Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

It's not that we're low on mods (we do discuss what sections to hire for when we do apps and we do have a goal of how many mods for each we want to promote); it's that we couldn't have predicted a topic would come up that was so emotionally devastating for the both of us that we'd need a small break.

As Hazeh said, we hear you, but please be just a patient with us for just a little bit longer. You will see a re-opening of the discussion within the next few days.

NO-ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition. Don't worry about it. smile.gif

I am willing to bet it will have to end up closed again pretty fast, sadly. It's TOO raw, and will remain so, not only for those who will be so badly affected, but for those who are rejoicing. I have gone back on my request for reopening.

Edited by fuzzbucket

It's not that we're low on mods (we do discuss what sections to hire for when we do apps and we do have a goal of how many mods for each we want to promote); it's that we couldn't have predicted a topic would come up that was so emotionally devastating for the both of us that we'd need a small break.

As Hazeh said, we hear you, but please be just a patient with us for just a little bit longer. You will see a re-opening of the discussion within the next few days.

Sorry, Sock. I still think one mod for several sections is not enough. DC has lived through 3 elections (2008, 2012, and now 2016)--not including international ones-- and it is emotionally devastating, but "being unable to predict the emotional tolls" is not a good enough reason because it implies that every four years we are going to have this problem or it's going to happen whenever a mod gets too emotionally involved. I appreciate that it will eventually be opened though.

There's very little overall activity in GD, particularly that requires close attention, and too many cooks in the kitchen isn't good for anybody either.

And in my eight years of moderating DC, this is literally the first and only time a topic has come up that has caused all the mods of a section to need a short but extended break.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

There's very little overall activity in GD, particularly that requires close attention, and too many cooks in the kitchen isn't good for anybody either.

And in my eight years of moderating DC, this is literally the first and only time a topic has come up that has caused all the mods of a section to need a short but extended break.

It still doesn't look good when one of the only closely moderated topics has to be locked. Putting a track record doesn't help the argument for keeping it locked either.

It still doesn't look good when one of the only closely moderated topics has to be locked. Putting a track record doesn't help the argument for keeping it locked either.

It is simply unfortunate that the two mods for GD are both MUCH more affected by this issue than most of us.

Give them some slack, Jaz. smile.gif Looking good isn't the issue here.

I believe mods have already stated, the topic will reopen. Track records are not an issue, for members or mods.

It is simply unfortunate that the two mods for GD are both MUCH more affected by this issue than most of us.

Give them some slack, Jaz. smile.gif Looking good isn't the issue here.

The track record was referring to 8 years of general discussions, not Sock's modding abilities or individual mods looking or not looking good.

I know Haze and Sock have a lot on their plate.

But I've said my piece.

Edit: This reply also encompasses Z's post.

Edited by Jazeki

Seriously, you want comments about BSA-related suggestions being moved to the BSA section to be posted here and nowhere else? What for? So you have only one thread you need to ignore?

Or what were those off-topic removal things in the "alter Precog" thread about?

AGAIN!!! You did it freaking AGAIN!!!

A change is NOT a new BSA suggestion.

A request for change does NOT need to be moved to the BSA subforum.. where it will be ignored and forgotten like every other topic in there

A change to a BSA should be discussed in the MAIN Suggestion forum. Not moved and hidden where no one bothers to look for it. The BSA subforum is the kiss of death to any topic sent there.

Asking for change is NOT wrong, the change in question should have been in place when the BSA was added. But by hiding it away where no one will read it, the topic will die like every other thread sent there.

Thanks for nothing.. as usual, we might as well not bother to ask for anything. I'm really getting disgusted with some of the actions taken on this forum.

A request for change does NOT need to be moved to the BSA subforum.. where it will be ignored and forgotten like every other topic in there

A change to a BSA should be discussed in the MAIN Suggestion forum. Not moved and hidden where no one bothers to look for it. The BSA subforum is the kiss of death to any topic sent there.

Asking for change is NOT wrong, the change in question should have been in place when the BSA was added. But by hiding it away where no one will read it, the topic will die like every other thread sent there.

This. PLEASE can it stop.

OR can we PLEASE have a separate subforum for CHANGES to BSAs, to separate that out from cheese and graffiti...

Indeed, I have now specifically asked for this. Please join me smile.gif

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=176998

Edited by fuzzbucket

AGAIN!!! You did it freaking AGAIN!!!

Thanks for nothing.. as usual, we might as well not bother to ask for anything. I'm really getting disgusted with some of the actions taken on this forum.

Agree with this as well. It's confusing why this practice is taken up considering sprite updates (I'm looking at the Vampire update thread) is left in the Suggestions board rather than getting moved to the Dragon Requests board.

Agree with this as well. It's confusing why this practice is taken up considering sprite updates (I'm looking at the Vampire update thread) is left in the Suggestions board rather than getting moved to the Dragon Requests board.

If I understand correctly, you're saying it's confusing that a thread discussing changes to an existing BSA belongs in a subforum whose description states "... and discussing changes to existing ones [bSAs]" while a thread about existing dragons doesn't fit in a section that explicitly says "uggest new dragons?"

I'm not quite sure I agree with that sentiment. I can see the merit in disagreeing with the value of the BSA subforum, or the value of certain threads being in the BSA subforum, but questions around what should happen aside, what does happen seems pretty well-documented and—as things are currently written—shouldn't be considered unexpected.

If I understand correctly, you're saying it's confusing why a thread discussing changes to an existing BSA belongs in a subforum whose description states "... and discussing changes to existing ones [bSAs]" while a thread about existing dragons doesn't fit in a section that explicitly says "uggest new dragons?"

Well then maybe the dragon request section should include proposed updates as well then... It is a dragon request after all, so which that logic, it should be part of the request. (Not to mention a sprite update can basically look like a completely new dragon, so it does kind of fit)... However, I understand "species" and such, a simple re-word of the description:

"Suggest new dragons that you think should be added to the site here." > ""Suggest new dragons concepts and proposed updates that you think should be added to the site here."

If so, then it fit - and probably make more sense anyway...

I'm not quite sure I agree with that sentiment. I can see the merit in disagreeing with the value of the BSA subforum, or the value of certain threads being in the BSA subforum, but questions around what should happen aside, what does happen seems pretty well-documented and—as things are currently written—shouldn't be considered unexpected.

BSA subforum would be amazing... if one could weed out the fluff and fun to the others. A simple sub forum of the BSA page could work... Or even a total new subforum "Proposed Updates and Changes" which could hold sprite update work and ideas to modify existing BSA.

If I understand correctly, you're saying it's confusing that a thread discussing changes to an existing BSA belongs in a subforum whose description states "... and discussing changes to existing ones [bSAs]" while a thread about existing dragons doesn't fit in a section that explicitly says "uggest new dragons?"

It may not be undocumented (though I THINK the BSA note has changed, as I don't think it has always mentioned changes)and lord knows it is now depressingly expected - which is exactly what some of us are saying it shouldn't be ! but the fact remains that important, game-changing BSA suggestions - some of which, notably the suggestion to allow us to accept only part of a trade, is NOT in fact a change to what the magis DO with their BSA and is something we really need - get lost among things which may be fun (though many of us are totally not interested in them) but which do nothing to alter the game itself.

@bluesonic, I really don't want to derail the other thread on zombie sorting. You could look through some of the posts here on why there won't be as much merging or closing as dupes, though. (Long story short, people really don't like necro'ing because necro'ing stops fresh discussion, points, and ideas from happening.) The original thread was old, and if we'd decided to stop "necro'ing" before you created your thread, then yours would be open and the old one was closed. I am sorry your thread got merged before the change in policy. But yours was merged and now there's a new discussion on it, so I decided the new, more robust one was fine to leave open. You can talk to the OP about whatever updates you were keeping track of, though.

@bluesonic, I really don't want to derail the other thread on zombie sorting. You could look through some of the posts here on why there won't be as much merging or closing as dupes, though. (Long story short, people really don't like necro'ing because necro'ing stops fresh discussion, points, and ideas from happening.) The original thread was old, and if we'd decided to stop "necro'ing" before you created your thread, then yours would be open and the old one was closed. I am sorry your thread got merged before the change in policy. But yours was merged and now there's a new discussion on it, so I decided the new, more robust one was fine to leave open. You can talk to the OP about whatever updates you were keeping track of, though.

That's ok, I will take your advice from the other thread and re-create my old thread that got merged into a new one, condensing any ideas & discussion brought up during the old thread.

May I suggest separate news threads for different aspects of the holiday events? I'm looking for info on the new snow dragons, since the wiki page isn't quite complete yet, but everything in the "festive expeditions" thread is buried under minigame discussion.

I managed to find what I wanted with a bit of hyper-specific use of the search tool, but... (I'm aware it's a little late to change this now, but... for future reference?)

May I suggest separate news threads for different aspects of the holiday events? I'm looking for info on the new snow dragons, since the wiki page isn't quite complete yet, but everything in the "festive expeditions" thread is buried under minigame discussion.

I managed to find what I wanted with a bit of hyper-specific use of the search tool, but... (I'm aware it's a little late to change this now, but... for future reference?)

I don't mind separate threads (although that's up to TJ), but I will note that people tend to not be able to keep track of which thread is which (myself included, lol), and you can get pretty much the same problem even if you have multiple active news threads. ^^;;

If you ever want information on a dragon after it's been released but you're not sure where to find posts about it, you could also look at posts by the dragon's creator. There's a link in the top right of each user's profile that lets you look at a list of their posts.

In the Snow Dragon's case the person who would've posted about the dragon would be EscapistLore. I've done that with past releases when I don't want to look through pages of event discussion in the event and dragon release thread.

Edited by Vrack

As a counterpoint, any time there's multiple active news threads for similar things (i.e. an event and an event dragon release thread), there are discussions on both topics in both threads, which IMO hurts searchability even more.

But I don't think any policy change (and thus any further discussion) is warranted because the standard is already what you describe. This situation was a one-off thing because the event and the dragon launched at the same time; in almost all past cases the event launched earlier and got its own thread.

This is some feedback regarding the way the forum acts on a phone. I've been using my phone to browse the forum a lot lately, and this problem has only gotten more annoying.

When on the site on my computer, I'm pretty sure that people's signatures only go.so far before they are cut off or hidden. I know that someone whose name escapes me used to have a massive fanart of a two-headed Holly and you could only see the top of it whwn on a computer...but on my phone I could see all of it. It was beautiful and I'm not here to say people can't put what they like in their signatures...but it made reading any post after theirs nigh-impossible. They seem to have removed it since, but I only singled them out because that stuck in my mind. This happens all the time, and it isn't any less difficult to read through anything else a person might put in their signature.

To come around to the point, is there any way the mobile site can be coded to hide signatures after a certain length? Or make them larger, I wouldn't mind tjat either, I would just like to be able to read posts without having to hit the quote button just so I could see on a refular basis.

Edited by silver_chan

That turns off my signature too though sad.gif I've done it because it's infinitely better now, thank you; I had no idea that was an option. But I do like to see my signature and how many dragons I have, from time to time...

I guess it'll have to be what I do when I'm on my phone. Thanks again.

Can we please start a conversation about info posts in news threads? Sometime it's good (like whoever was keeping track of the drama on vday. The topic was moving so fast that people couldn't keep up) but lately it feels like half of each page is a repost of information. These posts add little to the conversation and may be better served elsewhere (like the wiki perhaps). Maybe it would be good to limit 1 repost x many pages? As it is now they serve no use to adding to on going conversation and like I said, take up half the page.

Edited by Corteo