Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Decrease the overall brightness contrast and i can handle it.

I really like that piece of art as a desktop background but for the forum the very bright part on the left and then the very dark part on the right is distracting me and gives me a headache. And then this shiny white in the middle that really hurts... Sorry that was too much cannot say anything about font or whatever had to change back as soon as i saw that.

It is very sad to see that there will be no longer the tiny scrolls or the eggs. sad.gif This give this forum its soul. Without them it is just another plain and soulless thing.

So i still use the old Blackout skin for the main site and for the forum i can live with the Spring skin. There are the colours and contrast easy for my eyes, especially if i use fullscreen for my browser.

Should the only skin available this new skin i am forced to leave the forum or use Stylish and hopefully there will be a style to use for the Dragoncave Forum.

I honestly think, among other issues, the text on the new skin needs to be thicker. Even with fuzz's greyscale suggestion, the text is still much too thin. I can't make it out.

I honestly think, among other issues, the text on the new skin needs to be thicker. Even with fuzz's greyscale suggestion, the text is still much too thin. I can't make it out.

*cough*

It's a LOT clearer than it looks - but as these were member-only areas and it isn't THIS place, I didn't exactly try and make it all shiny clear, It is VERY easy to read when you are actually there - the thread is as easily read as the topic list.

OK - we have been asked to bring the issue over here from news so - the new forum skin is very decorative and pretty and all - but impossible for many of us to use because of the contrast and the brightness.

TJ has said the other skins (which many of us are having to use so that we can READ !) will be retired in the end. Can we PLEASE have a facility as is available on every other forum I am on with no updating needed, to view the forum in a vanilla plain skin something like this: user posted image

user posted image

It wouldn't need special designing or anything; as I understand it (asked another forum owner and she said this) you just set something in the code to say "basic skin" and whatever is there is just shown that way if the option is selected. Otherwise I, with 70year old eyes, and others far worse off than I am (retinitis pigmentosa has been mentioned and glaucoma would be a nightmare) will have to use no style - which is a nightmare to read.

I like it as I also have issues with white backgrounds. I too have eyes that need extra help.

I never liked the original skin. I'm not fond of the new skin. I use the blue skin exclusively. If the blue skin or another eye friendly skin becomes not an option, I don't know what I will do. I hope this issue can be resolved for those of us with vision issues. I will be waiting to see how this progresses. It's an issue that is important to me and as is shown by the responses here and elsewhere to many others.

The contrast on the new skin is *way* too hard for my eyes. I have eye problems as well, and I honestly cannot use the new skin without getting a headache. I'm getting a little paranoid at this point, because TJ mentioned the other skins will go away if/when the forum gets upgraded, and if that happens I will be forced to leave the forum because I simply cannot use the new skin. And that makes me really, really sad.

I agree with everyone calling for a forum theme with less contrast. I completely understand the surge of requests for a new theme.

But since this isn't a thread solely about that, here're some other requests:

- A way to mention someone in a post so that they know they're being talked about (perhaps something like [mention]User Name[/mention])

- Have tracked threads in a more prominent/accessible area

- Ability to be notified when there's a new thread in News (I've tried subscribing but it doesn't email me)

- Ability to quote multiple posts at once

- Quoted quotes shouldn't disappear (If you quote a post with a quote in it, the quote disappears and you're left with an empty space.)

- Ability to take down one's poll rather than needing a mod to do it

- Better interface for composing/creating polls

Of course, I don't expect all of these to be added. I just think we should widen our requests beyond just a theme with lower contrast.

Edited by Vrack

I feel like there is a weird two-steps-forward, one-step-back thing going on with the new forum layout. Like...

Pro: More DC-looking

Con: Less DC-looking

The header and sidebar art are a good idea, to keep it looking more or less in keeping with the current DC main page. I almost thought I had failed to open the forum, at first!

At the same time, I am *very* sad to lose the scroll icons for threads (new posts, no new posts, closed thread, poll, etc); those, to me, were very "Dragon Cave themed" and unique. In addition, they were much easier to spot changes in at a glance. The new thread icons are tiny and the "fade" effect is difficult to spot, and they are just...generic.

Overall, I feel like the whole thing looks *more* generic than before: generic font, generic icons, generic buttons... Also, and this is just a personal preference, but I can't stand the current trend of buttons without any outline, like just flat toned squares. Especially because it is so... MacOS/Windows 10? And Dragon Cave is so "old-fashioned high fantasy?" I would FAR prefer 1) buttons with an old-fashioned 'fake 3D' edge to them at the very least, if not scrolls or something else even more specifically themed, 2) a return to the old thread icons, and 3) a serif font, with a thicker line width.

For the sake of everyone's eyeballs, please, please, please, a neutral background tone! And the art on the sides is a good idea, but it needs to be a consistent value and lower-contrast or it is distracting and/or painful to have there. It could work well if it were just stone, like what we see on the far right, but without the 'daylight' or the 'dark cave interior' aspects.

I realize this is a load of nit-picks, and I'm SURE it's a good thing overall to make a forum style that can line up with a programming upgrade, with minimal impact later on down the road. I don't mean to dismiss anyone's efforts to make the site run well! Just stating my two cents on the matter. I know that, as an artist, too, I'm probably *too* inclined to imagine a more heavily themed forum style.

I agree with everyone calling for a forum theme with less contrast. I completely understand the surge of requests for a new theme.

But since this isn't a thread solely about that, here're some other requests:

- A way to mention someone in a post so that they know they're being talked about (perhaps something like [mention]User Name[/mention])

- Have tracked threads in a more prominent/accessible area

- Ability to be notified when there's a new thread in News (I've tried subscribing but it doesn't email me)

- Ability to quote multiple posts at once

- Quoted quotes shouldn't disappear (If you quote a post with a quote in it, the quote disappears and you're left with an empty space.)

- Ability to take down one's poll rather than needing a mod to do it

- Better interface for composing/creating polls

Of course, I don't expect all of these to be added. I just think we should widen our requests beyond just a theme with lower contrast.

I don't believe a lot of these will be touched until/if the forum is upgraded. As TJ says when this kind of thing comes up:

The usual response about the forum software not supporting this feature, and my being unwilling to develop new features on top of this software, apply here as well.

If an upgrade happens in the future, and the upgraded version does not support this, feel free to post your suggestion again.

(Also, stacked quotes were disabled years ago as they were causing ridiculously long quote chains.)

It is very sad to see that there will be no longer the tiny scrolls or the eggs. sad.gif This give this forum its soul. Without them it is just another plain and soulless thing.

This is the part I miss the most and why I switched to an older forum theme (the Spring one, just to try something new, haha). It really bothers me that we can't tell at a glance whether something has new replies to it or not--I know that the new layout has things bolded, but that's not enough for me to see them at a glance, and sometimes at all, really. The scrolls and eggs are a distinctive and unique part of the forum and I will miss them if we're all eventually forced to use the new layout.

I don't really have a lot of time, but gathering from the last few posts this seems to have been brought up.

In many ways I love the new skin, but, could we please have the old topic icons back?

The scroll icons were just so unique, especially the burned and charred one for a closed topic, but the new stars and pens... They just look plain, boring and far too modern for DC IMO.

I don't believe a lot of these will be touched until/if the forum is upgraded. As TJ says when this kind of thing comes up:

The usual response about the forum software not supporting this feature, and my being unwilling to develop new features on top of this software, apply here as well.

Invision DOES support a vanilla skin actually. Even the old version we are on - though it may be too late to modify that without upgrading, and upgrading to newer ones means no archiving of messages. sad.gif

But the forums I used to be on that left invision when it upgraded in nasty ways like the messages thing used it - and they had admins FAR less tech savvy than TJ; people like ME !!! I'm not aware of ANY forum software that doesn't have it as a built in automated feature. Just saying, as we NEED this with the new layout.

I don't particularly mind about other features being added or removed, even the nice eggies and scrolls laugh.gif (unless messaging turns into non-archivable CONVERSATIONS - yuk) - just as long as the forum works but an alternative to the skin that cannot be used by many members is critical.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Invision DOES support a vanilla skin actually.

?

My post was directly replying to Vrack (hence why I only quoted them), who I'm pretty sure did suggest some (not all of them but some, I think) things that require developing new features on top the current forum software.

Invision DOES support a vanilla skin actually. Even the old version we are on - though it may be too late to modify that without upgrading, and upgrading to newer ones means no archiving of messages. sad.gif

But the forums I used to be on that left invision when it upgraded in nasty ways like the messages thing used it - and they had admins FAR less tech savvy than TJ; people like ME !!!  I'm not aware of ANY forum software that doesn't have it as a built in automated feature. Just saying, as we NEED this with the new layout.

I don't particularly mind about other features being added or removed, even the nice eggies and scrolls laugh.gif  (unless messaging turns into non-archivable CONVERSATIONS - yuk) - just as long as the forum works but an alternative to the skin that cannot be used by many members is critical.

The blue skin that is currently available is literally the "vanilla" IPB skin with a few images replaced. As such, I haven't quite been able to understand what the discussion regarding needing such a thing is about; it's already there. Whenever the forum gets upgraded, those exact skins will indeed be lost, but I don't see why the new default IPB skin won't be adapted for DC.

That said, much of this new skin is based around the default IPB3 skin. That's kind of a lot of the point; doing a migration in steps (First making thing look similar, then doing the actual upgrade so that it's not combining a brand new visual style with everything moving around).

To be honest I've no idea what everyone is talking about. The new update is fine for me. In fact, I'm already used to it. I would be disappointed if it were taken away or changed so soon.

As somebody with bad eyes myself...the brightness actually *helps* me. Dim, dark websites are harder for me to see. And even with that being said, I don't really think the new skin is that bright at all. It's like, 2% brighter than the old forum skin. It's sleek, more organized and definitely an improvement on the whole.

The blue skin that is currently available is literally the "vanilla" IPB skin with a few images replaced. As such, I haven't quite been able to understand what the discussion regarding needing such a thing is about; it's already there. Whenever the forum gets upgraded, those exact skins will indeed be lost, but I don't see why the new default IPB skin won't be adapted for DC.

That said, much of this new skin is based around the default IPB3 skin. That's kind of a lot of the point; doing a migration in steps (First making thing look similar, then doing the actual upgrade so that it's not combining a brand new visual style with everything moving around).

Thank you, TJ. wub.gif As long as we WILL still have a vanilla skin. The implication was that the other skins will be retired - and that sounded like it included the blue - which I and many others with "eyes" use. I just wanted to make sure that such a thing will still be available. We need it to remain available, I should have said.

But if we are heading for IBP3 - please make sure that message archiving and downloading that archive is still available. You're clever enough that you can get around it, I think - the admins of the forum I was on that migrated because of this weren't able to, - and the messages also became "conversations. Ugh.

@sock - I know, but this issue is so important - much more so than the eggs, the scrolls and the suggested notifications etc. that I didn't want it to get lost if people start to discuss those instead !

Will there be a blue/winter and green+pink/spring version of the new style?

If this has already been answered, link me.

On the Layout, I am back to the Blue Layout after a few days of the new one. I like the new layout, but it's too white. And where there is color, I'm not a red fan. I would really like a version with more of the blues or soft blues to white transitions. It is just easier on my eyes.

Not something you need to do, I do enjoy the new layout and am so glad to see it (sorry, the old red one had everything wrong TJ already explained with it.) But I don't like red. It has never been an easy or gentle color. Color Psychology shows this. Blue is a much more gentle color. I need a gentle color for my forums that doesn't make me fire up. I know some people love dark or black or dreary colors. That is ok. I am just a gentle color light color person. Some love neon. I would certainly say the next step is to make something that isn't quite so white and sharp but otherwise the new design is great.

If you need any feedback, that is my feedback. Otherwise, I'm just back to my happy blue and I'm ok with that.

Thank you, TJ. wub.gif As long as we WILL still have a vanilla skin. The implication was that the other skins will be retired - and that sounded like it included the blue - which I and many others with "eyes" use. I just wanted to make sure that such a thing will still be available. We need it to remain available, I should have said.

Those skins are being retired. That is to say, that exact design will go away and be replaced with whatever default IPB3 provides, so anyone used to the old design will have to instead acclimate to the new one.

I don't think we will have trouble acclimating -- as long as there is some option that is easy on the eyes! That is the biggest complaint I am seeing about the new one and it is a serious issue for those with any sort of vision problem or sensitive eyes.

Those skins are being retired. That is to say, that exact design will go away and be replaced with whatever default IPB3 provides, so anyone used to the old design will have to instead acclimate to the new one.

I will adapt as long as my eyes can handle it. Too much contrast and/or other issues that will cause irritations to my eyes and i am forced to leave the forum. But that will not be the same DC experience as before. All that lineage projects and trading... blink.gif

TJ, while I understand you have to update the site, could you please consider making the text a bit thicker on the new skin? And the silver text lighter colour?

I don't think we will have trouble acclimating -- as long as there is some option that is easy on the eyes! That is the biggest complaint I am seeing about the new one and it is a serious issue for those with any sort of vision problem or sensitive eyes.

I neither have eye problem nor sensitive eyes and the theme is still quite stressful. It gives a headache to any normal person even without any issues. If anyone were to do a count of opinions in news thread I am sure one would see a big number of members have a problem.

I have no issues with leaving the new theme alone and but my issue is that if older skins are discontinued or exact similar skins with minimal unavoidable changes aren't made in ipb3 then it's going to challenge my very ability to surf forum longer than five minutes. I strongly feel it's a good idea to test and keep at least a couple of themes ready for new forum software in the background before upgrading the main forum.

The new skin being the ONLY option is a big problem for me. It is just too harsh on my eyes. I like everything else about it. So I need something that makes it easier on the eyes like the Blue one (Is that called Winter?) does for me. It is calming, easy to view, peaceful, whatever.

I really like what you did with the new one. However, it's too harsh on my eyes after a period of time. If that is what I am forced to use, I am going to have an issue using the forum for extended periods of time.

I am under the impression that you are, as you have in the past, going to have at least one or two different color themes but the same layout. If you aren't, that is your call. I just won't be able to use the forums. If I can't use the forums, I can't play this game since I play most of the game via the forums. I mean, I play games and move on after awhile after so much time.

If I can't visually use the forums, I will have to retire from DC. That isn't meant to be a threat or anything, I'm just explaining I need to be able to visually stare at something for extended periods of time to use it.

So I hope I am not mistaken in my understanding that at least one or two other color variations of the same layout (I understand you may tweak it a bit still). If I am wrong, I will be very disappointed. I think many people would be as well.

TJ, while I understand you have to update the site, could you please consider making the text a bit thicker on the new skin? And the silver text lighter colour?

The text color on both the new and old skins is #000--pure black. And the font size went from 12px on the old skin to 13px on the new one.