joiner123

Battling

That would be cool. But maybe with lists of moves and reactions to show how they fought.

This. I neither support nor don't support - but I would not like to see it affecting the basic game in any way. Just an added fun thing to take it or leave it, with no effect on the cave itself in ANY way.

This.. Sorta...

I DO NOT support this idea at all now that I think about it...It would be too much like other sites. I enjoy how casual this one is.

I know that at one point we can maybe put it in where it has 0 effect on the game..but I have a feeling that it will grow into something else and just..ugh. Nope. DO not want.

If you really want battling, FR has it...But DC shouldn't have it. I don't want DC to be like FR. Ick.

This.. Sorta...

I DO NOT support this idea at all now that I think about it...It would be too much like other sites. I enjoy how casual this one is.

I know that at one point we can maybe put it in where it has 0 effect on the game..but I have a feeling that it will grow into something else and just..ugh. Nope. DO not want.

If you really want battling, FR has it...But DC shouldn't have it. I don't want DC to be like FR. Ick.

I am SO with you. I HATE the idea.

Have it if you like as long as it is hosted on another site (to avoid lag) and TOTALLY optional in that it does not have ANY effect on the game itself. NOTHING would induce me to take part - and if it became an actual part of the game, as in you'd miss out for not doing it, I might well quit.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Idea! Idea!

This could be like the Magicarp badge splash BSA kind of. There'd be a 1 day cooldown on the BSA(or maybe it's a scroll-wide action? I don't know) and you can fight your dragons yourself when you click on the action. There won't be any interacting with other players, it'll be just between your own dragons.

It would be kind of like breeding:

user posted image

user posted image

And then it could be something along the lines of:

"You attempt to fight the two dragons, but they like each other too much to be provoked into battle." (similar to rejection for breeding)

"You fight the two dragons, but neither one comes out victorious."

"You fight the two dragons, and NAME wins!"

After a set amount of times you use this, you could get a scroll trophy, or something along those lines.

It would be really cool if you'd get a special dragon from using the Fight Scroll-Wide Action a certain amount of times, but I'm not sure if that would work.

Your dragons could also have something on their view page showing how many times they've lost, won or drawn.

I like this idea since it doesn't harm anyone. It could be only fun and optionable, just like Magikarp, so yes, why not?

I'll flesh out this idea a bit more but for now:

I have a suggestion for scrolls, something I have been wanting to do for years: Scroll battles: If I attack https://dragcave.net/user/sheppardkid who would win ? I have a lot more brute dragons than he has but perhaps his superior army of White dragons with their white magic could give my brutes and plated colossus a run for their money!

Would be a fun thing to do for some people so it would have to be a thing you opt in.

But battles would be a way of leveraging our pages and pages of old dragons. Each scroll would be like a fort or "poke gym" defended by the dragons inside and people battle and win points.

Imagine your scroll like a list of dragons on your Dragon Weir. When someone attacks you their dragons attack your dragons. There would be no deaths, just knockouts. Your mint fights against their mints if you have more mints thatn they have your "extra" ones can go help the other breeds battling. In the end winner gets awarded "points" as a reward for "looting some treasure" from your Weir. If the attacker loses, you are the one winning points.

We could have tourneys and such, with different "weight classes" lightweight scrolls with bronze trophy or under would compete against each other, silvers compete with silvers, golds trophy scrolls could all compete on the same class or have a few tiers measure by # of dragons: 3,000 or less, 3,000-5,000, 5,000 plus. We could make higher gen dragons stronger, and cave blocker having some deadly attacks, as a way to make people want to keep more blockers on their scrolls and want to trade for higher gens..

Edited by Renmiri

I still agree with myself above:

Have it if you like as long as it is hosted on another site (to avoid lag) and TOTALLY optional in that it does not have ANY effect on the game itself. NOTHING would induce me to take part - and if it became an actual part of the game, as in you'd miss out for not doing it, I might well quit.

The lag thing could be a big issue. With shaky internet, catching can be hard enough with the lag there is already. And NO rewards. That would make it too much non-optional, as you'd be disadvantaged if you didn't play.

Honestly I still think this suggestion belongs in a different game. This just... Isn't what DragonCave is about. I could re-state all the things others have said and all the things I've said already in this thread, but I won't.

The lag thing could be a big issue. With shaky internet, catching can be hard enough with the lag there is already. And NO rewards. That would make it too much non-optional, as you'd be disadvantaged if you didn't play.

Not sure TJ would like the idea of another site hosting stuff about DC...

Provided he agreed, it would be good to have no lag smile.gif

Totally agree with you, all those ideas need to be optional.

Fleshing out my "Dragon Weir Battles" idea a bit more:

It would be a game of strategy more than a battle game: Your scroll would give your Weir the resources:

Your Weir:

- Water Dragons would provide a spring / river or lake depending on how many you had.

- Terrae dragons, vine dragons and other Forest dragons would help you grow dragon fruit for the dragons to eat.

- If you don't have enough water and nature dragons, your dragons get weak because they have little food. (remember no dragon dies in this game)

- stone /earth dragons allow you to build up your Weir walls and caves, the more you have, the stronger they are against attack

Your defense /attack:

- fire dragons, magic dragons, ice dragons, etc.. are all for attack / defense

- White dragons are healers

- guardian of nature dragons are protectors with a lot of health. Common guardians are little tanks that can take a lot of physical attack. Brutes do a lot of physical damage..

Battles:

- Scrolls would be divided by class: under 50 dragons, 50-100, 100-250, 250-500, 500-1000, 1000-3000, 3000-5000, 5000+ Each class can only attack or be attacked by the same class. (remember also that this game is entirely optional so you don't need to join until you feel ready for it)

- A scroll will attack your Weir walls first, with it's brutes, plated colossus and other strong dragons. (or we could say the attacker's weir had some influence on the results)

- After the walls crumble then the scrolls "fight" breed by breed, i.e, their frills attack your frills, their stones attack your stones, etc.. Longer lineages have more EXP and caveborns have more STAM, the rest can be decided by random rolls for attack / defense. Of course someone who has 15 frills will probably win against someone who has 8 frills but there's a small chance the scroll with 8 frills will knock out all 15 and win.

- After all breeds "face off" then the dragons still awake, i.e. in my 15 frills x 8 frills example above, I'd have 2 frills left standing f.e. with 50% hp and my GoN while the attacker has his 2 GoN and a Pyro. Breed stats differ so the attack / defense rolls will follow what the breed caps are.

- If I win, I get a "defender" badge and some points to my boost Weir walls. If the attacker wins he gets an "attacker" badge and attack points for a cave wide (or class wide) rank

Something like that, with trying to encourage people to collect more dragons, and keep more commons on their scroll...

Edited by Renmiri

It would be a game of strategy more than a battle game: Your scroll would give your Weir the resources:

Your Weir:

- Water Dragons would provide a spring / river or lake depending on how many you had.

- Terrae dragons, vine dragons and other Forest dragons would help you grow dragon fruit for the dragons to eat.

- If you don't have enough water and nature dragons, your dragons get weak because they have little food. (remember no dragon dies in this game)

- stone /earth dragons allow you to build up your Weir walls and caves, the more you have, the stronger they are against attack

Your defense /attack:

- guardian of nature dragons are protectors with a lot of health. Common guardians are little tanks that can take a lot of physical attack. Brutes do a lot of physical damage..

Battles:

- Scrolls would be divided by class: under 50 dragons, 50-100, 100-250, 250-500, 500-1000, 1000-3000, 3000-5000, 5000+ Each class can only attack or be attacked by the same class. (remember also that this game is entirely optional so you don't need to join until you feel ready for it)

- A scroll will attack your Weir walls first, with it's brutes, plated colossus and other strong dragons. (or we could say the attacker's weir had some influence on the results)

- After the walls crumble then the scrolls "fight" breed by breed, i.e, their frills attack your frills, their stones attack your stones, etc.. Longer lineages have more EXP and caveborns have more STAM, the rest can be decided by random rolls for attack / defense. Of course someone who has 15 frills will probably win against someone who has 8 frills but there's a small chance the scroll with 8 frills will knock out all 15 and win.

- After all breeds "face off" then the dragons still awake, i.e. in my 15 frills x 8 frills example above, I'd have 2 frills left standing f.e. with 50% hp and my GoN while the attacker has his 2 GoN and a Pyro. Breed stats differ so the attack / defense rolls will follow what the breed caps are.

- If I win, I get a "defender" badge and some points to my boost Weir walls. If the attacker wins he gets an "attacker" badge and attack points for a cave wide (or class wide) rank

Something like that, with trying to encourage people to collect more dragons, and keep more commons on their scroll...

I don't mind battling being optional, but I don't think that any sort of addition to DC should affect how people play DC. I don't support the idea of "being encouraged" to collect more dragons whether they are common, uncommon, specific breeds, or otherwise.

You should be able to battle everyone with what you've got.

I would love to battle with my dragons (though I would prefer NPCs for personal reasons), but since DC is not a very mini-game-oriented adoptable site it seems weird to have this implemented. There are multiple things I can think of that can make this undesirable (lag issues for older computers/slower internet, giving TJ more to maintain, it opening the floodgates for tons more mini-games that are "justified" in being implemented because this one was...), but if this was a fan-made game I think that would be awesome and play the snot out of it! It would have to be as detached as possible from DC though, so that the actual staff aren't burdened by its existence in any way. The biggest issue I can think of about a third-party "DC Coliseum" is that not all of the artists want their dragons remade for fan-purposes, and many would have speculative lore because there are no dragonopedia pages for them, but if we could figure something out I think that would be really cool!

So "no" to an implemented method of battling with your dragons that's on-site/demands maintenance from TJ and his staff, but "yes" to a third-party, fan-made non-profit game that allows simple battling for the bored scroll-owners out there. tongue.gif

I wouldn't mind a third party DC Colosseum provided it's not too intensive on DC servers to pull data. But on site seems unlikely because I don't expect many people to be interested and the lags on the site are already bad as it is.

I mostly agree with this. The only thing I think can be changed is the "no rewards" part - as long as the rewards only affect battling.

Your Weir:

First, it's "Weyr", not "Weir". Second, the expression is probably copyrighted by Anne McCaffrey.

Water-based dragons do not provide water, they live in various bodies of water. Neither Vines nor Terraes have the ability to grow stuff. Vines merely stuff themselves with everything in reach, while Terraes are (partially?) photosynthetic. I don't think your idea for earth/stone-based dragons is any more logical than the rest. If you want to do something based on the dragon types you have, you'd better read all their descriptions carefully for inspiration. Tacking on [insert cool thing here] to a random breed sure isn't the way to go.

Your defense /attack:

Even this needs some more fleshing out. What is the difference between the various dragon types? Could you use some tactical advantages, like using your Tsunami Wyverns to cool off your enemie's fire-breathing dragons?

I think that the first thing that needs to be decided (if battling is to be a thing) is whether these battles are pokémon style or weyr style.

Pokémon style: You can have as many dragons/pokémon as you want, but you can only use a very limited number for battling. (Of course, you can choose which dragons, not to mention re-work your team as often as you like.) This could mean that you get to "train" your dragons and level them up, maybe give them some super extra powers along the way. This is probably the easiest way to implement battling.

Weyr style: The dragond from your whole scroll are involved in every fight. But a mere "let's see who has got more dragon of each type and has better luck with random numbers" gets boring rather quickly. Which is why this type of battling would need tactical elements. You'd also need ways to defend your Weyr against invasion while you're offline. Traps, distractions, surprise attacks or even sentries and so on can be organized ahead of time. Which means that you'll need spies and battle formations and a lot of other elements to make this work.

I mostly agree with this. The only thing I think can be changed is the "no rewards" part - as long as the rewards only affect battling.

< snip >

Weyr style: The dragond from your whole scroll are involved in every fight. But a mere "let's see who has got more dragon of each type and has better luck with random numbers" gets boring rather quickly. Which is why this type of battling would need tactical elements. You'd also need ways to defend your Weyr against invasion while you're offline. Traps, distractions, surprise attacks or even sentries and so on can be organized ahead of time. Which means that you'll need spies and battle formations and a lot of other elements to make this work.

True about the dragon lore, those were just examples.. Agreed, it will take a lot more to make it work with each dragon lore.

Love the idea of traps and spies and such. I think the pygmy dragons would be excellent spies based on their size.. Perhaps others too, the shadow walkers come to mind.

As for not trying to get people to collect blockers.. Maybe I've been away too long but last I was here on the forums we had CCC and other efforts to make people collect and keep blockers, has this been discontinued ? I gave a few of my pretty shinnies offspring for prizes for the CCC.

I love each one of my 3,500+ dragons, not just Lati0s, my cb Prize and my low gens. But as far as lineage projects, EG and checkers are getting a bit.. dull.. I wanted a way to make having scrolls more fun and having the cave as vibrant as it used to be and this is my humble suggestion to make it more fun

Why would longer lineages get more experience? Knowing who their ancestors are shouldn't in any way affect how good they are at battling. That makes no sense to me.

As for the "encouraging to collect commons", There has always been efforts to do so *on the forums*. But having an in-game feature that pushes a certain specific playstyle is not something I want to see.

But if that pressure to collect more commons is coming from a completely optional part of the game, then it's only pressure for those who choose to play that optional part of the game. And even then they could choose to ignore it and battle with what their own collecting rules make of their scroll.

Guys if you're going to say the addition of a fighting system will make this too similar to Pokémon and that this is unique because of 'x' attribute. I may want to make you aware that you can essentially mirror every aspect of this game inside of Pokémon when you have finished the main game. All you need is 3 Pokémon to do it, at least one Pokémon that has a gender and a Ditto are the only requirements. (Assuming generations 5+) You will also need a connection to Wi-Fi and you're set.

From what I have stated above, all 721 current available Pokémon can be collected, along with their various forms and appearances. You may even go as far as to collect every Spinda, including shinys. It'll only take a few hundred dollars to do. And yes I can see that in any battling system that puts any amount of creatures, elemental or not, will have Pokemonesque attributes.

This is coming from an expert player (Of Pokémon), so there may be bias within my opinions considering I have an emotional and familial attachment to the game. This entire rant was just too highlight the fact that making the argument that this (Dragon Cave) isn't like Pokémon is a bit frivolous. Sorry if anyone gets offended. (Not sure how, but it might happen)

~Sean. A. S.

Edited by Glathos

You can equally well say that the fact that it (possibly) would not is not a valid argument for saying what a good idea it is.

But one thing about this game that is particularly nice is that it can be played on dodgy internet and at our own speed, without having to interact with others unless we choose to; except for trading, we can do the whole thing without ever being in contact with another player. That's one side of it that many of us value. If this were introduced, and if it EVER became a way to get things that couldn't be got in another way, or if it made some things faster for those who wanted to - or even were able to - join in, that would be a very retrograde step. I KNOW I couldn't battle on my Canadian internet, even if I wanted to (which I don't).

And lag - for all of us is an ongoing issue.

Could someone outline how or if this idea has changed from the OP's post? The first post is kinda lacking in info....

Cheers!

C4.

This isn't really something I'd be interested in. As long as I could turn off the option and never have to be bothered with it, and as long as it didn't slow things down, then I suppose it'd be ok.

Regarding an integrated battle feature to Dragon Cave gameplay:

I am wholly against this idea. Those who say that adding elements which will make Dragon Cave similar to other games is not necessarily a bad thing do not consider (Or at least do not pay heed to) the factor of uniqueness in the current game. Why would you, and what are the benefits for, putting in hard labor to create something virtually identical to an already existing system for the purpose of having another system like it? If a person wants a certain thing which already exists and is easily accessible, why would that person go to the lengths of altering something else to fulfill what has already been fulfilled? If you want a Pokemon-type game, play Pokemon. Do not ruin the experience of hundreds of other players to do something that has already been done. For those who want a collecting game, here it is. This game is specifically for the people who enjoy doing exactly what is offered by this game. Say a person wants to collect stamps for the express purpose of collecting stamps; another person who does not like collecting stamps should not change the way stamps are collected to fit their own needs. That other person finds another hobby. I understand that this implementation would be optional to every individual player, but that does not make it acceptable. I am certainly taking this to an extreme analogy, but a country that allows the option for murder will likely be viewed by others as the country that allows murder, and will be treated as such, and not as the country that houses some murderers and some people of good conscience and morality. The focus of the game will be lost. We who require nothing new will be deprived of what we currently require. You who starve for already plentiful nutrition will not feed from our well-being, but will seek the place where it is plentiful. In this fashion, parasitism cannot be accepted. This is not what the game is about. If we were to conduct a vote, I would expect to find that those content will be in the majority. If you do not like the website, do not play it.

Now, in regard to an off-site, fan-made battle system based on Dragon Cave gameplay:

I believe this belongs under a different thread. I will support fan-made sites so long as they comply with copyright laws and the designers' wishes. Do as you wish in lawfully creating your websites; we cannot object, and therefore you do not need permission from the players of Dragon Cave.

I agree with every word TheVoid has posted.

I am here because there isn't even the SUGGESTION I have to do that kind of stuff to play on a level playing field with others. I can just collect and breed. That's all I want, really, with a little trading on the side. Sure I can join in a few things that don't radically change the game if I like, things that don't disadvantage anyone who doesn't choose to. But otherwise... I'm here just because it IS different.