Zeekaice

Meat

And animals don't literally think. They respond to learned behaviors and instinctive behaviors. tongue.gif

It depends on the animal. I have no idea whether fish or beetles (for example) think, but some mammals do. Chimpanzees use tools, the gorilla Koko famously asked for (and was given) a kitten, and there are some dog breeds that are unbelievably smart.

Australian Shepherds and Border Collies are capable of understanding and responding to entire sentences. (I had an Aussie for years.) Dogs and cats dream. If dreaming isn't indicative that something other than instinct is going on in their brains, then what is it?

Edit: Oh, and elephants! They mourn their dead, and there is a lot of evidence that they have sophisticated thought processes. Dolphins and whales as well.

Edited by inlaterdays

If I had to give it just meat up, I'd be sad but fine. The one thing I'd really miss is dairy :<

No can haz my cheese or yogurt!

I'm not sure I want to eat a lot of meat as it is here in the US. They are cutting our USDA workers (800). And well, historically, we've been down this path before. The infamous novel is The Jungle. by Upton Sinclair I believe. It detailed the abuses in the industry and caused a loot of changes. Now we seem to be regressing. Heeby Jeebies! If I can find some local producers I will be happy.

The Jungle wasn't really about animal health standards or anything like that, though... Sinclair was really trying to reach people's hearts towards the meat plant workers... but he hit their stomachs instead.

british school dinners aren't much better, I'm afraid.

They said that they weren't allowed to put cheese on a jacket potato, but they think Cheese sandwich and Mash is a suitable meal.

Thats a little odd. I mean its still cheese there.....lol. Makes no sense.....

I lovee animals, but I can't get myself to go veggie. The problem is, I'm a picky eater, so I don't have many veggies to eat.

not to mention that they like to serve fish as the vegetarian option.

Are you sure it's actually cheese? =p

The problem is, I'm a picky eater, so I don't have many veggies to eat.

I completely understand! There are some pretty neat ways to give yourself vegetables you wouldn't normally eat, if you ever want to try them. Putting cauliflower in mashed potatoes or a white pizza sauce, for example. :3

Are you sure it's actually cheese? =p

I completely understand! There are some pretty neat ways to give yourself vegetables you wouldn't normally eat, if you ever want to try them. Putting cauliflower in mashed potatoes or a white pizza sauce, for example. :3

we made hash browns with sprouts in once, and it's really easy to put blended veg into sauces. You'd be surprised, really tongue.gif

im part of P.E.T.A

(People Who Eat Tastey Animals)

and i believe that in order for you to live you must eat both meat and vegetables. not only are animals tasety but they also provide much needed protien.

God said that all animals are to serve man. when adam and eve did the first sin god commanded them to kill an animal and sacrifice it. god also said that the beasts of the earth shall satisfy our cravings for meat. so if you crave meat then eat meat if you hate meat then be a vegetarian. there is no study saying that meat is bad for you and there is no study saying that eating only vegetables will make you feel better (that i know of) so i will continue to eat meat cuz its FREAKING TASTEY biggrin.gif

im part of P.E.T.A

and i believe that in order for you to live you must eat both meat and vegetables. not only are animals tasety but they also provide much needed protien.

God said that all animals are to serve man. when adam and eve did the first sin god commanded them to kill an animal and sacrifice it. god also said that the beasts of the earth shall satisfy our cravings for meat. so if you crave meat then eat meat if you hate meat then be a vegetarian. there is no study saying that meat is bad for you and there is no study saying that eating only vegetables will make you feel better (that i know of) so i will continue to eat meat cuz its FREAKING TASTEY biggrin.gif

Just a few things...

a] that's funny, because I'm 17, I've been a veggie all my life, and I'm not dead yet! biggrin.gif

b] not everyone believes in god.

c] you do not seem to be able to spell

d] people don't make all their choices based on studies.

therefore your argument is invalid.

Edited by dracocharky

Man was meant to eat both meat and vegetables. We have evolved and kept canines and incisors, and our ancestors were scavengers more than foragers. However, man does eat vegetables and other foods because of their ability to adapt. However, that doesn't mean that people should forsake eating meat just because.

im part of P.E.T.A

Funny- I've been a vegetarian my whole life and I'm not dead yet.

God said that all animals are to serve man. when adam and eve did the first sin god commanded them to kill an animal and sacrifice it. god also said that the beasts of the earth shall satisfy our cravings for meat.

Honestly I'm an Atheist. Not to mention there is no reason why one religion should dictate my dietary choices.

there is no study saying that meat is bad for you and there is no study saying that eating only vegetables will make you feel better (that i know of) so i will continue to eat meat cuz its FREAKING TASTEY biggrin.gif

There are actually studies about the health benefits of vegetarianism, not to mention the studies on meat and global warming.

My culture sees all diets the same, and I have issues with the high water content in a lot of vegetables and vegetable products, so I stick mainly to meat and veg with lower water content. Since any diet is seen as exploitative, I go with what works best for me.

I have no issues with anyone else's diet.

Some cultures don't allow eating meat but you'd still have to eat eggs if you're mostly herbivore. xd.png Personally I like eating meat and it's good for you. And animals don't literally think. They respond to learned behaviors and instinctive behaviors. tongue.gif

The things you just said are not true.

1. Just because someone is veggie doesn't mean they have to eat eggs! Where'd you get that idea from? There are plenty of healthy vegans in the world!

2. Many animals do think. Dogs, cats, whales, dolphins, primates, and lots of others.

not only are animals tasety but they also provide much needed protien.

Did you know that vegetables are an excellent source of protein, as are many other things commonly seen in a vegetarian or vegan diet, such as nuts or soy? :3

However, that doesn't mean that people should forsake eating meat just because.

But why can't they if they want to for whatever reason? There's plenty of evidence that vegetarians and vegans, as long as they eat right (same goes for non-vegetarians!), are perfectly healthy without meat.

I will also point out that the way we raise our meat to sell can be quite unhealthy. Besides the obvious "meat" we get from fast food and such, there's also evidence that grain-fed animals (rather than grass-fed) may be a part of the "obesity crisis" America is seeing.

(Quotes around obesity crisis because I find the whole situation ridiculous.)

Veggie people you will NOT get me to stop eating meat.

I don't believe I've seen anyone try to in this thread. I have seen more comments on people defending meat and getting defensive about meat than I have on vegetarians trying to convince people to change their diet, though, definitely.

Welll a while back I was very pro-meat (lol) and I was like "HUMANS ARE SUPPOSED TO EAT MEAT ARGHRAGH" because I'm weird and stuff, but now I believe that whether or not meat should be eaten depends on your beliefs. As we know, certain religions put guidelines, limits, and restrictions to meat consumption, as do many cultures, geographic locations, so on. And it is often just plain opinion/morals that determine for a person whether they should/would/could eat meat.

So there I am, taking a neutral stance xd.png

For information's sake, I could never give up meat. I love my meat <3 I don't really like calling it meat though, as a general term. It sounds a bit savage (to me, I don't know why)...steak, chicken, pork, etc. is more like it, haha.

Edited by glamoursea2

I call meat, meat because meat is meat, and I'm a savage.

I think you call it meat because that's the word we use for it in English.

Welll a while back I was very pro-meat (lol) and I was like "HUMANS ARE SUPPOSED TO EAT MEAT ARGHRAGH" because I'm weird and stuff, but now I believe that whether or not meat should be eaten depends on your beliefs. As we know, certain religions put guidelines, limits, and restrictions to meat consumption, as do many cultures, geographic locations, so on. And it is often just plain opinion/morals that determine for a person whether they should/would/could eat meat.

Isn't it fascinating how we can personally evolve over time? <3

I loove meat. >3>; Though I've only had the like generic steak and chicken and pork and turkey, and also some shrimp and salmon. I think the more "unique" thing I've eaten is eel, which was really yummy. I'd like to try other types. Honestly, even raw meat looks kinda yummy to me... owo;

I don't have issues with vegetarians or vegans or other diet types or whathaveyou. o3o I could probably never stop eating meat, though, I love the stuff too much. >__>;;

I loove meat. >3>; Though I've only had the like generic steak and chicken and pork and turkey, and also some shrimp and salmon. I think the more "unique" thing I've eaten is eel, which was really yummy. I'd like to try other types. Honestly, even raw meat looks kinda yummy to me... owo;

I know it's not that exotic, but if you're looking to try other stuff, I suggest crab. While I am a very picky eater, even I can admit that crab is actually pretty darn good stuff. I've also tried some fried alligator at Pappadeaux's and that wasn't bad. My grandma, who is pickier than I am, ate a whole plate of it. x3

I think it's Macaroni Grill that you can get calamari at. (Obviously not the only place, just the only place I've been where people I was with ordered it.) It was fun to see calamari, even if I wouldn't eat it. My friends it enjoyed it, though.

I know it's not that exotic, but if you're looking to try other stuff, I suggest crab. While I am a very picky eater, even I can admit that crab is actually pretty darn good stuff. I've also tried some fried alligator at Pappadeaux's and that wasn't bad. My grandma, who is pickier than I am, ate a whole plate of it. x3

I think it's Macaroni Grill that you can get calamari at. (Obviously not the only place, just the only place I've been where people I was with ordered it.) It was fun to see calamari, even if I wouldn't eat it. My friends it enjoyed it, though.

Oh yeah, I've been wanting to try crab and lobster for a while now. But my mom is allergic to shellfish so I don't get a chance to eat stuff like that much. The most I've had was this fake crab meat on an airplane.

I haven't thought of trying alligator... and calamari sounds pretty good too. I've been wanting to try duck but my parents say it's greasy and chewy so they don't want me to have it. >_>; I'm pretty sure they just had it bad, though.

And we go to macaroni grill sometimes, there's one near where I live. o3o

Edited by Switch

Oooh, yeah, allergies make things harder. D:

Ooooh, yeah, forgotten I'd had duck during Thanksgiving once. I remember I ate it because I didn't even know they had duck and I had just wanted some turkey. I don't remember having any qualms about it; pretty good. It probably was just a bad experience. That's unfortunate for you. Maybe you'll get to try more stuff when you get older. =o

I think it was at Macaroni Grill anyway. Worth a shot looking for it next time you're there!