TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

mad.gif I really hate the trees that people are putting vulgar and tasteless pictures/designs on.

Just saw one that had the birds looking like they were crapping the crackers all over the tree.  mad.gif This is not funny, nor original. It's childish and tactless.

I saw that one, and I thought they were dropping the crackers around the tree, not crapping them. blink.gif

I guess it's all in the way you see and interpret things...

I've seen a lot of rainbow themed trees, I think that's one of my favorites, but my eye is attracted by any color themed tree because that's what I like. If the picture trees are nice and still appear to be a decorated tree, I vote them up too.

I have yet to see the odd pickle trees I've heard of, they must be avoiding me.

Edited by razi

I just saw an angel/nutcracker 'wedding' inside a heart. Cute.

My own tree looks boring in comparison, but I tried to be creative with ornament stacking.

I saw that one to!! Oh an whoever the" Epic" tree creater (you know who you are) is I gave yours an all 10 cuz thats awesome!!!:)

Personally, I haven't been rating very highly :\

I have had 2-3 9s, 1 "10', several 1-3, and a bunch of 4-6. Almost no 7-8. I just don't like the trees with everything on them, or more than one dragon, or the ones with stuff outside of the tree (Sometimes I think they didn't realize it was on the space).

Sorry to those I voted down on.

On a different note: I put the pickle on my tree but I doubt you guys will find it >:D

Edited by funny12321

I saw that one, and I thought they were dropping the crackers around the tree, not crapping them. blink.gif

I guess it's all in the way you see and interpret things...

You know that's a really good point. I hope I'm not screwing anyone over due to not seeing a design or misinterpreting one.

Personally, I haven't been rating very highly :\

I have had 2-3 9s, 1 "10', several 1-3, and a bunch of 4-6. Almost no 7-8. I just don't like the trees with everything on them, or more than one dragon, or the ones with stuff outside of the tree (Sometimes I think they didn't realize it was on the space).

Sorry to those I voted down on.

On a different note: I put the pickle on my tree but I doubt you guys will find it >:D

haha is that what that is? I thought it was an overstuffed stocking! You prolly wont find it on my tree either.. smile.gif

You know that's a really good point. I hope I'm not screwing anyone over due to not seeing a design or misinterpreting one.

I agree, there's a lot of "amazing" trees I'm seeing described here, I'm hoping these aren't trees I voted low because I didn't "get" it.

I've seen a few of the picture trees that people have been talking about, but I've yet to see something that totally knocks my socks off... but then again, I only vote for about 5 minutes at a run and multitask a bit so I don't get burnt out and affect my judgment.

I feel sorry for those who didn't realize that just because its not on the tree doesn't mean it didn't make it into view >_>;

That's why I moved everything I wasn't using onto the brown area of the screen

I have come across a lot of plain trees today

i seen a lot of good trees. I saw one that looked like a warhammer 40K theme. (Warhammer 40K is a table top miniature war game) See the wedding one. Seen more blank trees. If the tree has stuff on the outside but it fits with the tree then I dont score low. Like one where a dragon was caring an ornament to the tree.

Edited by WarriorPriest

I can't wait!!!!! I'd love to even get a ranking.

Personally, I don't like the ones with too much, or the ones with ornaments making up shapes. One person I voted had all their ornaments off the tree! blink.gif

Oh well, Good Luck Everyone!

Ha!  I've been in a bad mood all day and my voting has suffered/benefited from it.  If I don't like the tree it gets a 1.  So that's everything with more than one garland, anything with more than one topper, anything with all the ornaments on, anything using both gold and silver, anything spelling out words (and don't get me started on how much I loathe anything that seems to be sucking up), anything that had ornaments squidged together, any half-assed 'picture', anything boring...

So I've probably only given out half a dozen non-1 scores so far today.

Lets hope I'm in a better mood tomorrow.  dry.gif

I don't think that's a really fair way to vote. I was more worried about stuff like this than about anonymous voting and anonymous trees, was that people would take out their bad moods on someone else's creation.

My tree is a DC tree, but mine doesn't just spell out the letters DC, it actually has a DC-themed yet traditional design. But I guess, because I had the nerve to spell something out [and not to "suck up" to TJ] then I deserve the worst score possible for my tackiness. The only reason I spelled out DC was to make absolutely sure that people would understand where I was going with my design in the first place. Maybe someone would catch on, maybe they wouldn't.

Sure, if someone just takes a punch of ornaments, and spells out TJ without doing a single thing to their tree, I vote them a little lower. Sure, they put thought into their tree, which is better than putting no ornaments on whatsoever, but that was it? Just TJ? No garland? No topper? Yeah, I vote those low. But for me, I did more than just slap DC on my tree, I added a bunch of thought into mine, and yes, I used four dragons, but used them tastefully.

I hate that because I tried to put a unique [and I'm not talking unique because of the letters] thought into my tree so I could try and make it a little different while also keeping it a traditionally real tree, that I could get voted a one by someone in a bad mood.

I'm sorry, but that's just an awful way to vote. Please don't take your mood out on someone else's tree. It's not their fault, and certainly not the fault of the tree either. sad.gif

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

I'm sorry, but that's just an awful way to vote. Please don't take your mood out on someone else's tree. It's not their fault, and certainly not the fault of the tree either. sad.gif

^

This

I was in a bad mood yesterday while voting for a while. I noticed that my scores were getting progressively lower, so I stopped voting entirely until my mood improved.

But really, my votes weren't all 1's just because I didn't like the trees that much. ._.

That's kinda harsh, emjaygee...

O.K., for myself I thought a couple of trees were very clever. I saw one with two dragon heads snaking out from behind the decorated tree. I thought that was pretty clever and gave it a higher score. Another tree I saw sort of made me giggle even though I didn't rank it very highly. There was this bird at the top of the tree and under it was a nutcracker with the melting snow ornament on its head. I sure looked like the bird was unloading on the nutcrackers head. LOL (I have no idea if that was on purpose.)

True, but on the other hand, this person did have legitimate aesthetic reasons for giving the trees low scores. The bad mood just made them use 1's instead of, say, 3's.

In another thread, TJ said that every tree already has more than 100 votes. So the small amount of variation that comes with a person in a bad mood giving a 1 instead of a 3 should end up being statistically insignificant to that tree's chances. :-) Such a large quantity of data should drown out any individual instance of unfair scoring, AFAIK.

In another thread, TJ said that every tree already has more than 100 votes. So the small amount of variation that comes with a person in a bad mood giving a 1 instead of a 3 should end up being statistically insignificant to that tree's chances. :-) Such a large quantity of data should drown out any individual instance of unfair scoring, AFAIK.

Also true, but it's still kinda...uncool if you ask me >.>

but ANYWAY, I just noticed that I came across the same tree twice...

I think I fixed it (clearing the cache, etc.), but I just found that strange ._.

True, but on the other hand, this person did have legitimate aesthetic reasons for giving the trees low scores. The bad mood just made them use 1's instead of, say, 3's.

In another thread, TJ said that every tree already has more than 100 votes. So the small amount of variation that comes with a person in a bad mood giving a 1 instead of a 3 should end up being statistically insignificant to that tree's chances. :-)  Such a large quantity of data should drown out any individual instance of unfair scoring, AFAIK.

And while that may be true, if you're going to take out bad moods on someone else's tree, perhaps you should hold off on voting until you're feeling more fair and less biased?

It's not entirely about the averages and the scores, it's about the work you put into the tree, and the creativity you brought with it. Sure, I'm not taking it 100% seriously, but yeah, I will be annoyed if someone comes along and knocks my soda out of my hand because they're in a bad mood and can't stand Dr. Pepper. blink.giflaugh.gif That was partially a joke, but yes, in all seriousness, don't want someone coming along and saying "your signature sucks" because they're in the worst mood and doesn't like the color pink.

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

for some reason i can't view any trees, and mine is blank (even though i decorated it)

i hope this is in the right place.

Edited by mudclaw

Ok, I just saw a tree that had 3 of the round ball ornaments grouped together on the right at the bottom of the tree...and that's it. Nothing else. O.o I don't get it.

I kinda wish they just gave us 1-5 to vote, like a report card. It almost seems like I have too many choices with 10. I love the trees that tell a story with their dragons, birds or gingerbread man. They make me laugh. My favorite so far is the one where the dragon has captured the angel in a net of lights, or the gingerbread man waving the candy cane like a flag. I also like the ones where they have graduated the colors like a rainbow ROYGBIV. But I give a lot of credit to the ones who have picked up the most ornaments and been able to place them on the tree, even if it is messy. Their daily efforts should be rewarded. As for me, I took the traditional route. Next time I will mix things and click a lot more space to see what else I can do with my ornaments. I agree with the idea of creating categories, but I would have more than just traditional vs out of the box. I would give themes like a dragon theme, best lights, best colors, best ornaments, best topping, best use of ornaments, most orderly, most funny, etc. Also, after I have been voting for 3 days I kinda wish I could go back and give higher scores to ones I had seen at the beginning, after seeing this many. I think they were really good and I did not know before I had more to compare to. I think we should have our own personal top 20 and then submit our top 20. Now I am sounding like a judge from American Idol. Sorry. I do think this is fun. I cannot believe just how creative people can be with all the same items, same rules and same timing! I really appreciate the ornaments that were made for us by DC. They were absolutely beautiful. It took a lot of time, creativity and good coding to make that possible for us. It was quite an undertaking. I did not have a Christmas tree of my own this year so it was a lovely substitute. It made me happy. biggrin.gif What fun! biggrin.gif

Day Four...rating trees...never ending parade...must rate each to be fair...

When will the hurting stop?

day 4? i'm afraid it's only day 2, buddy.

I think you guys are forgetting that judging is based on personal opinion and no matter what, your votes will be "biased" in some way. I could also say to not vote if you're in a good mood, because your votes will likely be higher then usual and won't match up with the rest of the scores you're giving. Or not to vote when you're rushed, because you won't spend an ample amount of time looking at each tree to judge it. Or not to vote when you're too relaxed, because you'll spend too much time on it and over think and second guess your decisions. Or etc. And everyone is voting on different criteria and likes. Bias is going to happen. ;3

for some reason i can't view any trees, and mine is blank (even though i decorated it)

Some people's trees glitched and gave them empty or overstuffed trees with nothing centered, so that's probably what, unfortunately, happened to yours.

Are you going to http://dragcave.net/treevote to vote on trees? What are you seeing? All blank trees? Nothing? Not even the voting thing?

Do you have images and javascript turned on?

I kinda wish they just gave us 1-5 to vote, like a report card. It almost seems like I have too many choices with 10.

My report cards have always given me A, B, C, D, or F, so I dun know what number system you're talking about on report cards. x3

I'm the opposite. I wouldn't have enough range with just 1-5. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Did you try this link? It is the one on your scroll, under "Generate Incubator".

http://dragcave.net/treevote

I gave a tree with "DC" on it a 10 due to the fact that the letters were made solely from the little light strands. I thought it stood out really well from the letter-tree crowd. :3