Qwackie

Cats

I have 2 cats. One is mostly black with a few white patches on his nose, chest and feet. His name is Timmy and he is the fiesty one. And he is very fat. Chloe is calico with a hint of tabby in her fur. She is normally quiet but she catches most prey and we often find mice in our flowerbeds.

That's about what a breeder will charge for their kttens, yes. Getting a properly bred kitten is every bit as expensive as getting a properly bred dog. A chances are if you're not being charged that it's either 1) a back yard breeder or 2) not a proper pedigree in the first place.

Why are you rehoming your older cat?

Our problem with the Bengal kitten was that we didn't know it was from a breeder until he actually started to talk about heritage and pricing. It was listed on craigslist and appeared to be a motherless kitten, so we assumed it was just some person who had a kitten and didn't know what to do with it. And we had also done some research on Bengal breeders in our area, and quite a few were pricing kittens within the four hundred or five hundred dollar range, and they all appeared to be credited appropriately. We weren't looking for a purebred show cat, though, we just really liked the description of the breed and jumped at the chance to get one.

We are rehoming Lyra for a few reasons. First, she has severe separation anxiety and has to be on medication for it, since I'm a college student and can't exactly change my schedule to suit her. Then, since we've brought the kitten home, she's been having a lot of issues, and it's come to our attention that she would be suited to an only-cat home that had someone there for the majority of the time. I would have rehomed the kitten first, had Lyra not had her issues before, but she really is not meant to be a cat for a college student, especially if I would have to take her with me when I move out in a couple years. I don't think she needs that kind of stress, and I just want her to be happy.

So yeah, that's why. There's this old retired guy that's been with Siamese cats for over forty years and likes to build cat tree-like things, and I feel that would make her much happier than her current environment.

That probably rules out siamese, orientals and burmese as well then. I've known all of those breeds have trouble with other cats. Or, actualy, I should say I've known other cats have trouble with those breeds. We've often joked that siamese don't speak cat, and the average moggy just doesn't understand what this thing that has arrived in the house is.

Best thing to do is to come up with a list of what's most important to you, and put it in order from most important down to least. I can probably come up with some suggestions once I know everything your looking for in a cat smile.gif

Well, I've spoken to some people who own/are fanatics about bengals and so far they think Dango will be decent with one, so bengals are still on my list. But a breed list of backups would be nice to have, so sure.

(minor rant about my cat ahead)

The number one priority is getting on with my current cat. My moggie Dango is a very playful cat (he'll play with da bird until he's panting, and I still have to hide it so he doesn't keep going) and very affectionate, but he does spend much of his time sleeping. He isn't a lap cat, but he's very content to sleep on the pillow next to me, for instance. He is VERY sociable even in strange situations. Car rides, the vet, meeting new people, being in new places... he does not show fear and is immediately curious. This curiosity is a very defining feature of his and so he is constantly poking his nose where it probably doesn't belong (as long as he thinks I am not watching him. He'll keep doing it in plain sight of me if it seems like I'm too busy to stop him). He is also very vocal -- at the shelter they had pegged him as Siamese but he's a cross at best. They think he was a redpoint, but he has big splotches of color down his back and legs and face, which I believe is not supposed to happen in color-point Siamese.

On my own interests, I would like to have an affectionate, outgoing cat. I lucked out with Dango because he's very much what I was looking for. I understand if the cat is much less outgoing than he is, as long as it will come around eventually. I don't need the cat to be a lap cat, but I do want the companionship so if she isn't friendly it won't work out. I want to be able to tell she likes me. xd.png Intelligence in a cat is a double edged sword (more trouble!) but I am interested in walking a cat and teaching tricks so that could be handy as well. I like shorthairs more than longhairs in most situations.

And as a starting point... my favorite breeds are Abyssinians (and Somalis), Egyptian Maus, Ocicats, Japanese Bobtails, and of course Bengals. If you can tell I have a bit of a thing for spotty cats.

There have been cats around me all my life (22 years).

I cuurently have 4 cats--3 male 1 female.

Monster's a red with white.

Miyo's a white with red.

Norrit's black with a white throat.

And Bella's grey and she is the only one with a balance disorder due to a fall on her head.

None of them are a specific breed.

ok so i'm bumping this pretty much dead thread

but i wanna share

i have iggy and pop. they are my two newest leopard gecko's... i am guessing them to be less then a month old - http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/Got...ko/Untitled.png

and i have fluffy ... she is around 4 to 5 years old http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/Got...cko/102_0016.jp

I have 2 parakeets of which have no names as of yet....

and a bunch of feeder roaches, crickets, and meal worms

Sins, I would love to see a picture of your current kitten : D And our kittens would get together so well.

Tiki, while my landlords are restricting me to one pet currently, should I move/if their minds can be changed, what cat personality/breed would you suggest for me?

Saffron, the current fuzzface, is a playful, friendly, and pretty laidback cat. She's full of energy, but she takes change in stride. Introduced to a large, playful dog for the first time? Best friends in a week. Sister comes over with her kitten occasionally? Willing to tolerate after a visit or two. Sister's dog occasionally visits, willing to make friends after about a month of seeing him. She did tend to get a little overwhelmed when my sister's kitten pounced on her, but when that stopped she was much more willing to be around Pumpkin. Saff's a moggie, as well, so who knows what's in there.

I personally love cats that are willing to talk and play with me. That's really my only requirement, something willing to be shut indoors all day (D8 highways and stray dogs) and something willing to interact with me.

Today I gave my cat some catnip. smile.gif Was so funny what he did! He's not pushy to get anything accept for this! he was shoving me pretty hard to get his whole head in the bag! I was afread he wouldve killed himself somehow!

Ah, I was a little disappointed that my cat doesn't react to catnip. xd.png Completely unaltered by it.

And sure; I'll get a picture up of him in a little while.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

My kitten doesn't care for it, but my older cat will purr and roll around in it.

This thread is to express yourself of pets and say stuff about them.

I have 2 pet guinea pigs and I was so excited when my mom got me some. I eventually taught them tricks and you can see a video of them I made here:

watch it if you like. I taught them very well. They like carrots and i used that to my advantage

Feel free to tell us about your experiences

Animals. |D I have waaay too many of them now. orz

-Three cats. Rusty and Sammy are Ragdolls, (Rusty being a red mitted and Sammy a seal colorpoint), and Sakura is a grey-brown Bengal mix.

-Two lizards. One leopard gecko named Cat, and a side-blotched lizard called Sozan. Had another leopard gecko called Isa, but we gave her to my cousin because she was a censorkip.gif

-Two Green Spotted puffer fish. Their names are Kandi and Buttons, but we just call them Lady Puffer and Mr. Puffer, respectively.

-A quarter horse named Tango. She lives up in Oregon at my cousins equestrian center because we don't have much room - or money - to keep her down here. I only get to see her for two weeks a year.

-A sun conure named Frankie. He's just Frankie, 'nuff said.

-A ball python. I took him from my friend to take care of him for the night and they moved away the next day without picking him up. lD I still don't know what to name him.

-A crowntailed betta called Ruka that lives in the single most colorful 1-gallon tank I've ever seen. lD

-A jackrabbit named Peter. He was outside and after feeding him countless carrots, we tamed him and my parents said we could keep him in an outdoor cage.

-And of course, let's not forget my 30 gallon and 20 gallon tanks. The first one is freshwater, and has a herd of tetra's, gourami's, and loaches. The second is marine, and as I just got it from a friend before I left for vacation it is still cycling and only has some living coral and an anemony, no fish yet.

-And I used to have two Pug dogs, Yoda and Peanut. Yoda had cancer and had to be put down, and Peanut died of old age. We also had another ragdoll cat, Muggzy (Was somehow derived from 'Smuggy,' lol) who was hit by a car.

I have a beautiful guinea pig named Lilia. She is an American Satin guinea pig. She is turning 3 years old December 24. And, no that is her real birth-day. She gave birth to two beautiful twins, a boy and a girl. The boy was Rusty and the girl was Lila. We gave them back to the pet store because we did not have a big enough cage. And, the babies were not bred. For some odd reason we got from a pet store and she was pregnant. That is how the little twins came to the world.

And here is Lilia

Well, we have a new kitten. We haven't decided on the spelling of her name, but I'll refer to her as Alex (even though it's not her name spelling).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Widget is totally angry at her. Hissing and following her, so I scooped Alex up and she's in my lap now. I love lap kitties. wub.gif

She's black and white, and her nose has a slight trace of pink. Her paws and belly are white and she has a white streak across her nose leather. She's so cute.

~Cavey

I love cats! They're just beautiful and adorable and very often sweet and friendly too. I have two who are 9-year-old brothers, one entirely black and one grey tabby, neither any breed in particular. They're both quite big (and the tabby's rather chubby >.>) but also very patient and gentle. Neither of them are all that big on strangers, but the black one is so shy that many visitors don't believe that we have two cats at all! (They aren't like that around people they know, though.)

I love animals in general, but I'm definitely a cat person. I grew up around them and have owned at least one all but two years of my life. When it comes to breeds, I really like Siamese and other pointed cats, and I'd like to own one eventually (as in: not happening for quite a while), although I'd have to do more research to see if I would actually be suited to owning this breed of cat. That said, if I were to spend 10 minutes Googling breeds of cats, I'd end up with a huge list of favourites. I just love cats.

I'm totally a cat person. We have 5 cats(four adults and a kitten) living in the house plus a mother and 6-toed kitten living in our barn...they all love me...I wish I had my own place and my own cat(which may be soon happening and I might be taking the 6-toed kitten)

My current own cat is a giant fluffy black one(about 18lbs) who thinks hes a total snow ninja...he thinks he can totally blend with the snow when its there to get closer to birds....suffice to say...GIANT black fluff ninja in snow does not equal good plan for close up bird watching....

Edited by nekodiscord

I think I'm going to order a walking jacket for my moggie and try to take him out on the lead. Does anyone else do this?

I think I'm going to order a walking jacket for my moggie and try to take him out on the lead. Does anyone else do this?

Never heard of a walking jacket for a cat, I admit, but we did have one that we used to take out for walks on a harness (he was deaf, and with the roads in the South East not safe to be allowed out otherwise). As long as you teach them to do it from being a kitten it's fine.

Although Wordy did eventualy learn how to let himself off the harness. It was one of the extendable type leads (so he could climb trees while he was out if he wanted) and he figured out that if he ran it to it's full length, or if we otherwise stopped it running out, he could simply twist his body and he'd be out of it. Not sure exactly how he was doing the twisting, mind, bloody cat must have been a contortionist.

Look fine to me. Probably much less chance of cats doing what Wordy used to do in those rather than a harness. Do be careful how tightly you do up the neck piece, though, especially if you're planning to let your cat climb trees while you're out with them. Measure to the one finger they recommend, but when you put it on make sure you can get two fingers under there (same as if you were fitting any collar on a cat, really).

I've grown up with dogs so in a question about Cat or Dog I'd say dog. But I still like cats. My new landlady's got a female Norwegian Forest Cat who's a real cutie. She likes to come inside and demand petting when I've got my door open so it seems like she likes me.

Kinda wish she wouldn't drag in ticks though. The landlady says she's got some sort of repellant put on her but I can still find them on the cat.

I love cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! their not my favorite animal though. but my favorite is the panther. there is actually a were-panther in the book that I'm writing. laugh.gif

user posted image

Edited by scarlet-firesong

I have two, a tortoiseshell named Vesper and a gray tabby named Matins. Both very sweet. I used to think cats were so dignified and graceful... now after living with them for a few years I think of them as total goofballs who like to spend most of their time belly-up on the living room floor making funny noises.

We adopted them from the shelter as adults, which I highly recommend for anybody thinking about it. It let us choose the ones who went limp and purred when we picked them up, rather than the ones who sank their teeth into our hands. With kittens, you never know what you're going to get when they grow up. I'm a little scared of adopting kittens. ^.^; Deadly cute, though.

Matins does like to go out for walks, and he took to the harness and leash right away. Vesper prefers to stay indoors, where there's heating and pillows.