joiner123

Battling

ktor Bluemoon (pFEd) is more experienced and gets first strike versus Polly Molly (8Wp6)

Viktor Bluemoon rushes towards Polly Molly and hits him with full force.

Now Polly Molly strikes Viktor Bluemoon with his claws and deals him a deep scar.

Suddenly Viktor Bluemoon raises up and throws an huge fireball onto Polly Molly but only hits the ground, a full bodylenght away from Polly Molly.

Polly Molly answers in the same way and Viktor Bluemoon gets a painfull broadside.

Viktor Bluemoon growls at Polly Molly and Polly Molly is so terrified that he stumbles.

Abruptly Polly Molly snaps at Viktor Bluemoon and takes a tasty bite.

Viktor Bluemoon tries to catch Polly Molly a last time and hits his claws in him flank.

Now Polly Molly lays all his power into a final attack and launches Viktor Bluemoon into the ground.

Both dragons fall to te ground simultaneously, totally exhausted from the fight.

Note: Polly Molly is my chicken laugh.gif

I think a battling system is fine on a separate fansite, using the API to determine what dragons people have, the same way the view-giving fansites do. It could be as fancy and complicated as the people running the site wanted it to be, and it would have no effect whatsoever on the main site, where people could continue playing their collecting game the way they always have.

I very much Do Not Want battling on the main DC site, for the simple reason that anything that uses site resources increases the load on the site and adds to the lag. We have enough problems with lag as it is, without adding stuff most people don't want, that has nothing to do with the core game, and that could easily be done elsewhere for people who do want it.

I very much Do Not Want battling on the main DC site, for the simple reason that anything that uses site resources increases the load on the site and adds to the lag.

I agree with everything here except perhaps the capitalization of random words to point out an internet meme. rolleyes.gif

if I said.. that it was being considered.. and is somewhat underway... would people throw tomatoes at me?

if I said.. that it was being considered.. and is somewhat underway... would people throw tomatoes at me?

I wouldn't. I'd feel simply very sad.

..... ok... I won't then... but we can expect it in the distant future.. thats all I'm going to say.. don't ask for details.. I have a reputation to keep with TJ. xd.png

I wouldn't. I'd feel simply very sad.

Me, too.

Whatever it does to my warn level, I must say that I'm one of many who'd prefer DC not go in this direction...

I don't think battling is a good idea. It'll just mess everything up. Besides, when or how can there possibly be a battle?

No, but I might cry.

Really, do we need to add this? Battling is SO not what DC is about. There's already that fighting thing people were linking, and what codyne said about a separate fighting fansite sounds ideal to me. If people are hellbent on their dragons having stats, maybe they could be related to the codes in some way.

I just really really don't want this on the site, I feel like it would attract a different kind of player. I don't have any problem with people who like the idea of their pets fighting. But that's not what this game is, that's not what we signed up for and that's not the atmosphere I want sad.gif

I dont like this fighting idea, and for me, it will be a sorry day, when it is implemented. I, too,prefer, a game where You dont have fighting for a change. Apart from my pesonal preference, I think games with fighting have a tendencay to make players much more competitive and, well.. I dont like that. I like collecting and raising dragons without having to worry about doing this and that, so im not canonfodder for the more ambitious players.

..... ok... I won't then... but we can expect it in the  distant future.. thats all I'm going to say.. don't ask for details.. I have a reputation to keep with TJ. xd.png

I am really sorry to hear that. I just think it will destroy the co-operative spirit of this place and make people more competitive and aggressive toward each other. I hope if it is implemented it is kept totally separate so that those of us who are not interested do not have to see, hear, or taste it -- in other words not obvious at all to those who are not interested in doing battle. I don't suppose that is likely, though, as people who are involved will probably want to advertise their prowess boldly in their sigs if nothing else. sad.gif

Edited by purplehaze

..... ok... I won't then... but we can expect it in the distant future.. thats all I'm going to say.. don't ask for details.. I have a reputation to keep with TJ. xd.png

I hope the plan is to keep it totally separate and totally optional and then I wouldn't have a problem with battling.

I dont like this fighting idea, and for me, it will be a sorry day, when it is implemented. I, too,prefer, a game where You dont have fighting for a change. Apart from my pesonal preference, I think games with fighting  have a tendencay to make players much more competitive and, well.. I dont like that. I like collecting and raising dragons without having to worry about doing this and that, so im not canonfodder for the more ambitious players.

This, 100%....

As much as you guys say you don't like it, if its implemented, it may change some minds.

Even those who want the fighting, if the fighting system is censorkip.gif they won't like it.

I can guarantee that I will not like it.

Why? Not because I have a problem with fighting. Not because I don't have faith in the system that will be implemented.

But simply because that is not what I want to see here, on this site. Fighting is not what I signed up for when I joined dc.

I am very against this.

I like DC being a dragon collectibles site

pet sites are just not my thing, I quit every one of them that i ever go to.

so, if DC turned into a petsite, i would probably quit, even if i like it a lot now.

so, i say no.

I've tried Pokemon. I've tried countless other pet sites, most of which include training, battling, lots of that kind of interaction.

DragonCave is *different*, it's one of the very few dragon-collecting sites that doesn't have that kind of stuff, and I *like* it that way.

how about for battling you create an army for your scroll, and when your scroll is attacked, they defend it and so on...keeping the win/lose stats for your scroll only.

to balance out the huge armies that could be created, dragons in the army cannot breed. if you are attacked, theres a chance your eggs will be: hatched, killed, abandoned, nothing happens. and hatchies: grown up early(to defend), abandoned, killed, nothing happens. (all events would be very rare)

in the aftermath, fertility goes way up, leading to bigger clutches of eggs when bred(to make it worthwhile for the defenders), and the attacker *could* steal some eggs/hatchies, with some negative effects making them harder to raise: softshell, possible abandoning each day, suicide...or maybe auto-neglect.

basically, it doesnt matter who wins or loses with this, besides switching the percentages for the eggs/hatchies, and of course to say "i have such and such wins"

i know this is prolly a bad idea, but i thought since dragons are going to battle, you should make it as epic as possible...without killing off peoples scrolls in gigantic explosions.

panoramas of these fights might be fun for the artists to make too wink.gif

how about for battling you create an army for your scroll, and when your scroll is attacked, they defend it and so on...keeping the win/lose stats for your scroll only.

to balance out the huge armies that could be created, dragons in the army cannot breed.  if you are attacked, theres a chance your eggs will be: hatched, killed, abandoned, nothing happens.  and hatchies: grown up early(to defend), abandoned, killed, nothing happens.  (all events would be very rare)

in the aftermath, fertility goes way up, leading to bigger clutches of eggs when bred(to make it worthwhile for the defenders), and the attacker *could* steal some eggs/hatchies, with some negative effects making them harder to raise: softshell, possible abandoning each day, suicide...or maybe auto-neglect.

basically, it doesnt matter who wins or loses with this, besides switching the percentages for the eggs/hatchies, and of course to say "i have such and such wins"

i know this is prolly a bad idea, but i thought since dragons are going to battle, you should make it as epic as possible...without killing off peoples scrolls in gigantic explosions.

panoramas of these fights might be fun for the artists to make too wink.gif

No thanks. If there is battling, it shouldn't effect your scroll at all and should be totally optional.

Edited by rubyshoes

..... ok... I won't then... but we can expect it in the  distant future.. thats all I'm going to say.. don't ask for details.. I have a reputation to keep with TJ. xd.png

You know TJ personally?

----------------------------

Staying on topic: Please, no. This has been suggested soooo many times, and shot down every single time.

Edited by dragonryaman

QFT ^

Think about it for a second

Human : Dragon Go Fight Him!!!

Dragon: Uh Why?

Human: Cause I'm Bored

Imagine trying to convince a mint to fight *does not compute* this is not Pokemon

Think about it for a second:

Human: Yo dragon. Go mate with that other dragon.

Dragon: Wtfno. -chomp-

And yet they do, most of the time.

I imagine different breeds of dragons would have different battle stats. Whites wouldn't fight at all (since it says in their description that they're strict pacifists); mints would be weak, but fast and agile; blacks would be strong and

What if we could somehow control our dragons while they were fighting? I have no idea if this would be codeable, but it would make it much more entertaining than a GPX+ style of fighting, where you just dump a dragon in a 'fighting slot' and wait to see if it wins or not. It probably wouldn't.

Honestly, I would be glad to have more things to do with dragons after they've reached adulthood and been described. I would like having more characterization fodder.

But if that means turning DC into a petsite... just... no. If we want to make DC more interactive, we need to actually try and come up with original things, like the Hoard idea in its developmental stages. Battling just ain't the way to go. Besides, the way scrolls and whatnot are set up, I have enough character/story fodder for a lifetime.

My two cents.

(Plus it'd be hell to code.)

armies that could be created, dragons in the army cannot breed.  if you are attacked, theres a chance your eggs will be: hatched, killed, abandoned, nothing happens.  and hatchies: grown up early(to defend), abandoned, killed, nothing happens.  (all events would be very rare)

the attacker *could* steal some eggs/hatchies, with some negative effects making them harder to raise: softshell, possible abandoning each day, suicide...or maybe auto-neglect.

Battling is fine with me, but imagine how horrible the site would be if your scroll was attacked and it deleted stuff off of it.

Finally got a holly? loltoobadIattack

Do not want.