Zeekaice

Meat

Let's see...the only "exotic" things I've tried were sparrows, organic foie gras (those harvested from natural geese who were migrating in autumn, instead of those force fed ones), pheasants, horse, quail, and bison, I think I ate venison once but can't quite remember that, I'd like to try it again.

BTW- the liver of an anglerfish is much richer and buttery than foie gras. I don't think you guys eat the liver part of an anglerfish (wait, do you eat anglerfish at all?) so I bet it's cheap, if you ever have the chance to lay your hands on it try it out.

And no, I've never eaten dog. tongue.gif Not all of us like the taste or the smell.

Edited by ylangylang

(wait, do you eat anglerfish at all?)

._. They're edible and tasty? Giiiiive.

._. They're edible and tasty? Giiiiive.

Yep.

user posted image

Anglerfish liver.

Edited by ylangylang

that looks delicious

where do I obtain this

-is landlocked and thus has never seen an anglerfish, much less eaten one-

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

that looks delicious

where do I obtain this

-is landlocked in the middle of the US >: -

I dunno, you live in the states, right? Okay, it seems that you guys do eat anglerfish, just the tail parts, so if you look around I bet there are fish markets where they sell anglerfish, or monkfish. Just go up to them, ask for the liver, and you're set. As you guys seem to eat just the tail parts, I bet the rest are cheap. Maybe they'll give it to you for free, who knows. It's how my mom used to get some food parts when we were in Canada-because most Caucasian Canadians don't think of certain parts as food.

Or you can get them at a very expensive Japanese restaurant sad.gif

By the way, anglerfish look gross and horrifying, but yeah, their livers are considered a delicacy here.

user posted image

This is an anglerfish.

Edited by ylangylang

Thanks, you are all of the awesome. I'mma try to find this sometime.

Thanks, you are all of the awesome. I'mma try to find this sometime.

Good luck! biggrin.gif Look for monkfish, that seems to be the term they call it as. There seems to be a lot of places where they sell monkfish liver.

Edited by ylangylang

I believe that the only way monkfish and anglerfish are caught for commercial consumption is by bottom trawling, which is a horrendously destructive and unsustainable method of catching fish that destroys various levels of sea-life ecosystems. I believe both fish are on the Seafood Watch program's red list. I'd highly recommend against supporting sea trawling organizations.

Edit: Also, may you please make that picture of the man holding anglerfish a link instead of an automatic picture? I find it disturbing and quite offensive. Thanks muchly!

Edited by Nine

I believe that the only way monkfish and anglerfish are caught for commercial consumption is by bottom trawling, which is a horrendously destructive and unsustainable method of catching fish that destroys various levels of sea-life ecosystems. I believe both fish are on the Seafood Watch program's red list. I'd highly recommend against supporting sea trawling organizations.

Uh...here it's not. They're ridiculously common. Possibly because we started eating them fairly late into the century-they used to be tossed back into the sea.

Edited by ylangylang

The idea isn't that the fish themselves are difficult to come by, but the methods that are used to catch them. Here's a Wikipedia page on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_trawli...nmental_impacts

Thanks, I'll have to look into how they're caught here. I also changed the picture into a, well, a picture-picture, hope that's okay with you.

Edit: it seems that they were caught using bottom trawling, but we made a ban in 2010, and we're using another method of fishing, I can't find the translation for this though, will tell you asap.

Edited by ylangylang

Thank you for changing the picture =) Cheers.

And that's really good to hear if it has indeed been banned.

Edited by Nine

Thank you for changing the picture =) Cheers.

And that's really good to hear if it has indeed been banned.

Thanks for telling me! biggrin.gif Yeah, it is smile.gif We usually don't get a lot of attention about these stuff, we're still using lead weights for example, so I'm quite happy that our government did something right.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18534774/ns/wo...c/#.UEw5QY0gcqs

— More than 20 nations agreed Friday to discourage unregulated and destructive bottom trawling on the South Pacific high seas, a victory for environmental groups.

-snip-

The new agreement is among members of the fledgling South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organization: Australia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Cook Islands, Ecuador, the European Commission, Federated States of Micronesia, France, Japan, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Russia, South Korea, Ukraine, the United States and Vanuatu.

so yay. biggrin.gif

Ban in 2010 seems to be about bottom trawling near the shores, and we seem to be using....fixed shore fishing? That's the closest translation I got.

Edited by ylangylang

Yay for agreeing to stop destructive fishing practices. Even though I love my delicious fish, I do try my best to avoid things that are overfished, farmed in destructive ways, or fished in harmful ways.

Even though that anglerfish liver looks really tasty, I'll avoid it if it was fished in a bad way. Thanks for the notice, Nine.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Two cents time!

I believe in the natural order of things - the design of life.

Animals, in their instinct, understand how the rules work - eat or be eaten, watch your back, stick in groups; etc, etc.

In that, I feel a little eh about the fact that animals are raised to be slaughtered ( mixed signals and such - it's essentially collecting life in a pen and killing at will rather than giving a fair fight during hunting ) but as for eating meat; I have no problem with it.

Humans are omnivores by design. While there are alternatives to get the life energy that we need, some 1/2+ of our teeth are for tearing, not chewing. Definitely predators by design.

Predators in the animal kingdom also eat meat naturally - there isn't any hate or ill will when they kill another animal. It's because they have to. It's time to eat.

As a result, just like that, I have no particular disdain or desire to eat meat. I just do.

However, I'm not sold on it. I likely couldn't completely cut it out of my diet, but I DO primarily eat seafood/shellfish/pasta ( or all in the same dish! sooo goood ) which brings up another question: what do you consider "meat?" What do you consider "animals we shouldn't eat?"

To those who dislike the concept; are you biased to only mammal food sources, or do you also dislike the consuming of fish, shellfish and so forth?

I don't know how well that kind of discrimination would support the theory in an official debate, so I thought I'd ask. :3

I know about Ethical issues and such, by I love meat SOOOO much that.. Well.. Lets just say I would be willing to chase down an animal On all fours through a jungle and kill it with my teeth to get my meat if I had to.

When you put it that way, Melomancer, it sounds quite funny biggrin.gif

For me, I only eat small amounts of chicken and fish. I'm largely vegetarian, but I have nothing against meat at all. Mainly because I eat some of it, but if I could eat red meat, I would.

Though I don't agree with some people who say "we don't need meat", because that's kinda false. Humans have always been omnivores, and always will be. Meat is the best (not to mention the easiest) source of protein around, and it's something we need in our diets.

Heheh. Anyway, I really like meat, and it's impossible for people to be at the peak of health without meat. I've read about vegetarians dying due to lack of protein, or succumbing to illnesses easier due to a weakened immune systems. I love animals a lot, but I'm willing to eat them, because they are nescessary to survive.

The publicity of being a vegetarian/vegan is often just that - publicity.

It isn't all roses and daisies. In the BEST CASE scenario, they are healthy/feel no lag or decrease in energy and drive, and can survive on it very well.

In less positive cases, and I have known these people personally, they got to a point where they were drastically losing weight and energy and needed manually-given nutrition through tubes and such. They let it constantly go on, unwilling to turn back to or even get a little meat in their diet, and lack of action caused that.

Heheh. Anyway, I really like meat, and it's impossible for people to be at the peak of health without meat. I've read about vegetarians dying due to lack of protein, or succumbing to illnesses easier due to a weakened immune systems. I love animals a lot, but I'm willing to eat them, because they are nescessary to survive.

I've had a vegan friend get very ill and lose a ton of weight from the lack of meat. I would never go vegan (mainly because I just simply cannot live without some foods, mainly pasta!), it would be too extreme for me.

I'm only semi-vegetarian because red meat doesn't treat me very well, and there's been a few cases where I'd fallen quite ill after eating it. I'm thinking it's because of how tough red meat is compared to white meats.

Edited by Tazzay

Eating meat is a natural part of being an omnivorous animal. I don't like that the animal had to die to feed me, but that won't stop me from eating it. Animals kill and eat each other all the time, and some of them (like wolves or lions) won't even wait for the poor prey animal to die before they start eating it.

I see meat as a necessary part of a diet for an omnivorous species. I know full well proteins are present in other sources of food, however red and white meats offer the most protein per gram - although nuts and seeds offer an exceptionally similar amount. The only issue is the price of such nuts and seeds, as such, it is more economic for me to source proteins from meats. Simple as that.

I rarely consume crustaceans or fish, as I simply do not like the flavour; tuna, barramundi and flathead are the exceptions to the rule, depending on how it is prepared and cooked. Red meat wise, I vastly prefer lamb over beef as beef makes me ill. Pork is consumed in greater varieties than beef and lamb combined, while chicken is the only white meat I eat - and I eat it several times a week.

As far as my opinion on meat goes: If you eat meat or not, I'm not going to view you any differently. Although, if you are putting your health at risk to avoid, or not avoid certain foods... well, that's your prerogative as it is none of my business.

I love meat, and I see nothing wrong with eating it at all. If your dietary plan works for you, so be it!

It's... possible for humans to be healthy without meats, but easier with moderate meats :3

I want some duck right now so much you don't even know guys. Ducks are so tasty I can't.