Branndi

Twilight

I haven’t read the books yet so I can’t really form a fair opinion of them, but I really don’t get the appeal. I hear people rave about them, but when I ask what it’s about my strongest impression is that it was written by a teenage girl. It has the exact same drama I’ve run into in many fanfics. In fact, that is exactly what I thought it was when I over heard one of my co-workers talk about it, which surprised me because they didn’t strike me as the fanfic type. At best, it sounds like it could be a pg-13 version of Laura Hamilton’s recent Anita Blake books, and while the series was one of my favorites I’m getting tired of the character angst which has come to span the majority of the series.

However, this is just the opinion I’ve gotten of it. My mother is also looking at the series and while we don’t agree a 100% on the books we read, I can still usually tell how I’ll feel about a book by what she says about it. If I think I may enjoy the book, I’ll read it. If I find I was wrong, I’ll come back and apologize for my hasty judgment. I don’t know what the likelihood of that happening is though.

this is just my opinion okay so don't flame me. i think twilight is the worst piece of trash i ever tried to read. the stephenie meyer really should get her hands off her thesaurus.

Bella is the most annoying person on the planet and Edward id the most abusive person ever. I don't get how some people like their relationship, its not healthy. If i woke up months every night SCREAMING i think that there was something wrong with me, obsessive much?

puzzycat- i agree with you, the books should not have even been published. She doesn't know how to write and her characters are all over the place.

Have you realized that all Bella can say about Edward is that he is beautiful, its just about looks and nothing about his personality.

I had a little hope for the books after the first three, but then Nessie happened. I don't really want to go into the fourth book because i would be here forever.

Umm, do you fans know the reason why Edward was able to have children, it was because Stephanie Meyer got her research WRONG and made him an incubus. Which is actually a demon which rapes girls in their dream, so i don't know what she was thinking. An incubus may pursue sexual relations with a woman in order to father a child, BINGO there's Nessie.

OK rant over, sorry to any fans and i don't mean anything disrespecting towards you. Freedom of speech tongue.gif

Ah, I suppose I'll reply to this topic. It does say to explain why you hate it so here goes:

It is a badly written self-insertion Mary Sue.

Bella is pretty, pale, perfect etcetera etcetera which, in the beginning led me to believe she was a vampire until the books disproved me on that issue. She obsesses over a guy who has never spoken to her and has no chemistry with. As soon as a nice guy comes along she pushes him away because he's 'nerdy' or not as hot as Edward.

She is retarted or something. She doesn't run screaming from something that could bend her in half with a flick of his finger. She doesn't seem to have the common flight of fight response that us normal human beings have programmed into us. Honestly, I hope she never breeds because her offspring would die immediately in this world.

Edward is dead and he's sparkly. He is the antithesis of vampires everywhere. Vampires don't SPARKLE. This nonsense about being sparkly so he can easily catch prey makes utterly no sense. Catching prey while going off like the fourth of July would be immeasurably hard not only considering they could see you coming from a million miles away but they would run screaming if someone who SPARKLES appears in their midst. Sparkles tend to garner attention (has anyone ever been out on Halloween and seen girls with sparkles all over their skin? Don't you notice them more?)

Also, to my second point, he's DEAD. Laurell K. Hamilton handled this well until Obsidian Butterfly when her series became smut without plot. Robin Mckinley wrote an excellent book (Sunshine) which had the most realistic 'human-like' vampires I've ever read. Stephenie Myer slaughters this. No one mentions that fact that Bella is in love with a CORPSE. It's necrophilia at it's worst. No, wait, it's fan girlism at its worst.

Both of them have absolutely no chemistry. There's nothing bringing them together or a commonality that they share. Nothing. So why does Bella love Edward? I still hold out in the hopes that Edward is fattening her up for feasting.

Okay, so the writing. It's all over the place with characters having no depth or rememborable aspects. The only reason I remember Bella and Edward is because I hated them so much and their names were mentioned so often it's hard to miss them. The plot was not thought out properly. I'm still confused as to WHY Bella left to go live with her dad. Her reasons seem weak and she seems stupid. The only really well though out character that acted consistently was Bella's dad and he basically worried all the time.

She does not know how to write scenes or dialogue or a full book. The dialogue is sad and cliche with me actually predicting, to the word, what characters would say next. The 'humouristic' encounters that Edward and Bella have seem contrived and pathetic with dialogue repeating itself and trying to hide under sarcasm.

The scenes are just... sad. The climaxes sucked. Purely sucked. I felt no danger from the page, nothing had led up to the climax at the end, I knew she would be rescued, and it made no sense. Random vampire decides he MUST HAVE Bella and kidnaps her. Who cares? Why does he go after Bella anyhow; he knows that the entire family is going to come along and kick his butt no matter if she's alive or not and there are plenty of other humans to feed off all over the place! It's seriously detrimental for him to go after Bella, practically a death wish. So why does he do it?!

The climax scenes are laughable. There is no climax. I didn't feel drawn into the action on the page, I didn't feel suspense. By that time I knew the author wouldn't let her precious character die so the entire thing was pathetic. The fact that half of it wasn't even there because Bella was unconcious or whatever is silly. The whole point of a climax scene is to give the reader a sense of ending. All we get is 'oh, such and such killed him." Um, yay?

I only read the first book. I cannot slog through the rest of them. Considering the reviews of it and summaries I have to contest that they're the same. Oooh, *character whose name I can't remember because he was so shallow* is a werewolf and Bella's next love interest. So? I had that figured out when he was introduced! I can tell you exactly how the enture book will pan out, the plotlines are so laughably cliche!

On Her book 'Host': I picked it up in Coles and read the insert. My first thought was "Man, this sounds an awful lot like Twilight." I then read the author and burst out laughing in the middle of the store. THAT is how pathetic Stephenie Myer is.

And That is my rant/post. laugh.gif

I have to say, I liked Twilight, cause I'm mostly a sucker for romance, but I don't adore it. == I can't judge the writing, but Bella is just... =.=

Firstly, she's... perfect. First she has pale appearences, is gorgeous but horrificly denies it herself, apparently has NO flaws except for the fact that she can't stand blood and is accident prone (which really, isn't a flaw), and once she's turned to a vampire, is... so super powerful. She doesn't have the intense newborn blood thirst, she is graceful, more so then normal vampires, she's powerful, even more powerful then Emmett, and she's probably the ONLY vampire in the whole existence to have a child. Need I continue? =.=

And the climaxes are just... bleargh. Yada yada, yes we know Bella's gona get saved no matter what, oh everyone's crazy over her (if you count properly, including Jacob and the rest of the guys at Forks High, she has... 5 diff guys mooning after her?), Jacob's gona kill Edward, Edward's gona Kill Jacob, another random blood drinking vampire comes along and decides to kill Bella again. Cliche much?

Like I said, I don't harbor intense hate nor liking for Twilight, in fact, I rather enjoy it... as light reading. Bella's Mary-Sueness is just... =.=

BarkingPup-you just made my day, your post was really funny but also very truthful biggrin.gif

Why thank you smile.gif Apparently I'm good at rants but then again, I should be because of how many I've typed in my day blink.gif Elaine is an opinonated person tongue.gif

The first time I read Twilight, I really liked it. Then I read New Room, and Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. I loved New Moon, it was my favourite out of all them. smile.gif A year later, when it become popular, I re-read the first book, and I realised how sh*t it was! I honestly don't understand how I could have liked it before.

I do like The Host though, there are some cr*ppy bits but most of it is good.

I have read them all, I just finished reading Breaking Dawn.

and now I'm reading Twilight again :3

I love the books, they're really great, but I'm not in love with the guys in them, you know what I mean. they are great, of course, but they are just some people in books.

it's just so annoying when people say something like " OH I LOVE EDWARD SO MUCH AND I'M GONNA MARRY HIM<33! "

...sorry, but I hate that stuff. : p

but the books are awesome ^-^ but I didn't like the movie so much.

yeah, sorry my bad english....

Edited by Sathine

I have read all of the books and I love them

I have read all of the twlight books aswell only hate them all but the frist.

Eh, they're not my kind of books. I classify them as 'pulp romance'. You know, like the books about swarthy handsome pirates, except about sparkly handsome vampires.

Read 'em if that's what you like...but did you really have to make action figures of the characters? Really?

[Click if you want to laugh your head off at this awesome Twilight Review]

Sorry, I just HAD to post that because that basically says all I need to say on the series.

LOL, I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Although I enjoy the books, they are a guilty pleasure, I really do agree with most of the review. I am luckly enough to have a very active imagination to fill in the huge gaps in the plot, characters and personalities.

Personally I prefer the good old fashion vamps... for example the Anne Rice's and Charlaine Harris' versions.

Bella is the most annoying person on the planet and Edward id the most abusive person ever. I don't get how some people like their relationship, its not healthy.

Clearly, you never have to deal with hordes of 12 year old fangirls... or an abusive person. If Edward were the most abusive person ever, how is Bella even alive? O__o;;

I'd rather be Bella's best friend than have to deal with 12 year olds. At least Bella will ignore me completely. xd.png

I hate Twilight.

When I first read the book, I thought it was corny and annoying. Seriously, if you were to take out all of Bella's fangirlish thoughts about Edward (that includes his numerous glorified descriptions), I swear the book would be a quarter of the length. dry.gif

Then I read this. It made me realize how much Twilight sucks (not to mention how twisted it actually is).

I've pretty much been exiled at my school because of my dislike for Twilight. Even my boyfriend likes it. huh.gif I honestly thought only teenage girls got into it... *sighs*

That's all for now.

I don't hate Twilight... I just hate the fans who get physically and mentally violent when you insult it or say you aren't interested in it.

Basically, the rabid fans who fly into a rage if you say any word against it.

Aside from that, I found it was only a little irritating - the author sounded like she was reading words from a thesaurus for most of the series.

X3 One of my friends started to summarize it in a way she knew I'd like. I really was disappointed when I read the book, because it wasn't the story so much as the STYLE I didn't like...

This is one of the few times that I will have posted a response without looking over the rest of the thread.

Clearly, Twilight was wonderful, but I could never help, but get the feeling of: Teenage Anne Rice much!?

Twilight has it's nice points, but honestly... I put the book down and went back to reading "The Vampire Armand."

I've had this conversation with my ex and his new girlfriend. She hated me for saying, "Twilight is ****." Without understanding the fact that I am a pure Anne Rice, Christine Feehan, and Darren Shan fan. The only thing I found AT ALL creative is that Vampires don't go in the sun because their skin looks like "Diamonds." That was something that made me squirm going, "I don't know whether to hate it or to like it?"

That's my input.

I've had this conversation with my ex and his new girlfriend. She hated me for saying, "Twilight is ****." Without understanding the fact that I am a pure Anne Rice, Christine Feehan, and Darren Shan fan. The only thing I found AT ALL creative is that Vampires don't go in the sun because their skin looks like "Diamonds." That was something that made me squirm going, "I don't know whether to hate it or to like it?"

I am a pure Darren Shan fan, but I have never read Annie Rice or Christine Feehan. Darren Shan (as well as Dracula) is still enough to get me to believe the real vampires, though. Not glittering in the sun ones.

I hate Twilight.

When I first read the book, I thought it was corny and annoying. Seriously, if you were to take out all of Bella's fangirlish thoughts about Edward (that includes his numerous glorified descriptions), I swear the book would be a quarter of the length. dry.gif

Then I read this. It made me realize how much Twilight sucks (not to mention how twisted it actually is).

I've pretty much been exiled at my school because of my dislike for Twilight. Even my boyfriend likes it. huh.gif I honestly thought only teenage girls got into it... *sighs*

That's all for now.

It has a vampire getting her head ripped off in the third book c: I can understand why he likes it <3

It has a vampire getting her head ripped off in the third book c: I can understand why he likes it <3

I find it funny that that would redeem an entire series in the eyes of a guy. If I want blood and gore, I will just re-read The Malazan Book of the Fallen, or other gory book, instead of reading through almost an entire series to get to one scene like that.

ok, This is what someone said about Midnight Sun and the Twilight series on another forum that I am on. (If you haven't read Midnight sun She gives some things away but as she states you already read the finished book)

As some of you know ( and It is a truth that I often deny) I was a Twilight Fan girl for a grand total of two weeks during this past summer vacation. During the first week of these two weeks I read The first three books of the"Twilight" saga. I was eccentric, I am now ashamed to say, about the first book, I disliked the second book and I despised the third (noticing a pattern?) But because of the timing when I read the books, I had to finish the series so I waited with bitter resentment for the forth. Unlike the first three It took me almost one full week to complete this book, The book was so awful that sometimes I had to set it down and give my brain a "shower" by reading poorly written fan fictions about aang and Katara.

When I finally finished this god-forsaken series in early august I vowed to never read Any more of Stephenie Meyer's works but I am ashamed to say That I did.

"Midnight Sun" was going to be "Twilight" from Edwards point of view. Edward was The male heart-throb of the original series(next to Jacob Black((but I hate him so I'm not going to mention him besides what is necessary))). In the Main four books he finds time to-Woo the female main character(Bella Swan), Fight for her life several times,Marry her,Impregnate her,Turn her into a vampire,Fight for her Un-dead existence and Live with her in a sort of mundane fantasy for the rest of eternity. And he does all that in well over 2,400 pages. Meyer never intended that This book was going to be leaked on to the internet,but When it did she stopped writing It indefinitely.

I have to say I sort-off feel for the woman because of that, but You gotta roll with the punches and so on and so forth. But what does she do? She Throws a tantrum and says and I quote "If I tried to write Midnight Sun now, in my current frame of mind, James would probably win and all the Cullens would die..."

So, after reading this I said to myself "Sounds like a good read". For the next 7 months or so The Idea of reading it danced infrequently in the back of my mind and for the most part I ignored twilight all together. But when Spring break broke (lol pun) I had absolutely nothing to do. So I read bad Fan-Fiction after bad Fan-Fiction but Finally on Wednesday I gave up and typed in Midnight sun into the search bar.

Midnight sun follows the pattern of the other Four book to a tee. Not only was it boring, It made a mockery of the Only character that could have had some depth to him.In the original series, he was only explored as much as he allowed Bella to explore him, (both physically and emotionally if ya know what I mean) which turned out to be not that much. He turns out to be A 107 year old Bella That finds time in his oh-so-boring life to complain all the time. He enjoys complaining about humans, Complaining about his family, being angsty,complaining about being angsty,Being angsty about complaining about being angsty And complaining about being a vampire. With all that Juicy teen angst why would anyone wan't any actual, filling, meaning full, plot? Apparently That is what Meyer thought and she didn't write anything like that.

Meyer also did a number on herself by re-writing the same book. This brings up the question,Did she write the same book because she forgot things? and the simple answer is no. She only for got to write in the 3rd person instead of 1st. If she had written the books like this, They would not be the "Dear dairy" books they are now. And They would have actual fans.

Back to the book itself, When Edward first sees Bella he becomes captivated by the smell of her blood and he wishes to Feast. But because of his "vegetarian" status of only drinking animal blood he is ridden with angst untill he finally confronts her, like a man and tells her that he is a vampire. When she dosen't care he becomes mad that she doesn't understand how much danger she is putting herself in by being around him. Then the book pretty much stops because that is all that was leaked.

Even In this brief 264 page(brief by twilight standards) leek, little actual emotion is evoked. The book makes Edward feel more like a stalker and less like a person who generally cares. She fills his thoughts with unnecessary big words to try and alter her writing style from what Bella's was. This obviously dosen't work because I noticed it within the first few pages.also, Edward often double crosses himself by ignoring his good deeds by what he has done incorrectly and putting Bella on a pedestal which she with undoubtedly fall off of because she is so childishly, uncoordinated. Edward cannot read her thoughts which he assumes are better and more wonderful then the rest of the worlds, but The reader, or should I say the intelligent reader knows other wise.

All-in all this prompt of a book was a brutish attempt of an art that is currently down on the count. Hopefully Mrs. Meyer dose not continue with this series, but she does try something else. I hate shooting people down completely, but I have heard good things about her other book "the host" and I hope she can find her niche far from the public eye, as to not draw too much attention to her critically acclaimed failures.

And remember, This is an opinion.

I agree with her 100%

I love Twilight!!

It was the funniest book I ever read >:P I found it hilarious that anyone could actually take such a melodramatic piece of **** seriously. I believe one of my friends said that Meyer described her egotistical protagonist as "perforated"? What brilliance!