Branndi

Twilight

Wind-chimes?!?!

*head-desk*

Wait, Edward sparkles twice in the first movie?

I knew I should have bared to watch it 'til the end.

Its in the meadow scene if I recall correctly. >_> Light flickers across his cheek and it sparkles and you hear the windchimes and its just. So. Bad.

Ahem. I present you you-

The Top Ten Reasons Why:

Susan Calvin (Asimov's Robot stories) is better than Bella:

1. She has a brain, and uses it.

2. It's not hard to relate to her, we've all had moments of being like her/knowing someone like that.

3. She doesn't lose her head (or freedom) for love.

4. Her friends might be shiny and hard-skinned, but that's because they're robots.

5. She has actual, human flaws.

6. She will tell people off for being stupid without batting an eye.

7. When she does manage to get into a situation that threatens her life, she reacts /like a human being/- that is to say, with fear.

8. She takes precautions to prevent her life from being endangered.

9. The author who created her has had some actual impact on literature, and not because of how bad he was.

10. Her purpose in life is not to be fought over by guys she has only shallow interest in, instead, she actually is the fighting force.

----

Chell Johnson (Portal) is better than Bella:

*Note: Reasons compiled are admittedly based on assumption, but they still work.

1. For a character you only get a few glimpses of, Chell is more well-rounded than Bella.

2. Proves that beauty does not make a heroine.

3. She is far from passive when it comes to keeping herself alive.

4. Thinks with portals- that is to say, thinks in puzzles that are difficult to solve, and will kill you if you screw up.

5. Does not give up until she's dead.

6. Keeps a level head in dangerous situations.

(Okay, only six reasons for her, but. *taps reason one*)

----

GLaDOS (Portal) is better than Bella:

1. It's f*cking GLaDOS. :|

2. Her attempts at humor are actually funny.

3. She knows she can manipulate people and takes full advantage of this.

4. She has an actual personality.

5. Does not rely on others- proven by the fact she has killed/cleared out the Center.

6. Can appreciate it when people do one-up her, and learns from it.

7. Just because she can learn, really.

8. While not a heroine (or good in any form), she is a much better female role model than Bella.

9. Actually tries to teach people something.

10. Can be torn apart and make a cheerful little song, rather than angsting for four months. (... an angsty GLaDOS? ._. OH GAWD.)

----

(I will write more later, right now I'm kind of stuck and will be repeating myself x.x Planned characters- Violet Baudelaire, Emily the Strange, probably Hermione Granger.)

Hmmm.....might I add to this list, Paine?

Toph (Avatar) is better than Bella:

1) She has an interesting physical defect (is blind) but manages to cope with it.

2) Is a strong and capable fighter, but not over-powered, like Bella becomes when she turns into a vampire.

3) She has deep rooted insecurities about her family that she tries to hide through a hard exterior

4) She has trouble in social situations, because she's never had an actual friend.

5) She has a great sense of humour

6) Though young, she can sometimes be very wise. Sometimes she can be really stupid, too.

7) Other characters don't always like her, and aren't afraid to say so.

8) She isn't immune to fear.

9) While she does have crushes, she doesn't let it rule her life.

10) Her character develops as the story progresses.

Hermione (Harry Potter) is better than Bella:

1) While extremely intelligent, this isn't always shown to be a good thing.

2) She has a hot temper

3) She is not afraid to get mad as her friends

4) She is very insecure about her feelings

5) In danger, she often loses her head, and can't keep control

6) She can be overly bossy

7) She is incredibly caring

8) She's not very imaginative

9) She gets easily stressed

10) She has a cool name xd.png

EDIT: Guys, I've just found something that seriously creeps me out.

Some of you might be aware of sights like "My Life is Average" or "GivesMeHope" where people put of happy or sweet or funny stories. Well, I just found another site. "My Life Is Twilgiht". It is really, really freaky.

Here's a couple of stories from it:

"Today, My mom was talking to me about marriage and I just screamed and said "I'm not getting married to anybody thats not Edward" and then she proceed to say that he doesn't exist and all I screamed was "Yes he does". MLIT"

"Today I found out that some people don't like Twilight. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO? MLIT"

Edited by Completely Different

"Today I found out that some people don't like Twilight. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO? MLIT"

Lol. As if Twilight>God or something ( even deities are not loved by all... >>)

That scares me as well. :/ Apart from that other site made by people that were physically attacked by twilight fans ( includes broken legs and stuff, it's actually nasty... And scary... *runs away*)

Just reading those, there are like hundreds of characters who're way better than all of Twilight Stues/Sues combined.

For example, Galen Arvad (from The Mystic Warrior). Better than any other.

1. He actually is an interesting character.

2. He has a reason to whine, he's being caught by the Pir Inquisitas (the world's church), and considered crazy (which is like the worst thing).

3. He has been separated from his family, and his land.

4. He has weaknesses, and actually flinches when he's forced to kill.

5. His goal is returning to his wife's side, and is placing all strength on that goal.

6. His love is real. He's not an obsessed, gender abuser, infatuated with a scent.

7. He meets realistic characters, and has realistic reactions with them.

8. He is a 20 (around) year old man, and acts like a 20 year old man.

9. He goes through an ordeal of suffering, in his quest, and actually learns a lesson in the end.

10. He has to make sacrifices.

11. You actually feel sympathy for him, whether you couldn't care less if Bella became a werewolf, and ripped Edward to shreds.

12. He has magic! How much cooler can you get?

12 reasons, and I'm forgetting something for sure. Note, the books were ok (it's a trilogy). Not fantastic, but they make for an enjoyable read. However, they consist of three alternate stories, in three worlds (human, fairy, and goblin). I was only interested in the human world, mildly amused by the faeries, and I couldn't care less for the goblins.

Any other characters? How about Ron Weasley? xd.png.

Any other characters? How about Ron Weasley? xd.png.

Oh, I could do Ron Weasley:

1) He has a sense of humour

2) He has a strange mix of both loyalty and selfishness in his character

3) He's not particuarly talented or smart

4) He has been shoved to his side all his life, because of his six other siblings, and the fact his best friend is incredibly famous

5) He is highly protective of his friends and family

6) He's not perfect. He gets jelous, angry, and scared

7) He's creative

8) You get to see his romance(s) blossom and grow over the course of seven books

9) He can be very rude and arrogent- but also caring

10) He can be very determined

Oh damn, Toph, why didn't I think of her?

Anyway.

Why Violet Baudelaire is better than Bella:

1. She is a teenage girl and her first priority is the well-being of her family. Which, given the context of her world, makes a lot of sense!

2. She keeps herself together when it counts and does not break down- at least, not until she's done what needs doing.

3. She shows she has a wide range of emotion, and they are all justified in the situation.

4. Mechanical genius, and she's worked at it since she was little.

5. Has the sheer gall to find loopholes in laws to prevent something bad from going on, and put it into action.

6. The romance of her life is never top priority.

7. Has a genuine love for her siblings and friends.

8. Has had her share of suffering in the series, but refuses to give up.

9. Is not entirely good, she's done her fair share of villainous acts to save her life and those of her siblings.

10. Thirteen books are not wasted on pointlessness- you get to see actual change and growing up.

Why Bellatrix Lestrange is better than Bella:

1. It's BELLATRIX. She is an unstable, insane, psychotic freak who kills for the hell of it, and knows she can.

2. While love (lust, even?) plays a huge role in her life, you never directly see that thanks to how well done it was.

3. She knows what she wants, and damn any poor soul who gets in her way.

4. She is feared and (in the Death Eater community) respected for a reason. Even bad guys work for what they want!

5. She can hold her own against other powerful wizards and witches, all while gleefully cackling and taunting them.

(... yeah I'm failing at this and gotta go ._.)

Why I am better than Bella from Twilight:

1. I wasn't written by Stephanie Meyer.

/slating.

Edited by Kestra15

I think we're getting into a lot of bias and opinion and assumption and popularity contest and anti-for-the-sake-of-anti and jazz here but I also see some really good points.

@ ^ : One could always say they're better than any fictional character simply because they're real in the first place.

*goes to hide*

Its in the meadow scene if I recall correctly.  >_>  Light flickers across his cheek and it sparkles and you hear the windchimes and its just.  So.  Bad.

HE SPARKLES!? Oh god, I need to stop reading...

...wait WINDCHIMES?

And for the character-better-than-bella list, I would add Draco. In fact I will.

Why Draco Malfoy (HP) is Better Than Bella

1. He cares about his family. That's been proven

2. He's from Harry Potter

3. He's just DRACO MALFOY like that

4. He has a winning smirk-a-thon that goes through the whole series

5. He didn't give Harry away at the Manor

6. He got a life. End of story.

7. Ended the rivalry as an adult (or was at least a bit more courteous)

8. Maybe he's not the bravest, maybe he did have an emo breakdown, but he's clever enough

9. His aunt is BELLATRIX LESTRANGE! How cool is that?

-crawls back under rock-

Edited by Phalo

I needs to get a vampire one in.... And I need to poke fun at Edward.

>_>

Dun question BG's poor judgment. >____________>

Reasons why Vladimir Tod is better than Edward.

1. He's the f**kin' Pravus.

2. He doesn't sparkle.

3. He has actually things to angst over. And a girl is the most miniscule of them.

4. He has amazing powers, but he doesn't take advantage of them.

5. His mind-reading isn't perfect.

6. He has fangs.

7. He's a half-vampire and he's already more of a vamp than Edward.

8. He has more than one flaw.

9. He isn't controlling or abusive in relationships. He's barely in one. Plus, he barely controls his drudge of all people. :L

10. He doesn't suck blood from the source, but he's still able to suck human blood.

Bonus points!

11. He's not a Gary-Stu. Not even close.

12. He actually has a personality.

Edited by brokenglass

I do enjoy how three of the most recent threads posted this morning are about Twilight-bashing.

Just to be a little different from everyone who acts like they're nonconforming, I don't mind twilight. It wasn't the best book I've read but it's nowhere near the worst. In fact, to an extent, I enjoyed it. The first one at least.

It's funny how her other book is completely overshadowed by twilight, which I thought was a thousand times better than the boring vampire cr-p.

how her other book is completely overshadowed by twilight, which I thought was a thousand times better than the boring vampire cr-p.

Although I haven't finished reading The Host (in *.pdf), I agree that it actually has a plot. Maybe also not the best writing you could wish for, but it's richer in suspense and less overflowing with descriptions about how this or that character is "hot" (we get it already).

Anyway. Watched New Moon on Friday for the lulz. Let's just say that it made a neutral sound and sight for a drawing I was making, and that the werewolves looked like overgrown puppies.

The Host? Not had a chance to read it, although given the quality of the Twilight series I haven't got high hopes for it.

And I'm not trying to be conformist/nonconformist when I gave my opinion of the book - that is the honest opinion I formed when I borrowed them off my housemate just after the movie came out. ;~) I've read some bad literature in my time and written some horrendous short stories myself, but Twilight looks like someone took one of my worst stories and eked it out to a quadrilogy. It is truly shocking, and some of the messages that it seems to put out are horrendous. (Sex before marriage gives you demon child! It's okay to bond with newborn babies and spend your life raising them before having sex with them! Edward is invincible - go go SHS! Bella can make her own choices, so long as they agree with the choices of everyone else!)

Although I am also slightly worried about something for The Host; main charachter's name is 'Melanie Stryder.' That looks like a very poor Spoonerism for 'Stephanie Meyer.'

Just to be a little different from everyone who acts like they're nonconforming, I don't mind twilight. It wasn't the best book I've read but it's nowhere near the worst. In fact, to an extent, I enjoyed it. The first one at least.

It's funny how her other book is completely overshadowed by twilight, which I thought was a thousand times better than the boring vampire cr-p.

Meh, I didn't mind it either. Doesn't mean I can't get my fair share of mocking in. (I do it for the fandoms I really enjoy, so why not?)

I agree, the host was a better book. Interesting plot, good characters, and you were constantly unsure of who to support; Wanda, since the book is presented from her view, or the humans.

I want to join in... Okay, this is why Commander Vimes is better than Edward.

1. He has an intelligent, tough partner and a normal son.

2. He's good guy but has flaws- like drinking- and compassion.

3. He looks like a human- no beaverbrows and sparkle for him!

4. He once beat/escaped a whole pack of werewolves. In the snow. In his undies.

5. He smokes cigars- the implicaaaaations... *gigglesnort*

6. He actually has a job, with responsibilities.

7. And a personality, with likes and dislikes.

8. And a sense of humour. A cynical one, at that.

9. And a shmexy scar.

10. He works for Lord Vetinari- come on, people. That is seriously cool!

Meh, I didn't mind it either. Doesn't mean I can't get my fair share of mocking in. (I do it for the fandoms I really enjoy, so why not?)

I agree, the host was a better book. Interesting plot, good characters, and you were constantly unsure of who to support; Wanda, since the book is presented from her view, or the humans.

Well I like to mock it as much as the next guy but to be honest, people who spend so much of their time devoted to bashing the book just annoy me. I mean the twilight sucks forum? Who wasts their time on it? As much as it would make extreme twilight bashers whine, they're as equally obsessed as the people who defend it to the death.

The Host was much better than twilight. Which is why I think people should at least give that one a chance. Twilight was her first novel, first ones can sometimes be rough.

Well I like to mock it as much as the next guy but to be honest, people who spend so much of their time devoted to bashing the book just annoy me. I mean the twilight sucks forum? Who wasts their time on it? As much as it would make extreme twilight bashers whine, they're as equally obsessed as the people who defend it to the death.

There's actually a forum devouted to *hating* Twilight?!

Wow. I suppose there really are two sides to every coin...

Well I think quite a few of them exist...

Oh my cousin Natalia was reading the Host...

I tried to read it but I kind of go really slow at reading in Spanish..

>_>

I like The Host. Much better than than Twilight. It had a better plot, better characters, though it did more or less stick to the 'NO! WOMEN = SUBORDINATE AND QUIET >:0' viewpoint.

I mean, skip to the end, and what body did Wanda get put into? dry.gif That kinda really ticked me off.

The Host was much better than twilight. Which is why I think people should at least give that one a chance. Twilight was her first novel, first ones can sometimes be rough.

I do, they actually encourage real critique of it and other books (the site's apparently undergoing a change soon to just be a general hard critique place). And it's also just a community for people with some common interests, it's not like we spend all our time just going 'it sucks'.

And I disagree with you on the host there, it's just same sh*t, different day.

Edited by Dr. Paine

I agree, I think Twilight Sucks is kinda creepy- that much energy devoted to hating something can't be good for you. But we don't obsess over hating Twilight here.

Yes, I think I need to agree with you about the Host. It was a much better novel. The problem, though, is its very different from Twilight.

My sister's a reader- although she'll ussually only like books written from a first person perspective with action or romance. She just adores Twilight. She didn't like the Host, though. I think it was too slow for her. I think a lot of Twilight fans are like that. (Not all, just most).

Then there are the other groups. There are the people who have heard of Twilight, and hate, and the people who heard of it, and don't mind it.

The people who hate it, are probably going to stay away from the book at all costs, unless they feel like mocking it. The people who don't mind it might read it- but they might not.

And then there are people who haven't heard of Twilight, and probably aren't going to hear about the Host, because its got about zero advertising.

Obviously, these groups overlap a little, but I think because its so different from Twilight, it being pushed aside by the fans, and since its linked to Twilight, the dislikers also stay away from it.