Dr. Paine

My DVR is really spotty about actually recording shows I tell it to record

Same with mine. I had to manually tell it to record this last episode because it thought it was a repeat for some reason. My DVR has trouble with Cartoon shows. I have the same problem with Iron Man: Armored Adventures. D:

Last episode was great! The show is developing slowly, which I actually appreciate. It gives me time to think and take in the show instead of slamming from one plot to the next. Very Anime-esque.

I just hope everyone will reunite soon. I hate when the group in shows are split up for a long time *cough*Fringe*cough*. :/

To me the last episode spoiled to much of the oncoming story. Seriously, the motive of two seemingly opposing villians teaming up to polarize the crowds is not exactly ... surprising.

There are so many aspects about this show where you actually SEE where the cheap storry telling tricks have been patched together, you even see the stitches in some places. Lets hope they will give the show a more solid base in the second season because the first one isn't as well made as you would expect after the original avatar series.

This episode kind of annoyed me. I understood why Asami was taken to jail, but I didn't understand why the brothers were taken to jail. They were just standing there.

At the moment my guess is that guy is actually Amon and he's trying to create a rift between benders and non-benders so that the equalists will bring him benders and he can steal their bending powers to strengthen his own bending powers so he will be even stronger than the avatar. Or something.

My guess is either

A: The new police chief (can't recall the name) is really Amon, as Syao said.

B: If not Amon, then he's an Equalist of some sort.

C: He's an "Equalist" of his own sort, but instead of wanting to rule out Benders, he wants to eradicate non-Benders. It would explain why he rounded up all those innocent non-Benders at least.

I also fully agree with Ext3h. This episode was very, very poorly put together. To the point where my fiancee' and I actually managed to predict several lines and actions long before they ever took place. And WTF was with all the random, stupid 'comedy' they added? Tenzen yelling at the chief? The little boy asking Asami for some of her hair? The little boy Air Bending by farting? Just....WTF. By themselves, I did chuckle at Tenzen losing his cool, but the little kid was just too obnoxious to be funny.

Seriously Nickelodeon...Don't resort to creepy, farting children as "comic relief". Just...don't.

My guess is either

A: The new police chief (can't recall the name) is really Amon, as Syao said.

B: If not Amon, then he's an Equalist of some sort.

C: He's an "Equalist" of his own sort, but instead of wanting to rule out Benders, he wants to eradicate non-Benders. It would explain why he rounded up all those innocent non-Benders at least.

I also fully agree with Ext3h. This episode was very, very poorly put together. To the point where my fiancee' and I actually managed to predict several lines and actions long before they ever took place. And WTF was with all the random, stupid 'comedy' they added? Tenzen yelling at the chief? The little boy asking Asami for some of her hair? The little boy Air Bending by farting? Just....WTF. By themselves, I did chuckle at Tenzen losing his cool, but the little kid was just too obnoxious to be funny.

Seriously Nickelodeon...Don't resort to creepy, farting children as "comic relief". Just...don't.

Ah sorry, I don't think the police chief is Amon, I think Tarrlok is Amon or at least working for him. I should have been more specific but I can never remember his name tongue.gif . But I think if anyone besides the avatar is capable of removing bending powers, it would be a water/blood bender. And while I don't think he is stealing, say, fire bending powers and then gaining fire bending, I do think that by stealing bending powers it strengthens his water bending. Perhaps enough to not need the moon to blood bend? Or maybe he is trying to gain different elemental bending powers to be a second evil avatar but he needs to steal lots and lots of bending powers for that to actually work? Either way, I'm pretty sure Amon is stealing the bending powers and not just removing them.

However, it's early in the show and they probably want you to think Tarrlok is Amon or working for him, so I'm probably wrong.

I agree about the dumb random comedy in there. It was all serious business and then the characters would have random exaggerated goofy faces that absolutely didn't fit the moment, nor did they fit the character's personalities, nor did the actors do a good job of voice acting for the exaggerated goofy faces. This show is a little too dark for funny faces and fart jokes.

Also, I wish they could have had a strong female character as the avatar that wasn't butch. Being feminine is not a weakness. Suki from The Last Airbender is a good example, or Azula despite being completely insane. I actually thought Azula was hilarious and an awesome character until she got a little freaky during the final episodes.

Sorry if I sound critical in all of my posts, I do love this show, I just think complaining is more fun than complimenting. laugh.gif

Nah, I think it's more fun if Tarrlok isn't Amon. :3 Though I wondered if blood bending could be used to permanently chi-block someone... though if that's what he were doing, wouldn't the healers have been able to find it? :\

But I've been kind of enjoying Korra being a bit 'butch,' at least in terms of her physical design. I like that she's got some muscle and heft to her. It makes her something different. A lot of the old Team Avatar were pretty lightly built.

This episode kind of annoyed me. I understood why Asami was taken to jail, but I didn't understand why the brothers were taken to jail. They were just standing there.

Tarrlok did that just to anger Korra. They had no right to arrest all those Non-Benders either, but they still tried. No one should have been arrested. It was clearly a move by Tarrlok to anger Korra enough to trap her into the battle at the end of the episode.

The Republic City government system is clearly breaking down and Tarrlok is the cause. I'm not sure if he's working with Amon, but if he isn't, he sure is playing right into Amon's hands.

I also agree that the fart joke was out of place and rather tacky. They could have easily thrown something else in there to lighten the mood, if that's what they were going for. :|

Edited by MysticTiger

Tarrlok did that just to anger Korra. They had no right to arrest all those Non-Benders either, but they still tried. No one should have been arrested. It was clearly a move by Tarrlok to anger Korra enough to trap her into the battle at the end of the episode.

The Republic City government system is clearly breaking down and Tarrlok is the cause. I'm not sure if he's working with Amon, but if he isn't, he sure is playing right into Amon's hands.

I also agree that the fart joke was out of place and rather tacky. They could have easily thrown something else in there to lighten the mood, if that's what they were going for. :|

Yeah I understood that it was to piss off Korra, but at least with Asami he did give a legal reason, even if the law was completely stupid. With those guys he didn't even give the slightest legit reason. It was kind of weird that he gave a reason for arresting Asami but then felt no need to give any reason at all for the other guys. Too bad Korra can't reach the Avatar state, she should have killed him.

Ah sorry, I don't think the police chief is Amon, I think Tarrlok is Amon or at least working for him. I should have been more specific but I can never remember his name tongue.gif

That's exactly who I meant as well, Tarlok. xd.png For some reason my brain was not with me when I posted that. xd.png

Butyeh. Regardless, it's highly obvious that Tarlok is SOME sort of bad guy. We just don't know how yet. Zuko and Iroh were humanized from the beginning of TLA, so even though you started out thinking they were bad guys, it wasn't a shock to have them become good in the end. Whereas Tarlok is just and all around, full-out censorkip.gif.

Tarlok and Amon are opposite extremes. I don't think they're the same people at all.

Amon wants to eradicate benders.

Tarlok wants to eradicate non-benders. In doing so he's playing into Amon's hands, possibly intentionally in order to get more non-benders to react violently so that they can be deemed as Equalists and arrested.

I had always known Tarlok was a corrupt politician, but to that extent? I can honestly say I didn't see that coming. I'm eager to find out the connection between the Bloodbender in Korra's flashback and Tarlok.

As a whole, I rather enjoyed the episode. Yeah, the fart joke with Meelo was low-brow, but I thought it was kind of funny when he asked Asami for a lock of her hair. It's Meelo. Meelo would completely do that kind of thing because he's a little psycho boy. I also enjoyed Tenzin losing his cool in that controlled sort of way. It's something his parents would do (I was strongly reminded of Katara).

I tend not to be hyper critical of things, and I'm not really seeing a lot of "cheap story telling". Most shows use similar "cheap storytelling" gags and cliches. Cliches are used because they tend to work when done well. I think Korra's doing a good job of dropping hints and showing without telling, especially within the flashbacks. It's like "Here, we're dropping a hint. Let's see if the audience is sharp enough to figure this out before the big reveal."

And, iirc, I think Korra is only 26 episodes long. A single season with no other books.

By having opposite goals, they are accomplishing the same thing which is dividing benders and non-benders. Which is why I think Tarlok might be Amon or is working for Amon so he can work things from both sides.

Also the flashbacks happen so fast to me that I have no idea what's going on in them tongue.gif . I didn't know that the guy in the latest flashback was a bloodbender. I thought he was just some guy Aang didn't like.

I'm with Kila on the Tarrlok/Amon aspect. I think they are two different people. Although, their voices can sound eerily similar. Personally, I think that Tarrlok has some connection with Hama- crazy Waterbender/Bloodbender lady from AtLA. I'm not quite sure what it could be since he's too young to be her son. Maybe her grandson?

It's hard to decide his connection due to Korra's flashback. To see Sokka, Aang, and Toph all in the vision makes me think that Tarrlok is older than he looks OR that he has a doppelganger. It WAS Tarrlok in the vision... right?

Edited by sheppardkid

I just rewatched that episode, and that flashback did have me confused although now it's easier to see the bloodbending. I was at the lake when this episode aired so I watched the episode on my cell phone, and I guess I couldn't catch what was going on on the tiny screen.

Maybe that is Tarrlok in the flashback, and he's really Amon and he steals bending powers to remain youthful. It's frustrating that Korra is unable to contact the past avatars. I wish she'd realize that she's useless to republic city in her current state and she needs to buckle down and train seriously.

Tarlok and Amon are opposite extremes. I don't think they're the same people at all.

Amon wants to eradicate benders.

Tarlok wants to eradicate non-benders. In doing so he's playing into Amon's hands, possibly intentionally in order to get more non-benders to react violently so that they can be deemed as Equalists and arrested.

I had always known Tarlok was a corrupt politician, but to that extent? I can honestly say I didn't see that coming. I'm eager to find out the connection between the Bloodbender in Korra's flashback and Tarlok.

As a whole, I rather enjoyed the episode. Yeah, the fart joke with Meelo was low-brow, but I thought it was kind of funny when he asked Asami for a lock of her hair. It's Meelo. Meelo would completely do that kind of thing because he's a little psycho boy. I also enjoyed Tenzin losing his cool in that controlled sort of way. It's something his parents would do (I was strongly reminded of Katara).

I tend not to be hyper critical of things, and I'm not really seeing a lot of "cheap story telling". Most shows use similar "cheap storytelling" gags and cliches. Cliches are used because they tend to work when done well. I think Korra's doing a good job of dropping hints and showing without telling, especially within the flashbacks. It's like "Here, we're dropping a hint. Let's see if the audience is sharp enough to figure this out before the big reveal."

And, iirc, I think Korra is only 26 episodes long. A single season with no other books.

A lot of people seem to be missing that although it's 26 episodes long (currently), it's apparently being split into two seasons, with the first season being 14 episodes long and the second being 12 episodes long. That's what I've understood, anyway.

I just rewatched that episode, and that flashback did have me confused although now it's easier to see the bloodbending. I was at the lake when this episode aired so I watched the episode on my cell phone, and I guess I couldn't catch what was going on on the tiny screen.

Maybe that is Tarrlok in the flashback, and he's really Amon and he steals bending powers to remain youthful. It's frustrating that Korra is unable to contact the past avatars. I wish she'd realize that she's useless to republic city in her current state and she needs to buckle down and train seriously.

I speculated that it was Tarlok's father c:

I pay extra close attention to flashbacks because I'm desperately trying to figure out more about Sokka. I play them over a few times so I make sure I don't miss anything /loves Sokka

I think this whole thing has something to do with the problem Aang faced when Republic City was first founded.

Also, I think it'd be silly of them to split something that's 26 episodes long into two seasons. The other books were roughly 26 episodes long as well, and the title of this book is air, in which Korra has to master air. Going by all the other books in which Aang learned the corresponding element... so... OH WELL. We'll find out eventually XD

That GIF is perfect. Even though I'm a Borra fan. Korra should not have to compensate for let down Zutara fans :|

I was hoping grown Sokka would have a...manlier voice, though XD I still fangirl'd hardcore, though. Like Foamy hardcore.

user posted image

Edited by Kila

I really don't think Bryke intended Makorra to be an apology or a compromise to Zutara shippers. Yeah, so it's a female waterbender and a male firebender. So what? That's where the distinctions end. It really echoed Kataang in the way it started out, and that's the way it's meant to be. I say this as someone who ships both Kataang and Zutara equally. Also, I'd love it if Borrasami happened, because I don't want either of them to end up forever alone in the wake of Mako's impending change of heart.

I also love what Bryke are doing with the waterbenders in this series. In A:TLA it was all about the sexy, angsty, brooding firebenders--who will always be my favorites--but LoK's showcasing the waterbenders in a similar fashion. Admittedly, I wasn't really taken by them, even by the end of Book Three, but now the tables have turned.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who likes and is fascinated by Tarrlok. >.> He's tied with Mako for favorite character.

I'd also say that Makkorra isn't just Zutara II: This Time It's Canon, since Korra really doesn't behave like your typical water bender. In fighting, she almost always seems to go for fire and earth before water. Mako is sometimes a bit like Zuko in the way that he's the tough violence-is-usually-the-answer type, but I don't get much of Katara in Korra.

Tarrlok is someone I've been loving to hate. It's been so interesting watching him go from well-meaning but power-grabbing councilman to outright evil overlord in the making. I was actually kind of disappointed that his bending was taken so soon after we'd found out he was a blood bender.

Speaking of blood bending, I think Amon's one. I think he can bend with his mind, bent his own blood to keep coming at Tarrlok, and uses blood bending to create a permanent form of chi blocking. That is my crackpot conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it. :3

This new season isn't as funny as the first. sad.gif I still love it and have a major heart attack each time someone mentions Aang, but I was looking for more goofiness from Korra. I think the funniest thing she's done was have a burping contest with Bolin. happy.gif

What the heck, is Amon even human?

He'd be such a cool character if he only targeted bad benders, instead of all of them.

Edited by Syaoransbear

What the heck, is Amon even human?

He'd be such a cool character if he only targeted bad benders, instead of all of them.

I have a hunch that Ko the face stealer gave him special powers. But that's my crackpot theory. xd.png

I have a hunch that Ko the face stealer gave him special powers. But that's my crackpot theory. xd.png

That's a brilliant idea!

I definitely don't think a fire bender burned his face like he says. It would be a little cliche for them to have another person with their face burnt up in legend of korra like they did in the last airbender.

However, it is strange how a lot of people seem to have their parents killed by firebenders.

Amon, Mako & Bolin, and Asami. I think somehow that's supposed to be all connected, but I'm not sure. >>;

Also, I totally have changed my opinion on Asami now. At first I was completely convinced she was some double-agent type character that was only with Mako to get to Korra, but now I think otherwise completely. Although now I fear she'll be pushed to the Equalists because of jealousy...

Agh, I just want to jump into the show and steal her away ;~;

Also, Asami reminds me of June the Bounty Hunter.