Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Oh also.. will the forum ever notify us that we've got a new warning without checking our profile or email..? Because that still isn't happening.

*only notices 2 hours after said warning* Much good it does to know /now/.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

19 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Oh also.. will the forum ever notify us that we've got a new warning without checking our profile or email..? Because that still isn't happening.

*only notices 2 hours after said warning* Much good it does to know /now/.

There don't appear to be any settings available for sending a notification (such as a PM or email) when receiving a warning.

There is an option to require that members "acknowledge" a warning before posting again, which I've mentioned to the mods before and we think might be useful. It does seem like a bit much, though, given that individual warnings aren't particularly severe.

I'd think that having to acknowledge a warn before posting again could be extremely useful, both in the 'letting people know they got a warn' and 'showing that the user saw and understand the warn' areas. Depending on what 'acknowledging' includes, of course. Is it just like clicking a button to show you've seen it, or is it more involved?

2 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@TJ09 How does acknowledging a warning work, exactly? I wanna say it doesn't sound to bad, but I don't know what's involved with it.

35 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'd think that having to acknowledge a warn before posting again could be extremely useful, both in the 'letting people know they got a warn' and 'showing that the user saw and understand the warn' areas. Depending on what 'acknowledging' includes, of course. Is it just like clicking a button to show you've seen it, or is it more involved?

It imagine it's just being shown the warn and clicking an "I've seen this" button.

I'm going to flip the switch, so we'll find out.

3 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Hi, Terces!

The Valentine's Schedule thread exploded in the few hours I was away. When I monitored it earlier it was getting testy, but not to the point where I thought I needed to step in. After modding too heavily in previous news threads I try to step back to not be too intrusive, but this was beyond the pale. One thing I do appreciate is members getting themselves back on track without us having to close the thread down; I'm really mindful of not clamping down on conversation, and trust you all to re-orient yourselves to the topic properly. This unfortunately hit in that brief window when I couldn't clamp it down. XD 

Well, I am glad I abandoned the VS thread yesterday and only just came back to the forum. It seems like I missed - not a lot :D

But yes - banning words only leads to more and more carefully crafted insults. I know; I've crafted some myself in my time, but at 73, I have better things to do with my life. As do we all, to be honest.

7 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

The Valentine's Schedule thread exploded in the few hours I was away. When I monitored it earlier it was getting testy, but not to the point where I thought I needed to step in. After modding too heavily in previous news threads I try to step back to not be too intrusive, but this was beyond the pale. One thing I do appreciate is members getting themselves back on track without us having to close the thread down; I'm really mindful of not clamping down on conversation, and trust you all to re-orient yourselves to the topic properly. This unfortunately hit in that brief window when I couldn't clamp it down. XD 

This helps me immensely, actually. The main reason I gave the feedback that I did (not actually expecting those words to be outright banned, mind you, but hoping for SOME sort of solution) was because there was no mod handling the most outrageous posts and I didn't know if what I considered a mass insult should be reported or if the mods were being hands off because they figured it was all fine and dandy. I wound up reporting a few of them anyway. It's good to know that it was just a luck of the draw window when you didn't happen to be on. I will continue submitting reports when I see those words being used to insult whatever side I'm arguing on until I'm told to stop. alot

On a related note, I do appreciate the fact that the moderation team has become more hands off and allows discussions to be more user-managed. I like knowing I can say something that's ever-so-slightly off-topic without a mod stepping in to scold me back into line. :)

We would rather you report things than assume someone else has, or just think it's borderline.  The forum doesn't give us a long list of reports if several people report the same post - instead it tells us that multiple users have reported it!  Even if a post isn't warn worthy specifically, it does give us a heads up to keep an eye on a topic that may be about to spiral out of control.  (Always seems to happen when I'm asleep, it seems.)

I tend to only do thread reminders for off topic if the discussion has wandered way off from the purpose of the original topic.  That can be especially frustrating for the OP of a Suggestions topic if the original suggestion isn't even being discussed anymore.

Also forgot to add - I am not in favor of banning words except for outright vulgarity.  Those words can be used in other context.  The words listed can be used in other ways, and the first rule of the guidelines is always this:

Respect Others

It isn't possible to get far in the world if you refuse to respect others. Treat others kindly, don't insult them, and others will do the same in return. If you refuse to treat others well, then you will get not only a warning, but a bad reputation, which opens the door for more negativity.

As such, insulting an entire group of users using ANY words is going to be frowned upon as it is.  If not those words, I'm sure people who are bound and determined to throw insults will find others to use.

Edited by LadyLyzar

I thought mods were supposed to keep threads on topic.. not try to steal away people to an IRC chat group, then forbade anyone else they don't want from joining it. Not only is that excluding people from the conversation, it's excluding people from a discussion that could affect the future of the website.

Are you kidding me? It is so incredibly inappropriate to create an official decision-making chat that excludes the majority of the DC userbase. This is a pinned topic! It is an abuse of the position of moderator. It deepens the divide between the haves and the have-nots. I am stunned beyond belief that this is not only being tolerated but essentially blessed. It is so egregiously backwards that I think Starscream needs to step down as a moderator for abusing her position.

I sorry, I have a great deal of respect for the moderation team, but this is beyond unacceptable.

Edited by LibbyLishly

2 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

Are you kidding me? It is so incredibly inappropriate to create an official decision-making chat that excludes the majority of the DC userbase. This is a pinned topic! It is an abuse of the position of moderator. It deepens the divide between the haves and the have-nots. I am stunned beyond belief that this is not only being tolerated but essentially blessed. It is so egregiously backwards that I think Starscream needs to step down as a moderator for abusing her position.

I sorry, I have a great deal of respect for the moderation team, but this is beyond unacceptable.

I'll direct TJ to this thread for you.

Please do. I agree with her. Discussion of what needs doing here should be open to everyone. Not strongarmed by a specific group. And the idea of a petition to TJ, to be drawn up by a self-selected group of players who exclude the vast majority of us from their reasoning and discussion is just not OK.

I sent him a message, hopefully he'll address your concerns when he wakes up or has a free moment.

@Starscream this comes down more on you to handle than TJ. I understand you're an alt owner, and making a place for alt owners to vent would've been one thing (although I still find it going to extreme lengths that a support group style chat was needed). But you must also remember you are a moderator. That puts the whole thing in a weird enough place as-is, but actively encouraging people to not just vent, but to submit ideas to TJ separately from the official forums is going too far. This would be uncomfortable for a normal member to do. As a moderator making pinned topics to promote it, it's outlandish.

I'm not personally suggesting anything as extreme as resignation, but I would consider at the very least changing the tone of the thread and unpinning it, as both really do feel like abuses of moderator power.

I understand and am sorry that some alt sweet owners felt attacked. While there was some bickering, I felt the discussion as a whole was remaining fairly reasonable, but other people are not me. But again, you are official staff, and must consider how people are going to feel when you make a pinned chat room that excludes most people to discuss ideas to send to TJ. 

Moderators do a lot of work for free, and I'm grateful for it. But that thanks doesn't excuse something as eyebrow raising as this. Please consider changing the tone and making it a typical topic rather than an officially pinned one. I still think a separate discussion place is inflating feelings more than quelling them... but it would still be a lot better than what it is right now.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

it will be unpinned later tomorrow anyway, so unless TJ wishes it to be done sooner, that will be his call to make. I can't unpin it or edit it as far as I know.

Edited by Starscream

I really think it is an action not befitting of a moderator I had until today always thought well of.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

I really think it is an action not befitting of a moderator I had until today always thought well of.

I'm a chat mod, not a forum mod. I have absolutely zero power here. I have power in IRC and IRC only, ergo, I am a user here. I asked permission to post the thread, and the forum staff could have said no at any stage.

Huhhh, perhaps that's something TJ should look into. Imagine a mod pinned some random topic on accident! There should be a way to reverse it XD 

I also own alts and I found the fighting in there to be outright ridiculous.  Some of the accusations against alt owners were completely without merit and I completely understand why many would not want to respond for fear of being maligned.  I just cleaned a lot of outright falsehoods and insults out of that topic, and posts that stemmed from them.  It was not exactly the highlight of my day.

For the record, Starscream cannot pin topics herself as she is not a forum moderator.  This was a discussion among mod staff to do.  I understand this decision is controversial, but based on that topic, I feel it was necessary for alt owners to be able to speak without being shouted at.

4 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

I also own alts and I found the fighting in there to be outright ridiculous.  Some of the accusations against alt owners were completely without merit and I completely understand why many would not want to respond for fear of being maligned.  I just cleaned a lot of outright falsehoods and insults out of that topic, and posts that stemmed from them.  It was not exactly the highlight of my day.

For the record, Starscream cannot pin topics herself as she is not a forum moderator.  This was a discussion among mod staff to do.  I understand this decision is controversial, but based on that topic, I feel it was necessary for alt owners to be able to speak without being shouted at.

Thank you for tackling that, Lady Lyzar. My thread.... got hugely out of hand.

Just now, JavaTigress said:

Thank you for tackling that, Lady Lyzar. My thread.... got hugely out of hand.

Don't feel bad, it wasn't your fault.

While that makes me feel a bit better about how the process was handled, I still think a separate discussion chat that excludes the majority of players is a bad idea. Aggression in the forums should be handled here, not result in people being shipped off to closed chat rooms away from those of us who did just want to have a rational discussion.

I entirely get that they want to lick their collective wounds privately, but... I still don't think it's OK for them to get up a petition privately without other players being able to express a view.

Unless of course those who feel differently can set one up too - pink owners who want it to revert (my lot); pink owners who want it all changed (Libby's lot) and  the other various groups who DON'T have alts. No alt owners could join in.

Which is factionalising and a Bad Thing altogether,