Branndi

Twilight

I hear The Host is even worse as far as the sexism messages go. Apparently she encourages girls to lie about their ages for the sake of sex, and turns the two main female protagonists into hormonal sex-driven *****s.

Edited by Panlah

I hear The Host is even worse as far as the sexism messages go. Apparently she encourages girls to lie about their ages for the sake of sex, and turns the two main female protagonists into hormonal sex-driven *****s.

I actually haven't read the Host, so that book I can't comment on. I read the summary about the plot and I just wasn't really interested.

Edited by Branndi

You know why Bella doesn't care? Because she's written that way. Smeyer WRITES her that way.

If I were actually in Bella's shoes, if I WERE BELLA SWAN, I'd let Edward die and take Jacob instead. At least Jacob is, you know, alive. Plus he has a really cute, desirable personality.

It's part of a brainwashing, wish-fullfillment movement. Girls today don't see how abusive Edward is because they don't read it in Bella. They take her emotions and treat them like they matter most in a man - looks, riches, all that.

They don't SEE how Edward truly is. Only what Bella sees, and what she sees was completely engineered by Smeyer.

You know why Bella doesn't care? Because she's written that way. Smeyer WRITES her that way.

If I were actually in Bella's shoes, if I WERE BELLA SWAN, I'd let Edward die and take Jacob instead. At least Jacob is, you know, alive. Plus he has a really cute, desirable personality.

It's part of a brainwashing, wish-fullfillment movement. Girls today don't see how abusive Edward is because they don't read it in Bella. They take her emotions and treat them like they matter most in a man - looks, riches, all that.

They don't SEE how Edward truly is. Only what Bella sees, and what she sees was completely engineered by Smeyer.

Well, that is true. Can't agrue with that logic Lol

Try this on for size.

This is not news for us, but here I have an argument to prove this and is the following:

All the money the Cullen's have, was stolen from everyone else who worked as slaves for them.

But as slave owners would at least feed their slaves, they have gone all the way to get everything for nothing at all, at the cost of many many lives.

In a capitalist country, anyone who buys something is from that moment taking that from someone else, of course that all the money we make is by doing the same, either selling goods of services. Now the Cullen's do not sell anything and the only one who actually works is Carslise and who can't get paid much for his position, lets say one car they have.

Now all the other goods, and who knows how much money they have stolen over the years (but a car that we give credit to Carlisle for buying) is money, or in another way goods that other people created.

So if they don't sell goods or services, how do they get money? The stock market.

By investing we all take a chance of loosing money so thats the gamble any investor does, and what "justifies" the fact that he is able to get a lot of money out of it, as so many actually loose a lot of money.

But the CULLEN'S (Insert creepy music here) don't gamble, they just win, they actually steal because they know what shares to buy since they know they will go up, and then when the shares won't be of any value (probably because Alice knows they will fall) they sell them, letting those who buy the shares from them spend a lot of money for shares that won't be worth anything, making them loose a lot of money and probably commiting suicide.

So basically they steal and destroy people's lifes/future just to buy expensive cars and lands and clothes. Making people work for them for anything absolutely anything in return.

They are no better than the Volturi, they act like kings and take what they want, be it land, goods, clothes, cars, or tramutized teenage girls.

I have to say that honestly, I have never cared how the Cullens got their money Lol

Mainly because 95% of the time when you read about vampires they always have money and are loaded to the max. So after awhile, I stopped caring about how any of them, no matter what book or story, got their money or what they do with it or how they keep it.

Edited by Branndi

lol, unfortunately it just made me hate the Cullens even more. xd.png

ohmy.gif

I didn't know that was even possible laugh.gif

The only Cullen I still have a bit of love for is Jasper.

He's the only one that tried to kill Bella, even if he did fail. D:

Hehe. I posted

"BAAAAAAAAAW!

AREN'T YOU, LIKE, SO CHAGRINED!!??

Bah. Smeyer continues to shame authors with her shining unprofessionalism and immaturity. Oh well.

Now I get to laugh at all the crying at school on Tuesday when they realize that MIDNIGHT SUN IS CANCELLED!

Frankly, I would have /loved/ for her to go through with the idea of killing the Cullens. Maybe then Bella would kill herself and we wouldn't have to put up with her horrible, blatant Mary Sueicide anymore. I would have bought the book simply for that.

CHEERS! In the name of TS.com, I'm in it for the lulz!"

in another topic on a different forum in regards to the cancellation of Midnight Sun. xd.png

I admit that the sparkling thing threw me off too. But like many things of Twilight, it grew on me Lol

Oh, and the baby thing? Yeah...no. I absolutely love Twilight, but Breaking Dawn was simply too much for me and I think we should have a Breaking Dawn bonfire.

The Dark is Rising -the book, not the series itself-

I loooove that series, by the way! Silver on the Tree is the best one happy.gif

And no, Twilight hasn't taken over me completely Lol I can definitely say I love the series and obsessed, but not the point of like a fan girl/boy.

I only read the first Twilight book.... it was an entertaining read.... but only in the same way that Jerry Springer is entertaining TV. If I've got nothing better to do, its mildly amusing. But definitely not thought-provoking in any way.

I write too.... and I do respect the author for knowing very well EXACTLY what her teen audience wanted to read. Its not a great book by my standards because after reading it, I dont think or feel any differently about anything than I did going into it. Didnt challenge me at all, didnt make me care. But it was entertaining. She caters to her audience well, and as a witer myself I can admire that skill.

... you are my new best friend.

And your avatar only makes it better. x3

Go to Deviantart.com and search Team: True Vampire xd.png

Zomg. <3

She may know what kind of **** they want to read, but in real life she treats them like dirt.

People travel miles to see her at book signings, and you know what she makes them do? She makes them buy NEW books before she signs them. She refuses to sign older copies. She also signs her signature like "2 Ashley, S.M." except the S looks like an 8 and her M looks like a Y.

She also CHARGES for her signature. She doesn't let people take pictures with her. What kind of unngrateful biatch does that to her fans? They travel miles to see HER and she milks them for even MORE money.

I never read the book but I already hate something about it.

When I was with my girlfriend this summer, she read the book all day. We were in Hawaii and we didn't go to the beach one time because she wanted to finish reading a part of the book.

To be honest what really turned me off to Twilight was twofold.

1. The vampires. Possibly the worst depiction of the vampire I have ever heard of. "Oh, vampires don't die in the sunlight! It just makes them SPARKLE, which gives them away!" LAME. Edward doesn't bite people, just animals. Regular people eat animals. So basically he's just a sparkly person. Except he's undead. But since he's not a gross looking zombie that's kind of irrelevant. Vampires are either good looking aristgratic gentlemen, or they aren't pretty. I don't want to read about another whiny angst-ridden teenager. Thats why I stopped reading Harry Potter.

Which brings me to,

2. It's been hailed as "the next Harry Potter". I stopped liking the series after the 5 book. Harry went all emo on me. Ugh.

Also how apparently Edward got Bella pregnant despite the fact that he is DEAD, and if vampires can't give birth they logically shouldn't be able to impregnate either, living or dead. It seems to me like the author abused the fact that she made the rules for her vampires she can change them to fit her own needs. even if it makes no logical sense.

Well I can say that I have read all four books…

I also can say that in many ways I agree and disagree with what is being said here.

I do not think that her ides of a vampire is good, but it really did give it a twist I had never seen in my ways of reading things…I also have to agree that she knew what her target group wanted. That age of people want to see the “mary sue” though I do not think that Bella was a Mary Sue in the terms that she did not have money, she did not lose her family…She did not have to give up much to have her way.

She wanted Edward...Hands down…She did not care if she died to have him…Yes he went a bit far with some of the things…Then again he did most of it to protect her. Would any man on this board say that they would allow there girlfriend to hang out with a thug that might kill them? Or if they thought the guy was no good would they allow it…I think not!!! LOL

As for the Jacob thing…Well it is not worse then the other guy imprinting on the 2 yr old…I mean in truth it was not meant the way most are taking it. Yes they are to be around that person for the rest of there life…But that does not mean they will engage in sex…(which we all know will happen) But the point is that in many ways she was showing how the werewolves would protect the children…Though I do not agree with it at all…I read it and wanted to gag!!!

Edward never removed the engine from Bella’s truck…He messed with it yes…But did not take it out!!! (Now I can say that I disagreed with it…But) The truth is that he had no idea how in control Jacob was…There was risk on all sides for Bella….She did what she thought was right and almost got herself killed many times. Would it have been better if Bella had been crushed by the van?

As for Edward having Good intentions…That would be true, but Bella would not allow that to stop her…Hell she got herself into more trouble then anyone I know..LOL I can say it was a alright read and parts of it bothered me…But it is not one of my top books of all time. Bella was no better then Edward in the books though, she used her ability to use Edward to upset him, to get him to do the things she wanted. In truth all she had to do was cock her head to the side and said “for me...” and he would have done it. Mind you it was not all Edward!!!

Any who that is my two cents…Being a writer I have to say that the writer knew her target and hit it…

One other thing…I find funny…You are all bashing this book...But you still read it!!

One other thing…I find funny…You are all bashing this book...But you still read it!!

Actually, I have only read enough of the summaries to know what I'm bashing.

Otherwise I'd be making a fool of myself.

Then how can you sit there and say that what people are saying is true...You can not bash a book without at least reading it.

Seriously...That is messed up!!!

Edited by Necrorose

I don't know about Dr. Paine, but I just find the concept of vampire for the book off puting. And everything else I say is based on what people who have read the book have told me.

Then how can you sit there and say that what people are saying is true...You can not bash a book without at least reading it.

Seriously...That is messed up!!!

Because I have friends who've read the books and I double check everything with them.

And having sumamries posted on Wikipedia and my library's website helps.

I know enough ot know that I will never and can never read it, that it is an in**** to vampires -and to a lesser extent, werewolves and women-, the greatest Sue-fic on the face of the planet, and that Meyer is a a lazy moron who doesn't even bother to research the things she's writing about.

And on a side note, at least three quarters of the people who bash FFX-2 have never even played the game.

At least I make an effort.

HA so your a a zombie that listens to it's masters..LOL(not being rude)

It is far from a sue fic..How can you even think for a one moment that Bella is a mary Sue??

1. She did not lose her family

2. She did not get abused by her father.

3. She has no money

4. She is more then WILLIng to go along with it.

Before you bash a book READ it!!! Maybe she was taking a different area to write. No one is perfect and you can not really compare it to another vampire book or werewolf book. For one they were not werewolves...WHICH I might add she explains in the book!!!! If you had read it you would have figured that out!!!

*clams down* In truth even if Meyer was lazy it is far from the fact that you should not bash a book you have not read...It is wrong..If you were a writer would you want someone to bash it if they had not taken the time to read it?

HA so your a a zombie that listens to it's masters..LOL(not being rude)

It is far from a sue fic..How can you even think for a one moment that Bella is a mary Sue??

1. She did not lose her family

2. She did not get abused by her father.

3. She has no money

4. She is more then WILLIng to go along with it.

Before you bash a book READ it!!!  Maybe she was taking a different area to write.  No one is perfect and you can not really compare it to another vampire book or werewolf book.  For one they were not werewolves...WHICH I might add she explains in the book!!!!  If you had read it you would have figured that out!!!

*clams down*  In truth even if Meyer was lazy it is far from the fact that you should not bash a book you have not read...It is wrong..If you were a writer would you want someone to bash it if they had not taken the time to read it?

First off, Bela IS a Mary Sue. Not the Angsty Sue you're thinking of.

Mary Sues are the beautiful -even if they call themselves 'plain'- girls who get evrerything handed to them on a silver platter and oly go through the smallest amounts of tribulation. Let's see...

Bella- Has guys drooling over her at every step, has an obsessive pedo for a boyfriend, ends up with this rich family, and ends up married with an impossible child and is now young forever. Granted, it might be exagerated a bit, but I'm pretty sure I hit the mark. -Okay, I know there was some mention of either the Cullens or the Swans being rich. I do not know which, and I don't feel like checking it out at the moment.-

Second, there are 'werewolves' in the book- two types, in fact. One are the type who change in and out of form at will, and these children of the moon that are real werewolves.

Third, I know no one is perfect. But that shouldn't be used as an excuse to just write the first thing that pops into your head and then go expect it to be published. If you get eight rejection letters, YOU MIGHT WANT TO REVISE.

Fourth- I am a writter, I've been working on a story for over three years now. If the people's arguments make sense? I won't be offended. But if they're just going by a FOAF, then I'll direct the mto the Wikipedia page so they can know what they're arguing against.

And if you had read my post, you would know that I said 'I double check' with my Twilight fan friends, who are far from afraid to say if I screw something up.

Edited by Dr. Paine