Dr. Paine

The bay is named after princess Yue (Yue Bay) because it's shaped like a crescent moon. And it's something Sokka would totally do, the derp.

Just started watching and aslkdfj;kldsa I love this show. :3

I'm kinda with Terahlyanwe, though. I was really expecting Tenzin to be a bit more... Dumbledore-ish. Like, you could not make this guy mad (but if you did, you better run), but he seems to get annoyed with Korra really easily... But bless Mako and Bolin they are precious and I love them.

Anyway, I was thinking of something. So earth, fire, and water bending all have their own sorts of extended techniques (metal, lightning, and blood bending, respectively). Does air bending have any extra application like that? I don't remember...

ETA:

The Big Bad for this show is already so much more intimidating to me than the Fire Lord ever was. Just sayin'. Yikes.

Edited by Stromboli

Anyway, I was thinking of something. So earth, fire, and water bending all have their own sorts of extended techniques (metal, lightning, and blood bending, respectively). Does air bending have any extra application like that? I don't remember...

I don't think so, that's why I always felt air bending was crappy tongue.gif . I wish the avatar would learn blood bending. That always seemed like it could be incredibly useful. Old lady Katarra could take out Amon in a second with her blood bending.

I adore this show. I sit there staring wide eyed like "MUST. SAVOR. EVERY. SECOND."

But there's pretty much the same personalities here as in the last show, which I dislike. I wish there was a little more variety. I would enjoy a stereotypical talented insecure character that was freakishly awesome at bending but only did it under extreme circumstances because of a lack of confidence.

Korra = toned down version of Toph

Mako = less angry Zuko

Bolin = Sokka as an earth bender

And I've always felt that when an avatar masters an element, it should show. Korra's powers either seem equal to a normal bender's powers, only sometimes slightly better, or sometimes even weaker. I mean, you spent your whole life having people provide you with everything you need just so you could focus on bending, and you are the reincarnation of thousands of avatars, and your whole life has been spent training, shouldn't your bending be really, really good instead of average?

I dislike Tenzin. He's pretty much the exact opposite of an air bender. He's more like a fire bender. Air benders are supposed to be really silly and nonrestrictive. He just wants to control Korra. No wonder she can't learn air bending. That guy's kids are better examples of air benders, they would probably be better teachers.

SPOILER FOR EPISODE 7:

I totally knew that Sato guy was evil. The first time he came into the show I just knew he was evil. He was too helpful while being sneaky and ominous at the same time. Maybe that voice actor is really good or something and they directed him to sound that way.

Edited by Syaoransbear

I don't think so, that's why I always felt air bending was crappy tongue.gif . I wish the avatar would learn blood bending. That always seemed like it could be incredibly useful. Old lady Katarra could take out Amon in a second with her blood bending.

I adore this show. I sit there staring wide eyed like "MUST. SAVOR. EVERY. SECOND."

But there's pretty much the same personalities here as in the last show, which I dislike. I wish there was a little more variety. I would enjoy a stereotypical talented insecure character that was freakishly awesome at bending but only did it under extreme circumstances because of a lack of confidence.

Korra = toned down version of Toph

Mako = less angry Zuko

Bolin = Sokka as an earth bender

And I've always felt that when an avatar masters an element, it should show. Korra's powers either seem equal to a normal bender's powers, only sometimes slightly better, or sometimes even weaker. I mean, you spent your whole life having people provide you with everything you need just so you could focus on bending, and you are the reincarnation of thousands of avatars, and your whole life has been spent training, shouldn't your bending be really, really good instead of average?

I dislike Tenzin. He's pretty much the exact opposite of an air bender. He's more like a fire bender. Air benders are supposed to be really silly and nonrestrictive. He just wants to control Korra. No wonder she can't learn air bending. That guy's kids are better examples of air benders, they would probably be better teachers.

SPOILER FOR EPISODE 7:

I totally knew that Sato guy was evil. The first time he came into the show I just knew he was evil. He was too helpful while being sneaky and ominous at the same time. Maybe that voice actor is really good or something and they directed him to sound that way.

I don't think enough of Tenzin has been shown to really get a good grasp. And it's already been stated that Korra has trouble with Airbending because she completely neglected her spiritual training (word of god is that the reason all Air Nomads were benders was because they were all highly spiritual). That and Tenzin isn't quite sure of how to handle Korra. He hasn't had to parent a teenager yet, and she's the reincarnation of his father. I feel like he's more at a loss for what to do, so he's learning along with Korra. The teacher teaches the pupil and the pupil teaches the master, etc.

On Korra's bending, I don't think she's mastered the elements yet. She knows them, but I don't think she's mastered them yet. I doubt she'll master the elements until she can enter the Spirit World or access the Avatar State (again, she's neglected that part of her training).

I think Korra's personality differs from Toph's. Toph didn't have a lot of the insecurities Korra has (if she did they were never shown). She's tough and athletic, and I can see how she's like Toph, but to call her watered down, in my opinion, is kind of unfair to her character (which is still developing).

Totally agree with Stromboli on Amon, though. It doesn't hurt that Steven Blum is an amazing voice actor, either /swoon

I don't think enough of Tenzin has been shown to really get a good grasp. And it's already been stated that Korra has trouble with Airbending because she completely neglected her spiritual training (word of god is that the reason all Air Nomads were benders was because they were all highly spiritual). That and Tenzin isn't quite sure of how to handle Korra. He hasn't had to parent a teenager yet, and she's the reincarnation of his father. I feel like he's more at a loss for what to do, so he's learning along with Korra. The teacher teaches the pupil and the pupil teaches the master, etc.

On Korra's bending, I don't think she's mastered the elements yet. She knows them, but I don't think she's mastered them yet. I doubt she'll master the elements until she can enter the Spirit World or access the Avatar State (again, she's neglected that part of her training).

I think Korra's personality differs from Toph's. Toph didn't have a lot of the insecurities Korra has (if she did they were never shown). She's tough and athletic, and I can see how she's like Toph, but to call her watered down, in my opinion, is kind of unfair to her character (which is still developing).

Totally agree with Stromboli on Amon, though. It doesn't hurt that Steven Blum is an amazing voice actor, either /swoon

I'm aware of that, but so far all that's been shown of Tensin is him being like "Do this, don't do that, stay here and train, blah bnlah blah, YOU ARE EVEN FORBIDDEN FROM THE RADIO!!!". I judge as I go along since my opinion is always changeable smile.gif, plus if I reserved my opinion until the final episode of the show I wouldn't be able to talk about it for years laugh.gif .

It definitely doesn't seem like she's mastered any of the bending skills, but I seem to recall her claiming that she mastered 3 of them. So it made me think, "...So that's as good as it gets? Really?".

Korra as a child and the episode where her and Bolin go out on a date really made me think of Toph. Her personality seems kind of fluid at this point, but her consistent traits remind me a lot of Toph so far.

I wonder if the avatar will ever learn metal bending? The last few episodes she's very much neglected her air bending in favor of pursuing Amon. If Amon is going to be the villain for the rest of the show, I wonder when she's going to get around to it. Especially with her disinterest in air bending.

Personallay, I think people are being too quick to compare characters to the original series (although I suppose its understandable.) In personality Korra is quite different from Toph, even if she has the same forceful, hot-headed-ness. She's lacking her quick wit (seriously, verbal jousting is not her forte), is more sentimental (can you imagine Toph gushing about how "we're meant to be together"?) and I think Korra does care more about the feelings of those around her, but is a bit inept about protecting them.

Bolin is quite similar to Sokka, but I think he has some crucial differences. He's missing a lot of the snark and sarcasm; while he has a similar goofy humour as Sokka did, it feels a lot more genuine. Its like he just wants to make people laugh. I also think his flaws/insecurities are different. Sokka felt that he was ready to be a man and a leader, but was afraid that it would never be acknowledged. Bolin is afraid that he's useless, and doesn't know how to step out of his brother's shadow.

I agree that Mako has a lot of similarities to Zuko, but also key differences. When he's with people he likes, he's way goofier and sappy. The way he expresses his anger is with a sort of passive agressiveness, and sharpness, while Zuko was more like "RAWR ANGRY!" I think Mako is more selfless, too.

Just my opinion, but I think the paralells people are drawing are rather superficial.

Can you be anything other than superficial so early on in this show laugh.gif ?

I kind of just wish they had used some different basic personalities than going with stubborn, dark, and silly for the main characters. I'm just glad they didn't have a motherly main character. But I guess they needed their comedy relief, and Korra having a crush on someone who is serious and a leader-type is probably the only way she can be controlled to follow the plan and not just take off and handle things the way she wants to.

I think Mako is exactly how Zuko would have been if Zuko didn't have such a screwed up family/childhood or go through getting half his face burned off by his dad and getting exiled and living life looking like zombie.

Asami seems like a pretty 'blah' character. Nice, pretty, rich, talented, smart, can fight. Kinda boring. The only thing interesting about her is her daddy problems. I wonder if they'll give her some huge character flaws or just let her character fall to some stereotypical plot like getting brainwashed/kidnapped and leaving their group. I hope they don't leave her as mainly romantic competition.

The romance in the show went really fast paced for me. But maybe I was just used to Aang and Katara's relationship.

Also how come only fire benders seem to be the ones murdering people's families? Are they just naturally murderous jerks tongue.gif ?

I'm aware of that, but so far all that's been shown of Tensin is him being like "Do this, don't do that, stay here and train, blah bnlah blah, YOU ARE EVEN FORBIDDEN FROM THE RADIO!!!". I judge as I go along since my opinion is always changeable smile.gif, plus if I reserved my opinion until the final episode of the show I wouldn't be able to talk about it for years laugh.gif .

It definitely doesn't seem like she's mastered any of the bending skills, but I seem to recall her claiming that she mastered 3 of them. So it made me think, "...So that's as good as it gets? Really?".

Korra as a child and the episode where her and Bolin go out on a date really made me think of Toph. Her personality seems kind of fluid at this point, but her consistent traits remind me a lot of Toph so far.

I wonder if the avatar will ever learn metal bending? The last few episodes she's very much neglected her air bending in favor of pursuing Amon. If Amon is going to be the villain for the rest of the show, I wonder when she's going to get around to it. Especially with her disinterest in air bending.

Ah, as far as mastering goes...

If I recall, Air nomads got their tattoos when they became Air Masters, which also meant you had learned all (I think there were 40) bending techniques/forms. So, personally, I take this to mean that "to master" an element just means that you are competent at all the forms and can reliably pull them off. Sort of like reaching the black belt level of that style. But just because you've learned all the styles and can do them, doesn't really mean (at least to me) that you can do them to the best of YOUR ability. I think, even though Aang mastered everything when he was 12ish, an adult Aang would probably always be better at bending than young Aang because of experience and practice.

Sooooo in summary I think even if Korra has mastered her three elements, it might not mean that they're really as "good as it gets" for her.

UGH why can't I have one fandom that I don't start shipping all over in ten seconds? I'm terrible.

Makorra is adorable. Though I haven't got to episode 7 yet, and I hear that it sank that ship for a lot of people... And I get the feeling that it's gonna be a bit like Zutara, where half the people on the interwebs want it with a fiery passion, but it just never becomes real canon.

I can't believe the next episode is almost two weeks away after they had been coming out weekly. I'm deprived :'(.

Google's telling me the next episode comes out on the 2nd, which makes it about a week and a half.

One of the original storyboarders posted storyboard panels in deviantart made back in 2010 for episode two. It's really cool to see how the development changed from the first drafts to the final.

Link

Edited by Daydreamer09

Although I think Legend of Korra seems more mature, The Last Airbender seemed to deal with a more mature main plot. I mean, it was a war. People were killed, hurt, and tortured in the Last Airbender. In the Legend of Korra it's like 'Waahh boo hoo they took my bending away. Being normal is so horrible'. laugh.gif

I just seen this show the other day (since episode 1-7 was on OnDemand) and I have to say, i'm enjoying it. It's got a much large budget then the original (the animation is crazy, but not always in a good way) and the tone of the story is totally different. While The Last Airbender was always a adventure story with a massive world, this feels more like a closer story with everything contained in one area. It's not bad, just different. They do feel more like different shows then one big series. Not to mention, this series is a lot more mature. I feel like it's aimed towards teenagers/younger adults more then children/preteens, like the last series.

I'm really enjoying it so far, though.

Although I think Legend of Korra seems more mature, The Last Airbender seemed to deal with a more mature main plot. I mean, it was a war. People were killed, hurt, and tortured in the Last Airbender. In the Legend of Korra it's like 'Waahh boo hoo they took my bending away. Being normal is so horrible'. laugh.gif

In the beginning of Episode 7, the announcer person says that the Equalists plan to do more than taking away people's bending.

In the beginning of Episode 7, the announcer person says that the Equalists plan to do more than taking away people's bending.

Well until they start murdering people like in The Last Airbender, it just doesn't seem that serious. Can the equalists really do anything worse than the mass genocide that happened in the last airbender?

Although the equalists are very silly. They are kicking the asses of all the master benders, don't they realize that if they can overpower master benders, including the avatar, that they are equal? Taking away their bending is just overkill. laugh.gif

Well, I think it's more about the "common man" who isn't an electro-ninja, and can't defend himself against a bender like they can.

I finally jumped on The Legend of Korra bandwagon and seen episodes 1-7 and I have to admit, the show is not half bad. I still like ATLA better, but that's understandable, since it had 3 seasons' time to grow on me and Korra has only just begun + I just loved the ATLA's massive world, many nations and political intrigue and Korra looks like it will most likely take place in Republic City - I suppose it's a good thing, since it gives the new show its own flavour and sets it apart from its predecestor. Korra is a cool character, she grew on me almost immediately and the rest of the core cast is interesting and likeable as well. The only one I'm neutral about is Asami, I just can't read that character, even her design seems kind of anaemic - I'm hoping they'll develop her a little bit in the future episodes. I'll definitely be seeing more of the show. ^^

I've been watching them online, and it's worked pretty well for me. My DVR is really spotty about actually recording shows I tell it to record, so I've turned to my laptop for Korra watching. This website has multiple videos of each episode, although it also has some annoying advertising.

The episodes are all available legally on Nickelodeon's website. Its got some ads, but its all funding the show, so...