RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Western Digital My Book drives may have improved since I had one, but the one I had was awful. I have a Samsung external which is very nice.

What you look for may depend on what you plan to do with it. If you want to back up your internal drives regularly, get one with a fast USB and make sure its large enough, such as a 200 GB for a 200 GB internal, so you can just make an image of the drive.

does anyone other than me have braces? and has anyone else's dentist leid about how long they would have braces? mine told me 6 months. ive had them for 2 and a half years. i mean, i dont think they LIED, but do dentists often mis-caculate??

Western Digital My Book drives may have improved since I had one, but the one I had was awful.  I have a Samsung external which is very nice.

What you look for may depend on what you plan to do with it.  If you want to back up your internal drives regularly, get one with a fast USB and make sure its large enough, such as a 200 GB for a 200 GB internal, so you can just make an image of the drive.

Well, I mostly want to get one to store personal things in, such as photos, artwork, study/work papers, as well as music/videos and such.

Samsung sounds good.

Meanwhile, I got another computer question - in case someone here is an Ubuntu user (I don't know if War is still around?), how safe you'd wager it for me to upgrade from 10.04 Lucid Lynx to 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot on my current laptop? Or should I rather wait for the new Long Term Support release 12.04 that's coming out in April?

The previous time I upgraded was from 8.04 LTS release straight to 10.04 (these versions are two years apart, Ubuntu makes new releases twice a year), and things worked out relatively well - well, I had to reinstall Skype, but other than that, I didn't have trouble. Should I repeat such a jump or should I consider to upgrading to a in-between version before moving on to a newer one?

I am aware that I should probably ask this on an Ubuntu forum, but heh. :'D

Edited by lightbird

A few months ago I dropped Windows in favor of Linux and settled on Kubuntu. Computer hardware issues have prevented me from getting in too deep with it, but I didn't have much issue moving from Natty to Oneiric, for what it's worth. If you plan to move to 12.04 anyway, it might be less hassle to upgrade only once.

Edited by Princess Artemis

does anyone other than me have braces? and has anyone else's dentist leid about how long they would have braces? mine told me 6 months. ive had them for 2 and a half years. i mean, i dont think they LIED, but do dentists often mis-caculate??

Mine "miscalculated" by a few months (said less time than he made me wear them), then tried to make me wear a retainer for over 3 years. I finally had enough of the dratted retainer and, since I was over 18, had him remove it. If you're over 18, you can try and demand they remove the braces, if not, then try and get your parents to request it. You will still have to wear a retainer for a while, but it's better than braces.

I used to have braces and the dentist( orthodontist in my case) said arount 1 1/2-2 years...I had mine on for almost 3 and I took reasonably good care of my teeth with the braces on. Didn't help that I was way overdue for an adjustment for a period of time because we moved to another city close to the appointment date and had to find an orthodontist near the new house who didn't want a fortune to finish a half-finished job.

The number they give you is usually an estimate. Mine (given by my orthodontist) was a weak two years which turned into five or six. In my case, the problem is that I actually need jaw surgery and braces weren't able to fix the underlying problem, just some of the effects. If you're worried, talk to your dentist/orthodontist. :3

I had several friends who had braces for six months to two years and they were right on time.

Orthodontists may mis-calculate because, like all parts of medicine, you can't predict with 100% accuracy how treatment will go.

Lol. Y'know the housecarls are of various genders, so if you're playing your guy straight then why not just move to somewhere you have a male housecarl?

Oh, I never play anything straight, darling. wink.gif

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are mid-level expensive, good quality, and not prone to breaking in a month after daily use in wind, rain, snow, etc. Anyone have suggestions?

I'm having a issue with it and literally have no clue where to ask this. I been using tumblr and only today was having a issue with it. Some people post audio on there that uses flash and today it says I need flash 9-10 to use it. I got Flash 10 up to the lastest version. I've checked it and others have Adobe 11 but I'm still on 10. (Yes, I did check recently for the latest. Still gives me the one I have.) I have Firefox 3.6.25. Can anyone help with this? Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but there isn't any tumblr thread.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are mid-level expensive, good quality, and not prone to breaking in a month after daily use in wind, rain, snow, etc. Anyone have suggestions?

I have a pair of philips earphones that came with a kind of wrap around case that you can hook on your belt. My mom got them for 10-15 bucks a few Christmases ago and they have lasted really well. I used to go through earphones in less than a year and these have lasted me a few. Not sure if their headphones are as good, though.

(I'm considering murdering her and trying to remarry.) I could move her to another town, but I don't want a wife and a housecarl in the same house, it feels a little like keeping a mistress across the hall from one's wife.

...ah, the delight of interpersonal drama with NPCs.

I just drag my wife (Aela) with me everywhere. It leads to some awkward situations where she dies and I have to reload a previous save, however I don't have to worry about her and my housecarl when I'm not there.

I have some Audio-Technica ATH-M30s I picked up about a month ago. $60 for a good set of circum-aural that wasn't a headset was a good price for me, and the quality is nice. You get a good solid 11 feet of cord (that you won't censorkip.gif up because it's well-insluated), the ear cups flip/rotate such that you can flip them off your ear - they're DJ/studio headphones. Good sound, and I wear them around campus using them for my mp3 player/computer. Let's just say that listening to dubstep in these makes me wonder why I hadn't had a good set before. They're not active noise canceling, but they're good headphones and come with a 1/4 adapter, if you're interested in using them with an amp or other hardware that has a 1/4 output rather than the standard headphone jack. :3

I wouldn't abuse them, but they should hold up fairly well.

My other set of headphones is really a gaming headset that's a 5.1 surround with a mic, so I couldn't really use those as normal headphones for a laptop/mp3 player without a buncha extra cords hanging around.

Princess: Thank You....

My 2nd Question: Now lets say i want a question asked but I want it the form of a poll, but I do, then SockPuuppet will redirect me here like last time, so how do I go about doing that, add a Poll within here? Just curious as I want to ask a question and have it be a poll....

B/c Polls are quick and effortless for people and help others out and etc and then I got 2 replies bit 10 votes, hence why it helps people out....It helped me out, but told me next time to come here even though you can't post a Poll and I wanted it to be a Poll...

If I don't go that way, should I put in the Suggestions and Requests a Poll Reply? So that when I have a question that has multiple choices answered that needs a poll, what should I do?

Edited by White-Sword-Master

My 2nd Question: Now lets say i want a question asked but I want it the form of a poll, but I do, then SockPuuppet will redirect me here like last time, so how do I go about doing that, add a Poll within here? Just curious as I want to ask a question and have it be a poll....

B/c Polls are quick and effortless for people and help others out and etc and then I got 2 replies bit 10 votes, hence why it helps people out....It helped me out, but told me next time to come here even though you can't post a Poll and I wanted it to be a Poll...

If I don't go that way, should I put in the Suggestions and Requests a Poll Reply? So that when I have a question that has multiple choices answered that needs a poll, what should I do?

I don't know if the help forum permits it, but I believe you can edit your original post and click "add poll" somewhere.

What possible HELP question needs a poll ? "Do you want help with this" - well, anyone who does will want the answer, not to just say "yes/no/meh". unsure.gif

Help is for asking for help, not opinions.

I'd think - if it is a QUESTION about DC (and not a help thing) you could post it in site discussion. There are several polls there.

Google docs form lets you take polls, if you're just looking for votes rather than help/opinions.

Is there a controllable, reliable keylogger software that you can voluntarily install yourself on a computer you own, in order to spy on, say, an employee who is wasting time on their work computer?

Does anyone here have any advice on some good things I could do to lower stress levels? I'm quite confined to my college campus during the week, so they'd have to be things I wouldn't wander off too far to do, unless I did them on the weekends, I guess.

I just have a lot of trouble controlling my anxiety. And I stress so much sometimes that it's caused me some pretty bad health problems. It's all internal stress and anxiety though. If you asked anyone who knew me, they'd say I was always laid back. :B

Also, would therapy/medication be good for this kind of thing? I've been skeptical of going to therapy, but if it would help relieve me of some of this...

Does anyone here have any advice on some good things I could do to lower stress levels? I'm quite confined to my college campus during the week, so they'd have to be things I wouldn't wander off too far to do, unless I did them on the weekends, I guess.

Reading, writing, painting, drawing, running, exercise, an art or PE class (the plus is that you get a credit), solving puzzles, a bath, anything else you enjoy doing? Just listing some generic 'relaxing' activities. :3

Question for those who believe in oblivion after death:

Why do you live? If, upon death, every pain or pleasure you've experienced in life doesn't matter... Why not just cut it short and end it sooner? Even if you hurt others, upon their death that pain won't matter anymore, either.

I'm really wondering, because I have a friend who just... That's what he feels, he doesn't see the point in living if it doesn't matter in the end anyway, and I'm trying to figure out how to help him. (My own idea of "Well, once I'm dead I won't get to enjoy all the awesome parts of life so I'd better enjoy them now" doesn't help him)

Question for those who believe in oblivion after death:

Why do you live? If, upon death, every pain or pleasure you've experienced in life doesn't matter... Why not just cut it short and end it sooner? Even if you hurt others, upon their death that pain won't matter anymore, either.

I'm really wondering, because I have a friend who just... That's what he feels, he doesn't see the point in living if it doesn't matter in the end anyway, and I'm trying to figure out how to help him. (My own idea of "Well, once I'm dead I won't get to enjoy all the awesome parts of life so I'd better enjoy them now" doesn't help him)

I believe in nothing after death.

I live because to me, I'm not dead and so the afterwards doesn't mean anything to me. I'm alive now, I have people and interests I care about and while suicide has been tempting more than once I just keep going on.

I accept that in the great big scheme of things/long term, my life probably won't matter. Because I feel that way, I'd like to focus on helping where I can and enjoying what I can. I'm probably not making any sense, but I guess I could say it's something like I mind my own life and don't worry too much about what I can't control.

/nothelpfulatall