Branndi

Twilight

Well, what if you had an awesome character in your book, and people just happened to like him just as much? Meyer didnt expect this much fandom. Im sure she wouldv'e cut him down a bit if she knew people were saying they wanted his sparkley babies |:

Basically this.

I was answering to this point of the conversation (obviously). While remarking how cardboard cuts Twilight characters are.

Personally, I found the book to be boring, the characterisation to be almost non-existent and the vampires to be downright strange. Frankly, Edward Cullen doesn't emote lust as much as the desire to vomit. He's an emotionally abusive borderline psychopath with the depth of a puddle under a blowlamp. Frankly, smelling nice is only a prerequisite for love if one is the narrator of a particularly unstable Carol Anne Duffy poem.

Meyer's writing, I think e're all agreed, is shoddy to say the least. However, I think that some of her ideas for differentiating her vampires from the norm were sound in principle. However, like a dodgy hangman, the execution let her down. The change-of-appearance in direct sunlight wasn't that bad an idea, but it should've been to something like, say, how they would look if they hadn't been vampirised. Corpses and the like. Instead we got a good dose of body glitter and the distinct impression that this is nought but the masturbatory fantasy of a sexually frustrated housewife. Yawn.

BORDERLINE psychopathic?

Have you read the part of Breaking Dawn she's posted?

1. He OILS HER WINDOW so she won't hear him sneaking into her room.

2. To quote Cleolinda of Livejournal:

So then they're out in the parking lot and he's admiring her porcelain complexion in the drizzle or whatever, and probably the ickiest thing in the entire history of Edward stalking Bella casually saunters through, and the reason it's so creepy is because it's so subtle, and realistic, and unintended:

"And then she started to walk away from me.

Without thinking about my action, I reached out and caught her by the back of her rain jacket. She jerked to a stop.

'Where do you think you're going?' I was almost angry that she was leaving me. I hadn't had enough time with her. She couldn't go, not yet."

Everybody reading this, I want you to go get a copy of The Gift of Fear right now. RIGHT NOW. Beg, borrow, buy, steal, I don't care. I have met at least three different versions of this guy, y'all, and in the real world he is BAD NEWS.

3. He then PICKS THE KEY TO HER HOUSE OUT OF HER POCKET. Why? He can get in through the window. :/ Sorry, that was her truck key. We'll replace this with mental-semi-stalking her in Whatsit, the other town where she and her friends went shopping (was it Seattle?).

He's...WAY too obsessive. (So is she, but in a not psychopathic-stalker way.)

Edited by Kyatenaru

Is that extract from the new book Meyer was planning? The one from Eddie's POV?

GEEEEEEZE, someone should give that woman a couple of lessons on real life.

Yep. The first half or so is available on her website. x3 I'm reading it now, eheh...

I have to wonder why, if ya'll HATE the books so much, why you bother reading them? I mean, if I read the first book of a series and hate it; I DO NOT read the rest of them. Why torture yourself?

I haven't read any of the books yet and I don't know if I ever will. It seems like anyone who reads it must have an opinion other than 'It was alright. Now what's for lunch?'

I don't want people attacking me for loving/hating a book. Seems stupid.

I haven't read any of the books yet and I don't know if I ever will. It seems like anyone who reads it must have an opinion other than 'It was alright. Now what's for lunch?'

Makes complete sense. I sit on the borderline. It was good. Not great. Not amazing, definitely not brilliant. But it was good.

Good enough for me to read all of them and not feel like it was a total waste of time. The writing could be better. She has pretty good ideas but does not execute them as well as other authors.

Well, the 1st book was *mildly* entertaining, however, the characters are completely blank. Completely.

Started The Host today, it seems much more promising, but time (and reading) will tell.

I'd like to know how The Host is. Come back and give feed back please. *offers cookies*

And I cannot stop staring at your avi. It's visual crack. blink.gif

I was entertained by the first book. And in the second one, I liked Jacob (the only interesting character), which were the reasons I read the books, just to know if he will end up with the girl.

The first three books were bad, as if fanfiction bad. But mildly entertaining to spend an afternoon next to the pool.

The fourth book was written by a newby, 10 year old, who had neer written a book before. Reminds me SOOOOO much to the first book I wrote...

Exactly my point. Literally, exactly what my thoughts on the matter. If someone brings up the book and I don't end up saying "It was one of the worst books I've ever read" or "Oh gee it was so awesome I just can't wait for the next book", it almost instantly leads to a "You're one of them?!" situation.

Why can't average books just be average, goddamnit?

In my most honest opinion, twilight is perhaps the most poorly-written book I have ever read. There is a lack of plot, character development and...well...quality. I understand and respect those who enjoy the book, and who respect that I don't, but I cannot tolerate twitards who think it is acceptable to attack somone for their views. Plus this newfound religion they have created...Cullenism, is it? I...I really don't know how to comment...

Oh, and apparently the host is exactly the same as twilight, except the vampires are swapped with aliens, though I'm only going on what I've seen and heard.

Edited by Tirael

Why can't average books just be average, goddamnit?

Average books are average to you. To others they are simply loose stool water of the very worst kind. Still others think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Having an opinion on a book you've read is fine by me. Trying to convert others to your view on that book loudly and with threats of physical violence, that grates with me. The fanbase's militant edges completely ruined an already (to me) badly-written, badly thought out, badly executed... sod it, I think it's a bad book. I think the hardcore fangirls make it dreadful, and the fact that some of them are thirty-year-old women makes it a lot bloody worse.

But it's their choice. I'd never dispute someone's choice. But the freedom of choice comes hand in hand with the freedom to suffer the consequences, as a great (fictional) statesman once said. For Twi-hards, the consequence is my ridicule.

Seriously, something's gone badly bloody wrong when a girl in her early teens starts fapping in the middle of a film.

I have to wonder why, if ya'll HATE the books so much, why you bother reading them? I mean, if I read the first book of a series and hate it; I DO NOT read the rest of them. Why torture yourself?

Unfortunately, I have an obsession where I absolutely MUST finish the entire book series or else I'll have nagging in my mind going, "What happened next? What happened to _____?"...

It's really annoying, those nagging feelings. wink.gif

Unfortunately, I have an obsession where I absolutely MUST finish the entire book series or else I'll have nagging in my mind going, "What happened next? What happened to _____?"...

It's really annoying, those nagging feelings. wink.gif

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I just can't do that to myself. I think there has only been one series that I started where I was like OMG that was horrible. Now I couldn't even tell you the name of it. But I didn't pick up the rest.

I've even read books that were so bad that once finished I had to pick up an old reliable that I've read twenty times just to erase the bad taste and try to rebuild braincells.

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I just can't do that to myself. I think there has only been one series that I started where I was like OMG that was horrible. Now I couldn't even tell you the name of it. But I didn't pick up the rest.

I've even read books that were so bad that once finished I had to pick up an old reliable that I've read twenty times just to erase the bad taste and try to rebuild braincells.

Lol.

The good thing is, when I read a bad book and can't find the next one in the series, I quit reading it altogether.

Or, if I happen to come into looking range for the next book, I pretend I didn't see it.

For some reason, my brain sees Twilight >:o

Lol.

The good thing is, when I read a bad book and can't find the next one in the series, I quit reading it altogether.

Or, if I happen to come into looking range for the next book, I pretend I didn't see it.

For some reason, my brain sees Twilight >:o

*pets*

Twilight calls to you. It actually stands up and shouts. A person can't get away from Twilight just like you can't escape the fact that no matter what line you get in at the store it's the one that has the person in front of you with a problem, a lack of money counting ability, or the register with the lack of change. It's inevitable.

Someone asked me today if I had read twilight. I said no. Judging from the look on their face, I may as well of said I had pig flu.

Having an opinion on a book you've read is fine by me. Trying to convert others to your view on that book loudly and with threats of physical violence, that grates with me. The fanbase's militant edges completely ruined an already (to me) badly-written, badly thought out, badly executed... sod it, I think it's a bad book. I think the hardcore fangirls make it dreadful, and the fact that some of them are thirty-year-old women makes it a lot bloody worse.

And the anti-twitards are just as bad. The vitriol is much worse than the anti-Shurtagal folks. I've never met an annoying Twilight fan, but anti-twitards on the other hand. Good grief, they need to read something else.

In my most honest opinion, twilight is perhaps the most poorly-written book I have ever read.

Then you don't read a lot. I keep telling people, it's not the worst book ever. I've read much, much worse. The very first book is a truly average book. And I'm not saying this is just "an opinion." I've evaluated it, plot, characters, writing, etc... It's average. It's good to kill an afternoon to if you like light, shallow pop fiction and teen romances. It's certainly not worth all the popularity it's getting, so I can see why some people might complain and disparage its value. But it's not on the bottom, either.

The rest of the books in the series, dur hur hur, collapse in quality, each one worse than the one it follows. But that's a different post altogether, lolololol.

Oh, and apparently the host is exactly the same as twilight, except the vampires are swapped with aliens, though I'm only going on what I've seen and heard.

Okay, now I'll have to call you out. Please, please read a book before you make such a judgment on it. The second opinions of The Host are that it's different from Twilight, so find out for yourself first.

Some people just read the series to complain about them. It can be very fun *critic* Some don't even read the books before they hop on the bash-wagon.

Some of us actually found the books genuinely entertaining (like me!), except we're honest about the quality of the books. They're not good.

Edited by Essais

I was mildly entertained by the first book, which I happened to get from the library. I was amused by Jacob's character in the second book (the only character that was worth it, until he became a pedophile).

But the third and fourth.... geeze.

No, I won't talk about the Host, as I've never read it. But from the opinions, the summary, and what some friends have told me about it, I just know I'm not going to like it.

No, I read her four pieces of junk, but I just can't cope with reading something else about her.

I do have to say, however, that even although the books are just horrendous... Paolini's books, although better written, are much more tedious.

Meyer writes in such a newby way, the books are easy to read.

Paolini just chokes you with endless, futile, and unimportant descriptions of EVERYTHING, leaving nothing to reader imagination.

And the anti-twitards are just as bad. The vitriol is much worse than the anti-Shurtagal folks. I've never met an annoying Twilight fan, but anti-twitards on the other hand. Good grief, they need to read something else.

Never met an annoying fan?

Then you're lucky. The hardcore gather at conventions and cosplay convincingly (i.e. they look like hideous extras from an Elton John live show when the man was at his very campest) but they are rarely seen on other occasions, possibly because they've become convinced they're Meyerpires, possibly because they have only the faintest recollection of what 'outside' is. They are around, sir, and to claim otherwise is either uninformed or a downright lie.

Whilst I'll admit that the Anti community can be harsh on occasion, so can the Pro community. We've made sarcastic remarks about the books and the fans at frankly unnecessary length. They've spouted homophobic abuse and killed a seven-year-old's pet fish. We're both around, we're both just as bad.

Some people just read the series to complain about them. It can be very fun *critic* Some don't even read the books before they hop on the bash-wagon.

Some of us actually found the books genuinely entertaining (like me!), except we're honest about the quality of the books. They're not good.

I agree. I like to play critic myself. I just do believe the Anit-Twilight goes a little beyond just playing criticism. I have read some horrible books and given my opinion but not so far as to put up pics of the actor with his eyes x'd out, or wish them harm even in jest.

And I agree as well that the books were entertaining, just not brilliantly executed. Hopefully she becomes a better writer as time goes on.

I wonder if the author of Twilight gets kicks out of knowing how debated her books are.

I wonder if the author of Twilight gets kicks out of knowing how debated her books are.

I would if I was her. Those omgiloveedwardsoooooooooomuch fans can be pretty funny sometimes. Same with the omgtwilightsuckssobadthativeneeveractuallyreadit anti-twilight people.

Free publicity for her though. I never would have heard of twilight if I hadn't read someone flaming it on the 'nets. I bet lots of people read the flames and decide to read the books just to see what the fuss is about.