AngelArtist

Have You Heard of/Do You Have This?

Have you heard of synesthesia? Do you know someone with synesthesia?  

377 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I hear a name, a sort of personality comes to mind instantly, like the two are somehow paired. Is this synesthesia? Ive never heard of this before, and im not entirely sure...

Also, is it synesthesia to match up emotions and personalities to sounds (like voices, songs, and general noises)? Like, when I hear someone eating I feel really annoyed as if the sound has actually done something (like in the same way how we would poke someones side or tickle them to annoy them). Or when I hear a particular accent (i'm not naming what accent in case it offends anyone) I usually jump to a conclusion as to what that person will be like. This also leads me to not like people, because I feel scared or angered or nervious around them because of their accent. Its really strange. Could this also be synesthesia?

No, that's just the brain's way of sorting sensations into easily understood thoughts/reactions. If you've had a bad experience with someone of a certain accent, hearing it may bring back old thoughts. If you're wary of foreigners, a different accent may bring about suspicion. A person with an incredibly whiny, nasally voice is easy to stereotype as having an annoying personality. It may not be true, but our brains judge unconsciously at times.

I still don't believe the synesthesia disorder is as common as you'd think from reading this thread. I think people are confusing the natural stereotyping and creativity of the brain as something much more serious.

No, that's just the brain's way of sorting sensations into easily understood thoughts/reactions. If you've had a bad experience with someone of a certain accent, hearing it may bring back old thoughts. If you're wary of foreigners, a different accent may bring about suspicion. A person with an incredibly whiny, nasally voice is easy to stereotype as having an annoying personality. It may not be true, but our brains judge unconsciously at times.

I still don't believe the synesthesia disorder is as common as you'd think from reading this thread. I think people are confusing the natural stereotyping and creativity of the brain as something much more serious.

I'm fairly sure you have it when it is hard to explain tastes and physical pains with anything but a color.

Still, personality isn't a sense. I have personalities for numbers, but that's more of a stereotype in my head than synesthesia, which is an actual thing when your senses are interconnected. It isn't even associating a color with a feeling, it's hearing, seeing or otherwise sensing that feeling and having a color associated with THAT.

I see colors in letters (names) and numbers xd.png

Amanda I see it in these colors: Amanda

Aw My Gawd! >o<

That's SO different from how I see it! xd.png

For me it's Amanda (except the m & n are two different pinks, the blue's darker and the d is whitish xd.png Does somebody know how I can put the right colours in here? xd.png)

Edited by fallen_leaf

I'm fairly sure you have it when it is hard to explain tastes and physical pains with anything but a color.

Conversely, just because I can attribute bitter tastes with green, spicy with red, and painful sensations with flashes of bright colors does not mean I have it.

However, I look at synesthesia as an actual disorder, where I'm sure others see it as a type of perception. I guess it's just a matter of word usage in that case, like how one can have OCD tendencies but not have OCD. Maybe people can have synesthetic experiences without having actual scrambling of the senses.

Conversely, just because I can attribute bitter tastes with green, spicy with red, and painful sensations with flashes of bright colors does not mean I have it.

However, I look at synesthesia as an actual disorder, where I'm sure others see it as a type of perception. I guess it's just a matter of word usage in that case, like how one can have OCD tendencies but not have OCD. Maybe people can have synesthetic experiences without having actual scrambling of the senses.

Kind of true- you have to actually sense something, consistently, not just associate.

I actually see colors for these things, but it's really hard to explain.

Kind of true- you have to actually sense something, consistently, not just associate.

I guess because I'm bored I will try to explain now.

Um...

This is actually very hard.

I have my eyes, which see normally, but then I have something like a viewing screen located on all parts of my body. I feel the colors wherever they are, but I typically only notice the stronger ones because they are brighter, like you typically only focus your vision on something bright and shiny. Tastes are perceived in my mouth, and words to the sides and back of my head.

Did that make sense at all?

I never heard of this before, but it actually sounds kind of cool.

What colors would Angela, James, and Brooke be?

To the OP/AngelArtist, let me get this right. When you see a name, like "Zafire" you don't see it as black as we other do, but you see it in that color you now see?

Sorry if this question have been asked before, I did read the 15 pages but I might have skipped it or I need coffee lol.

I'll answer that as another synesthetic ^.^. For myself, I read them normally. Only really strong sensations, like playing a symbol at fff, can interfere with my actual vision. Instead, as I read the word in my head, I see the word again, as if there is a screen on the side of my head. Text appears black just as a clear sky appears blue, even when I may associate 'sky' with more of a blue gray.

Angela is white with a bit of pink and gold, James is red and brown, and Brooke is dark blue and dark brown.

I'll answer that as another synesthetic ^.^. For myself, I read them normally. Only really strong sensations, like playing a symbol at fff, can interfere with my actual vision. Instead, as I read the word in my head, I see the word again, as if there is a screen on the side of my head. Text appears black just as a clear sky appears blue, even when I may associate 'sky' with more of a blue gray.

Ooohh well that is rather interesting. Sort of cool in a way spite I don't think I would be able to adjust if I started to have it.

Hats off to you people who has it smile.gif

Like colours with music. Or, in my case, emotions. Used to give me a hell of a time when I was younger, because people would ask how I was feeling and I'd reply with a colour. How was I supposed to know that not everyone emotes in colour!

I sometimes get that but not all the time happy.gif" But I get it most with voices and names... Only works when someone else says it though. When I say it, there's nothing :/

I HAVE heard of this! I put on the poll that I didn't lol. I find it very interesting actually smile.gif and would be interested to know what color my name is ^^

It's Erica wink.gif PM me with the answer if you have the time as I will prolly forget that I posted this LOL.

Interesting, I haven't heard about this before!

When I was younger I used to see shapes when hearing words,

for instance 'word' would be a circle.

Would this be a type of synesthesia?

EDIT: nevermind my previous comment,

I've googled it and it's called Sound Symbolism,

if anyone is interested tongue.gif. Also, what color would 'Valeria' be?

Edited by colorfusion

I never heard of this before, but it actually sounds kind of cool.

What colors would Angela, James, and Brooke be?

Angela - magenta

James - Amber

Brooke - light blue

Erica - brown

It's actually quite common for humans to associate words with more readily identifiable things such as shapes, colors, even textures, smells, and taste. It helps us learn and remember things, as well as providing some unconscious feedback (eg. we attribute the color red to be a warning, like stop signs, traffic lights, hazardous things, blood.)

So no, I sincerely doubt it's a type of clinical synesthesia. Creativity within the confounds of the human mind? For sure. People oftentimes underestimate how complex and amazing brains are-- they deserve props too =)

Edit: This was in response to colorfusion, an eerily appropriate name for this topic.

Edited by Nine

It's actually quite common for humans to associate words with more readily identifiable things such as shapes, colors, even textures, smells, and taste. It helps us learn and remember things, as well as providing some unconscious feedback (eg. we attribute the color red to be a warning, like stop signs, traffic lights, hazardous things, blood.)

So no, I sincerely doubt it's a type of clinical synesthesia. Creativity within the confounds of the human mind? For sure. People oftentimes underestimate how complex and amazing brains are-- they deserve props too =)

Edit: This was in response to colorfusion, an eerily appropriate name for this topic.

I've never really put much thought into what it was. I just remember when mentioning it to people, no one quite understood. Words didn't have a familiar shape for that word, they had a specific shape in my mind. I don't have this anymore though, but it was nice to read about it anyways!

I might have it, but I have never heard of it. When I am listening to a song or watching tv or playing a game, a certain color or picture comes to mind. An example would be when I am listening to Stunner by Milky Chance, I imagine random flashes of color...

I probably don't have it, but I do associate certain periods of my life with different shades of fog (?) over my memories. Like last summer was a butterly yellow, a few years ago was a dark murky purple/brown.

I've heard of it, like it, but don't have it. I just have a confused mind often can't tell apart reality and imagenation, and a very unreliable memory. tongue.gif

Heard of it and it sounds pretty neat (it must be useful for studying), but don't have it.