joiner123

Battling

unsure.gif *asks permission to hide in airaani's corner* xd.png

*peeks out of corner* Feel free to join me Syphoneira, and anyone else who is as frightened of this battling idea as I am...

Agreed.

If this begins turning into Neopets, I'll simply leave. I really, REALLY grew to hate Neopets, because it is an annoying, frustrating, irritating, time consuming game that leads nowhere.

Even although I don't have rares here, I don't care that much. I have a load of dragons and ways to play the game.

But Neopets, battling was stupid because you needed weapons, and weapons were hard to come across because you needed money, and you had to spend like 7 hours day to make a miserable amount of money. A couple 1000 Np, when good weapons were over a million.

I have worked hard to get a car in real life. I will work hard to buy a house, or whatever I wish. But I won't throw my time in a game, when I'm such a busy person!

I joined DC because it is about collecting and raising dragons. I don't wish battling. Anyways, WHY? I mean, why should we battle? It's not like there aren't other games our there that allow battling. I might go into DC, collect a few eggs, post them here and there, and just leave to play HOI3, or Mass Effect, or just go to work, college, study or paint and write a bit. It's a great game as it is now!

Umm this is an adoptables site not a petsite. I would not want to see this site become like Neopets cuz I'm beginning to not like playing there anymore.

i like this idea.and seeing that everyone is saying no,let me ask you this:if it was on another site,called something like...dragcavebattles(dragon-cave-battles),or something,and you could transfer your account there,(and still keeping your dragcave account)along with dragons that could fight(they would still be on your scroll.and i dont think frozen hatchlings can fight big adults,so they would a have special arena or something)and if you dont want to fight,then dont.because you dont HAVE to this.

Edited by bmrjw

i like this idea.and seeing that everyone is saying no,let me ask you this:if it was on another site,called something like...dragcavebattles(dragon-cave-battles),or something,and you could transfer your account there,(and still keeping your dragcave account)along with dragons that could fight(they would still be on your scroll.and i dont think frozen hatchlings can fight big adults,so they would a have special arena or something)and if you dont want to fight,then dont.because you dont HAVE to this.

Let me ask you something else.

When you joined the site, you knew it would be about collecting dragons. Not about raising and battling pets.

Would you send a mail to Paradox and tell him you want to build cities in Europa Universalis?

Would you send a mail to Bioware and tell them you want Mass Effect to include epic fantasy like LOTR?

When you buy a game, you know what you're buying.

When you joined DC, you knew what this game was about.

Why do you want to change it? Just go to Neopets, or buy some Pokemon game, and leave the rest of us alone with our collecting game.

If there is no benefit in battling, why should it be done?

If there is a benefit, how is that fair for us who only want to collect dragons?

*sigh*

first of all,i have NO idea what you just said.second,i CANT build cites and all that stuff.im a kid.i cant do all that,so your argument is invalid.or at least some of it is.

and with the suggestion i posted,no one HAS to fight.

*sigh*

first of all,i have NO idea what you just said.second,i CANT build cites and all that stuff.im a kid.i cant do all that,so your argument is invalid.or at least some of it is.

It was to make a point. We DON'T want this turning into a virtual pet site. Splitting it into DC and DC Battle or whatever would just ruin it for a lot of people. This is a ADOPTIBLE site NOT a petsite. Leave it as it is. The majority of people don't want this, it's not what this site is about. You want to battle with dragons join DragonFable they use dragons on there to fight with either as pets or in grown adult form.

I don't really like this idea. Although everyone keeps suggesting that it could be a small amount of coding and such, and just have one pose for the battle, we all know that people would end up complaining about the graphics. That they weren't animated, blahblahblah.

The idea seems too pet-site-ish, and DC is about collecting and breeding, not battling. If we brought in battling, we'd have to also bring in silly dress up games and some sort of currency, just to get that lovely, cheesy pet-site feel.

As DNH said, if you want a battling kind of game, get pokemon or go on neopets.

Leave us to collect and be greedy for eternity :D

*peeks out of corner* Feel free to join me Syphoneira, and anyone else who is as frightened of this battling idea as I am...

Thanks!

*goes to bake cookies and make tea*

I'm not getting the correlation between battling and pets. Who has their pets fight each other?

I thinks we shouldn't have battling because who wants to watch the dragon you worked so hard to get lose or you lose it in a battle. Also that's what makes this game unique, you just have fun collecting these dragons in your own creative way. If we were to have battling the common ratio would totally change and people wouldn't collect the dragons because they liked the spirit but because the dragon was strong in battle.

This has already been discussed. I think most people voted that they didn't want this.

As such, I don't want this in Dragon Cave. I have nothing against the idea, it's just that Dragon Cave is a collecting game, not and RTS or RPG.

If you want to battle, go play pokemon. Or Neopets. I don't really see how battling applies to DC. We raise and care for dragons, we don't train them to fight. The game is about collecting and raising dragons through the cave, AP, and breeding, not about playing games with them and fighting them.

It always amazes me when people join this site, knowing what it is, and then suddenly want to change it into something else. There are plenty of games where you can fight already. This one is about something quite different which is why I joined it.

Please, please, PLEASE leave it as it is and go do your battling elsewhere!

..... What purplehaze said. Yes.

There are soooo many pet/battle sites out there. Sites where you have to feed and bath your pets, where you can dress them up or make them fight each other or play fetch with them. I can name ten off the top of my head.

DragonCave is NOT one of those sites and thank goodness for that. If you don't like adopting/collecting these dragons, go to one of the million other websites, but please don't come in here and try to change our lovely game into one of THOSE things.

*sigh*

It's pretty obvious you don't have a clue of what I'm talking about, so I'll take my time and explain it in a way you can understand it.

Europa Universalis, is a game from the PARADOX company, which revolves in European wars from 1419 (if I'm not mistaken), to 1819. It is a WAR GAME.

You can't just mail Paradox and tell them to change the WAR GAME, into a game about building cities (as could be SimCity). When you buy EUROPA UNIVERSALIS, you KNOW it's NOT about building cities, you know it's a WAR GAME. Don't like, don't buy it, go buy SimCity instead.

Mass Effect is an RPG sort of game, focused in SPACE. It's from Bioware company. You can't just mail Bioware and tell them you want some Paladins of Helm, or some Nazgul along, and to be able to do magic. Mass Effect is NOT about that.

You want to play some epic fantasy, go buy Oblivion, DragonAge, or NeverWinter Nights. Don't pretend to ruin the fun for players who LIKE Mass Effect for what it IS right now. Because that's, simply NOT FAIR.

What you guys are trying to do is exactly that. Step on the rights of players like me, who like the game for what it is NOW, who joined the game because it was about collecting dragons, because it WASN'T a pet site.

I joined because I knew what the game was about, the same as I bought Mass Effect because I wanted some SciFi adventure, and Bioware are masters at doing it, and the same as when I bought Oblivion because I felt like playing an epic fantasy game.

Each of these games have different functions. Each of them is different on their own, exquisite way. Each of them is good for what they are. I don't want to change any of them, and mutate them into an aberration, because, when I got them, I knew what I was to expect, and knew that was the game I wanted to play.

The point with your suggestion relies in these questions;

1. If there will not be an advantage in battling, WHY DO IT?

2. If there will be an advantage, HOW IS THAT FAIR FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO?

The whole point of my argument is;

You have Pokemon, you have Neopets, you have hundreds of games and petsites to battle.

Just WHY are you so selfish to ruin the fun for those who DON'T want this to become a battle your dragon site?

Don't like. Leave. Go play something else where you can put your precious pets to battle. Leave us, who joined this COLLECTING GAME alone.

BTW, my connection is terrible. Would battling make it even worse? Because I already have one heck of a time collecting uncommon eggs (not to mention rares), due to the lag.

The more complex features the game has, the more coding, and the more downloading data my connection will have to suffer. No thanks, this game is hard enough for me as it is already.

We know that there's not enough support for a battling system, so I don't think this is really an issue other than tossing around ideas. But IMO, there's nothing wrong with to OP asking about it or looking at ways it could possibly work. Yeah, maybe it's a suggestion that isn't popular (at this time), but I don't think that the OP was doing something awful by bringing it up.

The point with your suggestion relies in these questions;

1. If there will not be an advantage in battling, WHY DO IT?

2. If there will be an advantage, HOW IS THAT FAIR FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT TO?

I'm not sure why there has to be any advantage to the OP's suggestion to make it worthwhile to them? They think it would be fun. Collecting dragons is fun. I think they suggested it because they wanted to talk about an idea that they thought, right or wrong, might increase the fun.

The whole point of my argument is;

You have Pokemon, you have Neopets, you have hundreds of games and petsites to battle.

Just WHY are you so selfish to ruin the fun for those who DON'T want this to become a battle your dragon site?

Don't like. Leave. Go play something else where you can put your precious pets to battle. Leave us, who joined this COLLECTING GAME alone.

BTW, my connection is terrible. Would battling make it even worse? Because I already have one heck of a time collecting uncommon eggs (not to mention rares), due to the lag.

The more complex features the game has, the more coding, and the more downloading data my connection will have to suffer. No thanks, this game is hard enough for me as it is already.

This pretty much was the argument against teleport and yet people suggested a trading system all the time. And while I wasn't in favor of the changing the way the game was, I knew that people weren't suggesting it because they wanted to ruin my enjoyment, but because they felt it would make the game more enjoyable for them. It wasn't selfish, just a matter of personal preference and how they felt the game could change, grow, and be better. I think that's all that's happening here - someone had an idea, thought it might be fun, and shared it.

~Sarah~

Oh, Sarah, why do you always have to be so . . . so . . . reasonable! laugh.gif <3

This pretty much was the argument against teleport and yet people suggested a trading system all the time. And while I wasn't in favor of the changing the way the game was, I knew that people weren't suggesting it because they wanted to ruin my enjoyment, but because they felt it would make the game more enjoyable for them. It wasn't selfish, just a matter of personal preference and how they felt the game could change, grow, and be better. I think that's all that's happening here - someone had an idea, thought it might be fun, and shared it.

And yet there were MANY people against it because they considered it would ruin their enjoyment. The fact that it hasn't been implemented already, and doesn't seem it will be in a long time, makes me think it was something people were not willing to accept.

But you're missing my point. The point is the game is fine as a COLLECTING GAME. That's what people are here for. Even trading can be considered part of the final goal of the game, which is breeding and collecting dragons.

Battling was not something that attracted people to this site. It was Collecting dragons, tiny cute dragon sprites. It so happens a newby comes around, joins the site and suddenly feels this should become PokeDragons! (because, most of the time, it's the newbies making these sort of suggestions).

I'm not sure why there has to be any advantage to the OP's suggestion to make it worthwhile to them? They think it would be fun. Collecting dragons is fun. I think they suggested it because they wanted to talk about an idea that they thought, right or wrong, might increase the fun.

If they think battling pets is fun, they should go to a site where they could battle pets.

I joined DragonAdopters a long time ago. Tried it. Discovered it was a petsite and thus left. I never pretended to change the game system. Who am I to say how others should play the game?

Maybe I would think it's fun to make this an All World's Fantastic Animals Collection site, but then someone would come around and tell me to go to MagiStream because this is DRAGON Cave, not Choose Your Animal Cave.

Lets say we allow battling now. Then what's next? Dressing them up? Feeding them? Collecting their scales to make weapons for them to fight?

And how would we dictate that? We'd make it so rares are more powerful, and commons are less powerful? How's that fair? People would hoard rares even more than now. Or we make them opposite, then transform commons into artificial rares.

I'm sorry, but I like the game because it's selfishly individual. I do what I wish in my scroll without taking into consideration nobody else. I like it that way. The only competition is against others to snatch eggs. I can breed, interbreed, create lineages, or do as I feel without bothering anyone else.

Oh, Sarah, why do you always have to be so . . . so . . . reasonable!  laugh.gif <3

I get one moment a year. Expect me to be unreasonable until January. xd.png

And yet there were MANY people against it because they considered it would ruin their enjoyment. The fact that it hasn't been implemented already, and doesn't seem it will be in a long time, makes me think it was something people were not willing to accept.

You’re right; it is something that most people are against and I doubt it will be implemented in the foreseeable future - which honestly doesn't bother me at all as my interest in this subject was simply curiosity about how it might work as opposed to any driving desire for it. But suggesting something unpopular doesn’t make a person selfish, it just means that they like an idea that not everyone else does. It can be tiresome and repetitive to address the same suggestion again – although, for the record, I think that having this one thread for all of the battling pros and cons and discussion is a good thing – but that doesn’t mean that the person making the it didn’t have the best of intentions.

But you're missing my point. The point is the game is fine as a COLLECTING GAME. That's what people are here for. Even trading can be considered part of the final goal of the game, which is breeding and collecting dragons.

Battling was not something that attracted people to this site. It was Collecting dragons, tiny cute dragon sprites. It so happens a newby comes around, joins the site and suddenly feels this should become PokeDragons! (because, most of the time, it's the newbies making these sort of suggestions).

Actually, there were quite a few of us that saw this game as a competitive, sometimes risky collecting game – equal emphasis on hunting and collecting. Just because you might not have valued the extra competition and risk doesn’t mean that it wasn’t important to other people or that we didn’t see it as an inherent part of the game. The trading system will place a lot more emphasis on social networking and that will change this game in some fairly fundamental ways. And, to some, those changes actually take the game away from the one that they signed up to play. The fact that it takes you closer to the way that you view the game to be doesn’t mean that it’s not a huge change and it doesn’t mean that you didn’t sign up to play knowing that safe trading wasn’t part of DC.

I want to be clear here, that I have nothing against the teleport system. I gave my opinion when the subject was up for debate, and when the idea was adopted I just shifted my game plan to accommodate it. So I’m not questioning the merits of a trading system and am perfectly fine with its implementation, but I think that the parallels in the arguments are worth noting when considering ways in which DC is open to change.

What I am saying is that –

a. The OP wasn’t being selfish by suggesting something that they thought might be fun. If people think it’s not fun then that’s cool, but that doesn’t mean that the OP didn’t have good intentions by suggesting it – like most people do who make suggestions.

b. People have suggested things before that were superfluous to the single minded goal of collecting; suggestions that were in no way necessary in regard to placing pixels on a scroll, but that would simply make the game more fun overall.

The scroll messaging system comes to mind. That would take extra coding, consume some resources (although I have zero idea how much or little that might be), isn’t necessary for effective gameplay, and many people won’t even remotely want to use. But the fact that the game runs perfectly fine without it and that it’s not essential, doesn’t automatically make it a bad suggestion. And despite the fact that I don’t even turn my scroll name on and so may very well opt out of any system where I can be randomly contacted, doesn’t mean that people who were interested in it shouldn’t have brought up the idea.

c. Why can't this suggestion have a part in collecting? For some people a battling system might actually give them more reasons for collecting or a direction for their collection to grow.

d. I think that it’s certainly necessary to point out the problems in a suggestion or the ways that it might damage the integrity or playability of the game, but I’m concerned about creating an atmosphere where people feel scared to make suggestions. A lively debate on the merits of an idea is great, but commenting on someone, as a person, seems like a great way to discourage new ideas.

And how would we dictate that? We'd make it so rares are more powerful, and commons are less powerful? How's that fair? People would hoard rares even more than now. Or we make them opposite, then transform commons into artificial rares.

I'm sorry, but I like the game because it's selfishly individual. I do what I wish in my scroll without taking into consideration nobody else. I like it that way. The only competition is against others to snatch eggs. I can breed, interbreed, create lineages, or do as I feel without bothering anyone else.

The one thing I think can be said for this thread is that, like the idea or hate it, the people who have either supported it or who have simply pondered how such a system might work have tried to do so with an eye to the whole thing being optional and non-disruptive to those who don't want to be involved with that kind of thing. And when concerns about how it might spill over arose, people were working on addressing them. Whether or not that would be possible, I think that it’s important to acknowledge that people were as open to talking about how to isolate the system as they were about having one.

~Sarah~

c.  Why can't this suggestion have a part in collecting?  For some people a battling system might actually give them more reasons for collecting or a direction for their collection to grow.

We are all individual people. People do things differently, as we all have different opinions for what is 'fun'. Some people will collect only Caveborns, while others fill their scrolls with Lineaged ones. Why can't people have the option to raise their Dragons to be great warriors? All it does is add another layer to the game, and give people more opportunities for 'fun'.

I have read through this entire thread just now, and I say I am on the supporting side of it. If it is implemented by the people working on it here, then it will be entirely optional. People who don't want to battle won't have to battle. People who are open to it would be free to do so. I see nothing wrong with that.

On the matter of implementation, do the Dragons even need 'levels' at all? Some stats would be necessary, so the server could decide on a winner based on them, but are 'level ups' necessary? Because, in my opinion, that is the single most over-used mechanic in fighting games. laugh.gif I liked the idea of stat ranges suggested awhile back.

That way, the stats would be all that are shown on the dragons page, and people wouldn't be able to flaunt their level 100 Dragon, or its children, based on that one number alone.

Edited by Dragonpuff

After reading the last few entries I've changed my mind. As long as battling is optional, I have no problem with it.

I think everyone should just accept that TJ would have the dragons fight if he wanted to and the votes state that most users don't want fighting and users should except that fight is not what this game is made for.

"What Not To Suggest" is there more so people can know what suggestions have been repeatedly rejected. It should not be used as a basis for denying suggestions; public opinion shifts, and things that were previously disliked by the majority may be favored now. So how about we let the users decide rather than instantly opposing the suggestion for an invalid reason.

For the record, if a 3rd party developer is interested in this, it's definitely possible to do via the API, especially with the API updates I've been working on.

It looks like TJ is leaving it to us to figure out, actually. ^-^

And, there are several people on this thread that support a basic battle system.

Edited by Dragonpuff