The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

I don't think Sapphires are even a fence case - there's nothing about them that rings elemental to me, so I can't think of any specific question the answer to which would make them elemental...

The Antareans, however, have great potential, depending on what that glow they're emitting is and how they're tied to mana and/or life energy... *crosses fingers for more information*

Sapphires, at first blush, sound Elemental simply because sapphires are gemstones. But the description doesn't add anymore weight to it. I'm…kinda favouring them on the simple premise of "they're gemstones" (thinking about a Jewelry Leeloo with Pyralspite, Gold Silver or Copper, Moonstone, Sunstone, Gwyvern and Gemshards).

Antareans…I'm not a fan of aliens, but…[shrug] maybe Life? The Indian tattwa of Akasha, is variously interpreted as (depending on whom you ask) Life, Spirit, Æther or Love. They're pretty but if you're going to go with an "extraterrestrial dragon" concept they don't look very alien.

Sapphires, at first blush, sound Elemental simply because sapphires are gemstones. But the description doesn't add anymore weight to it. I'm…kinda favouring them on the simple premise of "they're gemstones" (thinking about a Jewelry Leeloo with Pyralspite, Gold Silver or Copper, Moonstone, Sunstone, Gwyvern and Gemshards).

But their description says they are just called this because of their colour, not because they are in any way actually related to the gemstone or have any relationship with it.

Edited by Lastalda

Antareans…I'm not a fan of aliens, but…[shrug] maybe Life? The Indian tattwa of Akasha, is variously interpreted as (depending on whom you ask) Life, Spirit, Æther or Love. They're pretty but if you're going to go with an "extraterrestrial dragon" concept they don't look very alien.

I don't believe that the alien part had anything to do with the concept. The spriter has said that she initially based them on the star Antares and surrounding gas cloud.

They don't look alien to me, either. I just found the mysterious glowing thing and the legend of a meteor origin reminiscent of these aliens, that's all.

I'm reserving my judgement until we get spriter/concept info. They are both very cool though. I really love the egg sprites biggrin.gif

Question: Regarding holidays, I know you have to "keep" one egg from a multiclutch - is there no way to trade the extra eggs before they auto abandon? Other than scrambling to the AP to recatch them, lol. I'm trying to do some possible planning, and I can't remember exactly how that works now!

There is no way to trade the extras. You can't pick up your own bred eggs from the AP either. Others can be on the watch for them but the first day they go super fast and within a few hours a holiday egg wall forms, meaning you can't accurately predict then your bred holiday eggs will hit the AP.

tl;dr: you have a snowball's chance of getting the extra bred eggs back.

There is no way to trade the extras. You can't pick up your own bred eggs from the AP either. Others can be on the watch for them but the first day they go super fast and within a few hours a holiday egg wall forms, meaning you can't accurately predict then your bred holiday eggs will hit the AP.

tl;dr: you have a snowball's chance of getting the extra bred eggs back.

Didn't know you couldn't pick up your own eggs off the AP. I've never actually needed to or tried.

Meh. So I can gift/trade 1 egg/hatchling or have one person on an IOU list per holiday dragon I have, and the excess are AP treasures.

(Reason this came up is I'm finally getting around to making a spreadsheet with all my Prizes/Metals/Holidays/Specials on it for easier viewing and updating [my blog is a Pain in the Butt] so I got to thinking....lol. The link for all of them will also take up less space in my signature! xd.png)

Thanks!

I have a wall of unnamed Elemental dragons I need to go take care of, but I'm not done with my spreadsheet yet. WHY IS IT ALWAYS SPREADSHEETS.

PLZ SND HALP.

Lastalda, you're right, and I came to the same conclusion. Sapphire-colour (and I always thought sapphires were closer to indigo in colour than to turquoise) does not mean "sapphires."

Now, Antares! Great. Stars, space, nebulae. That's Elemental to me.

My votes:

Sapphires: No.

Antareans: Yes, in Fire or Air.

I'm waiting to see if I get any more info on Sapphires. Right now I'd vote no on them.

Antareans however I'm voting yes in Fire.

1. They give off light

2. They are controlled by sunlight (principal food source)

I have a little more info about those from Nirami. The sun bathing thing is similar to photosynthesis, so they spend the whole day sun bathing. They are active at night. They do not control how much they glow, but can be seen easily at night. When they fly at night they can look rather like a comet or shooting star in the sky. The light they give off is just light, no heat with it. Also, the adult sprites we see on our scrolls are probably equivalent to middle aged, by the amount of fading. (per their description: the mysterious light emitted by their scales which fades from bright, nearly blinding yellow-white into dim red as the dragons get older.)

Sapphires - NO, nothing about them beyond the breed name sounds elemental to me.

Antareans - a resounding YES from me. Category is an interesting question. A lot depends on the overlap between Fire and Wind, i.e. that the sun = a star, and how we resolve that ambiguity.

The case for FIRE:

• They need the sun for nourishment.
  • They spend all day sunbathing and are active only at night (their activity is controlled by the light/sun).
  • While they don't quite resemble the sun, when they are active at night, they look like a meteor, which could be seen as the equivalent of looking like a tiny sun.
  • They emit light, however they do not have control over this (it changes with age rather than choice).
  • Based on these, I see a pretty strong connection to the sun.

The case for WIND:

• They depend on a star for nourishment.
  • Their coloration follows the life cycle of a star.
  • They are associated with meteors (by legend, also by how they look when flying at night).
  • They are drawn to the star Antares.
  • They might be aliens.
  • Based on these, I see a pretty strong connection to the cosmos.

It's a tie, for me. I think they would fit in either category and would approve them for either one. However, since Wind is our smallest category, I would slightly prefer Wind over Fire just for balance.

I'm not part of this project, but the idea of associating "wind" or "air" with cosmos-related stuff seems rather off to me.

I'm not part of this project, but the idea of associating "wind" or "air" with cosmos-related stuff seems rather off to me.

Haven't you ever heard of the original definition of ether? The first two results a site gave me were 'a : the rarefied element formerly believed to fill the upper regions of space

b : the upper regions of space :'

But it also means the air, the sky.

Anyway, I digress. I definitely vote no on Sapphires, and yes on Antareans, but like Lavinia I am uncertain as to the category. I guess I'll lean toward FIRE for now, simply because their description only hints at an otherworldly origin and states that they rely on the sunlight to live (assuming that means our sun and not the sun they're named after).

If there was a way to put them in Wind, I'm all for it though. Fire is huge and Wind is so tiny.

Edited by silver_chan

I haven't been on the forums much, whoops. Been keeping up with naming Elementals on my scroll; I should register them. Hm. Either way, if I still get a vote... No on Sapphires. Yes on Antareans, leaning mostly towards FIRE because they both emit and rely on light and seem pretty strongly tied to the sun. Wind could also work, based off the cases made here, but Fire seems more obvious.

I do have some additional information from Shajana, the conceptor for Sapphires. I've edited a skype convo with her to make it a little more concise:

[3/28/16, 6:06:01 PM] Shajana: Do you have specific questions about the breed?

Fiona: What is their relation to the gemstone?

Shajana: It's scales are just reminiscent of the gemstone. The scales are really hard and humans hunted the breed for them, the humans loved to sell them as "sapphires".

Fiona: So the scales resemble gems but aren’t stone?

Shajana: they aren't stone right they are scales

Fiona: There’s a line of white down the body, is that shine? or a stripe? It looks rather like shine to me, but I can’t tell for sure.

Shajana: The stripe are different color scales, you can see that better on the refsheet.

Fiona: So, how shiny are the dragons?

Shajana: very shiny, as you can see on the back wing, there it has the typical sapphire color, it depends on the light how blue the scales are

Fiona: So, the scales are translucent like gemstones?

Shajana: the scales are translucent like gemstones, but on the dragon they look like opaque

Fiona: How about their habitat? Diet?

Shajana: Their diet consists mainly of fruits, but they also eat large insects and other invertebrates.

Shajana: they are very adaptable, so the breed and live almost everywhere (as you can see, you can find them in all biomes)

Fiona: and their magic?

Shajana: Magic: They can use magic, but not much. They can breathe fire with magic, but they don't really work with it, it's just for defense

Fiona: And last question: are you ok with me sharing this with my lineage buddies?

Fiona: We were all wanting to know.

Shajana: sure, just please if my answers are bumpy, could you correct them a little bit? =/

So, unfortunately I still can't vote for these in the lineage. Too bad because I do like them very much. I don't think they're Elemental though. The additional information from Shajana just confirms our first impression.

I do have some additional information from Shajana, the conceptor for Sapphires. I've edited a skype convo with her to make it a little more concise:

So, unfortunately I still can't vote for these in the lineage. Too bad because I do like them very much. I don't think they're Elemental though. The additional information from Shajana just confirms our first impression.

Alas! But at least that means I can work them into other lineages that I don't want to have to bother naming Elemental, lol. They're gorgeous creatures.

I'm currently on holiday with limited internet. I plan to make a formal voting post and current tally on monday or so, but keep on. smile.gif

Edited by Lastalda

Formal Voting Post??? Whats that/????

I also have no idea how this voting thing works.. unsure.gif

It's simply how we the members of this group decide whether or not a dragon can be included as Elemental. It gets a little more complicated when we're divided on whether a dragon *should* be involved, or where in the elements that dragon should be placed, but Lastalda should explain all that when she puts up the post.

All you need to worry about is voting whether you think they should belong or not. If you're not comfortable doing it this time around, you can always watch and see how it goes. It's actually pretty fun most of the time, especially when people start passionately arguing about why they feel a dragon belongs here and not there, and stuff like that.

TJ threw a monkey wrench into our voting by releasing a dragon on April Fool's Day. I'm assuming this is an actual release as I have 4 of the eggs on my scroll, influenced.

The egg description is interesting, the hatchling description is interesting. They may be some sort of cosmic dragon. However, they also may not be breedable, due to TJ's news post. Go check it out, and good luck hunting.

I was totally egg locked, but my boyfriend caught 5 and said he will share with me.

I LUFFS him so.

The eggs and hatchlings are very pretty! Can't wait to see what happens!

I managed to scrounge up four! My silver trophy couldn't have come at a better time, tbh.

I've got seven total. Caught the last one by accident, even. Whoops.

Edited by MyrrhDarkwing

Tomorrow is Full Circle Day. I don't know if people are remembering that it's the anniversary of the lineage or not.

I forgot myself until it was too late to have adults growing up on the date and was busy yesterday so I didn't breed or catch anything to have it hatch tomorrow but plan to breed or catch some things so the laid/stolen dates are April 4. If anyone would like me to breed anything for them just let me know. Rares are probably off the table but any commons would be fine.