RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

PC games have different quality of graphics. I'm saying that you might have to sacrifice the way the game looks in favor of FPS.

This isn't a question about DC, but it's sort of related to DC. tongue.gif I upgraded to a newer version of firefox but I couldn't snag things from the AP anymore, so I went to "about:config" and changed the "network.http.sendRefererHeader" value from 0 to 2. However, the issue is that whenever I click away from that window, the change doesn't stick and it reverts back to 0 again. I've never had this problem before.

Does anyone know how to fix it? If not, I'll have to just download the older version of firefox again I suppose. But I'd like to be able to fix this and save myself the hassle if I can. biggrin.gif

Whatever quality of game Skyrim is. I don't know much about computer games because I've always been more of a console person, but I'm trying to get into it. So before I can do that, I need a computer that I can actually play them on.

The 600$ one that someone mentioned earlier is worth looking into, I think. I don't need a strictly gaming laptop, just something that can handle it fine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Elder-Scr...-RPG,13821.html shows the recommended specs and bare minimum specs. Without a big, hefty, expensive gaming laptop, you'll likely not be able to meet the recommended specs, and the bare minimum might be tough, though I don't know how hard it would be to do. "Handle it fine" is, of course, a matter of opinion; at minimum recomendations, it will run and be playable.

Well, it depends. I've met the minimum specs before on my old computer and the game had such low framerate I wouldn't consider it playable.

Well, it depends. I've met the minimum specs before on my old computer and the game had such low framerate I wouldn't consider it playable.

Of course, your definition of "playable" makes a difference, the type of game makes a difference, how well one's system is taken care of makes a difference (a system meeting minimum requirements but bogged down by cruft will not run things as well as a freshly installed OS on a clean system), etc., etc., etc.. When I say "it will run and be playable", I mean that, for people with a well functioning system at the minimum requirements, it will run and it will be playable at low settings which some people with better systems would consider unacceptable.

Ugh. Maybe I'll just get it for Xbox. x_x

Hey guys, I have a question.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my lesson in physical science. It's about the index of refraction.

Basically, I'm doing a lab. I take two glasses, one big, one small, and place the small one inside the big. Then I place a wooden pencil in the small glass. I have to observe the following different combinations of water and cooking oil:

-Oil in small glass, oil in large glass.

-Water in small glass, water in large glass.

-Oil in small glass, water in large glass.

- Water in small glass, oil in large glass.

So I did this, and marked down my observations. However, one of the lab questions asks me to order cooking oil, the glass, and water in order from lowest index of refraction to highest and why. I don't know how to determine this with the information I have... In addition, I have to estimate the approximate index of refraction for the oil, water, and glass based off of my lab results. I don't know how to find this either.

Of course, your definition of "playable" makes a difference, the type of game makes a difference, how well one's system is taken care of makes a difference (a system meeting minimum requirements but bogged down by cruft will not run things as well as a freshly installed OS on a clean system), etc., etc., etc.. When I say "it will run and be playable", I mean that, for people with a well functioning system at the minimum requirements, it will run and it will be playable at low settings which some people with better systems would consider unacceptable.

Well, I more so mean that it really was impossible to play, not just by my standards. It was like playing a slideshow, I got something terrible like 5 fps. It was a shooter; you can't play with such serious lag, all the shots completely missed their mark.

I would agree that you should just get a console. Games run better on good PCs, and they tend to look better too, but PC gaming is not really a cheap hobby.

Hey guys, I have a question.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my lesson in physical science. It's about the index of refraction.

Basically, I'm doing a lab. I take two glasses, one big, one small, and place the small one inside the big. Then I place a wooden pencil in the small glass. I have to observe the following different combinations of water and cooking oil:

-Oil in small glass, oil in large glass.

-Water in small glass, water in large glass.

-Oil in small glass, water in large glass.

- Water in small glass, oil in large glass.

So I did this, and marked down my observations. However, one of the lab questions asks me to order cooking oil, the glass, and water in order from lowest index of refraction to highest and why. I don't know how to determine this with the information I have... In addition, I have to estimate the approximate index of refraction for the oil, water, and glass based off of my lab results. I don't know how to find this either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index

Ugh. Maybe I'll just get it for Xbox. x_x

I've got a four year old PC that's running it fine. It's a matter of knowing how to get what you need.

Buying a gaming PC straight up will be expensive. Buying a gaming laptop will be even more so.The thing to do is to build yourself a PC. Put your money into getting a good motherboard, and get everything else at a base level to go with it. You'll find you can upgrade the other parts as you ahve the money available to you. Get it right, and you'll have something that's not only cheaper but better than a store bought PC, and one that may well last you longer too.

Well, I more so mean that it really was impossible to play, not just by my standards. It was like playing a slideshow, I got something terrible like 5 fps. It was a shooter; you can't play with such serious lag, all the shots completely missed their mark.

I would agree that you should just get a console. Games run better on good PCs, and they tend to look better too, but PC gaming is not really a cheap hobby.

And there, the type of game had an effect on things. 5 FPS would be hard to play in most things but for a shooter it would be impossible. Still, that is part of how to determine 'playable'--the type of game.

That your PC met the minimum specs but got 5 FPS in a shooter indicates that something else was wrong; companies don't routinely shoot themselves in the foot by publishing minimum requirements that really are unplayable. Could be the game was Just That Bad though.

Anyhow, I'd agree with Tikindi. If one wants to play on a PC, build a desktop. I don't know how well mine would play Skyrim, but I am confident it would play it, and it's not exactly brand new nor was it very expensive. It's a frankenputer with a pretty good motherboard for 2003. It's still got a 3 1/4 floppy drive in it.

@TDC: The more the pencil appears to be bent, the higher the refractive index. Unfortunately that is about all I know about it. The wiki page does say that the refractive index of air is 1.00 and the refractive index of water is 1.333, meaning that light is... slower by that amount? When it goes through water? So, if I'm understanding correctly, if the pencil appears to be twice as bent in the oil as in the water, then the refractive index of the oil would be about 1.666?

Question: Can any of you point me in the direction of a high-quality chest-binder device thingy? For strapping down girlchests in boycostumes? ninja.gif

@TDC: The more the pencil appears to be bent, the higher the refractive index. Unfortunately that is about all I know about it. The wiki page does say that the refractive index of air is 1.00 and the refractive index of water is 1.333, meaning that light is... slower by that amount? When it goes through water? So, if I'm understanding correctly, if the pencil appears to be twice as bent in the oil as in the water, then the refractive index of the oil would be about 1.666?

Question: Can any of you point me in the direction of a high-quality chest-binder device thingy? For strapping down girlchests in boycostumes? ninja.gif

I know of girls that have used ace bandages and just wound them pretty tightly. Never EVER use duct tape, especially on bare skin. I've heard horror stories of people who have done that. >.<

Always be careful with wrapping, though. If you wrap too tightly, you can restrict your breathing or even break ribs. I suggest you do some more reading, like on cosplay websites.

I know of girls that have used ace bandages and just wound them pretty tightly. Never EVER use duct tape, especially on bare skin. I've heard horror stories of people who have done that. >.<

Always be careful with wrapping, though. If you wrap too tightly, you can restrict your breathing or even break ribs. I suggest you do some more reading, like on cosplay websites.

*shudders* If you think you've heard bad stories about people using duct tape I *know* I've heard worse about using Ace bandages. At least duct tape will only ruin your skin, Ace bandages have been known to break ribs.

If you can find it Masking Tape works pretty well. Same theory as duct tape, but it's not half as sticky because it's meant for painted walls.

Further reading is a good plan, though you'll probably get better advice from trans websites than you will cosplay ones.

Can I suggest not using tape straight onto skin where possible? Regardless of kind, tape can cause nasty injuries galore.

Edited by Kestra15

Your best bet may be to just wear a sports bra (one of the very high impact ones for runners) as these tend to flatten chests a bit anyway and stop a lot of the movement. It would be the best option IMO and there is minimal chance for injury from something designed to support the breasts

Hm, I've been warned against tape and bandages. A sports bra doesn't quite do it with my frame. I know there's a specific garment for that, but I'm not totally sure what it's called or the best way to find out about it--I thought someone here might happen to know offhand.

Thanks for the tip TikindiDragon, I'll do some google-fu. wink.gif

@ Sadako

I have a good link for ya. Worked great for a friend of mine when she dressed up as male for Halloween.

Linky

Edited by Stripey

is skyrim that different to oblivion i only just finished it and was thinknig of getting skyrim but if it isnt that much different i wont bother

is skyrim that different to oblivion i only just finished it and was thinknig of getting skyrim but if it isnt that much different i wont bother

It's much different, and much better. Get Skyrim, for the love of all video games that become classics.

@ Sadako

I have a good link for ya. Worked great for a friend of mine when she dressed up as male for Halloween.

Linky

Cool, that's exactly what I need--thank you! smile.gif