Zeekaice

Meat

I love animals but i eat meat.

Some people even think plants are alive - which they kinda are, just not in the roaming around and talking part lol

Its the circle of life baby lol *starts to sing Lion King* lol

I've never met a real-life vegan. Does that mean they don't exist? Does that give me the right and privilege to assume that all people on the Internet everywhere who lay claim to the title are liars? Not only that, but does it give such an observation validity?

If so, then I will grant that you not only have the privilege to call all ethical vegetarians hypocrites, but that your observation is a valid reflection of reality.

Yup, sounds fine to me, if you want to miss the point.

I've yet to meet a real-life 'ethical vegetarian' who does. They all buy their milk, honey and eggs from supermarkets like the rest of us they sneer upon.

I'm one! All milk I drink either comes from my goats (which are actually pets for the most part) or my neighbors' cows. I mostly drink the milk from my goats, and they're happy animals. The boys are all kept, even when neutered, and they are used as packgoats. All the eggs I eat come from our chickens.

Yup, sounds fine to me, if you want to miss the point.

What was your point then? To complain?

7Deadly$ins

The point about being vegetarian for moral reasons wasn't a misunderstanding of vegetarian/vegan. I think vegetarians for moral reasons are frankly hypocritical. If it's for morality's sake, then go vegan. The cows and the chickens that produce these products suffer just as much if not more so than the ones used for meat.

Kestra15

This, as usual.

I've yet to meet a real-life 'ethical vegetarian' who does. They all buy their milk, honey and eggs from supermarkets like the rest of us they sneer upon.

How exactly does eating honey violate being a vegan? I've known people who have bee hives that they harvest honey from, the bees are free to go as they please and I don't see them being tortured or harmed at all.

Some think that eating honey is basically stealing the fruit of the bee's hard labor. I don't see it- particularly if you're the one that houses the bees, since you also care for them.

How exactly does eating honey violate being a vegan? I've known people who have bee hives that they harvest honey from, the bees are free to go as they please and I don't see them being tortured or harmed at all.

It might violate being vegan because honey is an animal product. Can't see any particular reason a person who is vegetarian for moral reasons would object to it so long as they know the bees they get their honey from are treated well.

There was a huge die-off of hives a few years ago which essentially turned out to be extremely overworked bees succumbing to stress related illnesses, but that's certainly not the case for all bees. IIRC, they are the bees that pollinate commercial groves. That's why they were so overworked, they had to travel constantly. All the honey my family has has been given to us by beekeepers who are doing anything but overworking their bees.

Humankind is omnivorous. We do have a choice in our lifestyle now, I don't think it's a problem when one decides to be a vegetarian or even a vegan as long as he doesn't rub it into everyones faces.

I became a vegan for health reasons. I didn't want to have animal fat clogging up my arteries. I believe humans can produce their own cholesterol for whatever reasons but I'm not going to add to whatever my body may do naturally. Also, eating meat and cheese and general crap makes me feel sluggish. Being a vegan feels clean. I get energy from eating fruit and veggies and I don't need coffee to wake up, but I will get an almond latte every weekend because I love the taste of coffee. I don't preach to my friends and family and I only talk about my vegan diet if I'm asked.

Once you become vegan, you start to feel the ethical reasons behind it. We don't NEED to eat animals if you eat a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. I get tests and I'm perfectly healthy with no deficiencies. Plus, I rarely get sick now. I don't feel like I should be part of the reason there is the gross mistreatment and inhumane slaughter of animals in factory farms.

If you're one of those people who try to invalidate our points by saying "well plants are alive too"...you're missing the point. When you have metabolic disease later in life, remember that. And don't try to blame it all on genetics. It's what you eat and are NOT eating.

I became a vegan for health reasons. I didn't want to have animal fat clogging up my arteries. I believe humans can produce their own cholesterol for whatever reasons but I'm not going to add to whatever my body may do naturally. Also, eating meat and cheese and general crap makes me feel sluggish. Being a vegan feels clean. I get energy from eating fruit and veggies and I don't need coffee to wake up, but I will get an almond latte every weekend because I love the taste of coffee. I don't preach to my friends and family and I only talk about my vegan diet if I'm asked.

Once you become vegan, you start to feel the ethical reasons behind it. We don't NEED to eat animals if you eat a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. I get tests and I'm perfectly healthy with no deficiencies. Plus, I rarely get sick now. I don't feel like I should be part of the reason there is the gross mistreatment and inhumane slaughter of animals in factory farms.

If you're one of those people who try to invalidate our points by saying "well plants are alive too"...you're missing the point. When you have metabolic disease later in life, remember that. And don't try to blame it all on genetics. It's what you eat and are NOT eating.

People who have a healthy balance of meat with their normal meals (about the size of a deck of cards) don't have their arteries "clogged with animal fat." You can't really say eating meat is going to cause such negative repulses when abusing it is what causes them. If someone who is omnivorous purchases meat from respected retailers who treat their animals well, it is not supporting factory farms. Actually, it's giving money to the responsible sources, which make the factory farms weaker in the economy.

In addition to this, not all vegans are completely healthy. There are a lot of rather unhealthy vegan snacks which can be abused.

I didn't write "all vegans are heathly". I wrote "I am healthy". It takes hard work and time to be healthy and not be lazy and eat vegan junk food.

And if omnivores can find "reputable" farmers to get their meat from, good for them. That's a great thing to do, but most people can't or won't. Regardless, you're still consuming saturated animal fat which does build up in your arteries over time.

Edited by mxtine

Regardless, you're still consuming saturated animal fat which does build up in your arteries over time.

I'm wondering just what type of meat you're thinking of and how much you assume people are eating..

It would only build up if that's ALL you're eating all the time. The key is balance.

I didn't write "all vegans are heathly". I wrote "I am healthy". It takes hard work and time to be healthy and not be lazy and eat vegan junk food.

And if omnivores can find "reputable" farmers to get their meat from, good for them. That's a great thing to do, but most people can't or won't. Regardless, you're still consuming saturated animal fat which does build up in your arteries over time.

I never said you did. I was simply stating that in general, not directed at you completely. Vegans who abuse food can be just as unhealthy as omnivores who abuse food.

I know a lot of people who purchase their meat from nice farms. Most of the people in my neighborhood do; there's a market near my house. More people do it than you think.

Arteries do not become clogged directly from eating meats, nor other foods for that matter. It comes from a negative lipid profile. If your HDL is too low or LDL is too high, that causes clogged arteries. Overeating changes these. You can overeat on anything. Meat, vegetables, fruit... If someone overeats a lot, and their liver and muscle cannot handle this, glycogen levels rise. If the glycogen levels get too high, the body begins to store saturated fat, which leads to high LDL and atherosclerosis.

High levels of saturated fat is found in:

-Fatty cuts of meat, including meat drippings

-Processed meats

-Duck, chicken, or turkey with skin

-Egg yolks

-Butter

-Fat or oil that is hard or in stick form, lard, and shortening

-Hydrogenated vegetable oil

-Coconut, coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil, and cocoa butter

-Avocado

-Cream, half-and-half, and whole-milk dairy products, such as cheese, ice cream, and sour cream

-Processed grain products, such as cookies, cakes, muffins, and pastries

And more.

--

If I'm wrong about something here, do correct me. I am not extremely fluent in this subject.

When you have metabolic disease later in life, remember that. And don't try to blame it all on genetics. It's what you eat and are NOT eating.

It appears you have decided that all people have the same experiences as you do so thus you can judge based on your health that their health cannot possibly be genetic in nature. That is just as considered an opinion as stating that all vegetarians are hypocrites.

I'm all for eating meat. I love it and I personally couldn't live without it. If it's ok for other animals to eat meat I don't see why we cant.

I have a problem with canabalism though

I was browsing youtube when I came across a video of some people feeding a pig bacon. That, was really gross.

I personally don't eat meat but I could care less what other people do, as long as they aren’t annoying about it. I do eat eggs, but I get them from a local farm and I have personally met the chickens they come out of. Same thing with milk. And I have been chased by the very bees that provide honey for my breakfast toast so that's all good as well.

Edited by wolfclaw

Ohh man I love meat. I don't think its wrong. I think the ideal situation would be a way to make sure the people don't kill them or treat them in horrible manners. Sure, even if they are going to used for meat, I don't think its right to inhumanly treat them.

And yes, if we had a farm, and I had a guy who would actually kill the animals for me, I would eat the meat. We've had a chicken given to us as payment for watching their animals, and I knew which one they had given us, I could picture it in my head, but I still ate it. I just couldn't be the one actually killing the animal :/

I don't like seeing animals suffer, but we are omnivores for a reason.

A grapefruit is a lemon that had a chance and took it. In that respect, humans are omnivores with an advantage, and we need to use it.

Besides, it is because of meat that we came to be what we are today. We would have become quite different if we had not started to eat meat.

I too think: If you are an omnivore you're supposed to eat meat.

But you don't have to eat it every day and you don't have to eat the really cheap stuff of which you just know the animal didn't have a nice life and not even a nice death. It's only reasonable because all the antibiotics and chemicals people feed to the animals go into the meat and in some quantity into yourself. And after all I discovered: meat of "happy" animals really tastes better! It's a lot more expensive sometimes but I rather eat meat only two times a week and really enjoy it than having it everyday and not enjoying it at all.

I'm OK with vegetarians but I can't stand those guys who don't even eat honey, milk, eggs and stuff. I think it's nearly impossible to eat healthy that way.

Eating meat is awesome especially beef jerkey! I just dont understand people who dont.

I don't understand how you don't understand. It's a conscious decision about the treatment of animals and often one's health, too. Being a vegetarian can be healthier in a lot of cases.

This article sums up the pros and cons of vegetarianism pretty well: http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/consumer/nyc/volW-00g.htm

"It is true, however, that well-planned vegetarian diets tend to be higher in fiber and protective phytonutrients and lower in saturated fat than the typical American diet. This healthier diet helps explain why vegetarians tend to have less cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, hypertension and fewer weight problems than their meat-loving counterparts."

Just like any diet, if you don't plan it well, it'll be unhealthy. But when it is planned out and is executed in the correct way, it can have benefits.

I too think: If you are an omnivore you're supposed to eat meat.

But you don't have to eat it every day and you don't have to eat the really cheap stuff of which you just know the animal didn't have a nice life and not even a nice death. It's only reasonable because all the antibiotics and chemicals people feed to the animals go into the meat and in some quantity into yourself. And after all I discovered: meat of "happy" animals really tastes better! It's a lot more expensive sometimes but I rather eat meat only two times a week and really enjoy it than having it everyday and not enjoying it at all.

I'm OK with vegetarians but I can't stand those guys who don't even eat honey, milk, eggs and stuff. I think it's nearly impossible to eat healthy that way.

We didn't naturally eat tons of meat. And it really should be a personal choice, it's not one of those things that you're "supposed" to do just because it's natural. If that's the case, then we should do all the things that are natural for us, like hunting with our bare hands.

You don't like vegans? Admittedly I like cheese too much to be a vegan, but it can be healthy, again, provided a proper diet is consumed. And did I read it wrong, or are you discriminating against vegans? You don't like them because they're vegan?

Edited by Packgoater

You can be healthy on a well planned vegetarian diet but not on a vegan one without some stupid supplements.

I'm a vegetarian personally, because I don't like the idea of eating something that was walking round a field with 4 legs and a head a few days ago.

however, humans were supposed to be omnivorous, so I think it's entirely personal choice. everyone has a point they're willing to go to, you just have to find that point. I don't have a problem with people who eat meat, and I don't tryo to convert people. I just enjoy the food I eat and like talking to the other veggies I know.

I eat meat, despite the fact that I hate the thought of anything dying. Personally, I believe, because we were meant to be omnivorous, that it's okay to eat meat. However, I also believe this should be the only reason we kill animals. We take lots in order to eat; why should we take some for fancy-looking furs or ivory necklaces?

why should we take some for fancy-looking furs or ivory necklaces?

this, I do wear leather/suede boots and shoes because actually the animal was dead anyway due to the meat eaters, so to not use up the rest of it would be a waste of a life, however things like ivory and fur kill the animal IN ORDER TO get the product. if everyone became vegetarian I would probably stop.