joiner123

Battling

But perhaps if the battling was on a totally different part.

So, you want to make an entirely new site just for the sake of playing pokemon with dragons? Im just against this idea in general.

So, you want to make an entirely new site just for the sake of playing pokemon with dragons? Im just against this idea in general.

This.

As someone who doesn't want to battle, I actually think stats is a reasonable perk for battling. Gives something for people who want to battle, and people who don't want to battle can ignore it. The stats don't have to be on the page, they can just show up whenever you choose to battle and can help a dragon grow more experienced, but it would only affect battling. Nothing else.

These are ideas that people have made in the thread or that I think might work.  Which would work, not work, could sort of maybe work?

1.  Battling system would be completely optional.

I think it would be good if there was an option in the account settings that said something like “Battle System”.  The default would be off.

If all the battling stats were kept on one page, like lineage is, with a link on the dragon page that said “Battle stats”, then not opting in could keep that link from showing up on any of your dragon’s pages.  That way it’s not like people would click on a page and see low stats, instead they wouldn’t see any link at all and know that you just don’t take part in that aspect of the game.

2.  Text based.

I would think that a text based system would be best so that it doesn’t take a massive amount of work from the server and so that the artists aren’t asked to work even harder.  Kind of like breeding, but with battling options instead of breeding options.

3.  Only breeds that suit a battle system can be used.

So, for instance, white dragons could not battle.

Also, I think it might be a good idea if only commons were used in the battling system, kind of like rares can’t have BSAs because they’re already so sought after.

4.  Dragons get to choose when they want to battle.

I like this idea because I see the dragons battling as more of a sparring thing that they could either do for fun or to help build the skills they use as warriors and defenders.  So I think that it would be cool if they could choose when they wish to do so.

Maybe if the a person had the battling system turned on, there could be a symbol that pops up or a link at the top of the page will appear that leads to whichever dragons would like to battle.

5.  Dragons battle the dragons of other users who have the battling system turned on and used the link for their dragons to battle.

I kind of like the idea that the system chooses your opponent, because I’m not sure if it would be a good idea for us to choose who we battle or send requests.  That could lead people to bugging people to battle with them.  I guess it would possibly be okay to show the scroll name of both owners (provided the scroll name option was turned on).

But this would mean that battling might not be instantaneous because you would need more than one person who was ready to battle.

6.  Stats

I admit that I don’t really play a lot of battling games, so if those with a little more experience could put together some ideas that we could ponder, that would be great.  Some questions I have are –

a.  How would wins/losses be determined?  Is there a certain randomness that is factored in?

b.  Should dragons be in the same strength range to battle?

c.  Do different breeds have different strengths in certain categories?

d.  Do stats stay with just the dragon that battles or can it add to the stat strength of off-spring?

e.  If a dragon was bred from a red/magi would it have higher stats in whatever categories those breeds are best at?

So does the bred dragon get the benefit from having two different breeds of parents that are able to battle (red/magi) or would it get the benefit of stats from the strength that the parent has reached through battling?  (Not sure if I’m being clear there lol)

f.  How will stats be built up?  Does any battle give you some stat increase, or only wins?

Feel free to add to the list of questions.  smile.gif

I have grown to love you over the course of this thread Sarah. ^-^ You're posts are always so clear and concise, and you are so reasonable about everything! Kudos to you!

With regards to your 6th point, I can at least tell you what I have been thinking of.

A. Each Dragon would have basic breed-specific stats. When two Dragons battle, their stats would be compared to each others to determine the outcome. I think a small factor of randomness should apply, so every battle isn't always concrete in its outcome.

B. I think there should be strength ranges, to be fair. That way a seasoned fighter won't be pitted against a new one. And since we are thinking of the Dragons fighting only to keep their skills sharp, it would make sense for them to find an opponent that would provide them a challenge.

C. I would have to say yes. Like, a Black may be stronger physically, but a Magi has stronger magic. Base stats would need to be worked out for each breed capable of fighting.

D. I think that with regards to breeding, babies of fighters should get a small base stat increase, depending on the breeds of the parents. But, then you get into 3rd Gens and further, and it gets tricky. Over time, the increases should get smaller and smaller as it goes down the lineage. That way, long lineaged fighting familes are still stronger then short lineage familes, but not by much. Just my thoughts on it.

E. Yes, but only a small increase. And it would only be an increase to base stats, so babies would not inherit battle-won stats from their parents.

Just had another thought while answering this:

To use your example, a Red/Magi pair produce a Red baby. That baby only gets a boost from one parent. It would be randomized which parent they got their increase from, but they would not get increases from both.

I think the whole breeding fighting lineages needs to be gone over a bit more, to decide on how the stats would stack.

F. This, I'm not too sure about. Automatically, I think only winners should gain more stats, but then, the loser should have gained some knowledge from the fight. Maybe, both get a stat increase, but the loser only gets say, 1/4 the increase the winner did?

I don't think scoreboards and the like would be a good idea. They just seem to be 'too much' for what we are thinking of here. We want battling to be optional and unobtrusive for the people who don't want to participate, so blasting High Scores all around the cave wouldn't be the best idea.

Anyway, maybe we should just try and get this back on track as to the discussion of how this would all work. A couple pages ago, we were discussing which breeds would be able to fight at all. I think Sceptile100 had a decent list going, and the last undecided that was being debated was the Pinks. We couldn't really get a yes/no on them, so mayhap we leave them for a moment and move on to the next?

To bring back the undecided list:

Albino: Says skin is scaleless, not sure if they're tough enough (Was decided as no)

Pinks/Purples: No, just no (Still undecided)

Holiday Drags: Eh, just not sure

Vine: Positives and Negatives to this one

Dorsal: Nothing for or against

Neo's: Playful?

Orchre Drakes: Same as above

Horse Dragon: Kills but idk

Geode: idk

Seasonals: idk

Stripe: they eat insects, not sure

Waterhorse: Same as dorsals

Suns: Meh

So next is the Holidays, which are:

Hollys, Yulebucks and Snow Angels: Spread good cheer and are the 'Spirits of Christmas'. I'd say no on these ones.

Pumpkin: Like Pygmys, they are a bit too small to be fighting.

Valentine: These ones are shy, as babies. Another no, though I honestly could possibily see them participating in battles around their breeding time.

Sweetling: They are tenacious, by their description, but are quick to flee. I'd say no.

Vampire: Um, yes? xd.png Vampires, come on! They'd love a good fight now and again.

What if someone wanted to give away a rare egg say, a Trio egg. But everyone says 'Eww! That egg has terrible stats! Nowai!'

That wouldn't be good.

I think the system could work and would be fun. I'm not really into lineages, though I do try to avoid inbreeding or spreading inbreds, but other than that, there's not much else to do but wait for eggs to hatch/mature and breed dragons.

I believe if we were to implement this, we should start simple. We just send our dragon into battle with one of several commands, each of which can trump another; a sort of 'rock, paper, scissors' deal, with dragons randomly matched and each dragon only getting to fight once a day.

There should be no stats other than a battle record for keeping track of wins and losses (and draws, if we allow them). That way the breeders can brag about all their Dorkfaces and Thuweds, the collectors can brag about their extensive collections and huge numbers of rares, and the fighters can brag about their few dragons with excellent winning streaks.

More depth could be added in the future, but I think this would be good place to start.

What if someone wanted to give away a rare egg say, a Trio egg. But everyone says 'Eww! That egg has terrible stats! Nowai!'

That wouldn't be good.

I wouldn't think that eggs could battle, so why would it have stats?

There will always be people willing to grab rares.

I don't think of it as a BAD idea, at least I dont want to shut it down. I guess so long as the stats and win/loss scores of the dragon don't interfere with breeding patterns or even trading. It could be that when the dragon is traded, it's ''stats'' could be reset, so we wouldn't have to worry about trading a common dragon who has won 20 times over some good lineage dragon with no fighting experience. Just trying to appease both who are for and against it. Though it really doesn't bother me. =)

What if someone wanted to give away a rare egg say, a Trio egg. But everyone says 'Eww! That egg is inbred! Nowai!'

That wouldn't be good.

Someone will always want it, regardless of stats or lineage.

I know that if this idea were implemented tomorrow, and someone is giving away a Trio egg, I'd jump at it, whether or not it had good stats.

If this idea were implemented tomorrow, I'd want to see that this were like lineages, where you couldn't see anything related to it unless you clicked a link, maybe on the dragon's page. This should also be an opt-in system, not opt-out. If you've opted-in, it could look something like this:

1. The dragon in question is itching to fight. The dragons decide when they are ready to battle.

2. You click on the link and it leads you to another page, saying something along the lines of "here's your stats, click the link to fight a random dragon that the system picks for you from the dragons elsewhere whose scroll owners have opted-in and who are ready to fight." Your dragon cannot fight a dragon whose owner has not opted in, and your dragon cannot fight a dragon that is not in the mood.

3. You click the link and the system pairs you up with a random dragon that fits the aforementioned criteria.

4. Some function of 'stats', 'prowess', and 'random chance' will determine the winner.

5. The dragon will be too tired to battle again that day.

It could be that when the dragon is traded, it's ''stats'' could be reset, so we wouldn't have to worry about trading a common dragon who has won 20 times over some good lineage dragon with no fighting experience.

If the dragon has already won battles, then how are we trading it? tongue.gif

Okay. Before I hear one more silly Pokemon crack, check out The Pit Dragon Trilogy .

Battling =/= Pokemon. It's getting REALLY old.

*As a side note, the Pity Dragon books are really good.

Edited by AlmostAlways

If this idea were implemented tomorrow, I'd want to see that this were like lineages, where you couldn't see anything related to it unless you clicked a link, maybe on the dragon's page. This should also be an opt-in system, not opt-out. If you've opted-in, it could look something like this:

1. The dragon in question is itching to fight. The dragons decide when they are ready to battle.

2. You click on the link and it leads you to another page, saying something along the lines of "here's your stats, click the link to fight a random dragon that the system picks for you from the dragons elsewhere whose scroll owners have opted-in and who are ready to fight." Your dragon cannot fight a dragon whose owner has not opted in, and your dragon cannot fight a dragon that is not in the mood.

3. You click the link and the system pairs you up with a random dragon that fits the aforementioned criteria.

4. Some function of 'stats', 'prowess', and 'random chance' will determine the winner.

5. The dragon will be too tired to battle again that day.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking of with regards to how the system would work. wink.gif

You want battles? I can give you battles wink.gif

Check out the Dragon Cave Arena where you can let your dragons fight against each other.

Two go in, one comes out. Only full grown dragons may participate. Use the 4-diggit-codes to send a dragon into the battle.

Check out the Dragon Cave Arena where you can let your dragons fight against each other.

Two go in, one comes out. Only full grown dragons may participate. Use the 4-diggit-codes to send a dragon into the battle.

Cute. I decided to try it since there was no real harm going to happen to my dragons. Here's the result.

nHoa is more experienced and gets first strike versus mND8

nHoa rushes towards mND8 but he simply takes a step to the side.

Now mND8 strucks nHoa with his claws but he misses.

Suddenly nHoa raises up and throws an huge fireball onto mND8 but only hits the ground, a full bodylenght away from mND8.

mND8 answers in the same way but nHoa was prepared and blows the fireball away with his wings.

nHoa growls at mND8 and mND8 is so terrified that he stumbles.

Abruptly mND8 snaps at nHoa but mND8 was to slow.

nHoa tries to catch mND8 a last time but mND8 was to fast.

Now mND8 lays all his power into a final attack and launches nHoa into the ground.

Both dragons fall to te ground simultaneously, totaly exhausted from the fight.

Decided to try it out. Sent my oldest black (B9yd) against my oldest balloon (erGK).

erGK is more experienced and gets first strike versus B9yd

erGK rushes towards B9yd but he simply takes a step to the side.

Now B9yd strucks erGK with his claws but he misses.

Suddenly erGK raises up and throws an huge fireball onto B9yd but only hits the ground, a full bodylenght away from B9yd.

B9yd answers in the same way but erGK was prepared and blows the fireball away with his wings.

erGK growls at B9yd and B9yd is so terrified that he stumbles.

Abruptly B9yd snaps at erGK and takes a tasty bite.

erGK tries to catch B9yd a last time and hits his claws in him flank.

Now B9yd lays all his power into a final attack but stumbles against a rock.

erGK uses the chance to finish B9yd off, but B9yd escapes at the last moment.

dragon cave kinda does need something new and alive to stop me from abandoning my scroll for a couple weeks sad.gifdry.gif

dragon cave kinda does need something new and alive to stop me from abandoning my scroll for a couple weeks sad.gifdry.gif

I don't have an issue with that. I quiet enjoy the fact I can play whenever I feel like.

Nice. If you keep like that, we might not even need to get out. Nintendo will sue us.

Their is Digemon Bakugon and many more battle games. Pokemon was the first monster battle game to come out it. However Digemon came out in 1997 and no one sued them, they even got their own cartoon. Nintendo can not "sue" anyone just like Warcraft can not sue Warhammer they are both fantasy RPG's just like Digemon and Pokemon are both Monster Battle games. They might have a lot of similar quality's but when one thing paves the way to open doors up many more will follow and they might look similar and be based around the same things but they do not have to be compared.

I still can not understand why mostly every one who is seeing this idea refers it to Pokemon, is it maybe that it just is that big in the culture? Warcraft has stats and battles if you have ever played their card game its not just a fantasy MMORGP.

I think the whole pokemon=batteling thing is the dead horse that keeps getting kicked around.

And if it is optional still why are people against it? You could still collect your dragons with out ever seeing the mention of battle on your scroll or their stats or anything, it could even be enable to bring up another menu that you have to go to in order to use the battle feature that has to be enable through your user preferences.

So if you can not see it, and it doesnt effect you why still be against it? I am getting the feeling theirs a lot of stuffy McSourfaces who are afraid of change, I use to be against a lot of things when I played Gaia but most that I was against when they made the change I didnt even notice something had changed.

And as for energy stats you could call it Rage instead of like stamina, Rage could take a full day to regenerate or it could be based upon a 10 minute tick every 10 minutes you get 1 Rage back.

I like the whole Dragon not being in the mood to fight that could be a random chance thing with in the programing much like what is used for egg gendering.

That is actually a really good example of what we want to do! The only thing missing is the record. We want to have this fun feature implemented, but for the people who use it, we want for them to have a page or something where they can view their Dragons stats, win/loss record, etc.

That is actually a really good example of what we want to do! The only thing missing is the record. We want to have this fun feature implemented, but for the people who use it, we want for them to have a page or something where they can view their Dragons stats, win/loss record, etc.

Well, that and it would be nice to be able to control what our dragons do. But perhaps not...

I am kind of neutral on this. The biggest thing, to me, is to make sure it does not, in any way, affect the rest of the game. Like trading and such. I do not think it would be a good idea to 'pass down' stats from parent to offspring. Maybe it could start out where each breed has a set of stats, every breed. There could be 'classes' so mints and other smaller/weaker breeds could still fight too. But not against blacks or hell fires. The dragons could increase their stats, but NOT pass them on to their young. That, to me, is one of the biggest things.

That was cute. I sent my two oldest dragons, my male split and my male skywing, against each other because in the RP sense they've been fighting over leadership of my scroll for a while. I got this:

Dream Streak (KRRH) is more experienced and gets first strike versus Skyern (nLO1)

Dream Streak rushes towards Skyern but he simply takes a step to the side.

Now Skyern strikes Dream Streak with his claws and deals him a deep scar.

Suddenly Dream Streak raises up and throws an huge fireball onto Skyern which explodes on Skyern's head.

Skyern answers in the same way but Dream Streak was prepared and blows the fireball away with his wings.

Dream Streak growls at nLO1 and Skyern is so terrified that he stumbles.

Abruptly Skyern snaps at Dream Streak but Skyern was to slow.

Dream Streak tries to catch Skyern a last time but Skyern was to fast.

Now Skyern lays all his power into a final attack but stumbles against a rock.

It was a bit boring just to read it out. Also, I don't see how skywings can stumble xd.png But it was a foolish bit of fun.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but just wanted to point out we now have a dragon who loves to fight, the Spitfires.