Zeekaice

Meat

I personally love meat, I eat it with no regrets, especially bacon, I mean come on, anybody that likes meat has to like bacon!

I dislike bacon. Never met someone who agrees with me, but yeah. x3

I love most types of meat. I could never become a vegan or anything like that. I believe that animals were put on earth to feed and work for humans, so I think eating meat is more than okay. Issues with the slaughterhouses and other inhumane means of killing animals for food... that's another manner.

Jumping in here, I think we should eat animals, because it's only natural.

However, I have seen many gruesome videos about how they are raised, and that is my only problem with eating meat.

Edited by Dauntingale

I believe that animals were put on earth to feed and work for humans, so I think eating meat is more than okay.

What about animals that humans neither eat nor use for labor? Like hornets, stick insects, vultures, parasites, flies, loaches, shrews, platypus, woodpeckers? Just curious, lol.

Edited by Nine

I don't think there is anything exactly wrong with people eating meat, it's just a part of life, we evolved to be omnivores. But I only support it if the animals are respected and treated decently during the time which they spend living.

I'm not sure what I think about the 'we are more intelligent' argument, however. If, in theory in a dystopian future or something, you were considered 'stupid' enough to eat, do you really think that it's okay for you to be eaten for being less intelligent? When I think about it, lots of the arguments I hear in favour of meat, including my own, don't seem that morally justified.

Yet still, I don't speak against eating meat. I'm probably very biased, since I like to eat meat, and when people want to do something they will make up any argument to support it.

I guess...I'm kind of on the fence about it. It is a selfish desire and I don't think anyone should be forced to not eat meat, but the animals should be treated well before death. Sorry for the confusing post, I'm tired but just wanted to say something.

What about animals that humans neither eat nor use for labor? Like hornets, stick insects, vultures, parasites, flies, loaches, shrews, platypus, woodpeckers? Just curious, lol.

All part of the food chain keeping the animals we do use and eat alive and populated correctly. As for the parasites.... well I don't think anybody knows why they were created.

You don't think that humans use stick insects and hornets and many parasites for labor? You don't think that humans rely on the labor of vultures?

When I looked up loaches to see exactly what you might be describing, Wikipedia landed me on a page describing carp and minnows. Well, we surely do eat and use them. And then I looked at true loaches, and see we use many kinds of loachs for our entertainment. If you don't think that is a kind of labor, tell that to an actor who entertains for a living.

Likely we do rely on the labor of shrews the way we use hornets and stick insects as labor.

I think the only thing you have on that list that humans have not harnessed in some way is the platypus and woodpecker, and I'm not too sure about the woodpecker.

You don't think that humans use stick insects and hornets and many parasites for labor?  You don't think that humans rely on the labor of vultures? 

When I looked up loaches to see exactly what you might be describing, Wikipedia landed me on a page describing carp and minnows.  Well, we surely do eat and use them.  And then I looked at true loaches, and see we use many kinds of loachs for our entertainment.  If you don't think that is a kind of labor, tell that to an actor who entertains for a living.

Likely we do rely on the labor of shrews the way we use hornets and stick insects as labor.

I think the only thing you have on that list that humans have not harnessed in some way is the platypus and woodpecker, and I'm not too sure about the woodpecker.

Well when you put it that way...

I guess keeping things as pets in aquariums and the like could count as labor. Kind of a fine line though, since they are just doing what they do naturally and aren't working for us specifically. If the loaches were putting on a show like actors do then that would surely count. Suppose it comes down to how one perceives the definition of 'labor' and if unintentionally entertaining us qualifies.

I love meat. I don't think that eating meat is wrong, just that treating animals wrongly is wrong, like factory raised chickens.

Also, I thought I'd post a link to this: http://springhole.net/other/vegselfdefeating.htm

I will say to the author of that article one word:

Quorn.

and this one word will nullify the majority of their arguments.

Well when you put it that way...

I guess keeping things as pets in aquariums and the like could count as labor. Kind of a fine line though, since they are just doing what they do naturally and aren't working for us specifically. If the loaches were putting on a show like actors do then that would surely count. Suppose it comes down to how one perceives the definition of 'labor' and if unintentionally entertaining us qualifies.

I wasn't serious about the "they were all created for us" part, but...domestic pets quite easily fit in the "exist for the use of humans". It's a bit of a stretch for aquarium loaches to labor for us, yes. Not plecostami. Mine I got to keep my aquarium clean when I had one. Turned out I liked that dino-fish better than many of the others.

And of course, outside keeping loaches to look pretty, many people eat them, so there you go.

I was entirely serious about stick insects, hornets, and some parasites. If you are not aware of how humans use their labor, check into aspects of organic farming.

I dislike bacon. Never met someone who agrees with me, but yeah. x3

*waves* Here I am. The smokier it tastes, the more I dislike it.

Maybe it's because it isn't very common here in Germany and I just didn't grow up with its constant presense.

*waves* Here I am. The smokier it tastes, the more I dislike it.

Maybe it's because it isn't very common here in Germany and I just didn't grow up with its constant presense.

That's because we have salami instead. The only force in the world comparable to bacon.

That's because we have salami instead. The only force in the world comparable to bacon.

That's interesting. I hate Salami, but am really picky about bacon. ._.

I think that the animals should be given more consideration while alive, but I don't think it's wrong to eat them. I love steak, but I hate how they cram cows together and treat them terribly.

Quorn.

Quorn ! YES - great stuff smile.gif I wish they would sell it in Canada....

And what a SILLY article. I'm not veggy and even I can't buy into that rubbish !

I love meat, though I will not touch Pork, Bacon, and most poultry.

I really think we should reconsider the way we process meat, their living quarters etc.

And while I do not disagree with vegetarians for choosing to eat healthier (We all should!)

The real problem is-we raise too many animals for consumption and most of it gets wasted. (this accounts for veggies as well)

"A typical household of two adults and two children loses $600 in food per year through spoilage and mishandling, University of Arizona professor Timothy Jones estimates."

Eating meat is good, both because it's tasty and part of nature (we wouldn't have omnivorous teeth if we weren't supposed to eat it)-However it all depends on an individuals choice as to what they eat be it fruit/veggies or meat. I just wish people wouldn't be so wasteful.

@.@

Quorn.

Not everyone can eat Quorn, and not everyone can live on a vegan lifestyle. Just saying. Mycoprotein can be harmful, especially in large amounts.

"A typical household of two adults and two children loses $600 in food per year through spoilage and mishandling, University of Arizona professor Timothy Jones estimates."

I don't think we SPEND 600 on food in a year. o.O

Someone out there is chucking a grand's worth of food to off-set me? Oh dear...

I read that at "force meat" and was ready to dive into a tirade of how bacon is not a force meat OTL

I read that at "force meat" and was ready to dive into a tirade of how bacon is not a force meat OTL

By 'force meat' do you mean meat that has Jedi-like powers? Because bacon can do that too.

I have nothing against eating meat. We are omnivores after all, and meat is an important part of our diet. Saying it's bad to eat meat would be like telling a lion to leave a helpless little gazelle alone.

What gets me is the way our meat is obtained. Most predators go for the throat of their prey, thus killing it fairly fast. But we humans obtain our meat in all manner of hideous methods. Last year there were a lot of horror stories and videos of real slaughterhouses on the news. If the animal isn't killed by the electric shock straight away, they'll cut it's throat and leave it to drown in its own blood. They'll even kick it on the head, and, believe it or not, sometimes even start gutting it and skinning the poor animal while it's still alive and conscious. And before hand the animals are kept in horrible, cramped conditions for weeks up to the slaughter.

Chickens are much the same. Killing the is often a matter of hanging the birds by their legs then rip its head off or something equally ghastly.

If only slaughtering could be as humane as having the animals happy before gassing it or something similar. But of course, that method is slow and costs money. Even people in the middle ages cared about their animals more than now - one would make sure their animal was happy and unaware of the danger, then give it a hefty blow on the head with a hammer. Instant, painless death.

Most slaughter houses do kill humanely though. They have to follow regulations and are inspected at random times so they can't just put on an act.

Some of the problems though come in when people *coughpetacough* demand that certain killing methods stop being used because they are 'inhumane'.

When you slaughter a chicken yourself (I have not done this but have talked to people who have and watched a show on it let me find the link) you break its neck (intstant death) with then cut the throat to drain away the blood, or you cut the chickens head off and let the blood drain.

Turning a chicken upside down does not hurt it, infact when you are showing them you are required to do so to get a proper look at the wings.

But when these methods are outlawed you end up turning to something else. Maybe you use a gun, but the bullets are expensive and if you miss then you could damage the meat.

Maybe you use electricution but the animal dosen't die the first time and you have to do it over.

Point is some of what you are shown is humane and portrayed like it isn't, other stuff is to replace the 'inhumane' treatment. *shrugs* I really just think the public needs to be educated about where their food comes from by the farmers not special orgainizations.

EDIT:links that talk about raising chickens. Some mass producing farm bashing in there (I'd rather not have our meat mass produced but a warning otherwise for people)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voXUPFRJ7y8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQIaCFobS70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuIAXODEyzU...F71C05F3FC8983F

watch in order.

Edited by brairtrainer

Quorn ! YES - great stuff smile.gif I wish they would sell it in Canada....

And what a SILLY article. I'm not veggy and even I can't buy into that rubbish !

I think they're trying to get it over the pond, but people are a bit wary because it's so different. and a few people might be slightly allergic to it.

Not everyone can eat Quorn, and not everyone can live on a vegan lifestyle. Just saying. Mycoprotein can be harmful, especially in large amounts.

I know that, but it's a small minority who can't. "About one in 140,000 consumers are sensitive to mycoproteins."* and even then it's mostly just like a stomach bug.

Quorn isn't vegan. most of it contains eggs. You can't really be a passive vegan. just saying.

really? because I eat it almost every day, and have done for some years, and I'm not dead yet.

*in comparison, I think around one in 100 people have a peanut allergy. don't quote me on that statistic though,