joiner123

Battling

Oh gawd no.

I love DC and my dragons too much.

To pit two dragons against each other on a collectable site seems unruly to me.

Imagine a Pymgmy against an earth dragon...(The one which has the BSA Earthquake, I can't remember the real name right now...)

so random people are randomly changing their mind about the fight thing...

i am now officially thinking this idea is...coolz.

this post makes no sense what-so-ever.

I personally have nothing against this idea. It seems fun, and I would do it. If its optional, the people who "hate" it don't have to do it. It would be for those who want to do it.

I think everyone should just accept that TJ would have the dragons fight if he wanted to and the votes state that most users don't want fighting and users should except that fight is not what this game is made for.

Either that, or TJ would have the dragons fight if he had the time or energy to devote to coding a battle system, which he doesn't.

Personally, the reason I am in favor of a battle system is to give "unwanted" breeds another way to become "wanted," aside from BSAs and bred-only's (Shallow Water, Geode, Bluna, etc.). For instance, a Green dragon would have pretty high stats, and would probably be picked a lot more often than it is now. It might also add a new dimension to breeding, if you could breed dragons with different stats and get a dragon with "hybridized" stats. This would be so much easier than hybrid dragons themselves, because we wouldn't have to make a jillion new sprites. All it would take is an algorithm and some extra storage space. And perhaps not even that; if a third party hosted the battle site, and has it just read your scroll to find out what dragons you have (like Dragonnnery or Silvi's Lair, or how The DC Fansite used to work), it could calculate your dragon's stats itself, without Dragon Cave having to sacrifice space to a battle system.

If its optional, the people who "hate" it don't have to do it. It would be for those who want to do it.

My thoughts exactly. Really, there is no reason why any user would ever be forced to have his dragons battle other dragons. The addition of a battle system would not detract at all from the game, unless you count having to put up with people who like to use the battle system a detraction.

My thoughts exactly. Really, there is no reason why any user would ever be forced to have his dragons battle other dragons. The addition of a battle system would not detract at all from the game, unless you count having to put up with people who like to use the battle system a detraction.

If certain dragons can be bred for their stats to create dragons with better stats, this would be forcing the people who don't want to participate in battling to participate. The implication would be that you must battle to create the perfect eggs for trading.

If certain dragons can be bred for their stats to create dragons with better stats, this would be forcing the people who don't want to participate in battling to participate.  The implication would be that you must battle to create the perfect eggs for trading.

Why? We don't have battling now, and people trade things all the time. This would just be another thing you could trade for.

EDIT: I'd be like lineages. I, for instance, don't really care whether a Gold is CB or 27th gen. If I want a Gold, I want a Gold. If the system I described were introduced, some user wouldn't care whether a Gold is bred for high defense or not, but still might care whether or not it's CB. (In fact, the two would counteract each other (unless Golds started with such awesome stats in the first place that any other dragon in its lineage would detract from its value, but that probably wouldn't happen) because in order to get a Gold with really high stats, it would probably have to have a pretty long lineage.)

Edited by ~!~

No because people wouldn't want any old gold or silver or gold(etc.) no it would have to have great stats too and not only that but each dragon that didn't have good stats would be thrown into the AP and then we would have differen dragons blocking the AP.

Well heres how I concieve the idea of breeds being effected by their breeding.

Say for instance black dragons get a bonus of "natural born fighter" which increases say, their damage, their offspring could inherit this even if their not a black dragon. Of course, a black dragon they'll inherit this (perhaps it x2 over?), but if not they can stillhope through breeding.

Its the basics of it in my opinion... As the generations go by, the chances of extra bonuses mount up, so a CB would be vauable for breeding purposes of adding new stats to a dragon, in short even interbred dragons would benefit from this as it increases the chance of wanted abilities being in there. The result? All dragons will have a value if even for further breeding to make stronger dragons.

Overall stats of a dragon breed can remain the same for all dragons, so the difference would be the bonuses they inherited/have. Bonuses details then can change if balancing is needed without having to readjust every dragon out on the system.

I'm writing this on sleep need so it likely makes no sense.

Is someone still working on this anyway?

If certain dragons can be bred for their stats to create dragons with better stats, this would be forcing the people who don't want to participate in battling to participate. The implication would be that you must battle to create the perfect eggs for trading.

This exact same argument can be applied to lineages and breeding. Some people are willing to devote the time to that. Some people don't want to go through all the hassle of breeding their dragons in specific ways to make more desireable eggs, but would have to if they want 'special' eggs to trade. Why are they being forced to participate in that aspect of the game?

No because people wouldn't want any old gold or silver or gold(etc.) no it would have to have great stats too and not only that but each dragon that didn't have good stats would be thrown into the AP and then we would have differen dragons blocking the AP.

When it's your first metallic, of course people don't care what it is. It's the first one you have, and you are going to keep it. You can't tell me someone would drop their first Gold just because it doesn't have a nice linage or great stats. I will not believe that carp. ^-^ People would only get picky after their first few, and since they are hard enough to come by for most of the community, that would take quite awhile.

People play this game for their own reasons. They will collect whatever they want to collect. CBs, Lineaged, Inbred, EvenGen, PureGen, this would only add another couple 'categories', CaveStats and BredStats. And as Geobreeder said, each of those would have their own appeal to people, depending on what they wanted. All Dragons would still retain some value with specific people.

Im pretty sure tj said no to this. It would be cool, but im pretty sure the coding would be crazy.

This.. wrong. In so many ways.

1. It's a dead horse, beaten over and over. Guess what? It's not gonna revive.

2. Fighting creatures can fight. I realize that this argument has been pointed out, but, amuse me: Why would dragons have any inclination to fight, if they are happy on their own scrolls?

3. It's wrong for beautiful creatures to fight. So, why should we?

4. I am not/will never let this place turn into Pokemon. It's not a battle site. It's not right.

5. This topic is dead. There is no reason to continue discussions further unless TJ actually implements this idea, and I will not join in until i have had leave of my sense.

TJ made this site equal. If we have stats, guess what :

1. We can say were better than someone with lower stats. A HUGE nono.

2. Someone else could be inclined to give up, and stay with low stats forever, thus, they are look down upon, because their dragon has nothing, or no stats.

Do you realize this is just a no? In every way possible? I can pick apart your reason, and we won't ever have this. So, it's a no overall.

Edited by Ashes The Second

Sometimes, when it comes to long threads like this one, I have to wonder if newer posters even read older posts... *sigh*

Sometimes, when it comes to long threads like this one, I have to wonder if newer posters even read older posts...  *sigh*

Oh, I did. Trust me. I read through. It was shot down. I was explaining why it was not happening.

Just tryin' to show why dead horses arent alive.

Edited by Ashes The Second

Oh, I did. Trust me. I read through. It was shot down. I was explaining why it was not happening.

Just tryin' to show why dead horses arent alive.

Then, you should know that every one of your points has already been fully debated within this thread, and a plausible answer has been found for all of them. TJ even posted, on the very first page, that implementing a system such as this would be possible, as long as a third party developer was willing to do the work. So he is not totally against it either.

In truth, this thread had already turned to working out how the system would work, and there is a coder willing to work on it once all the issues have been ironed out. So, as long as the coder is still on board and as long as people are willing to work out the kinks, yes, this horse is very much alive wink.gif

If by "beaten" you mean people constantly saying "No, I hate this, get it away from me," then yes. If by "beaten" you mean that people have actually given good reasons for why this would detract more from the site than it would add, and have won over most of the people who disagree with them, or have managed to cite an actual rule or TJ quote saying it can't possibly happen, then no, I think you are mistaken.

2. Fighting creatures can fight. I realize that this argument has been pointed out, but, amuse me: Why would dragons have any inclination to fight, if they are happy on their own scrolls?

Why do humans fight, if they are happy in their houses? Why do we fence, wrestle, box, or even play football for crying out loud? Why are martial arts so popular as extracurricular activities? Sure, not everyone's into that sort of thing, and naturally neither is every dragon. Not every user will use this feature if it is implemented, and nobody will force anyone to use it.

3. It's wrong for beautiful creatures to fight.  So, why should we?

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "it's wrong for intelligent creatures to fight." Beautiful creatures fight all the time in nature, like lions, for example. It's wrong for intelligent creatures, like humans and dragons, to fight each other in anger, or so one dragon can get another out of the way, but there's nothing wrong with physical combat just for the sport of it, is there?

4. I am not/will never let this place turn into Pokemon. It's not a battle site. It's not right.

There are tons and tons of games in the world that involve creatures fighting each other. One of them is Pokemon. Pokemon may be the best such game, but it was certainly not the first, nor will it be the last. Pokemon is a many-faceted game, and although its basis is in combat between Pokemon, even the oldest, most basic Pokemon games are about much more than just fighting. Certainly, if a battle system were to be added to Dragon Cave, it would take absolutely nothing away from the current style of gameplay. Dragon Cave would still be about collecting dragons, it would still be about breeding, it would still be about roleplaying. Those are all different reasons why people play the game, and they would not be touched in any way by adding a battle system. Such a system would interact only with itself. The only change a user who wished not to use the battle system would encounter would be the change in userbase, and different discussion topics in Site Discussion.

5. This topic is dead. There is no reason to continue discussions further unless TJ actually implements this idea, and I will not join in until i have had leave of my sense.

This topic has people posting in it actively, therefore it is not dead. Sure, it was necroed, but now it's alive again. And obviously there is reason to discuss it further, because there's such vehement disagreement over the idea. I hope I've been sensible enough.

TJ made this site equal. If we have stats, guess what:

Can't we say we're better than someone with fewer dragons? With fewer rares? With fewer limited editions? Can't I say I'm better than someone without a leetle tree because I have one? Sure I can. Doesn't mean I will, and it doesn't make it right. There will always be a bad reason for one guy to say he's better than the next guy. Adding another facet to a game won't change that.

2. Someone else could be inclined to give up, and stay with low stats forever, thus, they are look down upon, because their dragon has nothing, or no stats.

So? So what? I don't breed for lineages, but nobody looks down on me, do they? I quit breeding for alts a long time ago because I don't really care for them. I've got as many as I want, and don't need any more. Nobody's looking down on me, are they? This wouldn't be like UniCreatures, where you have to train your dragon to max stats to get an "achievement," and you need achievements to get into new areas... no. That's UC, and it's lame. If battling were to be implemented in DC, it would have no bearing whatsoever on any other aspect of the game.

I can just imagine, if breeding were proposed today, with this userbase. Everyone would be griping and moaning about how bred dragons would be more or less valuable than caveborn dragons, especially if dragons like alts, hybrids and even colored stripeds were proposed. People being forced to breed to get certain dragons? Unthinkable! Or, what if freezing were suggested today? I can see it now, "Keeping a dragon in the hatchling stage forever! How cruel! This can never happen!"

A battle system would be just another feature. I would even be opposed to a universal ranking page. You'd just have your very own stats, maybe nothing fancier than a win/loss record, at the top of your scroll. And, naturally, you could hide this if you don't want to look at it. Or, even better, everything related to battle is hosted on a completely separate site (like how hatcheries work). That way, users who dislike or don't care about the battle system would never have to even see it. The only time they would be reminded of its existence is if people discuss it on the forums. (And even then, the battle site could have its own forums.)

EDIT:

Oh, I did. Trust me. I read through. It was shot down.

Just saying, I personally only consider something to be "shot down" if the people who disagree with it can actually convince the people who agree with it why they are correct. (That's pretty much what happened with the Shinies thread---although it was fun making alternate colorings for the dragons we were actually allowed to work with.) I'm not sure who else uses this definition, but I'm just going to put it out there.

Edited by ~!~

Hate to have to keep bringing this up, but this same thing was said to people who suggested a trading system for a long time. As TJ said, opinion can shift over time. It may be that opinion on this hasn't shifted and it may be that it never will, but that doesn't mean that it won't either. Checking in on the subject from time to time doesn't hurt anything. And, since TJ didn't close the door on the idea and told us the coding was possible, I don't see what it hurts anyone if we toss around ideas about how it could be feasible.

Maybe they do it to sharpen their battle skills. If a dragon is inclined to be a warrior of defender of other dragons, then why shouldn't they spar?

3. It's wrong for beautiful creatures to fight. So, why should we?

Do you mean morally it's wrong? Because in this game you can also kill eggs/hatchlings/dragons, abandon eggs while fully aware that their mother will not take them back and you could be leaving them to die, tie hatchlings to trees because you want to abandon them and they might love you enough to follow you home, neglect them, turn them into zombies, etc. I'm not sure that we can shoot something like this down because it wouldn't be nice for them to fight.

Leaving aside the question of how you, personally, can keep this site from being anything, the fact is that this game is fluid. It has demonstrated that, over time, it can and has changed. Do I think that this suggestion will be implemented any time soon? Not really. Does that make me sad? Not really. But does that mean it's never going to happen? Who can say? TJ's reply on the first page seems to indicate that a. it's possible to do with the coding system we have and b. public opinion could shift to favor it and so it doesn't need to be automatically dismissed.

TJ made this site equal. If we have stats, guess what :

"What Not To Suggest" is there more so people can know what suggestions have been repeatedly rejected. It should not be used as a basis for denying suggestions; public opinion shifts, and things that were previously disliked by the majority may be favored now. So how about we let the users decide rather than instantly opposing the suggestion for an invalid reason.

For the record, if a 3rd party developer is interested in this, it's definitely possible to do via the API, especially with the API updates I've been working on.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's a good idea for people to say that they don't want it and why, but I'm not sure why there's the need to tell us not to keep discussing it when it's possible that the site might get the feature one day. Its not like we're dragging it all over the forum; it's confined to this one thread.

As to points 1 and 2 -

A lot of people already think that dragons of certain lineages are better than other dragons. People ask "Do you have a Thuwed" or "Do you have a Dorkface" all the time. I know that even gen eggs are often better for trading than regular bred. There's already a hierarchy for anyone who puts value on those things. Then there are people who don't care about lineage at all and so they just ignore it.

Should we end lineage projects because some people assign added value to those eggs? I wouldn't think so, so I don't see why the same wouldn't go for a battling system.

Do you realize this is just a no? In every way possible? I can pick apart your reason, and we won't ever have this. So, it's a no overall.

I have to say that I think that this is why Dragonpuff questioned if you read this entire thread. You made a unilateral statement about something never, ever happening when TJ said on page one, not that it was going to happen, but that public opinion is taken into consideration on these matters and that public opinion often changes over time. He also said that it was possible with the coding that we have in place, which doesn't sound like a "never, ever going to happen" reply.

I agree, as I have in a number of replies, that I don't think that this has the support to happen any time soon. But I don't know where the idea that it's completely out of the realm of any conceivable possibility is coming from. Not liking something =/= something never happening.

~Sarah~

Editing to add some thoughts so I avoid the dreaded double post. smile.gif

These are ideas that people have made in the thread or that I think might work. Which would work, not work, could sort of maybe work?

1. Battling system would be completely optional.

I think it would be good if there was an option in the account settings that said something like “Battle System”. The default would be off.

If all the battling stats were kept on one page, like lineage is, with a link on the dragon page that said “Battle stats”, then not opting in could keep that link from showing up on any of your dragon’s pages. That way it’s not like people would click on a page and see low stats, instead they wouldn’t see any link at all and know that you just don’t take part in that aspect of the game.

2. Text based.

I would think that a text based system would be best so that it doesn’t take a massive amount of work from the server and so that the artists aren’t asked to work even harder. Kind of like breeding, but with battling options instead of breeding options.

3. Only breeds that suit a battle system can be used.

So, for instance, white dragons could not battle.

Also, I think it might be a good idea if only commons were used in the battling system, kind of like rares can’t have BSAs because they’re already so sought after.

4. Dragons get to choose when they want to battle.

I like this idea because I see the dragons battling as more of a sparring thing that they could either do for fun or to help build the skills they use as warriors and defenders. So I think that it would be cool if they could choose when they wish to do so.

Maybe if the a person had the battling system turned on, there could be a symbol that pops up or a link at the top of the page will appear that leads to whichever dragons would like to battle.

5. Dragons battle the dragons of other users who have the battling system turned on and used the link for their dragons to battle.

I kind of like the idea that the system chooses your opponent, because I’m not sure if it would be a good idea for us to choose who we battle or send requests. That could lead people to bugging people to battle with them. I guess it would possibly be okay to show the scroll name of both owners (provided the scroll name option was turned on).

But this would mean that battling might not be instantaneous because you would need more than one person who was ready to battle.

6. Stats

I admit that I don’t really play a lot of battling games, so if those with a little more experience could put together some ideas that we could ponder, that would be great. Some questions I have are –

a. How would wins/losses be determined? Is there a certain randomness that is factored in?

b. Should dragons be in the same strength range to battle?

c. Do different breeds have different strengths in certain categories?

d. Do stats stay with just the dragon that battles or can it add to the stat strength of off-spring?

e. If a dragon was bred from a red/magi would it have higher stats in whatever categories those breeds are best at?

So does the bred dragon get the benefit from having two different breeds of parents that are able to battle (red/magi) or would it get the benefit of stats from the strength that the parent has reached through battling? (Not sure if I’m being clear there lol)

f. How will stats be built up? Does any battle give you some stat increase, or only wins?

Feel free to add to the list of questions. smile.gif

Edited by skauble

Battling? I don't think so. Dragons are not Pokemon. Besides, what effect would battling have? None, and it is superfluous. Benefits (like ascended dragons?), and people would almost be forced to battle in order to achieve a certain goal that can only be achieved via battling. If it has drawbacks (death, missed breeding, loss of BSA...), people would probably think twice before even considering a battle. If it has all of them, the game isn't itself any more.

I dont see why this is such a terrible idea, not only would it give people something to do being scroll locked but it could fit with the dragons themselves.

Dragons like to have THERE space, and it seems the cave is rather crowded.

Editing to avoid posting again.

White dragons could still fit into the battle system they would be the ones to heal your dragons in battle or after battle they do fit the medic persona.

You could even fit lineages into the battle system, dragons from a more pure lineage would have lower stats much like seen in animals how pure breeds have more problems and such, or you could make it where pure lineages have higher stats because they are more put together and not inbreed and such.

Edited by Acridic

...You could even fit lineages into the battle system, dragons from a more pure lineage would have lower stats much like seen in animals how pure breeds have more problems and such, or you could make it where pure lineages have higher stats because they are more put together and not inbreed and such.

I've been lurking in this topic, quietly reading and forming my own opinion, but this just brought me out to say that I don't think this is fair. As people have said many times over already, if a battle feature is ever implemented, it should be optional, just like lineage is. Basing battle stats on lineage isn't nice for people who might want to battle but don't take part in lineages. I know you said it as a side note, but I'm just making this clear.

Anyways, is this even possible? I'm pretty sure the lineage tool records ancestors like a list, and doesn't take note of PB, even-gen, special names, or inbreeding; we, the players, are the ones doing that. I don't even want to think about the coding that would make the lineage tool aware to all that. I like it as it is, anyways. Everything is optional, there are some people who like inbreeding and stuff.

My opinion, in this is:

Poor choice, if anyone wants it. I feel like Pokemon is overused enough.

Can I just ask why everyone references battling to Pokemon? Why not reference it to urr... gee... I don't know... World of Warcraft? Think about it. You move around and you battle. Infact, I can reference battling to about 1,000 other games other than Pokemon.

I am neutral on the concept of battling on Dragcave. I would not mind having it for something for me to do when I have nothing else to do. (I am hyperactive and get things done quickly and run out of things to do. I am 15, what do you expect?)

But the problem is that keeps me from sticking a "Approved by member #" sticker on this is due to how it can be executed. But rest easy, I have a few thoughts.

You see, I am not going to read over 12 pages. (So I am sorry if these are duplicate suggestions. My internetz suck right now!)

But I was thinking, "What if there were no such thing as stats, but instead chance? A black dragon fighting a black dragon would be a 50% 50% chance. But if we had a balloon fighting a black, the balloon would gain 'Ferocity', giving a increased chance of winning due to being underpopulated."

Also I thought, "When a player 'flags' themselves for DvD (Dragon VS Dragon), they will accept that they can be attacked at any time."

And then I thought, "If a player were to use a dragon to attack another, it would have to be random... eliminating 'bullying' via the battle system."

My latest thought on this, "After a dragon battles, there is two possible outcomes. If they lose, they become 'too wounded' to battle and can be healed by a healing dragon. If they win, they can battle again, but up to a certain cap. Lets say a dragon can battle once a day for a made up cooldown."

But then I thought about how winning should benefit.

"So maybe if a dragon wins, they gain some 'experience'. A dragon can 'level' their 'experience' so they can have a increased chance to win."

So in a nutshell, I came up with a chance-based battle system... with some benefits to winning.

Edit- Because I typed the wrong word.

Edited by Charu

I hate hate hate hate hate the idea of battling.

That being said, as long as NONE of it affected us who don't want it, in ANY way, I have no reason to oppose it for those who do want it. ie, no "perks" for battling, no winner's names in the cave, NOTHING that would make gameplay unfair/different for us non-battlers.

I've been lurking in this topic, quietly reading and forming my own opinion, but this just brought me out to say that I don't think this is fair. As people have said many times over already, if a battle feature is ever implemented, it should be optional, just like lineage is. Basing battle stats on lineage isn't nice for people who might want to battle but don't take part in lineages. I know you said it as a side note, but I'm just making this clear.

Anyways, is this even possible? I'm pretty sure the lineage tool records ancestors like a list, and doesn't take note of PB, even-gen, special names, or inbreeding; we, the players, are the ones doing that. I don't even want to think about the coding that would make the lineage tool aware to all that. I like it as it is, anyways. Everything is optional, there are some people who like inbreeding and stuff.

Like the person before said it can be an option you turn on. Why does every one assume that it has to be mandatory?

And as to it giving rewards I don't think battling should give rewards it could be more like a game that has battle points and a list of the top ten people who have the highest battle points much like a high score the only thing they get from being on said list is bragging rights.

Edited by Acridic

The more I read, the more I dislike it.

See? One way or another, it WILL affect us. You're talking about top ten, stats, and all neccesary things needed for battling. How will you do it without stats? By chance?

Battling will become a huge part of the game if implemented, and the game was for collecting dragons, not making them fight.

I keep bringing up Pokemon because this WILL become Pokemon if we implement fighting. Desired breeds? Did anyone actually fight with a rattata? Because they popped up everywhere!

World of Warcraft is not about making creatures battle. It's an epic fantasy adventure, and as much as I love epic fantasy, I'd be equally pissed if this were to turn into WOW.

This is a very, very bad idea, and unless you make it COMPLETELY neutral (which would make it stupid to implement it in the first place). That is, no stats, no beneffits, no badges, no medals, no nothing at all. Then it will affect the gameplay of those of us who are here because IT WAS A COLLECTING GAME.

I keep bringing up Pokemon because this WILL become Pokemon if we implement fighting. Desired breeds? Did anyone actually fight with a rattata? Because they popped up everywhere!

Yes. They did, and beat level 100s. WITH A LEVEL ONE RATTATA.

I'm kind of neutral at the moment... I mean, I see about having benefits being a bad thing. But perhaps if the battling was on a totally different part, so medals and things only showed up there. The only things the same between the two, would be the player's dragons. And the only thing showing up on a scroll would be a small icon to show they were a battler.

Stats would be for the battle part exclusively, they wouldn't change a thing on the main site.

I'm just trying to propose ideas that as many people as possible like.