RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

The point of essays like that is to be able to pimp yourself. What are you going to do with the scholarship? Are you a hard worker? Deserving? Determined? Passionate? It's weird, but when writing things like that (scholarship essays, cover letters, etc.) the point is to get cocky. You have to talk your way into the scholarship, into a job, etc. They are looking for people are are confident in their abilities, people who know what they're good at and are willing to work to be the best there is. What is it about you that will show the scholarship people you are all those things? What are your abilities and strengths? Believe in yourself and make the scholarship folks believe in you, too. :3

(If you're still stuck, try looking up examples of scholarship essays or cover letters. Don't steal! But it can give you a good idea of what they're looking for.)

So I have a taxes question. I received my W-2s (one from Oklahoma where I worked until I moved, and the second from Vermont where I currently live). When I was still in Oklahoma, I was a student, so I kept my California residency. So I have 3 different state W-2 forms. How would I do my taxes in this kind of situation?

I live in Kansas City, which is really a metropolis made up of a dozen or more smaller cities on the border of Kansas and Missouri. I live in Missouri and work in Kansas.

You will file a state return for each state. Each return will ask whether you lived there, worked there, or lived and worked there. For the ones you worked in, you will have to pay income tax. For the ones you only lived in, you will pay virtually no tax (unless you own property there or whatever but that's different). E-filing makes this process worlds easier.

Edit: If your legal permanent residence was California the whole time (i.e. you never registered to vote in Oklahoma) and if you didn't have a job in California that whole year, then I believe you would treat Oklahoma as a place where you only worked, and California as a place where you only lived.

Edited by Sadako

Reading, writing, painting, drawing, running, exercise, an art or PE class (the plus is that you get a credit), solving puzzles, a bath, anything else you enjoy doing? Just listing some generic 'relaxing' activities. :3

Ah, I never properly thanked you for your advice, Socky. Decided to get back into reading and making better use of the nearest hot tub. Both have worked wonders. <3

Is anybody here interested in cartoons? Not watching, but the more complex parts of 'em?

I don't know where I can find books on psychoanalysis of cartoon characters, psychology of different characters, society issues presented in animated cartoons (like homosexuality, death, insanity, political parodies/references, etc.), history of animated cartoons (belonging to any country or language), stuff like that.

I'm working on a paper in which I have to talk about these types of things and I don't know what to start with (Google isn't amazingly helpful).

Or have you watched documentaries about them? Testimonials of the writers/cartoonist that produce them? What they had in mind and what were they trying to underline when they came up with the stories/plots?

Anything would do, really. ;-;

Not to state the obvious, but have you tried wikipedia?

While it usually can't be used as a source, it can provide links to lots of useful sources.

I don't know if I've just looked in the wrong places for information on this, but is being unable to maintain weight and having it fluctuate often not good for you? I mean, I assume it's not, but are there certain issues it can cause?

Edited by Alpha Gryph

I don't know if I've just looked in the wrong places for information on this, but is being unable to maintain weight and having it fluctuate often not good for you? I mean, I assume it's not, but are there certain issues it can cause?

Well, everybody's weight fluctuates. The question is how much are you fluctuating? If you have any worries, the best thing to do is speak to your doctor. They have your medical history and will know the correct questions to ask about your diet and sleep and exercise and etc. ^^

Oh if only I could have the computer guy block facebook or something!

go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

open it in something like notepad

and add the line

127.0.0.1 facebook.com (or address of any other site to block)

wink.gif

(If they are pc-savvy they might try to open it up and fix it but just don't let thier pc access windows directory)

Sorry if I'm not clear with phrasing (tired)

Q: I need some sort of computer program that can keep track of what happens on a certain computer; our CPA is paid an exorbitant rate to sit around and play flash games on facebook all day because no one can prove that she's using company time and equipment for nonsense. She deletes her browser history and scours the computer every time she leaves her desk. I need something like a keylogger or something that takes screenshots every so often, which can be installed and hidden so that she doesn't know it's there. I'm not really tech-savvy enough to know exactly what it is I need; any suggestions?

A keylogger will do it. Not all take screenshots but it WILL retain everything she has typed. (including passwords, banking details and stuff as well... very intrusive but if she's effectively asked for this...)

Here are some on a reliable download site.

Is anybody here interested in cartoons? Not watching, but the more complex parts of 'em?

I don't know where I can find books on psychoanalysis of cartoon characters, psychology of different characters, society issues presented in animated cartoons (like homosexuality, death, insanity, political parodies/references, etc.), history of animated cartoons (belonging to any country or language), stuff like that.

I'm working on a paper in which I have to talk about these types of things and I don't know what to start with (Google isn't amazingly helpful).

Or have you watched documentaries about them? Testimonials of the writers/cartoonist that produce them? What they had in mind and what were they trying to underline when they came up with the stories/plots?

Anything would do, really. ;-;

Actually, I wrote a paper on animation censorship and I found the book "Forbidden Animation" by Karl F. Cohen extremely helpful and a good read. It will explore some of the things you are looking for plus a little history.

I have a question for the spriters: I need a program I can recolor a sprite easily in. I have point (of course), Pain too sai, Graphic's Gale (which has a color replacer tool but I can't figure out how to use it) and I also have PS elements but I'd have to re install in...which I don't really want to do.

GIMP has a few options for that. I'm not talented enough to make it look good when I do it, but you may find that easier. x3

Here is the tutorial I used to figure them out, if you want to look and see if they'd be useful before trying it out.

GIMP has a few options for that. I'm not talented enough to make it look good when I do it, but you may find that easier. x3

Here is the tutorial I used to figure them out, if you want to look and see if they'd be useful before trying it out.

This is the method Corteo showed me and I forgot how to use it...I at least have this again, thanks for the link.

I wonder if anyone here is good at destructive and constructive interference of waves? I've been trying to teach myself it, but none of my books or websites are helping me with this one question. Its driving me up the wall.

We have two speakers seperated by 1.25 m. They're both driven by the same oscillator at 800hz. Where will relative minimas occur?

I know that a maximum will occur at the halfway point, 0.625 meters. I know every node will a multiple of half lambda away from this, and that every anti-node a multiple of 1/4 lambda. However, whenever I try to apply it, I don't get values anywhere close to the answers.

Said answers are distances of 0.089m, 0.303m, 0.518m, 0.732m, 0.907m and 1.16m.

(If we take the speed of sound to be 343 m/h, then we get a lambda of 0.429. )

Anyone know how to remedy coughs? I can't stop. D:

Cough syrup? D: Cough drops?

What kind of cough is it- dry, phlemy?

And for my own question; what would be a good over the counter medication to take for regulating emotions? I have problems with emotional outbursts sometimes and they can get pretty severe (extreme sobbing/ screaming at everyone) and out of control. It doesn't happen all the time, but I find myself with some drastic mood changes with every couple days and was hoping there was something out there that might be a good emotional stabilizer or just an every-day leveler.

Judging from your post in TLQ, I'd suggest a humidifier. It's helped me some in the past. /coughing, I don't think it will do much in regulating emotions

Cough syrup? D: Cough drops?

What kind of cough is it- dry, phlemy?

And for my own question; what would be a good over the counter medication to take for regulating emotions? I have problems with emotional outbursts sometimes and they can get pretty severe (extreme sobbing/ screaming at everyone) and out of control. It doesn't happen all the time, but I find myself with some drastic mood changes with every couple days and was hoping there was something out there that might be a good emotional stabilizer or just an every-day leveler.

Are you on the pill? That actualy does work as an emotional stabaliser. As far as I'm aware, though, nothing over-the-counter for it.

Are you on the pill? That actualy does work as an emotional stabaliser. As far as I'm aware, though, nothing over-the-counter for it.

No I'm not. And I was told the exact opposite by my mom (registered nurse) and my physician that it makes emotions unstable and mood swings worse, which is exactly why I'm not allowed to go on it. u_u

Anyone know how to remedy coughs? I can't stop. D:

Improbably - slowly sucking VERY DARK chocolate squares.

No I did not make that up ! My doctor told me - she said it was better for you than most cough syrups.

No I'm not. And I was told the exact opposite by my mom (registered nurse) and my physician that it makes emotions unstable and mood swings worse, which is exactly why I'm not allowed to go on it. u_u

I've always found it stabalises mine out. *shrugs* That's personal experience though. There's also different types of pill, so it may be worth looking at the options and talking them through with your Mum.

Tried both of those. It's pretty phlemy. I've had bronchitis for the past few days, if that helps any...

My favorite hot drink for managing phlegm coughing is home made ginger tea:

grated fresh ginger root in cup of hot water, add honey to taste. Per my medical doc, fresh ginger tea thins phlegm. If you have some anise root you can use that with the fresh ginger in the tea.

Drink plenty of clear liquids that do not contain pectin - many fruit juices contain pectin. Stay away from milk and milk products as they will add to phlegm production.

Homemade chicken noodle soup is also very soothing biggrin.gif

Definitely going to try this one! I love dark chocolate...

I do mean the - like - 70% chocolate solids ones... Lindt and people. Just so you know smile.gif Good luck.

iTunes is being difficult. >.>

I bought a song earlier today. It sounds fine, until it gets to about a minute and a half, where, whatever I'm using to listen to it, the sound stops. I can't find any way to re-download the song. Anyone know how?

And I also bought two TV episodes last night. They take forever downloading, and periodically they'll stop downloading and go back a few MB, saying something like "iTunes could not download 'insert name here'. An unknown error occurred. (50-)" Is there a way to fix this?