The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element Lineage

I vote YES for celestials - still torn on the element. Also, did I miss the vote for the other release? Did we make one of them official (dustbutts)?

Auuugh fulltime job plus part time job makes for very spazzy mishii.

we haven't voted on the dustbutts yet.

It is rather time for another shiny drawing but if you don't mind waiting a bit most of my alts and prizes are on cooldown for at least the next several days.

I was targeting some time in the next week or 2, not tomorrow.

First we get the voting done. smile.gif

Which reminds me:

Opening the voting poll on Antareans, Sapphires and Celestials!

All members are welcome to vote, but please read the following definitions carefully. Ideally we would like a breed to have 2-3 distinct characteristics to qualify for an Elemental category, so if giving a YES vote please state your reasoning along with it. You may not compare a new release to an already eligible breed. They must be voted in on their own merit.

EARTH - Dragons comprised of, resembling, or able to control rock, metal, and/or dirt, POSSIBLY residing in the earth. For example, a stone dragon is made of stone-like material AND eats rocks. Green dragons live within the caves AND have control over the earth.

WIND - Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air. For example, grey dragons land only to rest and eat AND they have control of the weather. Thunder dragons land only to sleep and breed. They get moisture from the clouds and control the weather.

FIRE - Dragons who control or are comprised of fire or electricity. Also those that resemble fire or the sun or which are controlled by or strongly tied to the sun. For example, magma dragons are coated in magma, live in volcanic regions AND are capable of withstanding intense temperatures. Sunsongs control light AND are controlled by the light.

WATER - Dragons who control or are comprised of water in either it's liquid or solid state. Also those that live the entirety of their lives in the water. For example, ice dragons form icicles on their skin, and can freeze a predator with their cold breath.

LIFE - Dragons who rely on or are affected by a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds. Dragons who possess mana pertaining to magical, mental or spiritual control or consisting of magic in a way that is different from other breeds, or having a significant positive role in the world that is different from other breeds, or having a significant effect on a very specific part of nature, which must be different than the majority of other breeds, including both positive and negative effects. For example, a qualifier can not be that the dragon depends on living in the trees alone. But Pumpkin dragons would qualify because they live specifically in pumpkins AND can only be bred during Harvest time.

Sapphires:

Dragon Description:

Sapphire dragons were so named for their brilliant blue-green color, which is reminiscent of the gemstone. This breed was historically hunted for their scales; even long after, they remain distrustful of humans. Normally a Sapphire is not very aggressive, but they will defend themselves vigorously if under attack. Their diet consists mainly of fruit, with smaller portions of large insects and other invertebrates. Males woo females with vocalizations similar to bird songs. Sapphire Dragons are very loyal to their mates, and it is not unusual that they pair for life.

Additional Info : (Thanks, Fiona!)

[3/28/16, 6:06:01 PM] Shajana: Do you have specific questions about the breed?

Fiona: What is their relation to the gemstone?

Shajana: It's scales are just reminiscent of the gemstone. The scales are really hard and humans hunted the breed for them, the humans loved to sell them as "sapphires".

Fiona: So the scales resemble gems but aren’t stone?

Shajana: they aren't stone right they are scales

Fiona: There’s a line of white down the body, is that shine? or a stripe? It looks rather like shine to me, but I can’t tell for sure.

Shajana: The stripe are different color scales, you can see that better on the refsheet.

Fiona: So, how shiny are the dragons?

Shajana: very shiny, as you can see on the back wing, there it has the typical sapphire color, it depends on the light how blue the scales are

Fiona: So, the scales are translucent like gemstones?

Shajana: the scales are translucent like gemstones, but on the dragon they look like opaque

Fiona: How about their habitat? Diet?

Shajana: Their diet consists mainly of fruits, but they also eat large insects and other invertebrates.

Shajana: they are very adaptable, so the breed and live almost everywhere (as you can see, you can find them in all biomes)

Fiona: and their magic?

Shajana: Magic: They can use magic, but not much. They can breathe fire with magic, but they don't really work with it, it's just for defense

Fiona: And last question: are you ok with me sharing this with my lineage buddies?

Fiona: We were all wanting to know.

Shajana: sure, just please if my answers are bumpy, could you correct them a little bit? =/

Yes -

No - Cathie, Lastalda, Xocowolf, Fiona, Lavinia, silver_chan, Myrrh, SnowyIcefall, mishii

Antareans:

Dragon Description:

Antarean Dragons are peaceful creatures shrouded in mystery. They are primarily found in the desert where they get most of their nutrients from sunbathing. Their most notable traits are their highly reflective manes and the mysterious light emitted by their scales which fades from bright, nearly blinding yellow-white into dim red as the dragons get older. Legend claims that they are otherworldly beings that came to this world when a meteor struck.

Additional Info: (Thanks, Fiona)

The sun bathing thing is similar to photosynthesis, so they spend the whole day sun bathing. They are active at night. They do not control how much they glow, but can be seen easily at night. When they fly at night they can look rather like a comet or shooting star in the sky. The light they give off is just light, no heat with it. Also, the adult sprites we see on our scrolls are probably equivalent to middle aged, by the amount of fading. (per their description: the mysterious light emitted by their scales which fades from bright, nearly blinding yellow-white into dim red as the dragons get older.)

Yes - Cathie (Fire), Xocowolf (Fire or Wind), Fiona (Fire), Lavinia (Fire or Wind), silver_chan (Fire), Myrrh (Fire), Lastalda (Fire), SnowyIcefall (Fire), mishii (Fire)

No -

Celestials:

Dragon Description:

Despite their great size and strength, Celestial Dragons are a peaceful breed named for their spectral, starry appearance. Little else is known about them, as they spend the vast majority of their lives partially phased out of the plane of existence through the use of powerful magic. Celestial Dragons are thought to assume their corporeal form only long enough to reproduce or to die; the rest of the time, they resemble living, breathing constellations, impervious to all physical and magical harm.

Additional info:

Basic Anatomy:

Celestial dragons are massive, solidly-built creatures that are every bit as physically imposing as they appear.  In their corporeal form their dense hide feels like suede to the touch, with regular patterns of bioluminescent blue markings on a field of midnight-purple, all of which fades to a ghostly, transparent blue when the dragon phases out. They develop a distinctive jawline and bony horns as they age; a shapely jaw and large, symmetrical horns are thought to advertise an individual's superior health and fitness to potential mates. They have large, expansive wings well-adapted to soaring for long periods of time at high altitudes. While incorporeal, their bodies can pass straight through object and organism alike, causing a sensation of walking through a warm draft of air, though doing so intentionally is considered in poor taste.

Behavior:

Celestials are intelligent, frighteningly powerful practitioners of magic. Because they spend the vast majority of their existence in an ethereal, invulnerable state, however, they are peaceful, patient creatures that customarily have no fear of predators or concern for territorial threats offered by other organisms. They seem to show aggression only when guarding their young, which are helpless until they grow strong enough to become incorporeal themselves. Once they do so, they will only resume their physical form in order to breed or when grievous illness leaves them too weak to use their own magic any longer. They are exceptionally hard to see in their incorporeal form during the day, giving rise to a mistaken assumption that they are purely nocturnal; in fact, they seem to show no preference for day or night, and simply sleep whenever the mood strikes them. Celestial dragons are nomadic and predominantly solitary, able to cross vast distances without landing. Despite this, they maintain a healthy, structured social life, forming and maintaining lasting bonds with others of their kind by congregating in small groups at ideal basking areas and engaging in animated philosophical debates. They have never been known to have disputes over territory or differences of opinion; if a celestial tires of her present company, she simply moves on.

Diet:

Celestial dragons do not eat solid food, so they need not corporealize to feed. Most of the cells in a Celestial dragon's body, both internal and external, are light-sensitive and photosynthetic, allowing them to feed quite efficiently in their celestial form even on dim starlight. When preparing to breed, both male and female Celestials will spend large swaths of the day basking lazily in the sunlight in order to stockpile energy.

Habitat:

Celestial dragons seem capable of withstanding any climate as long as the area has enough clear-sky weather to facilitate their need to bask.

Yes - Lastalda (Wind), Cathie (Wind), Xocowold (Wind), Fiona (Wind), mishii (Wind), SnowyIcefall (Wind), silver_chan (Wind), MyrrhDarkwing (Wind), Lavinia (Wind)

No -

~~~~~

Keep voting. Hope I found everything, if not, just vote again. tongue.gif

Voting will close on Wednesday 13th.

Edited by Lastalda

Ye Gods, the Celestials are hard to place!

I'm not going with Wind. I'm thinking either Fire or Life. Reason for Life: Bioluminescence, control over every cell in their body (corporeal/incorporeal), susceptibility to disease and affected significantly by it (it weakens their magic).

I'm leaning hard toward Wind with the Celestials, and I like Fiona's reasoning for them. Especially these points:

2. resemble a constellation 3. spend a large part of their lives flying. 4. Can be walked through like air? So I think Wind has a stronger claim than Life.

I admit I am torn between this and Life but I confess I'd rather see them go to Wind because Life has so many in it already >_> And anyway the constellation connection is the first thing people see, plus the fact that they seem ghostly and see-through and you can't interact with them physically, like the wind.

I just noticed one other point:

allowing them to feed quite efficiently in their celestial form even on dim starlight

This, in my opinion, puts them even more firmly in the Wind category, that they even feed on starlight. That means they're dependent on the universe, and stars in particular, for their sustenance.

Also my other votes are accurate. Thank you for keeping such good tally of our votes!

Edited by silver_chan

Sapphires: NO

Antareans (dustbutts!) - YES - FIRE - sunbathers, hot climates

Celestial - YES - WIND - strong connection to cosmos, can fly long distances easily, look like stars, gain energy from starlight

Votes updated to here. smile.gif

@Xoco:

I get the reasoning for seeing the Celestials in Wind. (And much as I sympathize with it, "this category has too few breeds" should really not play a part in voting where a new breed belongs. tongue.gif)

But where do you see the Fire connection? *curious* (Except perhaps that they feed on starlight and stars are suns hence there's a sun-connection? Sounds a bit weak to me, though.)

Yeah, Lastalda, the "stars/light-eating" connection is what I was thinking. We put Moonstones in Fire because of the latter.

I'll need convincing that Celestials belong in Wind, other than the fact they are incorporeal most of the time.

But Moonstones feed off moonlight, which is reflected light from Valkemare's sun.

Celestials feed off starlight, which is light from other, far away suns. I'm not sure that's the same...?

Oh, wait, I read again. Apparently they feed off sunlight and starlight alike (though how they can be photosensitive enough to use starlight for photosynthesis without frying in sunlight I don't quite get, but that's nitpicking about the concept, not about where to place them. xd.png Or maybe they feed off starlight in their noncorporeal form, and off sunlight in their corporeal form?).

But okay, that is a tie to Fire. smile.gif

As for Wind, well, the Wind definition reads "Dragons comprised of gas or with a strong connection to weather or the cosmos. POSSIBLY those that spend a majority of their time in the air."

I'm not quite sure whether their incorporeal form is comprised of gas or light or whatever, so the first point may or may not apply. It's pretty gas-like, though (things and people can pass through and get "a sensation of walking through a warm draft of air").

Strong connection to the cosmos: CHECK.

Spend the majority of time in the air: check.

Sounds pretty solid to me (the argument, not the dragon xd.png).

Edited by Lastalda

I would like some explanation for the bioluminescence. Yes, I agree that *normally* that means that other little microorganisms are causing it, but I see no other points supporting that they have bacteria on their skin. I think it simply means they're glowing.

I also don't see them as being particularly susceptible to disease, just that when they do get sick they can't be incorporeal. The only real tie I see to Life is the massive amounts of mana they're capable of wielding, which while a compelling argument, is only one distinct characteristic going toward Life.

It also says that their primary form of food is starlight, and that basking in the sun is a behavior they apparently only exhibit prior to breeding.

In conclusion, I still think the case for Wind is stronger than for Life *or* Fire.

Edited by silver_chan

Lastalda and silver_chan: very very good points. I can see Wind now (??!).

But dang, looks like I'm gonna have to Rochambeau to see which one to vote for: Life (Paper), Fire (Rock), Wind (Scissors)! Can I bid the Bomb, too? (Sorry, LARPer joke)

I swiped the second. Parent named AI Soul... too good of a name. Thank you!

Edited by MyrrhDarkwing

@xoco: you could say yes to all 3 options (which, by current state, would probably mean approval for wind), if you can see them in all 3 and can't decide.

Or roll a die (D6 / 2 should do tongue.gif). wink.gif

Definitely voting YES on Celestials. I've been conflicted about which element best fits them, but I've settled on Wind.

Milestone gifted!

GIFTER: Pink467

RECEIVER: Lastalda

GIFT: 2nd gen PB alt vine wub.gif

MILESTONE: 300 total elements

Edit: voting updated to here. smile.gif

Edited by Lastalda

Milestone gifted!

GIFTER: Pink467

RECEIVER: Lastalda

GIFT: 2nd gen PB alt vine wub.gif

MILESTONE: 300 total elements

Edit: voting updated to here. smile.gif

*waves madly at Pink*

poptartFINALTINY.gif

I've got a literal wall of Elements I need to name and register. But two releases back to back and a bunch of trading IOUs I'm working on and keeping organized has kept me distracted lol.

The Celestials are so pretty. biggrin.gif In both forms. Yaaaay

I haven't registered anything in ages, apart from a few milestone related dragons. xd.png Figuring out names takes so long! These days, I'm happy if I manage to at least sort my new dragons unnamed into my scroll where they belong every few weeks. xd.png

Edited by Lastalda