dashes and ellipses by otherwise respectable publications, I'm right there with them. Boy howdy, am I.

I don't think I've seen any tree with the western dragon topper aligned properly. o.o;;

Oop, just saw one. The rest of the tree isn't that great, though. :x

that makes me sad, I thought my Western topper was fine.

Good grief...... anyone else having troubles with the vote window getting frozen?

I've had to refresh several times having the vote window stuck in the loading phase.

Also the more I vote the more I'm going blah most are ok they aren't really spectacular.... and I'm still on the well that is a nice picture and all but this isn't art this is tree decorating..... the tree looks barren....

It's like that's cool and artistic and all but the tree is the key.

A few have very well deserved 8s but I haven't given more than one 9 I think....

There have been quite a few 6 or 7's but a vast majority I've seen are just average 5's..... and then if they looked like they just threw every decoration onto the tree not caring for how it looked it's a 3.

And if it has nothing it gets a 1..... 2 if it has under 10 ornaments.

I'm getting more and more picky the more really nice tree's I see. I mean you can tell when some people put their heart into it and really did a great job of designing the tree.

And which one is western???? is that the skinny dragon with the long curly tail?

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the shooting-star tree. It was well done, for once O_o still haven't spotted the "shrine to TJ" with the candles and dragons praying to it yet. There is time, yet, though!

again, i ask: how does one put the SRS tree critc thing in their sig???? i can't seem to figure it out, still trying.....

There are two ways I know of:

1) Right click the picture. Select the "Properties" tab, and it will bring up information on the picture including a link you can use to put the picture in your sig.

OR

2) Quote the orignal post and transplant the code for the picture you want from the original post to your sig.

I only just discovered the second one.

Just saw one that made it look as if candles and an ornament-swagged garland were hanging on the wall behind the tree; they even got a sort of shaded effect on the sides of the "candleholders" to make them look 3Dish. Pretty darned cool; usually stuff placed off the tree just looks like it's being levitated by Yoda. smile.gif

There are two ways I know of:

1) Right click the picture. Select the "Properties" tab, and it will bring up information on the picture including a link you can use to put the picture in your sig.

OR

2) Quote the orignal post and transplant the code for the picture you want from the original post to your sig.

I only just discovered the second one.

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! that second way works a charm!! wink.gif

check signature!!

on topic: i saw a tree with the dragons places like they were performing fellatio on each other.... blink.gif

Well I didn't get much voting in today sad.gif Too much real life stuff to do xd.png Hopefully I will have more time tomorrow!

I'm still on the well that is a nice picture and all but this isn't art this is tree decorating..... the tree looks barren....

It's like that's cool and artistic and all but the tree is the key.

I actually really like picture trees and trees that utilise the background and not just the tree - after all, we may not have anti-gravity ornaments in real life yet, but that's no reason not to use them on computer trees where we do have them. And the pictures are fun.

On the other hand, well, what you said. The tree should look amazing, too. If the pictures are clever but they don't look good, or if the background is beautifully decorated and the tree just... isn't - well then, demerit points all over the place!

I'm not a stickler for the "tree" part of the equation, but the "decorating" part, oh yes. Very much so.

I can confirm that trees are indeed random. Your tree is just as likely to show up now as it is to appear next Friday.

and as I pointed out earlier, unless you saw a tree and didn't vote on it, you won't be given the same tree twice.

was glad to see this, as I was worried about whether the trees that happend to come up as I was closeing the page for a time would be seen again. I'd of hated if it counted the trees I'd seen and not just the ones I actully voted for. smile.gif

I actually really like picture trees and trees that utilise the background and not just the tree - after all, we may not have anti-gravity ornaments in real life yet, but that's no reason not to use them on computer trees where we do have them. And the pictures are fun.

I agree.

Plus, we have magic dragons. And whose to say we don't have a bit of magic ourselves (we're able to raise these ferocious dragons, anyway)? Maybe the dragons are helping out a bit with our tree. ;3

Just saw the fire-breathing dragon one. Very interesting, I have to admit.

Yanno, after reading all these comments about cluttered trees, I have to wonder - who exactly made them/why are there so many?

Just saw the fire-breathing dragon one. Very interesting, I have to admit.

Yanno, after reading all these comments about cluttered trees, I have to wonder - who exactly made them/why are there so many?

Well, there were quite a few people here when we were still getting the ornaments who seemed to think we had to use them all (and were worried they'd be disqualified if they missed a day because they wouldn't be able to use all the ornaments), so maybe it was people who thought that and never actaully came here to ask? Plus I think some people did it just because they thought it was funny to have a horrendously cluttered tree.

Hm... still, it seems to be an almost excessive number. I dunno, maybe I'm just getting cranky and should go to bed.

I'm kinda worried that my tree would be considered "cluttered." I put some space around each ornament, but after seeing all the trees that are sparsely decorated but that still look good, I still might have too many to get a very high rating. *sigh* Oh well, at least I tried my hardest.

People were having trouble with a glitch where once they submitted their trees, everything clumped together in the middle. It was pure conjecture, but people thought that how your tree looked when you submitted it was how it would been seen in the contest. Sadly, there was never any say from TJ, so many of these people left their trees the way they were, thinking that how it looked when they submitted it would be how it came out. I have a feeling this is why there are so many cluttered and off-center trees. 3:

Well, the more is better mentality seems to be quite prevalent in real life. I guess it probably influenced people's attitudes toward decorating trees.

Most of the cluttered ones I've seen, however, don't seem like they were thrown off into a clump--they are quite spread out over the tree, in a way that certainly looks like someone did it by hand, rather than due to a glitch. It's just not a way that looks good or seems to have any point or purpose xd.png;;

Oh well, raises my hopes for my tree! biggrin.gif *slapped*

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy