joiner123

Battling

And if that were to be the way of it - could a dragon "want to" fight one of mine - as I can guarantee mine will never co-operate, and I would never EVER want to receive an invitation.

I think that way is far too complex - what about a dragon which was frantic to fight one whose owner was on vacation in Switzerland.... biggrin.gif

This ISN'T an RP site. If people are determined to battle - PLEASE put it somewhere where those of us to whom it is anathema NEVER have to hear anything about it. Not one WORD !

ETA and as to extra clicks and the like - I think most people in this thread have said that if this were to happen, it should NOT confer ANY benefits in the REAL game of this site - which is a collecting game. No-one should feel they need to take part in something they really hate or they will lose out in the real game.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Just a curious question - what if battling was a completely unofficial thing hosted on a different site, just owned and operated by TJ? owo

I think that way is far too complex - what about a dragon which was frantic to fight one whose owner was on vacation in Switzerland.... biggrin.gif

ETA and as to extra clicks and the like - I think most people in this thread have said that if this were to happen, it should NOT confer ANY benefits in the REAL game of this site - which is a collecting game. No-one should feel they need to take part in something they really hate or they will lose out in the real game.

I agree with this. I support battling, as an additional fun, but I don't want it to offer any benefits regular player can't achieve. Is must be absolutely wilful, thus, the players who don't want to battle might even forget such option exists; it shouldn't affect them in any way.

I still think Mystic Grove example is good. There would be enough battle fans to have our own tops, ranking, etc, there's no need to mix it with the common playing style.

Just a curious question - what if battling was a completely unofficial thing hosted on a different site, just owned and operated by TJ? owo

As long as it interacts with DC (I mean, uses my own dragons, not their copies), this sounds as a very good idea. Really.

Edited by Outer Space

I think this is a good idea. That way, no one has any pressure about battling if they don't want to.

Also, if this one on the main site, dragon cave could change entirely. huh.gif

Now *that* I could totally support.

This suggestion, as is.... Argh.

If I never had to encounter it, *never* got any "this person wants to battle!" messages, and the battling-stats had nothing to do with affecting regular gameplay (no perks for people who battle!!), then I guess I can live with it.

Honestly, tho, I'll say what I've said on another site I'm on: Instead of implementing new server-intensive features, I would much rather time/energy be focused on getting the DragonCave we have *now* more stable and reliable. Ie, fixing the lag, the constant errors and downtimes (especially during new releases), etc etc. Rather then focusing on implimenting a feature that many people don't want, and that would slow the site down even more.

Sounds like a great idea to me, as long as it still is connected to your scroll (so you're using your own dragons). But it wouldn't be necessary to use the first Cave, it would just be something added on for people who like that thing.

I still think the dragons should have some element of choice on whether they want to fight, either way.

A black dragon VS mint dragon? Mints are meant to be interested in HIDING not BATTLING.

i'd actually kind of enjoy his if it was text based, maybe different breeds of dragons would have different stats? so mints would have high agility making them hard to hit. lol there would be a lot of "Your black dragon is too slow and does not hit the enemy Mint Dragon!" Just as logn as it doesn't affect gameplay I'm fine, no "You must attack this dragon to capture it!"

I have zero opinion of the original conundrum, but I think it would be best if it is kept relatively separate and entirely optional (see Socky's post. Socky is smart. All hail the Socky!).

However! I wouldn't let the game give the dragons their own randomly-determined personalities.

Now, now, don't fire the flamethrowers yet. The reason for this is that it basically stomps all over descriptions. It is my choice to describe a Black as being a terrible coward, or a Mint as a fiesty little thing always looking for a brawl. It really wouldn't do if the game suddenly decided "Oh, sorry, I'm gonna do the exact opposite of what you wrote in that description now, kthxbai."

I have zero opinion of the original conundrum, but I think it would be best if it is kept relatively separate and entirely optional (see Socky's post. Socky is smart. All hail the Socky!).

However! I wouldn't let the game give the dragons their own randomly-determined personalities.

Now, now, don't fire the flamethrowers yet. The reason for this is that it basically stomps all over descriptions. It is my choice to describe a Black as being a terrible coward, or a Mint as a fiesty little thing always looking for a brawl. It really wouldn't do if the game suddenly decided "Oh, sorry, I'm gonna do the exact opposite of what you wrote in that description now, kthxbai."

Well, hey, there are randomly determined refusals to breed. Say I want two certain dragons to fall in love and make many eggs, but then they refuse. It's the same concept.

Well, hey, there are randomly determined refusals to breed. Say I want two certain dragons to fall in love and make many eggs, but then they refuse. It's the same concept.

The key here is timing, though. I would chance a guess that breeding was in before descriptions - or at least at the same time (would need a REALLY veteran member or TJ himself to confirm, though). Battling is an entirely new concept that might invalidate already written and approved descriptions (due to lack of approval staff, they take months to approve nowadays), maybe even in a cascading manner in a few cases. That's a bit of a problem.

I agree-- I don't do descriptions, but I do have ideas of some of my dragon's personalities. I'd be pretty poed if derpy-kun in my sig here suddenly decided he wanted to beat up other dragons :S

Edited by TPishek

Totally opposed to dragons deciding for themselves if they want to battle or not.

Because of the descriptions as has been said before, but also because that would defeat the whole point of the proposed battling: the reason people want this is because they want to have something more to do with their dragons. So if the dragons do it by themselves, people still have to sit and wait for something to happen...

I think Sock is on to something with the proposal of a seperate site. If DC remains exactly as it is but there's another site where you can 'import' (some of) your DC dragons to do battles with them, people who don't want it will not be disturbed by it at all, and people who do want it can battle their hearts out.

Yes OK. As long as it doesn't confer ANY in game benefits, and as long as someone like evil sweet pacfist me will NEVER receive a request to fight biggrin.gif

Honestly, tho, I'll say what I've said on another site I'm on: Instead of implementing new server-intensive features, I would much rather time/energy be focused on getting the DragonCave we have *now* more stable and reliable. Ie, fixing the lag, the constant errors and downtimes (especially during new releases), etc etc. Rather then focusing on implimenting a feature that many people don't want, and that would slow the site down even more.

This. VERY this.

Presumably, with the API, someone who was really interested in this feature could even set up a "fan site" for battling without having to load TJ down with doing it. You would register your scroll (or your dragons) there, and the site would handle all stats/fame/whatever from the battles. Those who aren't interested could ignore it totally.

Presumably, with the API, someone who was really interested in this feature could even set up a "fan site" for battling without having to load TJ down with doing it. You would register your scroll (or your dragons) there, and the site would handle all stats/fame/whatever from the battles. Those who aren't interested could ignore it totally.

That sounds EVEN BETTER ! (like that one someone linked further up but more sophisticated ?)

A long as (I know NOTHING here) that wouldn't be ANY kind of strain on the API - one more thing pulling down info ?

Yes that sounds great, that way TJ can devote his precious time to features that most people seem to want and stabilizing, as Marie19R has said.

I'm not sure if information about all dragons can be found in that API though, as I think it is normally only used for eggs and hatchlings (but then again it is something I don't know anything about, so I'm just guessing).

Also, when the site starts up and a lot of people try to import 200+ dragons at once, I expect trouble...

actually,it somewhat makes sense.you know animals fight all of the time.

*cough*mybetta*cough

pacifests and the small ones dont have to fight.and the battle may not even be started by you anyway.

hypothetical sceneioro: 2 dragons are angery with each other,so they fight to blow off some steam.

I imagine they would fight like boxers/wrestlers. No killer damage, and somewhat light hearted.

*Black and Guardian get on gloves and enter the boxing arena*

Me: DING DING, 1,2,3! *blows whistle*

I actually like just the simple grow-and-raise dragons thing. I really don't want anything else, like having to feed them and play with them and other petsite-ey stuff.

It's perfect the way it is. But that's just me. Everyone's got their opinion. After all, what is the suggestions thread for? happy.gif

I was thinking of this long time ago, and pm'd something of sort to TJ, but now I realize he don't have time. So, now a 3rd party would work, I wonder if it could be proposed that person who has the ability and money be able to open another website up, and have it be called something like, www.DCBattleCave.net or something and once you get there, login in with the cave idea and it loads all of your dragons and there newly found stats and etc and can battle and etc. Of course my idea was more of a roleplay, like say take your dragons to go have an adventure, explore the lands and etc. Basically my idea was more of runescape and WoW on in dragon form.

Hmm, so 3rd party.....

Well, if this idea pans out in full, someone at least pm me about it, I wouldn't mine having a few of my dragons fight or give me a funny look like asking me why....

I actually like just the simple grow-and-raise dragons thing. I really don't want anything else, like having to feed them and play with them and other petsite-ey stuff.

It's perfect the way it is. But that's just me. Everyone's got their opinion. After all, what is the suggestions thread for? happy.gif

I totally agree with this. I don't think we need to battle dragons.

Me three. I have enough to do with lineages and so on.

The reason this initially got so much support and neutrality for it is because, as we hashed out, it's completely optional. A fun little side thing that doesn't give any perks besides something to do for those who want it. :3