joiner123

Battling

I'd rather not see htis, personaly. But that *is* a person preference and I'm not intending to provide a long list of reasons. I'm just stating I don't like it.

I'm not even remotely interested in battling. I see it as unnecessary and in the case of many of the dragon breeds, inappropriate.

If the issue is not much to do on the site other than catch and breed dragons, yes you could go play another game, but I do see the point. However, what I'd like to see is some kind of something you could do to work toward ascension. So far we seem to have many "Poof, the dragon is ascended" ideas, and I'd like to see something that takes some time before it just "happens".

This may not be the thread for that discussion though.

I support this it might be difficult to program, its simple sounding enough.

It may be simple sounding, but may take a while to code.

Someone said those that weren't as intelligent would be less likely to fight. I have to disagree. I would say that those that are less intelligent would be more likely to fight. I mean we don't fight as often because we talk it out. However, a lot of animals fight for dominance, usually the males. In many cases, it is a fight to the death, or ends in death from infection later. Of course, usually it based on age. The older animals get beat out.

Anyways, this is going to take some thought. I have been working on other code for my site. The fewer the stats, the easier it is code wise. Fodder for discussion.

It may be simple sounding, but may take a while to code.

Someone said those that weren't as intelligent would be less likely to fight. I have to disagree. I would say that those that are less intelligent would be more likely to fight. I mean we don't fight as often because we talk it out. However, a lot of animals fight for dominance, usually the males. In many cases, it is a fight to the death, or ends in death from infection later. Of course, usually it based on age. The older animals get beat out.

Anyways, this is going to take some thought. I have been working on other code for my site. The fewer the stats, the easier it is code wise. Fodder for discussion.

I think the reason we're keeping less intelligent breeds out of this is we want to avoid it seeming like a dog fight. We want to make it perfectly clear that the dragons are choosing to fight out of your own free will.

And while you're right about age, I don't think that applies to this universe, since dragons are immortal, so they probably don't have the same limits of aging.

(Random tangent; Has anyone ever thought about how the enviroment would collpase if we had so many large dragons that never die?)

I think the reason we're keeping less intelligent breeds out of this is we want to avoid it seeming like a dog fight. We want to make it perfectly clear that the dragons are choosing to fight out of your own free will.

And while you're right about age, I don't think that applies to this universe, since dragons are immortal, so they probably don't have the same limits of aging.

(Random tangent; Has anyone ever thought about how the enviroment would collpase if we had so many large dragons that never die?)

I understand the reason, but those dogs used in dog fights are usually raised for the purpose, or injured prior to the fight to make them aggressive. I only know from what I have seen on the net and tv. As it is, I watch my cats like a hawk to make sure they are just playing and not fighting. My opinion though is that the not-so-intelligent dragons may actually want to fight more, and not necessarily in an arena-like environment, because they don't know any better. It doesn't necessarily apply to dragons on a scroll since I am assuming the "owner" would've raised the dragon to at least stop aggression on command. I think of the these dragons like dealing with a 2 year old constantly. Always testing the limits, and always needing to be watched. Wild dragons on the other hand, may not know any better.

(Re: Random Tangent: Imagine just the amount of food and poo! rofl)

possibly it coud be a random event like"BLACKDRAGON just slashed REDDRAGON, REDDRAGON is not able to do a action/BSA in the next 2 hours"

or something like that...

"What Not To Suggest" is there more so people can know what suggestions have been repeatedly rejected. It should not be used as a basis for denying suggestions; public opinion shifts, and things that were previously disliked by the majority may be favored now. So how about we let the users decide rather than instantly opposing the suggestion for an invalid reason.

For the record, if a 3rd party developer is interested in this, it's definitely possible to do via the API, especially with the API updates I've been working on.

Just requoting this, even if we discuss this, TJ09 stated here "3rd party" which means we need someone to do this. We can talk all day about how we're doing it, but we need to find someone who can do it.

I think both battles of wit and battles of strength should be available. That way, dragons like whites and mints can have their own "fights."

Also, skauble makes very good arguments smile.gif

"What Not To Suggest" is there more so people can know what suggestions have been repeatedly rejected. It should not be used as a basis for denying suggestions; public opinion shifts, and things that were previously disliked by the majority may be favored now. So how about we let the users decide rather than instantly opposing the suggestion for an invalid reason.

For the record, if a 3rd party developer is interested in this, it's definitely possible to do via the API, especially with the API updates I've been working on.

Just requoting this, even if we discuss this, TJ09 stated here "3rd party" which means we need someone to do this. We can talk all day about how we're doing it, but we need to find someone who can do it.

I know. Unfortunately, I don't know how to access the API at the moment. The only access I have is to petsgalorespa.net, but I know how to code and could do something. However, it is kind of hard to code something without knowing what you are going to be doing.

I need more specifics actually. I have just been waiting to ask specific questions to see how well it was going to go over first. If you would like me to ask, let me know and I'll come up a bunch of questions.

I know. Unfortunately, I don't know how to access the API at the moment. The only access I have is to petsgalorespa.net, but I know how to code and could do something. However, it is kind of hard to code something without knowing what you are going to be doing.

I need more specifics actually. I have just been waiting to ask specific questions to see how well it was going to go over first. If you would like me to ask, let me know and I'll come up a bunch of questions.

Well as others have pointed out, some breeds shouldn't fight.

So a list of breeds that are likely to fight, and reason would in my opinion be a start.

-Black dragon - Warriors - like fighting

-Magi - Use magic - test magic?

And so forth.

And those that wont:

-Mint - too shy - hides rather then fight

-Frills - too shy - tries to scare rather then fight/flees/whatever you get the idea.

It gives us an idea on what someone else has to work with. If you have a lot of magic dragons, then you can take magic into account. If you just have brawlers, you can take THAT into account.

So my first questions;

What breeds SHOULD and SHOULDN'T fight and why?

Edited by Geobreeder

So my first questions;

What breeds SHOULD and SHOULDN'T fight and why?

I would go through the list of dragons and look at their descriptions. When I went through my dragons, I found only 5 breeds that had some sort of fighting in their descriptions. Blacks, Storms, Magi, Red, and I forgot the other. There are others that would fight, but wouldn't move, like the Vine.

Other specifics:

What type of combat stat system should be used? Strength, Endurance, Dexterity, Speed, Intelligence, etc.

What would the base stats of each fighting breed be? Blacks have 40/100 Strength, 2/100 Speed, etc.

How much would you be able to "train" each stat by "battling"? Blacks could train Strength to 80/100 but only 10/100 in Speed, etc.

What would happen when a dragon's stats are maxed out?

For that didn't fight, what about some type of training in dragon games? Flying races? Land races? Would these be based on a Speed stat?

A lot of questions, and there are still more that I can think up, but these are a start.

Here are breeds that shouldn't fight:

Chickens (Why do I get the feeling a dragon would eat a chicken for lunch?)

Dinos (They're not dragons)

Cheese Dragons (Wouldn't a dragon eat cheese for a snack?)

Paper Dragon (Paper is very fragile and not to fight with.)

Mint Dragon (Mint Dragons are peaceful in their descriptions.)

White Dragons (They're pacifists.)

ALL HATCHLINGS, EGGS, GLITCHED DRAGONS (Missingno), AND LEETLE OBJECTS (Leetle Tree and Leetle Pancakes) CANNOT FIGHT!

Neglected Dragons (Neglecteds are too weak since their neglected.)

Basically, everything else can fight I'm thinking! (Unless I forgot a few dragons.)

Edited by joiner123

I would go through the list of dragons and look at their descriptions. When I went through my dragons, I found only 5 breeds that had some sort of fighting in their descriptions. Blacks, Storms, Magi, Red, and I forgot the other. There are others that would fight, but wouldn't move, like the Vine.

Other specifics:

What type of combat stat system should be used? Strength, Endurance, Dexterity, Speed, Intelligence, etc.

What would the base stats of each fighting breed be? Blacks have 40/100 Strength, 2/100 Speed, etc.

How much would you be able to "train" each stat by "battling"? Blacks could train Strength to 80/100 but only 10/100 in Speed, etc.

What would happen when a dragon's stats are maxed out?

For that didn't fight, what about some type of training in dragon games? Flying races? Land races? Would these be based on a Speed stat?

A lot of questions, and there are still more that I can think up, but these are a start.

On racing, I just remembered something.

On another site they did there were racing "pets" (it was a pirate game).

One person opened the race (lets ignore betting since we can't do uit) and put a limit of at least 2-8 other racers.

Everyone signed up for that race and when the timer on when the race started was done, the game worked out who won and lost.

We could do this, but limit to "You can sign a one dragon to one race per day, create one per week" or something like that.

This would be for the non-battling dragons.

Oh no! A wild Gold Hatchie appeared!

Go, b4n5! *throws egg/pokeball thing*

Use your super-dragon slash attack!

ROAR.

Wild Gold Hatchie fainted!

b4n5 gained 25 experience points!

...Yeah no.

Oh no! A wild Gold Hatchie appeared!

Go, b4n5! *throws egg/pokeball thing*

Use your super-dragon slash attack!

ROAR.

Wild Gold Hatchie fainted!

b4n5 gained 25 experience points!

...Yeah no.

It wouldn't be exactly like pokemon... I don't think anyone wants that.

And besides theres better RPGish games out there then Pokemon. Pokemon wasn't even the first game of its kind. huh.gif

I was joking xd.png

Personally I would hate this, Dragcave is a site where you collect and breed dragons etc., a battling function would kinda ruin it...

I was joking xd.png

Personally I would hate this, Dragcave is a site where you collect and breed dragons etc., a battling function would kinda ruin it...

But it could be optional.

I was joking xd.png

Yeah but some of us are trying to get this figured out. Jokes aside, if it gets implemented, it does. But TJ09 has already stated we can discuss how to and so forth.

So I don't get why everyone who doesn't want it just doesn't stop the rest of us talking. I don't want it, but I'm not about to stop those who do want it from having it. Plus, even I admit theres times when I wish there was a little extra thing more to the site. So I'll help discuss the ideas to show interest and get it going.

If it gets programmed, then there can always be a vote for and against it at the end. But for now, the jokes aren't that helpful.

Lol sorry :/

I'm just saying, some people want it to be ridiculously pokemon-like, and that would ruin the site.

Lol sorry :/

I'm just saying, some people want it to be ridiculously pokemon-like, and that would ruin the site.

Well, since I am thinking about how to code this, I can say it will NOT be like Pokemon and it WILL be optional. Unless TJ overrides me of course. I got out of Pokemon when they came out with the next set after Red, Blue, and Yellow. This is supposed to be for fun, not as a chore.

The good thing is, if its just text based we won't have to worry about images, its done with the last line of coding. No relying on artists to get it done like. :-)

Back to the question of breeds that can battle, where would Golds fall? It does mention them as using their highly protective scales during battles, but it elaborates no further on how aggressive the breed is. It also mentions them being killed by humans frequently, which begs the question- if they can be killed by humans, how would they fare against other dragons?

The good thing is, if its just text based we won't have to worry about images, its done with the last line of coding. No relying on artists to get it done like. :-)

I think at the very least the dragon images would need to be used. So you could see black X red results, with their names under their images. No new images should have to be made though.

Back to the question of breeds that can battle, where would Golds fall? It does mention them as using their highly protective scales during battles, but it elaborates no further on how aggressive the breed is. It also mentions them being killed by humans frequently, which begs the question- if they can be killed by humans, how would they fare against other dragons?

It could worse or better. It really is up to you guys how to take that. I would say humans had technology the dragons couldn't defend against, like guns. That doesn't rule out magic though, so... *shrug*