Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Can we please start a conversation about info posts in news threads? Sometime it's good (like whoever was keeping track of the drama on vday. The topic was moving so far that people couldn't keep up) but lately it feels like half of each page is a repost of information. These posts add little to the conversation and may be better served elsewhere (like the wiki perhaps). Maybe it would be good to limit 1 repost x many pages? As it is now they serve no use to adding to on going conversation and like I said, take up half the page.

I agree with this. I think any more than one repost of information every 5 pages or so is pretty excessive.

As it is, it seems like a way to pad one's post count.

Sadly people won't go back three or six or ten pages to find an answer to their question, so they ask it even if it was answered a page back, then three or four people answer them and take up half a page. wink.gif

Sadly people won't go back three or six or ten pages to find an answer to their question, so they ask it even if it was answered a page back, then three or four people answer them and take up half a page. wink.gif

That's not really a defense of the practice of spamming release threads with info posts. That's more highlighting a problem with users not being willing to dig back even a single page.

That's not really a defense of the practice of spamming release threads with info posts. That's more highlighting a problem with users not being willing to dig back even a single page.

Counter point: You can't exactly change user behavior with ease. Not that I disagree, but idk how to shift this particular DC cultural paradigm.

It was just an observation, not a defense. But I have seen it play out over and over again.

If there were some way to secure a post on the first page of an announcement, and then have someone update that post regularly with info as it is gathered, that could work. Though if not mod-maintained it would really have to be the user's responsibility.

I tend to agree, but alas Marri has a point too - I've seen people furiously demand some piece of information that they would have found if they'd bothered to look three posts above theirs on the same page. Conclusion: People are mostly hopeless...

I tend to agree, but alas Marri has a point too - I've seen people furiously demand some piece of information that they would have found if they'd bothered to look three posts above theirs on the same page.  Conclusion:  People are mostly hopeless...

Yup. Ain't gonna happen; ain't gonna work.

And actually I would rather have those posts than pages of "squee I got a red one....."

Edited by fuzzbucket

A more actionable solution would be for someone who keeps track of the thread and has a first page post to use that first page post as a repository of information.

People may not be willing to look at the page before their post to find a certain piece of information, but then again, how are they supposed to know where to look in the first place, especially if the thread is 30+ pages long already?

So, in order to preserve everyone's nerves, it might be a good idea to have an info post, either as the first post after the OP or as part of the OP where everything people have already figured out can be spelled out for everyone to find easily.

I agree that the best solution is to always have an info post directly under TJ's post. It would be updated with things like important insights from the thread, where the new eggs are found and what their descriptions are, and any other important information that people might ask. The issue is getting that post and having it taken by someone who is willing to edit that stuff in, or at least have mods edit their post.

Without that, it really is best to almost spam such information, as people don't dig. Although I do understand why people don't dig. The news posts tend to have quite a bit of "fluff" content, and there's no guarantee that the information you want even exists, let alone is within a reasonable number of pages. If it's on the newest page, it means fewer people asking for that exact information, which is a benefit overall. That same benefit would exist if it's directly under TJ's post, at least once people realize that this is now a thing.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

People may not be willing to look at the page before their post to find a certain piece of information, but then again, how are they supposed to know where to look in the first place, especially if the thread is 30+ pages long already?

So, in order to preserve everyone's nerves, it might be a good idea to have an info post, either as the first post after the OP or as part of the OP where everything people have already figured out can be spelled out for everyone to find easily.

Personally, I manage it by skim-reading and sometimes Ctrl+F. And there's always the forum search function, theoretically. It really isn't that people can't - it's that they (seemingly) won't.

I believe TJ could reserve the first post after the announcement, and enable mod editing for it? Then someone like Socky (or one of the mods from the section) could keep it updated. I'm sure people would catch on pretty fast that this was a thing. And if not, and they're asking in the thread, there would be plenty who would direct them there.

If he reserves the post then we don't have to be concerned about someone being fast enough to grab the slot. It would always be there.

@Amazon_Warrior: Try doing a search for "sprite change" or "Valentine drama" in this year's thread. The results probably won't be pretty, much less useful.

Can we please start a conversation about info posts in news threads? Sometime it's good (like whoever was keeping track of the drama on vday. The topic was moving so fast that people couldn't keep up) but lately it feels like half of each page is a repost of information. These posts add little to the conversation and may be better served elsewhere (like the wiki perhaps). Maybe it would be good to limit 1 repost x many pages? As it is now they serve no use to adding to on going conversation and like I said, take up half the page.

Hey, Corteo, you could have PMed me not to keep sharing the time post.

Even so, I agree that there should be a designated info post regarding releases (or mods should edit the first post like they do for holidays and events).

The only reason I even shared it to begin with was that people weren't reading the thread to find the info whether it was two pages or two posts ahead of them.

Now that I've seen it's not wanted though, I'll stop posting. Frankly, I'm surprised the wiki hasn't updated with the time chart. It's still listed as a "speculation" on their release page.

Even so, I agree that there should be a designated info post regarding releases (or mods should edit the first post like they do for holidays and events).

The only reason I even shared it to begin with was that people weren't reading the thread to find the info whether it was two pages or two posts ahead of them.

Now that I've seen it's not wanted though, I'll stop posting. Frankly, I'm surprised the wiki hasn't updated with the time chart. It's still listed as a "speculation" on their release page.

For the record, I'm grateful and happy you did that. It allowed me to catch the colors I needed, without having to dig back too far to find the post.

And I think the answer to that is that it's a rule for the wiki that until the artist has confirmed it, they can't confirm anything as real. That's why they still insist on saying that eggs are 'rumored' to be two-headed even if they're normal-sized and Vampires can't bite them.

Jazeki, I wasn't referring to your post in particular, but the trend over all that we have had in the last few news threads. smile.gif

Jazeki, I wasn't referring to your post in particular, but the trend over all that we have had in the last few news threads. smile.gif

Ah. Okay. I do agree though. I think that there should be an easily updated "info" post.

I don't think most people actually mind and I am on the side of don't fix what is not broken. I would rather people not chit chat to the point of replying to every single post than the actual repost of helping info. Seen plenty of people post just a picture or smiley too that adds nothing. I myself referred to jazeki's reposts every single time I went hunting and if there was a rep system, I am sure jazeki would have gained thousands by now. I have not seen such a trend enough to be an issue in any other release thread either, whenever a tricky release (like this one with time criteria) happens, I don't see why people can't help each other, and yes if that help means post every page then so be it. I am not in favour of anymore moderation on the topic, god knows we already have plenty on everything.

I believe TJ could reserve the first post after the announcement, and enable mod editing for it? Then someone like Socky (or one of the mods from the section) could keep it updated. I'm sure people would catch on pretty fast that this was a thing. And if not, and they're asking in the thread, there would be plenty who would direct them there.

If he reserves the post then we don't have to be concerned about someone being fast enough to grab the slot. It would always be there.

This sounds like a good idea to me. It would keep information centralized and the amount of editing required shouldn't be too arduous for us to take care of.

@Amazon_Warrior: Try doing a search for "sprite change" or "Valentine drama" in this year's thread. The results probably won't be pretty, much less useful.

...Note that I said theoretically. There was absolutely no need to do anything of the sort in that instance, a quick skim of recent pages in the News post was plenty sufficient.

I'm with silver_chan - I was very grateful to you. It was much more interesting than biggrin.gif and I bet it cut down on at least some of the "what time are the reds due" and so on.

Wiki - well, as is always said on these occasions - it isn't official...

I really appreciated that post, Jazeki. It was accurate and useful information and it really helped me a lot.

Wiki - well, as is always said on these occasions - it isn't official...

It seems that the time chart is now on the wiki for assistance. :3

Anyway, I'm glad my post could help everyone.