RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

No I'm not. And I was told the exact opposite by my mom (registered nurse) and my physician that it makes emotions unstable and mood swings worse, which is exactly why I'm not allowed to go on it. u_u

My girlfriend (pharmacist) says it depends on the person - certainly Amerylis has had no mood swings at all and is in fact easier to deal with on some levels. I know plenty of horror stories of women on wild mood swings on the Pill, but also plenty of examples of women who are emotionally more stable.

In short? Try it and find out.

This is something I've wondered about for a while.

It happens to a ton of people.

Why is it that you sometimes feel like there's something evil chasing you when you go up the stairs? It never seems to happen when you go down the stairs, just when you go up them.

Is there an actual reason for this sensation and why so many people experience it? All I can find when I google are like Facebook groups for people who experience it. I'd just really like to know the reason it happens.

I mean, I've seen people say it's because when you turn off the light behind you it gets dark and then there's that sort of fear of what the dark hides, but it even happens when you go upstairs and the upstairs is just as dark as, if not darker than, the downstairs.

Primal fears most likely. Fear of the dark, fear of not knowing what is behind you, and most likely because you are more likely to run away from something by running uphill than downhill. If you hold the high ground you have a defendable position and it's very unlikely something is going to sneak up on you, so if you are being chased you are more likely to seek high ground in order to have that advantage - thus when you go uphill you are more scared because you are more likely to be chased. Running downstairs, in comparison, gives you more strength and determination because you are rushing down to meet a challenge, not fleeing one.

I've been having these troubles lately:

1. Sometimes I can't go back- the little 'thinking' icon will display at the top of the tab, but I can leave it for upwards of half an hour and nothing would have happened. If I'd followed a link out of a website, I have to go to the History page to get back to it. Oddly, sometimes only one tab will be not working while the others go back fine; there doesn't seem to be a connection between which tab along it is or how many I have open. Understandably, this makes TvTropes a nightmare.

2. Items on the 'See Back History' seem to be multiplying; for example, if I went from Unapproved Roleplays to General Discussion to the Abortion topic, each stage would be shown twice or more in the Back History- just the little drop-down that displays when I hold down the Back button, not the separate History page. One topic that only had one page was displayed three times in quick succession, even though I'd only visited it once and not refreshed the page. Perhaps this is connected with my difficulty in going back.

3. When I'm mass-clicking on GPX+, sometimes some of the tabs will just be blank and say 'about: Blank', making me have to close them down manually.

So, is this Chrome and what simple things can I do about it- I'm not very good at 'net stuff- or is the fault of my connection?

I'm working on of my roleplaying characters. Her species is somewhat similar to 'Monster Hunt; by Rory Storm' version of the chupacabra, but a lot bigger. How much should an eight foot tall monster weigh?

Ruins, that sounds like a software issue. Not sure what kind. Perhaps try reinstalling Chrome?

Will I loose all my bookmarks and recommendations? I've got some stuff I want to keep- like hard-to-find blogs and a University housing website I have bookmarked- so reinstalling's kinda a worst case scenario...

You should be able to export them, which should just save them as a file. Then you can import them to re-downloaded browser. :3

You should be able to export them, which should just save them as a file. Then you can import them to re-downloaded browser. :3

Okay, thanks! smile.gif

I'm working on of my roleplaying characters. Her species is somewhat similar to 'Monster Hunt; by Rory Storm' version of the chupacabra, but a lot bigger. How much should an eight foot tall monster weigh?

Depends entirely on body build.

If you look at existing animals, like below, you could get some idea of what you want.

Forest elephants can get up to 8ft at the shoulder and can weigh 1,760 - 6,000 pounds

The largest horse (that I could find record on) stood just over 7ft tall and weighed 3,360 pounds.

Female giraffes average about 9ft at shoulder, and weigh about 1,874 pounds

I hope that helps some.

Depends entirely on body build.

If you look at existing animals, like below, you could get some idea of what you want.

Forest elephants can get up to 8ft at the shoulder and can weigh 1,760 - 6,000 pounds

The largest horse (that I could find record on) stood just over 7ft tall and weighed 3,360 pounds.

Female giraffes average about 9ft at shoulder, and weigh about 1,874 pounds

I hope that helps some.

Ah, 1,874 pounds. Thank you.

Okay guys, phone question.

I have no trouble sending or receiving text messages, but when I try to attach anything - a picture, a sound file, anything - the message won't send. This happens with receiving picture messages as well. When I turned off auto-retrieve it didn't fix it, just replace the infinite "downloading" message with a button that, when I press it, tells me the same thing, along with "Unable to download, try again later."

I have a Samsung Dart.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

There's Original Works under Multimedia.

How can I get my roommate to give me some alone time? It seems like she's always in the room, and I'm tired of feeling like I'm always being watched. Nothing rude, please. I do get along with her, I just need privacy.

Have you tried just talking to her about it and asking her? Just say you'd really appreciate having a night to yourself. Perhaps there's a friend she can hang out with one night or something.

I'm really nervous about that though, since she has every right to be in here as I do. But I guess talking would be the best way to do it. Darn, I was hoping I could get around that. xd.png

How in the world do I go about asking a college if they'll give me a fee waiver for their application? I desperately need it due to my financial situation, but I don't know what to say. I have a bad way with words, and tend to stumble over my tongue a little, not to mention make a moron of myself in other various ways--and that's in PERSON. Not to mention I have a distaste for phones...

How in the world do I go about asking a college if they'll give me a fee waiver for their application? I desperately need it due to my financial situation, but I don't know what to say. I have a bad way with words, and tend to stumble over my tongue a little, not to mention make a moron of myself in other various ways--and that's in PERSON. Not to mention I have a distaste for phones...

Just...say that? Except without the 'desperate' part? And the moron part?

Worst they can do to you is say no, so you've really got nothing to lose.

Edited by Princess Artemis

So it's a phone call?

Write down notes on what you want to say and use them as a reference. You can even wite out everything you want to say, if that makes you feel better.

Any good ways to fall asleep without resorting to medication? I hate using meds if I don't have to...

Because I pretty much, unless I'm at the sleep deprivation point of collapse, or sick, cannot fall asleep until at LEAST 2 AM no matter what time I go to bed, if not more like 3 or 4.

If I could just fall asleep, then I think it'd be okay... (not that the quality of my sleep is great, but if I could just GET to sleep...)

Or would some kind of sleep aid probably be my best bet?

I've seen some good suggestions in this topic: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=133941 from music, a calmer computer screen (flux), warm milk, and more. Good luck. <3

I'm really nervous about that though, since she has every right to be in here as I do. But I guess talking would be the best way to do it. Darn, I was hoping I could get around that. xd.png

I figured, lol. In that case, may I suggest learning subliminal messaging as an alternative? =p

Thanks, I'll try looking there. :3

Simple question:

How do Biologists remember the nomenclature of the species they're discussing? How do you remember words like Onychophora, Peripatidae, and Peripatopsidae? How do you remember names of species when their names are things like Euperipatoides kanangrensis ?

I'm going to guess practice, memorization, need, and being around it/having it said enough. As a geologist, I would kind of relate that to the geologic timescale or being able to identify all the minerals in a rock to be able to name the rock. Geologic timescale - it's just something we have to learn, so we do. Teachers mention eras and such in classes and you better know what time period that is (or vice versa). Classifying rocks and minerals - you know a bunch of small things and practice being able to put them together. Or you know the big thing and put together the small things from there. (The rock is mafic, it probably has biotite, amphibole, pyroxene, etc. Or, I see quartz, plag, kspar, the rock must be felsic, maybe a quartzite.) I'm guessing biological names are kind of the same. There are probably group names they've memorized and perhaps know the roots of what words mean. (Like people studying for spelling bees will learn common roots, suffixes, prefixes, etc., so that they can actually deduce how to spell the word from the definition or root or etc.)