Branndi

Twilight

You're going to choose Shakespear over Wolverine? Where's your sense of culture?

tongue.gif

Just make sure you refer to stage direction, and you'll do fine.

My sense of culture sucks apparently...or is just classical. *shrug* Plus the paper's due in a day and half...Wolvie and Batman will have to wait. I am almost to page 4 of 7 though.

Hmm, if I can fit it in somewhere!

Why was that rude? I was on topic.

As I said earlier: ELABORATE. Most of us in topic may be anti's but we still want to know why you like it.

As was stated a few pages back:

Okay, once this board has to be re-made, whoever does it MUST include something to the effect of 'When posting, please explain why you like/dislike the books' in gigantic red letters on the first post.

Fine

I like twilight because I can relate to some of the characters and I like those types of books. I find Meyer's writing style very intresting, but at the same time, easy to read, plus I think Vamps are cool.

Better?

dry.gif

Fine

I like twilight because I can relate to some of the characters and I like those types of books. I find Meyer's writing style very intresting, but at the same time, easy to read, plus I think Vamps are cool.

Better?

dry.gif

Yes. happy.gif

Elaboration fuels discussion which topics are made of.

Fine

Better?

dry.gif

Somewhat.

How can you relate to the characters?

Why are these particular... creatures (I'm sorry, but moral principal prevents me from calling them vampires) so cool? What is it about the writing style you find interesting?

(We haven't had a pro-Twilight person stick around to answer these for a while.)

(We haven't had a pro-Twilight person stick around to answer these for a while.)

Ever. They always post and leave, never coming back. *shifty eyes*

If you relate to the characters, and read what this thread has to say about them and still hold all that true I feel sorry for you.

I think vampires are cool because:

1)They can suck blood

2)They don't have to sleep

3)Their pale skin color

I can relate to the characters because:

1)I am used to sunny weather(I live in Phoenix) but when I go somewhere gloomier, I feel different.

2)Like the Vampires, I am adopted (sorta)

3)I am shy like Bella

4)Like Bella, I not good at nearly every sport

I like Meyer's writing style because:

1)She makes you feel like you are there in person

2)They are easy to read

3)She describes stuff very well.

There.

Edited by aquadragon

I think vampires are cool because:

1)They can suck blood

2)They don't have to sleep

3)Their pale skin color

1)I am used to sunny weather(I live in Phoenix) but when I go somewhere gloomier, I feel different.

3)I am shy like Bella

2)They are easy to read

There.

Words can not describe the... gah, I don't even have a word for it.

You like their PALE SKIN? I, urgh, my brain.

All the things you've mentioned are either really shallow or relate to pretty much everyone on planet earth.

All the things you've mentioned are either really shallow or relate to pretty much everyone on planet earth.

Seconded.

1) They can suck blood. So you like mosquitoes too? And leeches? And tikkis? And vampire bats? I know that I hate mosquitoes.

2)They don't have to sleep. Okay, that is just in the Twilight version of vampires. Every other normal vampire sleeps, and during the day, because otherwise sunlight kills / burns them. Hey I would like to not have to sleep too, but every other vampire mythology out there has it's vampires sleeping.

3)Their pale skin color. Goths have pale skins as well. Or at least, they paint them pale. And emos. Why don't you like goths and emos as well, apart from vampires? And what about poor Scandinavian people that almost never see the light of the sun and have milk white skins? Why don't you like them as well? Especially some Swedish/Finnish men, yummm...

About the relating to characters part:

1)I live in Greece, country of sun and sea. I like it though. If you like gloomy places, good for you. Doesn't mean you are like Bella.

2) I am shy too! Extremely so, in real life. Like Hinata from Naruto, almost. Does that mean that I am like Bella too? Or Hinata?

3) I am not good at sports either. Most of us computer types/nerds/geeks aren't. Anything with balls in it makes me fail epically. I like horse riding, because there are no balls involved. It doesn't mean that I am like Bella. Or any other geek.

(What makes me different from Bella, and hopefully you, is the PRESENCE of character. And interests, and hobbies, and likes and dislikes. Bella doesn't have those.All she has is Edward. She is nothing without him.)

About the writing style...

Yes, it is written in first person POV. She's not the only one who does/did that.

What you refer to as easy to read others refer to as extremely long and boring because nothing ever happens.

About the description part.. She is abusing a thesaurus.

"He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare." <-That doesn't sound like he is sparkling.. More like he is on fire.

Also, this: http://otahyoni.livejournal.com/130432.html

I am not attacking you, just saying.

Anyone can relate to anyone if they really try, because they are bound to have something in common - even if it is hidden deep down. For example we already discovered that you and me are both shy and fail epically at sports. I can relate to that. It doesn't mean that we are very much alike as persons , though. Or that we deal with situations in the same manner. Our interests may be polar opposites, for all I know ( apart from dragon gathering teehee).

Vampires are awesome, but not HER vampires. If you want a good vampire romance/horror book, try Bram Stoker's Dracula.

And the writing.. The LJ link says everything I need to know about her writing. Please read it, it won't bite. I promise. wink.gif

Seconded.

Thirded. >.>

I smell a Twitard.

It's rather unfortunate, how many people are getting sucked into the fandom.

..I've completely moved on from Twilight. I didn't let myself become a fangirl.

I'll admit, I didn't hate the books, but I've definitely read better literature.

I did go see the movie Friday night, and it was worth it.

Sexy Taylor Lautner is sexy. ;D

And another thing: I have pale skin. But I definitely don't sparkle in the sun.

..If I did, I would never leave my house. v__v

Edited by hotarustarr

Oh I would milk sparkling for all it's worth if I did. >:3

I did go see the movie Friday night, and it was worth it.

Sexy Taylor Lautner is sexy. ;D

I just cannot stop remembering him as Sharkboy.

That was actually a pretty damn decent movie. Sure, kiddy, but in the rare good way.

And the kids who were the main inspiration for it (and helped with the casting, I know they hand-picked Lautner) are more adept at making an interesting story than Meyer.

That was actually a pretty damn decent movie. Sure, kiddy, but in the rare good way.

And the kids who were the main inspiration for it (and helped with the casting, I know they hand-picked Lautner) are more adept at making an interesting story than Meyer.

And here I was thinking I was the only person who'd seen that movie....I can hardly remember it, but the images I had were weird.

Yes, Taylor Laurence is very good looking. Wayyy hottter than Robert Patterson. (I just don't get what people see in him).

*cough*It'sLautner*cough*

...Sorry the fangirls at my school obsess over him rather than Pattinson.

Lulz my best friend Jessica said she liked him even more now because she fan-girled over him when he played Sharkboy.

...I loved that movie.

<______<

My kids were watching Shark Boy and Lava Girl the other day and I went, "I know that kid, who is that?" When I looked at the info and said Taylor Lautner I was really surprised. I can't get over how hot that ugly kid turned out!

3)I am shy like Bella

There is a very simple reason why you can relate to Bella. She's an empty shell of a character. She's only there to become Edward's girl, and demonstrates no likes, no hobbies, no personality, no nothing at all.

The other reason is the first person POV.

Both of these traits make it easy for you to relate to the character.

Along with everything added already.

2)They are easy to read

The reason why you "feel" there, is the same as the mentioned above. FIrst person POV, and the emptyness of the characters.

They are easy to rea because nothing happens, nothing makes you think. You just stroll through the pages, without actually stopping to meditate about it. I have actually found myself thinking something else while reading extensive passages of pointless chit chatter.

She does not describe stuff well, as stated above. Show, don't tell.

I don't know what's wrong with TV generation people, but I don't need pages and pages of description to get an idea of what's going on in a book, or what characters look like.

For example, JK Rowling has the most ambiguous descriptions of her characters. Simple, leaving most to the imagination.

What's funny about Rowling is, most fan art (to not say all), portrait the characters just the same. She was able to express her idea through simple, brief descriptions, leaving most to the imagination.

The abuse of descriptions (as a writer, I know, I've been there), is a very common trait in amateur, unexperienced authors. She, the same as Paolini, abuses descriptions, placing quantity over quality. Both author's books would be reduced to 100 pages without the endless descriptions, because that's what they are used for, not to describe, but to fill.

Some incredible books I've read, which had just the right ammount of descriptions, would go from classics, like Cervantes' Don Quijote de la Mancha, to Artemis Fowl, and the one I'm reading now, the second book from Dresden Files.

El Quijote is rather large, but full of substance.

The other two are short, but equally complete, and action filled.

Unlike Meyer or Paolini's, which are tedious, long blocks of thesaurus abuse.

An example of a large book, without much description, would be the Swarm (that one's a little complex for younger kids), or Orphans of Evil (it was Blegh, but serves as an example).

Reading through Meyer's writing made me cringe, and it was in Spanish (which means I have not seen the mistakes in writing some of you have). Long, endless pages of flowery, purple prose (which is not a good thing).

That's only talking about the books writing. If we go to the content, it simply enrages me. As I've stated somewhere along this thread, I have had the luck to get out of an abusive relationship, which is the same sort of relationship portrayed in the books. It was not romantic, nor lovely, nor anything. It was creepy, sad, and pushed me to depression, and trauma which I've still not overcome.

That was what really irked me about the books, and what enraged me about Edward's character, and the moral values Meyer was selling to teenagers and adults alike.

EDIT;

Curiosity pulled me into reading the article in Wikipedia. Watch this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Saga

Stephenie Meyer says that the idea for Twilight came to her in a dream on June 2, 2003. The dream was about a human girl, and a vampire who was in love with her but thirsted for her blood. Based on this dream, Meyer wrote the transcript of what is now chapter 13 of the book.[20] Despite having very little writing experience, in a matter of three months she had transformed that dream into a completed novel.[18] After writing and editing the novel, she signed a three-book deal with Little, Brown and Company for $750,000, an unusually high amount for a first time author;[21] Megan Tingley, the editor who signed Meyer, says that halfway through the reading manuscript she realized that she had a future bestseller in her hands.[22] The book was released in 2005.

3 months? It takes me a whole year to put together the first draft. 2 to have a complete book in my hands, and I still feel like ripping it down!

Laura Miller of Salon.com wrote that "the characters, such as they are, are stripped down to a minimum, lacking the texture and idiosyncrasies of actual people", and said that "Twilight would be a lot more persuasive as an argument that an 'amazing heart' counts for more than appearances if it didn't harp so incessantly on Edward's superficial splendors."[69] Miller also accused the series of sexism in its portrayal of female characters, most notably Bella Swan's obsessive behavior relating to Edward Cullen and the emphasis on his romantic hero status.[69] Meyer has dismissed such criticisms, arguing both that the books center around Bella's choice, which she perceives as the foundation of modern feminism, and that Bella's damsel in distress persona is due only to her humanity.[70] Meyer also added, "Just because [bella] doesn't do kung fu and she cooks for her father doesn't make her worthy of that criticism".[71]

Now she's a little over protective with her characters.

And that sentence just killed me.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Bella is faaaaaaar from being a feminist icon in any sense, and I'm one of the people who does hold up that it's all about the freedom of choice.

Because really, Bella had /no/ choice. She never seemed to make an active decision in anything, or if she did, it was overruled by the boys.

-head/desk-

Excuse me while I go back to writing the novel I am seeing as less of a sack of carp..

Kung fu Bella rawr. But she would only do it for Edward. Lol.

That reminds me of the tiny bit of rawr-Bella in Breaking Dawn when she's waiting for something to happen (SPOILER ALERT: IT DOESN'T.) and she's thinking and somehow gets this insane murderous urge to kill all of them (the Volturi and guard). But no, she stays perfectly still and totally immobile because she's holding her daughter and she has to stay back and be a shield.

@Paine: The only thing she did choose was something like 'Edward. sex.' but even then he was like 'nooooooo I'm gonna make you do the one thing you absolutely despise first' and for some reason she's like 'ffffff-yes.'

But no, she stays perfectly still and totally immobile

Why does that not surprise me... :/

She can't even get any before going through fire and ice. And lightning and lava. Even if she wants so. Hrrrr. >>

Bella should have Kung Fu kicked Edward in the balls and found someone else.

Bella should have Kung Fu kicked Edward in the balls and found someone else.

Probably woulda broken her foot to go along with her hand. *snicker*

They did have sex though. He just makes her marry him. Which she would have loved if she didn't have this irrational fear of marrying young because of her mother. Which is totally irrational because the books are all 'yeah her mom is a COMPLETE DITZ but she has this AMAZING child-like intuition and immaturity that gives her epic insight', but Bella is supposedly mucho mature and totally dedicated to Ed so marriage shouldn't have been a big deal.

Probably woulda broken her foot to go along with her hand. *snicker*

Hrrrr I would pay to see that. X3

They did have sex though. He just makes her marry him.

Yes because if you have sex with someone without being married you are the ***** of the devil and shall burn in Hell for all eternity.

Also you should never, ever have an abortion even if your child is KILLING you.

What healthy messages! biggrin.gif

*huggles True Blood*

Oh I just saw New Moon today! It made me think of how long it's been since I've read the books.

I love the werewolves. smile.gif