Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Apparently I'm more used to the old (new tab) behavior than I thought. I only "instinctively" use middle-click when I'm in a topic such as "Great lineages found in the AP" where I always want to open several links in new tabs. Everywhere else, I just click the link, look at whatever it is, close the tab to go back to the forum topic... and now the forum topic is gone because it was in the tab I just closed. XD

Therefore I agree with this very much:

9 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Please, if it is in the realm of your power @TJ09, revert this to the way it was!

(Of course I should be able to get used to the change if there was a good reason for it or if a forum software update did this and it can't be reverted. In that case it would be nice to know the reason.  :) )

33 minutes ago, Naughtrish said:

Apologies if this was addressed, but my search abilities could not find it.

I find it quite annoying that when you click on a link in a post (say a transfer link) it opens in the same window, instead of opening in a new tab/window like it used to. Is it made intentionally? Any chance of reverting it?

Thanks!

Sounds like a software bug...the setting "Force posted links to open in new windows?" is already turned on.

3 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Sounds like a software bug...the setting "Force posted links to open in new windows?" is already turned on.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

... Sorry, I couldn't resist. *runs* :lol:

Just now, Confused Cat said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

... Sorry, I couldn't resist. *runs* :lol:

Interestingly enough, I have.

@TJ09

Links in signatures are opening new tab for me, mostly. Some aren't, like the purple link in Confused Cat's signature. All of the stuff in your signature is opening in new tabs for me when I just click on it.

Links in sigs - yes. Links in posts - no.

Just now, fuzzbucket said:

Links in sigs - yes. Links in posts - no.

To expand on this: For me all external links in signatures open in new tabs while forum links open in the same tab. In posts however, both forum and DC links (like teleports or lineages) seem to open in the same tab, while links to other sites (I tested with many different ones posted in General Discussion) don't. 

On 07/09/2017 at 5:16 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Would it be possible to add formatting options to the information part of our profiles? 

Any way to do this?

On 02/01/2018 at 9:29 PM, MissK. said:

In posts however, both forum and DC links (like teleports or lineages) seem to open in the same tab, while links to other sites (I tested with many different ones posted in General Discussion) don't. 

Yeah, it seems like this setting is ignored for links to the same domain. It used to be only the same subdomain (forums.dragcave.net) but maybe someone at Invision felt like having a "smart" idea.

CTRL + (left) click - it's become a habit for me, so I never noticed the difference here. :P

I wish links in forum posts would once again open up in a new tab instead of using the same one from the forum. That process quickly grates on my nerves.

Edited by Dorchet

8 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Yeah, it seems like this setting is ignored for links to the same domain. It used to be only the same subdomain (forums.dragcave.net) but maybe someone at Invision felt like having a "smart" idea.

It could be because DC links are on a whitelist of "allow search engines to follow these links" (the whitelist existing under the assumption that you don't want your forum to be associated with arbitrary sites that people might link to).

I don't know why that list would suddenly be associated with new window behavior (unless a security update introduced a bug or something).

Somehow, I don't like the feature showing "recommended posts". No matter which page of the "Fixing the Current CB Prize System" thread I look at, at the very top I always see the thread warning. Is there any way at all to take the post down where it belongs? Because I've seen it, and seen it again, and again - and I still have to see it every time I open the darn thread.

4 minutes ago, olympe said:

Somehow, I don't like the feature showing "recommended posts". No matter which page of the "Fixing the Current CB Prize System" thread I look at, at the very top I always see the thread warning. Is there any way at all to take the post down where it belongs? Because I've seen it, and seen it again, and again - and I still have to see it every time I open the darn thread.

That's the point of it.

I do hope this isn't going to happen in every thread...

And will there be ONLY one recommended post ? If not, it is really going to be a pain; we may end up with a page of them, as there are a lot of posts in most threads that merit revisiting.

Edited by fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Earth Gurl said:

That's the point of it.

I can agree that seeing the post once is the point. But having it on top every single time you open the thread is nothing if not annoying. Which is why I'd like the ability to click on the "recommended" post after reading it so I don't have it glaring at me each. And. Every. Single. Time.

I have to agree, this whole recommended post thing is very annoying and sort of concerning. Where is this going? Are all popular topics going to soon have recommended posts? Can there be more then one recommended post to a thread, 'cause as fuzz said that could get very crowded. And please please please, is there some way we can go 'okay I've seen it, can it disappear now?'. Seeing it every single time I open a thread, every single time I click to a new page in a thread, that's going to get VERY annoying in longer topics that move multiple pages within a few hours. Wanting everyone to see a certain post is fine, but after we see it can it please go away? We don't need to see it every single time we move a page in the thread.

What is actually more annoying in the only example I've seen so far is the actual post selected.

5a548436a35d5_Image1.thumb.png.2d39b4d85fe58d920e29f098eeca2227.png

Because yes the thread got nasty and had to be cleaned out and warnings given. BUT - while the post was needed at the time, it contributes nothing to the discussion. I thought recommended posts - in the thread TJ started about likes and dislikes - were to be ones people might want to read as part of the discussion. If this feature is to be a way for the mods to highlight their own warning posts, rather than one where posts a huge number of us think are particularly interesting, it - isn't much of a feature, really. I would have LOOKED at a recommended post out of interest. Given that the only one I've seen isn't interesting - they aren't probably anything I'd bother looking at now.

Don't think we need recommended posts. It is likely most recommended posts will just be mod warnings, at least by examples so far, and less for a post that could be a key part of a discussion or something. shrugs

Edited by Dorchet

Since we're discussing the pros and cons of recommended posts, what do members think about using those in News threads for things like artist credits for events/new releases? I meant to put one up in the Holiday thread, but forgot since it was such a busy time.

I am in the minority in that the mod warning at the top of a controversial thread doesn't bother me at all, even when I'm on mobile. Also, I like the idea of having the artist credits pinned to the top of news threads, and maybe keeping it updated with that thread's frequently asked questions.

Edited by LibbyLishly

There was no reason for that to post twice. :angry:

Edited by LibbyLishly

Well, it depends on whether we'll be able to make these "recommended" posts disappear, maybe after clicking (and presumably reading) them once. If that's an actual possibility, I'd love to see a number of things being put in recommended posts - thread updates, updates on news threads, or maybe if someone new takes over a DR thread. And, yes, thread warnings, too.

However, as long as we're unable to un-recommend these posts, I'd much rather do without them because they're very annoying. Especially if there's more than one of them in a given thread. If something like TLQ gets a recommended post for every perfect answer in there, you'll have to scroll through pages worth of recommended posts before finally reaching the actual thread.

Edited by olympe

32 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Since we're discussing the pros and cons of recommended posts, what do members think about using those in News threads for things like artist credits for events/new releases? I meant to put one up in the Holiday thread, but forgot since it was such a busy time.

This is what I *thought* 'recommended posts' was supposed to be used for, honestly. From the conversation in the thread about likes/dislikes, it seemed that recommended posts would be used to highlight important information regarding a new feature or release. It seems like something that could be very useful in a News thread that gathers 10+ pages overnight, to have one 'pinned' post with credits and different information, maybe like what biomes the new releases are in or how to use a new feature. 

What I do *not* want is for this 'recommended posts' thing to become some annoying in-your-face thing that appears on all popular threads and won't go away, especially when the post in question is simply a warning that doesn't actually add anything to the conversation or contain any interesting information. I'm with olympe, it seems like this 'feature' is really just going to be extremely annoying unless there is some way to say you've seen it so it can go away now.

Edited by Marie19R
typos