RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Does anyone know of any good, free anti-virus systems? I currently have Norton's, but it is about to expire, and I wanted to know if there were any free programs that could do the same job. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know of any good, free anti-virus systems? I currently have Norton's, but it is about to expire, and I wanted to know if there were any free programs that could do the same job. Thanks in advance.

Microsoft Security Essentials works well for me at least. That's the only free antivirus (that's not a trial version) that I can think of. :I

Edited by Ali'i Makani Pahili

I've heard good things about http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage Since it doesn't have a firewall, look for one, but "Kill Viruses Dead" along with a firewall is pretty much what a careful PC user needs. The rest seems a tad intrusive.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zo...ee-firewall.htm is a firewall I have heard good things about.

Both together will give you antivirus + firewall - Norton being a grabby, intrusive resource hog. One of the things that finally pushed me into dumping Windows forever and ever for Linux was having Norton help turn my install into a touchy, crashy, slow slog.

Edited by Princess Artemis

I hope I'm asking this in the right place...

I use a mac. I went to upgrade my java the other day because megavideo wouldn't play for me and told me I had to. And I obviously can't live without megavideo... tongue.gif And ever since I updated java, I haven't been able to use youtube in firefox. Every time I go to youtube, it freezes my browser for a moment and then it quits.

It's getting really frustrating! Firefox is my default browser and I don't want to have to permanently swap. I've exhausted all possibilities googling this and everything I try doesn't seem to work.

So has anyone else had an issue like this or have any idea how I could fix it? :/ And sorry if this is the wrong place to ask!

Thanks for replying, Princess Artemis. smile.gif

I tried disabling java through add ons > plugins > disable java. That didn't help and youtube still ended up crashing. I also tried using firefox in safe mode like you suggested, but the result is the same. sad.gif

I get the same result when I go on other websites that show videos (megavideo, putlocker, etc.) but the issue is only in firefox, other browsers work just fine.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? This is getting really frustrating. *pulls hair out*

Is there a way to set up regular backups of your computer's contents that will overwrite the previous backup, instead of trying to back your stuff up multiple times on the same external hard drive?

Thanks for replying, Princess Artemis. smile.gif

I tried disabling java through add ons > plugins > disable java. That didn't help and youtube still ended up crashing. I also tried using firefox in safe mode like you suggested, but the result is the same. sad.gif

I get the same result when I go on other websites that show videos (megavideo, putlocker, etc.) but the issue is only in firefox, other browsers work just fine.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? This is getting really frustrating. *pulls hair out*

It's not an issue with Java then. Try disabling Flash?

Kage Sora, it depends on what software you are using to back up your contents. Software that makes images of your hard drive will overwrite.

Kage Sora, it depends on what software you are using to back up your contents. Software that makes images of your hard drive will overwrite.

Alright, thanks. :3

Do you have any suggestions for good ones? (The one that comes on Windows 7 is... Not something I like...)

The one I had been using is Casper from Future Systems. You can find it on the 'net with a little searching. It's pretty straight forward; all it does is image hard drives. It does take a bit of experience to use if you need to back up two drives onto one external, as you'll need to create properly sized partitions. When my boot drive died with Windows on it, I used the image to completely recover from it (with some fancy finagling) without having to reinstall any software, so it does the job.

Is it bad that I turned off my phone, deleted my facebook, and stopped talking to my school friends altogether? I have to go back to school in January, but I just don't want to deal with them...should I, or no?

Alright, I'll check it out. :3

Is it bad that I turned off my phone, deleted my facebook, and stopped talking to my school friends altogether? I have to go back to school in January, but I just don't want to deal with them...should I, or no?

Maybe deleting it altogether was a bit OTT, but certainly it helps to take a break over the holidays and you should be able to say as much without getting into any hot water over it.

Well, I deleted it because it was making me upset about things I don't want/need to think about anymore, and because it was just eating up my time. I'll probably put a new one up sometime in the future, when I'm not so stressed out, but right now I don't need to put up with the petty drama my friends are causing about my ex and yea.

Is there a way to clear all of your history at once in Firefox?

Tools -> Clear Recent History -> Everything (select what you want deleted and press ok)

Yes, but I have thousands of links in my history. Doing it manually will take from now until Christmas. Of 3109. Is there a way to do a mass clear?

If you click the first thing, skip down to the bottom and do a shift+click on the last item, it should select everything.

Under custom settings you can also choose to clear history each time you close firefox, if that would help. You could choose this and close firefox and then even change the setting when you re-open it, if you want. But that may be a trick to get it all cleared this time through. :3

It's not an issue with Java then. Try disabling Flash?

Well youtube doesn't make firefox crash anymore if I've disabled flash, but it also won't play videos because it tells me I need to update my flash... *pulls hair out* Why won't this just work?!

If anyone else has any ideas on why youtube and other video sites might be causing my broswer to crash (and only the one broswer, not the others) then please let me know!

How long will it take for me to get guitar callouses?

If the answer is "more than a few days" how do I make my fingers stop hurting so I can prepare food?

How long will it take for me to get guitar callouses?

If the answer is "more than a few days" how do I make my fingers stop hurting so I can prepare food?

My dad plays guitar, and if he hasn't played for a long time he will put super glue on his finger tips before he plays. I've seen just a thin layer or two work wonders.

anyone have a clue how to get a decent amount of subscribers on youtube..?

guitar thing-> Tylenol?

Post good videos that people like. xd.png A lot of it is just about getting your videos out there and seen so post them places so people can see them and decide if they like them and want to subscribe to you. smile.gif I think it's mainly about putting yourself out there as much as possible. Become part of the community too, subscribe to others and post comments and integrate yourself into the community and that will help too I think.

anyone have a clue how to get a decent amount of subscribers on youtube..?

guitar thing-> Tylenol?

Do whatever you think is fun. Comment around on a lot of videos, fraternize with other youtubers and politely ask them to check your stuff out.

Edited by Lila

If you click the first thing, skip down to the bottom and do a shift+click on the last item, it should select everything.

Under custom settings you can also choose to clear history each time you close firefox, if that would help. You could choose this and close firefox and then even change the setting when you re-open it, if you want. But that may be a trick to get it all cleared this time through. :3

Ah, thank you Sock. I don't really know my way around Firefox that well, 'cause I usually use Safari.