RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

I adopted a puppy and I had to send him away because my brother got cancer sad.gif

Now my best friend doesnt want to be friends with me anymore because shes got other friend to hang out with

What do I do? sad.gif

Ok so I'm having a little bit of an issue with my external hard drive. Well with both of them, actually. They're both Seagate FreeAgent hard drives, one a slightly older model and one slightly newer.

I've uploaded a heap of movies/music/other files from my laptop (Macbook pro) to my hard drives. I've deleted the content off my computer, but it still all appears on the hard drive when I plug it back into my computer and I can still play all the videos etc.

The problem is, my TV has a USB port and whenever I plug the external hard drives in, the TV registers that a hard drive is plugged in and loads as normal and such, but then it says that the hard drive is empty and has nothing on it. When it does, since I can see it all on my computer.

The videos etc. are not in the wrong format. They're actually things I took directly from a friend and they're exactly the same things that are on his external hard drive, which plays perfectly and normally on my TV.

It's not that the TV can't play these things, since his all plays fine. And my hard drive appears as empty on all other TVs as well.

At first I thought the external hard drive had some kind of issue with it, so I bought a new one. But it's the same for both.

This friend whose hard drive works fine on my computer has a macbook (not pro) that he uploads everything from.

When I first plugged in my hard drive, it automatically configured for mac rather than windows and I think I need to do some more configuration to make it so that the files appear on a TV too, I just don't know what. I know it can't be an issue between macs and TVs though, since my friend has a mac and his works fine.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to give as much info as possible so hopefully someone can help me out with this. I've tried searching on google, except I have no idea what to put in in the first place so I'm not really getting much that's useful. xd.png

tl;dr - I put video files from my mac onto my external hard drive but when I plug it into the TV, the hard drive appears empty. Help?

Edited by StormWizard212

Ok so I'm having a little bit of an issue with my external hard drive. Well with both of them, actually. They're both Seagate FreeAgent hard drives, one a slightly older model and one slightly newer.

I've uploaded a heap of movies/music/other files from my laptop (Macbook pro) to my hard drives. I've deleted the content off my computer, but it still all appears on the hard drive when I plug it back into my computer and I can still play all the videos etc.

The problem is, my TV has a USB port and whenever I plug the external hard drives in, the TV registers that a hard drive is plugged in and loads as normal and such, but then it says that the hard drive is empty and has nothing on it. When it does, since I can see it all on my computer.

The videos etc. are not in the wrong format. They're actually things I took directly from a friend and they're exactly the same things that are on his external hard drive, which plays perfectly and normally on my TV.

It's not that the TV can't play these things, since his all plays fine. And my hard drive appears as empty on all other TVs as well.

At first I thought the external hard drive had some kind of issue with it, so I bought a new one. But it's the same for both.

This friend whose hard drive works fine on my computer has a macbook (not pro) that he uploads everything from.

When I first plugged in my hard drive, it automatically configured for mac rather than windows and I think I need to do some more configuration to make it so that the files appear on a TV too, I just don't know what. I know it can't be an issue between macs and TVs though, since my friend has a mac and his works fine.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to give as much info as possible so hopefully someone can help me out with this. I've tried searching on google, except I have no idea what to put in in the first place so I'm not really getting much that's useful. xd.png

tl;dr - I put video files from my mac onto my external hard drive but when I plug it into the TV, the hard drive appears empty. Help?

You've got a formatting issue. With the way the drive is currently formatted the TV can't register anything that's on it. Now I confess I don't know Macs - never had anything to do with them - but I suspect that may be the problem. As in, the TV can't read the Mac formatting.

I wouldn't know how to fix that, to be honest. Might be worth checking the info that came with the TV to see what that has to say.

You've got a formatting issue. With the way the drive is currently formatted the TV can't register anything that's on it. Now I confess I don't know Macs - never had anything to do with them - but I suspect that may be the problem. As in, the TV can't read the Mac formatting.

I wouldn't know how to fix that, to be honest. Might be worth checking the info that came with the TV to see what that has to say.

After about an hour of searching, I managed to find a website that told me I needed to re-format for FAT32. So I've done that and it finally works. biggrin.gif Thank goodness. I was getting so frustrated.

Thanks for the help, Tikindi. smile.gif

Is there a good website/software that I can use to make a simple poster, or should I just use the Microsoft whatever program?

Hm, maybe not what you mean, but there's the demotivational poster maker here, and the site has other common meme generators if you poke around on there.

Is there a good website/software that I can use to make a simple poster, or should I just use the Microsoft whatever program?

Not being funny - but you can make excellent ones with ANY word processor. I've tried publisher programmes - and when it comes right down to it - the word processor does just as well. I'm even creating a game board in Word as we speak !

I personally always liked Microsoft Publisher for '98 or '03(?).

Publisher! That was the name. I like that, will get on a school computer.

Open Office sucks sometimes.

What possible HELP question needs a poll ? "Do you want help with this" - well, anyone who does will want the answer, not to just say "yes/no/meh". unsure.gif

Help is for asking for help, not opinions.

I'd think - if it is a QUESTION about DC (and not a help thing) you could post it in site discussion. There are several polls there.

Well, lets say the Help would be say just for example,

"Should I go back to college and flunk out again"

"Should I go back to college and hope to pass"

Not my questions, just examples...

And maybe sometimes an help question has not one answer, but more and maybe I just want an answer in a form of the poll to here opinions as I might be tired of the simple Yea, no, Maybe answers, i want more of an honest opinion for an answer....Is that wrong, no, well, so thats why I would want to ask a question and add a poll.....

Think about it.....

Now, lets prove this and see what you get..

Should I punish my cousin next time I see her bc she stole my game and her parents fount out and she apologised even though she really don't mean it?

(P.S Her Parents give me all the permissions I need for anything and my punishments aren't mean)

A: Punish Her

B: Apology is enough

C: Both

D: Either/Other(Please explain below

And 2nd reason for a poll reply....

Maybe the person don't have time or don't feel up to responding in long talk, or don't even want to be known they posted, so the poll is there so you can remain anonymous, choose one thats the best in their opinion with 2 seconds, or etc...

So, maybe its up to me if I want to host a poll ot benefit the people who like polls but also like to post....It is just the fact that some people answer quicker on polls then they do in replies, and would clear clutter up if you could ask a poll reply....

One reply, or one post, with the poll as the question, people can click and vote or leave replies within this...

----

My main reason is stated above with my 2nd question as an poll without the voting options as you can't poll reply sad.gif

That kind of help wouldn't be allowed in the Help section (Help being for site and forum questions), and I would advise against making a new topic for something like that at all. Use this thread or the Unofficial Advice Thread to ask for opinions. No polls there.

NixAyum: See, exactly my point for a poll reply, as I can't post it anywhere except here or another thread where polls aren't allowed and maybe I wanted a poll....

So, my main question, should I make a suggestion in the suggestion area where you can add a poll reply? As my just simply doing a poll here as I earlier did is not real poll which is not good enough Imo.....

Having anybody be able to add a poll would be extremely messy.

If you're looking for advice, why can't you gather opinions? It's going to get you better advice than simply throwing up poll options.

Is there any way to make Ctrl+click work in Opera like it does in Firefox (opening link in a new tab)?

Okay, so a few days ago, my MacBook Pro screen just went black. I thought it was sleeping because I had just taken the dog for a walk (and silly me for not shutting it down or closing the lid), so I moved the track pad to wake it up and nothing happened. I also tried adjusting the lighting, and that didn't work either. I forced the shut-down and waited awhile before turning it back on, but nothing happened there either. The indicator light turned on, and I could hear some whirring noise, but the fans didn't kick on nor did the screen come on. The battery was fully charged, too, according to the battery indicator light.

This happened once before and after awhile of trying to figure it out, I just left it alone for the rest of the night and it turned back on for me the next morning. However, that's not happening now either (it's been about 3 days since the screen went black).

Any ideas what could be wrong?

And NixAyum: For Opera, try Shift+click to open the link in a new tab. But if you don't like that way, you can try changing it in your Preferences.

Edited by Salicana

So... I've got a collection of comics/stories that are in Japanese, and I need to find somebody to translate it.

Any suggestions of where to look for somebody I could hire? And what kind of rates I could expect people to charge?

@Salicana: Try taking the battery out and putting it back in. I've never had a MacBook so I don't know if it's the same problem, but my laptop did the exact same thing and that worked for me.

Not sure about Pro's, but the MacBook's have a common problem of whatever the piece is coming loose (completely forgot what it was called) and not working anymore. Happened with mine (something else also broke that we had to get fixed, can't remember it either) and we had to send it in to get it replaced. In my case, the screen just suddenly went dark. If I peered at it in certain light I could tell it was still there and through a few tricks could get it to vaguely show up for a few minutes (like taking the battery out) before it would disappear again. So if the battery trick doesn't solve it, you may have to take it in. >_e

Not sure about Pro's, but the MacBook's have a common problem of whatever the piece is coming loose (completely forgot what it was called) and not working anymore. Happened with mine (something else also broke that we had to get fixed, can't remember it either) and we had to send it in to get it replaced. In my case, the screen just suddenly went dark. If I peered at it in certain light I could tell it was still there and through a few tricks could get it to vaguely show up for a few minutes (like taking the battery out) before it would disappear again. So if the battery trick doesn't solve it, you may have to take it in. >_e

Bah, that's what I figured. My boyfriend and I tried every trick we could think of (including the battery trick), but nothing worked. He thinks it might have to do with the video card (I think that's what he said). But, thanks for the help anyway.

Are the MLP blind bags available in the US? If so, are they Toys-R-Us exclusive? I've been poking around but I haven't found anything.

So... I've got a collection of comics/stories that are in Japanese, and I need to find somebody to translate it.

Any suggestions of where to look for somebody I could hire? And what kind of rates I could expect people to charge?

A friend of mine once hired a college student to translate slashy dojinshi in exchange for beer? xd.png Seriously, though, universities have people who are learning Japanese and I bet a lot of them would be happy to translate it just for the practice or in trade for simple favors like that. Maybe put up a flier at your local uni? You could also try to find fan-made scanlations of the same titles on the internet, though that could easily be just as difficult as finding a translator. If you want to hire an actual commercial translator, it will be rather expensive--I think I remember seeing something at $40 per page (full, typed page) for French to English once, and Japanese speakers might be far less common than French speakers, and might therefore charge even more.

Q: I need some sort of computer program that can keep track of what happens on a certain computer; our CPA is paid an exorbitant rate to sit around and play flash games on facebook all day because no one can prove that she's using company time and equipment for nonsense. She deletes her browser history and scours the computer every time she leaves her desk. I need something like a keylogger or something that takes screenshots every so often, which can be installed and hidden so that she doesn't know it's there. I'm not really tech-savvy enough to know exactly what it is I need; any suggestions?

Uninstall Flash from that computer? I'm not sure if there are legal keyloggers (there might be), but it's a company computer, you certainly can control, to an extent, what programs run on it. Is the computer hooked up to an intranet?

This might be something you want to talk to someone in the IT field about so they can set your company computers up properly.

Oh if only I could have the computer guy block facebook or something! See, the thing is, since I've never been able to prove what she's doing, the boss (who conveniently is my father and so doesn't have to listen to a word I say--and gosh is he smug and satisfied about that fact) doesn't believe that it's 'worth it' to have the network guy come out and block anything or change any settings. I would have to prove what she's doing before I'm allowed to talk to an IT guy about ways to stop it. o.O

Maybe I can ask an independent guy who doesn't work for my father to come in and either advise me or set things up.

Edited by Sadako

Just from a network security standpoint, allowing Facebook on a company intranet might be worth investigating. A lot of people pick up viruses and malware from there. It might be worth taking that to your boss.

You know, just to keep your work computers safe ; )

Can you see her computer screen walking by or no?

A quick non-technical fix would be to hide a surveillance camera behind where she sits. However, that may or may not be legal or ethical.

Edited by kiffren