Branndi

Twilight

Hmmmm…Seems to me that you just do not like the way she writes…

Yes Bella did have guys drooling over her, but only once she moved!! Also I guess that any girl that has guys drooling over them is a Mary sue now…WOW didn’t know that…

Yes the Cullens were rich, but that does not mean that Bella is a Mary Sue!! By no means…

No there is only one type f Werewolves in the book…The children of the moon are werelwoves not Jacob and his family…They are shapshifters.

No one is perfect…I should know I have been writing a book for at least 5 years…I keep changing it to make sure it is right…Getting a rejection letter does not mean the book is bad…It means that they can not use it at that point. Have you ever gotten one and know what it does to you?? Seriously!!!

No writer in there right mind would want to see someone bashing a book if they did not read it. Being one I can say that with all rights…I can also say that if you wanted people to bash your writing then something really wrong.

As for Wikipedia it can be changed by anyone…So do not always go by what it says.

Mary Sues are the beautiful -even if they call themselves 'plain'- girls who get evrerything handed to them on a silver platter and oly go through the smallest amounts of tribulation. Let's see...

In fact most mary sue do call themselves plain but are described as being beautiful. I gess the idea is, "oh she has low self esteem so you should feel bad for her!" :|

Hmmmm…Seems to me that you just do not like the way she writes…

Yes Bella did have guys drooling over her, but only once she moved!! Also I guess that any girl that has guys drooling over them is a Mary sue now…WOW didn’t know that…

Yes the Cullens were rich, but that does not mean that Bella is a Mary Sue!! By no means…

No there is only one type f Werewolves in the book…The children of the moon are werelwoves not Jacob and his family…They are shapshifters.

No one is perfect…I should know I have been writing a book for at least 5 years…I keep changing it to make sure it is right…Getting a rejection letter does not mean the book is bad…It means that they can not use it at that point. Have you ever gotten one and know what it does to you?? Seriously!!!

No writer in there right mind would want to see someone bashing a book if they did not read it. Being one I can say that with all rights…I can also say that if you wanted people to bash your writing then something really wrong.

As for Wikipedia it can be changed by anyone…So do not always go by what it says.

If it's just about every guy in the area? Yeah, that qualifies for at least half a Sue point. And I really wouldn't mind it that much IF BELLA SEEMED TO BE A GOOD CHARACTER. But from every single thing I've read, from Wiki to the fan posts on Deviant art, to what my own mother's friends -who are twenty or older- have said, Bella is just the classic girl who's only there to be pushed around.

If Jacob is a shape-shifter, then why is he always called a werewolf?

.... Alright, I concede the rejection letter point to you.

And any writter who does /not/ want their work shot at a few times is expecting way too much of it.

Alright I will give you half a point on that one...but that does not make her a Mary Sue!!

I am 30 and I can say that it was something to read and it kept me reading for a little while...I do not pick up a book to read unless I find it to have something good in it...Yes it could have used more detail in certain areas...

Because that is what he thinks he is...The shape that was chosen was before he was born and they were told they wre werewolves, but in truth they where not...

I want me work to be read and to be liked...I can say that I hate it when someone bashs something without reading it...I mean how can you go by what others say. So many people have there own opions about books. There is not way to put your two cents in if you did not read it...

To be honest!!

If you're so sure that Bella's not Mary Sueish, why don't you try putting her through this?

Edited by Kakuchan

HA OMG you went there...Fine you all win and you can put here there but I still say she is not...And is she is then all the people I have ever RPed with are Mary Sue's as well

Not to mention that most of the others I know are too..Which is crazy.

But the questions on there would not put me or anyone I know in Mary Sue..But I do not want to end up banded for causing a fight...

that mary sue test is pretty harsh...but does bella have any personality at all? what does she like besides edward? is her only fault clumsiness (and of course stupidity and shallowness? so the boy has pimples...he deserves a shunning?)

i personally dislike Twilight very much and it's kind of sad how my friends think it's so wonderful.

HA OMG you went there...Fine you all win and you can put here there but I still say she is not...And is she is then all the people I have ever RPed with are Mary Sue's as well

Not to mention that most of the others I know are too..Which is crazy.

But the questions on there would not put me or anyone I know in Mary Sue..But I do not want to end up banded for causing a fight...

The Sue test is harsh, but very good when you're developing characters. So far, all of mine hit the 13-20 range.

Bella is a horribly two dimensional character, and again, this is just from asking/reading detailed summaries. x.x You all better pray I don't read the books or I'll be even worse.

okay I might stand alone here, but I like bella. a lot. infact she is my favorite charecter in the twilight series, I don't think I could read a story from a first persons perspective if I didn't like said person. its Bella's story.

and yes, she has a personality!

Bella is first and formost a care giver. she took care of her mom as if she was the parent and her mother the child. she puts others happiness before her own, hence moving to forks. she enjoys taking care of people, like cooking, and is thrown off when others try to take care of her, including Edward.

she's shy and never had any close friends growing up, saying that her mother is her best friend. her main interest are reading (mostly the classics) and music. that doesn't mean she doesn't have a personality.

the whole concept of the story is the obsessive love between her and Edward, it affects him just as much as it does her. they become each others entire world from the word go, and while its not realistic or you know healthy, its fantasy! and its a fantastic read.

I disliked the story before I read it as well, even gave my teenage sister greif over it until one day she was just told me to shut up and read it.

I love the over all story arc that they were fated to be together and the journey that Bella makes from defenseless human to (SPOILER ALERT) powerful vampire with powers that frighten the voltori, as if she was never meant to be human.

also I read somewhere that Meyers said from a scale from 1-10 bella was like a 5 in pheonix and a 8 in the small town. so she is pretty but her main apeal to the boys of forks is that they were never around her growing up.

wow long post, glad I got that off my back and to those who don't like Bella, I wont hold it against you. <3

I absolutely love Mrs. Meyer's writing style, as well as her characters. They're very believable. I love almost everything about her writing.

I just can't stand the last chapter of Breaking Dawn. It was so... anticlimactic. And I can't stand what she did with Jacob. I believe she should have done more with his story.

I gotta agree with snuggle****. I wasn't sure I'd get into the books when my friend first told me about them (even though I love Buffy/Angel), but I bought the first one, and it took me a bit, but I eventually fell in love with it. I hated most of the second one, mostly because of the lack of Edward and the whinyness of Bella. The third wasn't as bad, though I came close to tears in some parts. Breaking Dawn had my ROFLing several times. And by the second book, I had convinced myself there wasn't going to be a good ending to the books, but even though it was admittedly kind of a stupid way around the broken hearts, I still thought it was pretty good.

I absolutely love Mrs. Meyer's writing style, as well as her characters. They're very believable. I love almost everything about her writing.

I just can't stand the last chapter of Breaking Dawn. It was so... anticlimactic. And I can't stand what she did with Jacob. I believe she should have done more with his story.

I agree it was extremey anticlimatic but at the same time I was so happy no one died! I mead if there had been a fight i'd say over half of either side win or lose would die, at least and I just wouldn't of been able to handle that kind of loss.

Honestly, I would have rather had someone die (as long as it wasn't the Cullens...unless it was Bella or Nessie dry.gif) and have a fight than what we got in Breaking Dawn. Honestly, that was one of the most boring scenes and there was no life to it what so ever.

I love Twilight, honestly.

The third book was my favourite, and Alice is my favourite character, followed closely by Emmett.

I don't hate Bella, but I don't particularly like her.

I love Renesmee to pieces and I'm shocked that anyone could feel differently.

Seth is my favourite wolf, followed by Leah, and Embry. And, Angela's pretty cool, too.

The second book, I think, is why I hate Edward... I dunno, I'm not exactly sure he I started disliking him...

I thought Breaking Dawn was great, but I do understand the other points.

In response to the lack of action in BD, I must say, I don't read Twilight for the action scenes. I read it for the fantasy and romance, so the end of BD didn't bother me...

Anyway, I love Twilight, but for the people who don't like it much and want a 'better' vampire book, I suggest the Blood Ties series by Jennifer Armintrout. It, according to my friend, has more action than the Twilight series, and is better written... I haven't read it yet, but I really want to. (I'm getting book 1 for my birthday) I should warn, though, that there are very many, very graphic love scenes in the Blood Ties books...

The Southern Vampire Series by Charmaine Harris is better, and its been adapted into a series by HBO, try googling trueblood, and you'll see a lot of youtube clips they're great.

I liked the series, the only thing that bothered me about Bella was that she spoke like an adult. You can say she's introverted, but it doesn't account for her manner of speaking, it just wasn't like most highschoolers. Add that to her Sue-ishness...meh. It was ok though, when I ignored the characters age I was able to just enjoy the plot and roll with it xp.

And yeah she is a bit of a Sue, but that's ok too.

And for those who argue about rpg's, they can't take the same sue test. The first question on those tests is about character name, and lots of us base our characters on ourselves, giving them nicknames or names we wish we had, so I try not to apply them to my characters. One of the main differences between my rpg characters and most sues is..even though mine try to be very perfect and Hermione-like, they usually screw something up majorly at some point, have some major flaws, and are often unintentionally funny, usually being slow on the uptake (not stupid), just not so quick to catch onto cues in their social interactions, making them jump to the wrong conclusion, often with sitcom like results. xp

and yes, she has a personality!

We'll see.

Bella is first and formost a care giver. she took care of her mom as if she was the parent and her mother the child. she puts others happiness before her own, hence moving to forks. she enjoys taking care of people, like cooking, and is thrown off when others try to take care of her, including Edward.

No she isn't. She's anything but. She's whiny, she complained a lot. She wants things HER way. That is not caring. That is SELFISH. She "took care" of her mom, yes, but what makes that completely unbelieveable is it's written like she's taken care of her mother all her life, even as an infant. She does NOT put her own happiness before everyone elses. She takes Jacob's away by going back to him over and over in order to keep herself happy. She taunted the poor boy as if he had a chance, and crushed him over and over. She blows over friendly people because she thinks they aren't worth her time.

She cooks because she feels she HAS to. Not because she wants to. Despite the display of revolutionary cooking skill Charlie has, I can guarantee he didn't spend 17 years eating take-out and donuts. That man has to have some cooking skill, and he's completely torn down by Meyer's awesome writing ability.

She moved to Forks and wouldn't stop complaining, and continued to complain when people did nice things for her. She should have sucked it up and taken everything as it came, because it's more selfish to go "omg, he got me a car. D:<" when they went through the trouble to get the car in the first place.

You believe what Meyer TELLS you, but not what she shows. The few instances of her supposed "generosity" do not balance out the times she's been a completely selfish and manipulative little biatch.

she's shy and never had any close friends growing up, saying that her mother is her best friend. her main interest are reading (mostly the classics) and music. that doesn't mean she doesn't have a personality.

She treats her mother like ****. So much for generosity. She moves from her mother to have a life, and Edward has to force her to go see her in Florida. How is THAT for a daughter? You call her selfless? You think she's still her mother's best friend? She wants Edward and Edward only. She could care less about her friends and family outside the vampire coven.

She reads the classics and compares them to her life with Edward. More horrible comparisons with Meyer!

I still don't think he has a viable personality.. a personality anyone would like, anyway. I feel sorry for Edward. I feel sorry for the fans that believe the dribble that Meyer spews. Bella is nothing like she claimes.

the whole concept of the story is the obsessive love between her and Edward, it affects him just as much as it does her. they become each others entire world from the word go, and while its not realistic or you know healthy, its fantasy! and its a fantastic read.

Fantasy does not justify the lask of realism. Fantasy is not a lack of realism anyway. Regardless of your views, the fact of the matter is that young girls are throwing away people they know in real life for a fictional character that isn't a good man to begin with. He's emotionally controlling, he's stalkerish, he's egocentric. It's NOT healthy, but girls are looking at the relationship as something desirable! Whether you want to believe it or not, most abusive relationships are done in the name of love, but it's a possessive, twisted and sick kind of love. To say that "he's only protecting her" does nothing to get rid of the fact his actions are abusive. I don't give a **** if it's fantasy. She set it in the real world, added some elements of fantasy... it has to have some realism!

I disliked the story before I read it as well, even gave my teenage sister greif over it until one day she was just told me to shut up and read it.

I love the over all story arc that they were fated to be together and the journey that Bella makes from defenseless human to (SPOILER ALERT) powerful vampire with powers that frighten the voltori, as if she was never meant to be human.

This is one of the reason's Bella is a sue. She's transformed in TWO DAYS, which is a super short time to turn. She has no cravings of a newborn, and has the control of a century-old vampire. She gets all the credit for winning the ending battle, when there was hardly a battle to begin with. THroughout the story, everyone loves her, and she in turn treats everyone like trash. They love her anyway.

also I read somewhere that  Meyers said from a scale from 1-10 bella was like a 5 in pheonix and a 8 in the small town. so she is pretty but her main apeal to the boys of forks is that they were never around her growing up.

wow long post, glad I got that off my back and to those who don't like Bella, I wont hold it against you. <3

I'm so glad Meyer can run her sue through a beauty test and say she's high up in a small town. :/

I gave the books a chance. I liked them before they were popular, back when I was 14. I am now 17, and I hate the series with a burning passion because I feel I grew up. I advanced in my abilities to analyze and critique writing. I know how to develop characters, I know how to progress plots, and I know how to lead up to a conclusion, pull off a great climax and in the end supply a decent ending.

Sure, not everyone will like the ending, but at least my story isn't laden with superfluous purple prose, 1-dimensional characters and a half-done plot. (Before you tell me to get a novel published then come back, don't worry. I am. :/)

300 pages of "OMG EDWARD IS HOT" and a last 100 pages of "rawr I want to kill bella!" do not a plotline make. After actually reading between the lines at the messages being sent and learning more about literature, I have learned that in all honesty, Twilight is undeserving of a place in "classic literature."

Most classics are are what they are because of fantastic writing, or extremely well thought-out messages. They convey feelings of things, they teach us morals..

Twilight does none of the above, except serve as wish-fullfillment for girls to step into Bella's shoes as a special sue and fall in love with an abusive, sparkly vampire.

Are we still discussing the many things people hate about Twilight? Lol

Well I still don't care what any of you say, I love it! tongue.gif

Well, sue or not, everyone has different opinions. I ain't gona join the fray and go all 'Bella's not a sue! she's perfect!' and blablabla cause even I think that, even at all, she should've at LEAST NOT have perfect control over her cravings. But even so, I like the series. =D

im not an obsessed fan but i did enjoy the books,one of the most interesting twilight flame comments was that edward is a stalker.i can see both sides of the arguments and i am on the neutral side in this.

im not an obsessed fan but i did enjoy the books,one of the most interesting twilight flame comments was that edward is a stalker.i can see both sides of the arguments and i am on the neutral side in this.

He's, as definitely evidenced by the books, not just a Stalker With A Crush. That's not always a bad thing, actually. It could have been interesting, creepily enough.

But what he is is actually rather abusive. He drops Bella like a hot potato once and she, the "caregiver", loses all hope and care for the world, and completely melts into a catatonic state, basically.

He knows about the effect he has on her, yet he leaves her on her own. I know people quarrel, and there are a lot of factors.

One, because Bella is a weak character, and spontaneously collapses without him; two, because Meyer has made him wonderfully special and sparkly and all that; and three, because real people do fight.

There are other factors, too, a whole interesting army of them.

Edward is so incredibly unrealistic that his interactions with the characters, and even the characters themselves become blurred.

He also has half-hearted manipulative behavior.

He barely has a personality, which is probably what leads everyone to fill in the blanks with how wonderful he is.

Awful. Just awful.

I despise Edward. He is -repeats everything bad said about him so far-. {I'm too lazy to type it all out with the On-Screen Keyboard...} And Bella. She annoys me and I wanna slap her sometimes... More often than not...

I love Alice, Emmett, Embry, Jacob, Esme, Angela, and Rosalie. Yes, I like Rosalie. I think she's awesome! Alice, Emmett, and Embry are my top three, though...

I adored the books. Except for New Moon. I hate that book. Eclipse is my favourite, it's full of awesome!

Ah, I'll edit this after I eat with more. Right now, I'M HUNGRY!!!

EDIT: Okay! Just finished eating! Now, I'm gonna jump into the Twilight movie! I think it looks quite good, and I'm really excited! My friend was skeptical at first, but the new trailer changed her mind. We're both super psyched now! I like the choices for Bella, Jacob, and Embry {wub.gif} but not so much for Alice, Rosalie, and Edward... The rest I'm kind of impartial to...

I'll probably come back and edit/respond if I think of anything else...

Edited by nekoinu525

Yay Twilight~ Edward, Jasper and Carlisle are my favorites! > U<

I liked the 1st and 3rd books best...

I really wasn't much of a Jacob fan, so New Moon was like BAAAAH.

Breaking Dawn made me go -FACEPALM- a lot, but I still enjoyed it. <3

It made me like Jacob a lot more. :3

I can't wait for the movie!

I'm not expecting anything amazing, so I don't get disappointed...

but it does look good from what I've seen so far! <3

But what he is is actually rather abusive.  He drops Bella like a hot potato once and she, the "caregiver", loses all hope and care for the world, and completely melts into a catatonic state, basically.

He knows about the effect he has on her, yet he leaves her on her own.  I know people quarrel, and there are a lot of factors. 

One, because Bella is a weak character, and spontaneously collapses without him; two, because Meyer has made him wonderfully special and sparkly and all that; and three, because real people do fight.

I really have to disagree with you here. I mean, it was fairly obvious early on why he left Bella. I knew why he left right -after- he left. It certainly wasn't because he wanted to, or because they had a fight or something. You've heard of taking a bullet for the one you love, I'm sure? It's basically the same concept, just that sometimes "bullets" come in different shapes and sizes. It was the only thing he could think of to do to keep her safe, short of killing himself. I hardly think of him as abusive for what he did. I think that's just one incident that shows you that he really isn't as perfect as he might he seem and that he's capable of making mistakes.