Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

~Re-opened~

If a thread is closed, then it is closed for a while. Users will have to wait until it is re-opened or ask a mod's permission before re-starting the discussion/bringing the discussion elsewhere.

Can we have the delete button at the top of the inbox if possible? It's really annoying to scroll all the way down when you have a lot of messages. Picture.

(And on another note, is bringing a discussion that was locked somewhere else count as lock evasion, and is that warn-worthy?)

Edited by stogucheme

Don't bother with forum software suggestions for a bit. I'm looking into the possibility of upgrading the forum software, which would make any custom modifications worthless.

Don't bother with forum software suggestions for a bit. I'm looking into the possibility of upgrading the forum software, which would make any custom modifications worthless.

If you are thinking of going to v3 - there are MAJOR disadvantages, IMHO, unless the owner of the site I'm on who did that is very stupid. And she did ask the invision people and I do know that there is NO option to archive messages or to track them, and PMs work quite differently - they become "conversations" and everyone on that forum HATES it. Both those things are inalienable unless you know how to tweak more than invision intends you to.

The board also looks QUITE different, and your profile works in very different ways. (It did also at first turn everyone who had not specified their gender into guys (I was one, so I noticed...) There were also (briefly) like buttons ("reputation system"). We all complained and they were removed, PLEASE don't let's have those....

And there is no little slot that you can keep private to make notes - or not that I can see - like "I owe TJ a mint egg" stuff. sad.gif

I am NOT sure if you want to do this, TJ.... Maybe switch to a new forum host where you can set more of it yourself ???? Because YOU are clever but invision seems to want to control the way people use user forums sad.gif

If you are thinking of going to v3 - there are MAJOR disadvantages, IMHO, unless the owner of the site I'm on who did that is very stupid. And she did ask the invision people and I do know that there is NO option to archive messages or to track them, and PMs work quite differently - they become "conversations" and everyone on that forum HATES it. Both those things are inalienable unless you know how to tweak more than invision intends you to.

The board also looks QUITE different, and your profile works in very different ways. (It did also at first turn everyone who had not specified their gender into guys (I was one, so I noticed...) There were also (briefly) like buttons ("reputation system"). We all complained and they were removed, PLEASE don't let's have those....

And there is no little slot that you can keep private to make notes - or not that I can see - like "I owe TJ a mint egg" stuff. sad.gif

I am NOT sure if you want to do this, TJ.... Maybe switch to a new forum host where you can set more of it yourself ???? Because YOU are clever but invision seems to want to control the way people use user forums sad.gif

Then on that note, what are the little features about this forum software that everyone likes and that I should make sure aren't lost if I upgrade?

I don't mean obvious things, like "I like being able to post." The message tracker is a good example; it's not common on many forums but many people reply on it.

That, of course. And that extra symbol for threads you have posted in.

And having a place to keep private little notes to yourself. (Not deathly secrets - but I doubt if anyone WANTS to know that I have a list of my promised breedings and things that people promised me that I am supposed to remind them about, and things...)

I don't know what did it - but any "interests" we marked up appear under our names - waste of space and not necessarily what we wanted there. That may have gone now; not sure as I promptly removed all mine ! And there was at first no option for unspecified gender - she had to ask for that; several of us didn't choose to say.

Message tracking is REALLY IMPORTANT when it comes to offers and suchlike. And invision just told her they no longer supported it. And you cannot archive them, so - gone is gone and so on - REALLY annoying if you want to keep several and are short of space. You can save individual "conversations" as webpages - but - well, that just isn't the same and takes a lot of space on your computer, as well as being harder work to search through for that person who offered you a gold....

Also - PLEASE no "like" buttons.

The look is VERY different - unless you are as clever as I think you are.I BET that will get you a lot of complaints - and believe me, I sympathise with the complainers. I don't mind change - but it's - horrid by comparison.

You have no choice about board settings (as in no of posts to a page etc.)

I may be back with more later, as possibly the only one here how is ON a forum that went to v 3 ! 2 was lovely. Multiquotes (which 3 has too and which I asked you for a year ago !) but NOT the other rubbish.

ETA but YES, olympe, there is a symbol for threads you have posted in.

Edited by fuzzbucket

The personal note pad, the "posted:" link on posts that when you click brings up the link to that exact post. Anything that works in the same way would be appreciated.

That links in messages open in a new tab, because I know some board software would like very much to make that difficult to do.

PMs auto-quoting on reply.

And having a place to keep private little notes to yourself. (Not deathly secrets - but I doubt if anyone WANTS to know that I have a list of my promised breedings and things that people promised me that I am supposed to remind them about, and things...)

Yes, I would really want to keep this. I like the little note pad and use it all the time. Being able to track a user's ("view all posts by this user") is very helpful and I'd like to keep it. I track my own to figure out where I posted last and I track others sometimes to see if they are active on the forums anymore. I also like being able to search for members and to look at the bottom of a page to see who is reading it. I also sometimes use the online member list. About the only thing I really can't find useful is the top 10 posters/ top posters of the day/ active topics for the day. Some people might find them useful though.

What I like about this forum:

All the info that's underneath a person's name.

The PM, e-mail, AIM, report, quote, etc. links around a post.

How the quote button works.

The Site Home, Rules, Help, and Search links at the top of each page.

The Logged in as: bar, except for the My Assistant link.

*snorts* Have you watched EastEnders recently? There's a boatload more stuff on before the watershed that we've never been allowed to discuss in GD. I'd say that 99% of our discussion have been PG13 in the usual sense of the word.

There are loads of ISSUES dealt with - and threads for every last one of them are running here. But the only non-PG13 thing (well, it should be and isn't, IMHO) is violence. There is a lot of that and I hate it. But you never see actual sex except for moving sheets, nor is there ever nudity and THAT WORD has NEVER been used on the programme. Not once. (this actually came up in a quiz show once !) Even a rape was done in such a way that you didn't SEE anything.

I do actually watch EastEnders RELIGIOUSLY, and have done for years - and I am certain sure about this. It falls well within the pre 9pm rules. OCCASIONALLY some Mary Whitehouse type (apologies to anyone who never came across her) phones in to complain - they only ONCE upheld the complaint. I forget what it was about, but I do remember the press making fun of it all. xd.png

So what we have here, with the clarified rules, is just like that. We can discuss contentious ad even shocking issues but not get (unnecessarily anyway, IMHO) graphic or full of curses. If you are happy with EastEnders - then you should be OK here ! I've not seen a single issue dealt with there that hasn't and/or couldn't be discussed here. We've actually seen drug users there who are high, even (but not actually USING !)

Edited by fuzzbucket

Then on that note, what are the little features about this forum software that everyone likes and that I should make sure aren't lost if I upgrade?

I don't mean obvious things, like "I like being able to post." The message tracker is a good example; it's not common on many forums but many people reply on it.

I'm partial to the 'go to newest post' feature... it's something that has to be activated on some forums.

I like being able to 'Find all posts by this member'.

I like the list at the bottom that shows who is reading a thread and/or forum and the big list that shows everyone active on the forum and the member list link that shows who is doing what.

----------------

I'd like to see my request added.. http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=125670

I'd also like to see a better search feature.

I'd also like a better member list.. one that you can search by alphabet.

I'd also like a better profile area that allows links and formatting.

I'd also like to be able to link my scroll to the forum automatically.

----------------

I also recommend dropping Invision alltogether and trying this.. http://www.phpbb.com/

I'd also like a better member list.. one that you can search by alphabet.

I think you can do this... The list can be sorted in alphabetical order, if that's what you mean.

I would really like to be able to show more threads/posts/anything per page.

I also like the notepad feature in the profile... but that's about it.

Most of the other forums I visit & use are Simple Machines & vBulletin. Simple Machines is free/open source. Unfortunately, vBulletin is not. They just seem cleaner & more modern than Invision forums. The navigation is more along the tabbed style, the search engines are more efficient and there seems to be more ability to customize & tweak the settings - the forum host isn't as locked in. From what I've heard, SMF has better security features than Invision, too.

I don't know if it's possible to upgrade to an older upgrade version, rather than the latest, but if it is, IP.Board 2.3.6 is fantastic. It has all the good features that you see on this board at the moment, but a lot of good additions. And it's not too different to what the board is now, just better.

But any upgrades more recent than 2.3.6 are kind of horrible, in my opinion. I agree with everything fuzzbucket said. It's too different, very hard to navigate, and a lot of the features are not as good as in the older versions.

So, my opinion... I think upgrading to something newer than this but not the newest would be fantastic, if that's even an option. But if it's not and you've got to upgrade to the latest version that IPB has released, then I'd really hate to see that done, because I don't think I know anyone who has upgraded to the latest version and actually liked it.

I don't know if it's possible to upgrade to an older upgrade version, rather than the latest, but if it is, IP.Board 2.3.6 is fantastic. It has all the good features that you see on this board at the moment, but a lot of good additions. And it's not too different to what the board is now, just better.

But any upgrades more recent than 2.3.6 are kind of horrible, in my opinion. I agree with everything fuzzbucket said. It's too different, very hard to navigate, and a lot of the features are not as good as in the older versions.

So, my opinion... I think upgrading to something newer than this but not the newest would be fantastic, if that's even an option. But if it's not and you've got to upgrade to the latest version that IPB has released, then I'd really hate to see that done, because I don't think I know anyone who has upgraded to the latest version and actually liked it.

I couldn't agree more ! We in the other place I haunt were on 2.something before we went to 3. 2 was lovely. 3 is - NOT ! I bet they won't let you go for 2, though....

In that case can we a} stay where we are or b} try the other thing someone suggested. Honestly - if you go to 3, the WE ARE FEEDING BACK AND WE HATE THIS threads will be legion. sad.gif

And I agree with Cinnamin in that I would really like a profile where I can use links and formatting that actually work. ;A;

Yes. Me Gusta.

I'd also love to be able to use the 'indent' tag. This is the only forum I frequent where it doesn't work.

PLEEEASE keep the note pad in tact. that thing has become a huge live saver for me and i use it almost every day. its where i keep my important reminders and stuff, too

also, message tracking feature is nice.

but i'm also worried about what some of the other folks are saying.. do you absolutely HAVE to upgrade?

The v3 forum I am on is - rather private. But could anyone here who IS on such a forum that isn't private give TJ a link, so he can see what we would lose ?

Message tracker and being able to find all posts by a member are two things I really like.