Qwackie

Cats

I have an adorable kitten named Cleopatra(Cleo)~

She is extremely sweet and then she claws your leg X3

user posted image

Hehe, she's on my dad's shoulder.

How do you deal with a cat that keeps using the plants as a litter box? We've sprayed them over but Alyx might start again. My dad says if she doesn't knock it off we might give her away, and I don't want to get rid of my cuddleball. sad.gif

~Cavey

With kittens, you never know what you're going to get when they grow up. I'm a little scared of adopting kittens. ^.^; Deadly cute, though.

Yeah, you do. It's just down to how you raise it. Your actions when you have a kitten will directly influence the adult cat it grows up to be. The one's that bit your hand had simply not be raised properly when they were kittens.

Bit like kids, really wink.gif

How do you deal with a cat that keeps using the plants as a litter box? We've sprayed them over but Alyx might start again. My dad says if she doesn't knock it off we might give her away, and I don't want to get rid of my cuddleball.

Plants outdoors or plants indoors?

Incidently - hasn't your Dad threatened to get rid of the cat several times in the past? If he's that anti is it really a good idea to have one in the first place?

We adopted them from the shelter as adults, which I highly recommend for anybody thinking about it. It let us choose the ones who went limp and purred when we picked them up, rather than the ones who sank their teeth into our hands. With kittens, you never know what you're going to get when they grow up. I'm a little scared of adopting kittens. ^.^; Deadly cute, though.

Matins does like to go out for walks, and he took to the harness and leash right away. Vesper prefers to stay indoors, where there's heating and pillows.

Totally opposite for me. You never know what kind of issues adult cats have because they can't be properly assessed in the shelter, especially if they're picked up off the street. That's what happened with my adult cat. We thought she was this wonderful cat (which, don't get me wrong, she totally is) but she ended up having separation anxiety, and because of it, I have to rehome her now. My moms are now very reluctant to adopt older cats because you just don't know what kinds of things they might have gone through as younger cats and how it's going to affect them in the future. Younger cats like kittens don't have those kind of molding experiences and are much more pliable personality-wise. Of course, you should always get one that exhibits signs of the personality you're looking for, too x3

We also have a kitten who fits in perfectly. She was very friendly at the shelter, but quiet and more placid because she had just had surgery. She got ill, so she was very touchyfeely with us and had to be held all the time. Then when she recovered, we saw her true personality. She's such a bubbly, goofy kitten xd.png

My older cats like the leash and harness too for outdoor time : D And the kitten stays indoors to cuddle on my bed with me. x3

Plants outdoors or plants indoors?

Incidentally - hasn't your Dad threatened to get rid of the cat several times in the past? If he's that anti is it really a good idea to have one in the first place?

Plants indoors. We haven't let the kitties out because Widget has this thing for clawing the screen and we're afraid she's going to get out and get hit by a car.

And my dad's only threatening to give them up, I don't think he was really serious up until this point. He really likes cats.

~Cavey

I have a cat, a 2 year old Bengal.

He's beautiful, but he's the world's biggest coward xd.png

If anyone so much as walks into the room when he's not looking, he jumps like a metre in the air.

Plants indoors. We haven't let the kitties out because Widget has this thing for clawing the screen and we're afraid she's going to get out and get hit by a car.

And my dad's only threatening to give them up, I don't think he was really serious up until this point. He really likes cats.

~Cavey

Put tinfoil around the bases of them. Cats hate the sound of going on tinfoil, and they don't like scratching it either. Should stop her pretty quick smile.gif

Put tinfoil around the bases of them. Cats hate the sound of going on tinfoil, and they don't like scratching it either. Should stop her pretty quick smile.gif

Maybe I should wrap my bed and my floor/closet in tin foil. =w=

Maybe I should wrap my bed and my floor/closet in tin foil. =w=

I've you've got a cat going on the bed you have a rather major issue. That can either be dominance or severe psychological problems.

Psychological problems- she has severe separation anxiety, which is why we can't keep her anymore.

Psychological problems- she has severe separation anxiety, which is why we can't keep her anymore.

*nods* Tis a shame. Some cats are better off when they've got at-home people though.

Yeah. We wish we would have known that when we adopted her from the shelter, but she was a year-old stray and the shelter knew diddly squat about her issues. She is a major sweetheart, though. But yeah, I've been looking for a home with an older person that's around all the time, but no one really sticks to the deal. They all flee when I tell them she had a history of cancer.

Ugh.

But she's such a great cat ;~; I love my snowshoe <333

So, I like cats. Any kind of cat, really, big, small, wild, domestic, as long as it's a cat odds are that I'm going to love it on sight.

I searched, but didn't find a cat-dedicated topic. I found a dog-dedicated topic, and a general pets topic, but not a cat-specific topic.

Rather than just go in the pets topic, I thought it would be more fun to have a topic for talking about any and all cats, not just the pet ones. (If there is a cat-dedicated topic, I didn't see it, and would greatly love to be linked to it or something. :3)

Do you have a favorite breed of cat? Or do you just like any kind of cat at all? Do you have a favorite non-domestic cat? Why do you like them? Or do you just like them for some reason you can't quite pin down?

Do you dislike them? Why?

Do you have a cat? Do you wish you had a cat? Would you like to work with cats?

How do you feel about the treatment of cats in show business?

Anything you can think of about any sort of cat, let's talk about it here!

Please, of course, remember to be respectful. If you dislike them, be polite in your explanations of why you don't like them, and if you want to counter that as a person who likes them then please be respectful as well.

As for me, I love cats. They're wonderful, in my opinion. I don't have one because my mother is very allergic to them, but my cousins have cats so I get to play with them when I'm over at their house.

They're either cute or beautiful, and I just love their fur, I love petting them. One of the cats my cousins have loves being showered with attention, so he lets me pet him and hold him and play with him and he doesn't mind if you play with his paws. He's just so cute and adorable and I love getting to see him.

I like the way they behave, too. Some are social and playful, some are distant and dislike interaction, some are playful only when they feel like it and you're on their schedule, because they're in charge. I love that about them. I know some people don't like that, but that's just fun for me to try and figure out what kind of mood they're in at the moment.

I really have to say that tigers are my favorite non-domesticated. They're just so beautiful and amazing. I love leopards, too, especially snow leopards and clouded leopards, their fur is just so pretty! And Jaguars, I prefer them to leopards, but just slightly.

And leopard cats. They're adorable beyond words and I would love to see one in person so much! And fishing cats!

Ahaha, so, anyway, who else loves cats? (Or, like I said above, who hates them and why?)

i love all cats!

My favorite non-domestic cat is a tiger.....afterall,it is my chineese sign biggrin.gif They seem very elegant.

i dont dislike cats cause they are loyal....i had a cat that would leave the house and come back....With kittens cool.gif

i usto have a cat and yes i want to have a cat again

I think that show buisness is nice as long as the cats are still loved rolleyes.gif

@_@

Alyx went and peed in my bean bag chair. RAEG now I need a new one. Can someone recommend how to stop this? She's going to the vet today but I think it needs to stop forever.

~Cavey

@_@

Alyx went and peed in my bean bag chair. RAEG now I need a new one. Can someone recommend how to stop this? She's going to the vet today but I think it needs to stop forever.

~Cavey

As iwth anything you need to identify and address the root cause of the problem, not just deal with the symptoms. A cat peeing around the house is not a happy well adjusted cat. It's a cat with an issue of some sort. It can be a dominance problem (especially if you've more than one cat), it can be a fear problem, it can be lack of proper litter training, it can even be that they don't like your cat litter, or don't think the litter box is clean enough.

You've got to work out *why* the cat is peeing everywhere in order to stop them doing it. And, yes, it may be something you or your famkily have been doing wrong that you need to change about yourselves to have a happy well-adjusted cat.

@_@

~Cavey

Does your cat regularly go outside of her litterbox? Or was this a one-time thing, or even something that started abruptly in the last week or two? Also, was the bean bag chair secondhand, or ripped so that the "beans" were accessible to the cat?

I ask, because a former cat of mine suddenly started peeing all over the house once, and the underlying cause turned out to be a UTI. Once the antibiotics cleared up the infection, she went back to using her litterbox or going outside like before she got sick. (And before anyone jumps in about letting the cat roam outdoors, this particular cat owned me over 30 years ago when it was still encouraged to let cats outside for exercise. Any cat I get now or in the future will be indoors-only.)

Other possibilities for her behavior include a damp or dirty litterbox, the cat deciding that the "beans" (assuming a rip in the bag) were a new sort of litter, or the cat marking territory (if the bean back chair was secondhand, the cat might be smelling another animal on it, even if you can't).

Or, like my cat, is just mad that you leave her alone for a while and demands your attention by spraying her scent all over yours.

Like Lyra. = _=

Your cat could be going in the flowerpots for many different reasons:

- Displeasure at a change in the household, like the addition of a new cat. (This one takes time, although doing things like adding other litterboxes can help.)

- Dirty litterbox. (Keep it clean)

- Bad litterbox location, if it's in a place with lots of traffic, or sudden or loud noises. (Move the litterbox, or add a second one somewhere else).

- Prefers the feel of the dirt in the pots to the feel of the litter. (Try to find a litter that has a similar consistency to the dirt, OR mix in some dirt with the litter in the litterbox).

- Displeasure with the litterbox itself, if it's self-cleaning some cats are afraid of that mechanism, if it's enclosed some cats prefer an open litterbox, etc. (Try a different type of litterbox).

Also, cats tend to continue going in places where they have gone before, even if the litterbox problem has been corrected, so if the cat has gone on the carpet you'll need a good enzyme cleaner to clean it up. (Dumb Cat worked the best for me.)

Good luck!

user posted imageuser posted image

I love that cleaner name, 'Dumb Cat' xd.png Hahahaha.

And those kitties are so precious ;w; My kitten has that same purple heart tag, haha.

user posted image

Love my kitty <333

I wish Lyra would start tolerating Maddy though ;~;

Well, it turns out Alyx has a minor infection, which probably explains why she peed in the bean bag chair. Since she's going in the plants, we're getting medicine for her. I hope it's liquid. I'm better at giving cats that.

~Cavey