Dis

The sprite practice thread.

user posted image

I tried adding more contrast but I'm not sure if it did too much x.x

As for the wings it's only one set of wings...but half of the wings are covered in feathers while the end half isn't.

It honestly needs more contrast. A fair bit more. Don't be afraid to make them dark. On a white object the darker shades would be a semi-dark grey to have enough contrast.

http://colorcitos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/snowman1.jpg

Edited by Ashywolf

Its left front leg looks quite awkward; a bit blob-like and broken. I also feel as if the left back leg (its left, not ours) is missing.

Shading-wise, you need more contrast. The dark line in the neck also stands out a lot; if it still does after improving the contrast in the shading there, try lightening it a little smile.gif

The left back leg I'm not quite sure on how to put it in there properly because of how the other legs are. I hopefully fixed the problem with the front leg though.

user posted image

The bottom right one is the one I edited, the one on top left is what the sprite lines were before I edited.

The shading I didn't finish, Because I'm not 100% sure if I have all the contrast I need.

Then I also completely redid the front left leg, Adding in the paw and hopefully making it look less broken.

I lightened the line on the neck also because after increase in contrast it stood out to much still.

So, How does it look now?

fur is evil e_e

user posted image

crits?

Edited by Aislein

Okay, tried again...

user posted image

Made some parts darker and some parts slightly lighter...

x.x Does this look any better or should I keep going at it?

Okay, tried again...

user posted image

Made some parts darker and some parts slightly lighter...

x.x Does this look any better or should I keep going at it?

It looks pretty good to me, i like the shading :3

But I notice a straight line in the tail, is it intentional? Also seems like there's just a couple pixels that could be cleaned up, really only noticed it on the tail :3

For shading I say it's pretty good the colors blend together giving it a smooth look.

X3 I'm not the best spriter tho so I could be wrong.Welcomed to ignore my crit.

It looks pretty good to me, i like the shading :3

But I notice a straight line in the tail, is it intentional? Also seems like there's just a couple pixels that could be cleaned up, really only noticed it on the tail :3

For shading I say it's pretty good the colors blend together giving it a smooth look.

X3 I'm not the best spriter tho so I could be wrong.Welcomed to ignore my crit.

No the straight line wasn't intentional and I was just realizing it myself right before I read your post too xd.png

I'm not too entirely sure how to fix it, though :T

But It's starting to really irk me x.x

No the straight line wasn't intentional and I was just realizing it myself right before I read your post too xd.png

I'm not too entirely sure how to fix it, though :T

But It's starting to really irk me x.x

How about bringing the tail up a little bit so you get more room to do the curves? If you do it should fix the straight line on the hip/ butt area as well :3 but sadly that might mean redoing almost all of the tail x(

I can try a redline if you want but I'm confident you can do it better tho too :3

Had a lot of free time this weekend and decided to start fiddling around with pixel art. It's a lot of fun, but I'd like to get better. Here's what I came up with:

user posted image

It's based off of an old doodle of mine, so I'm sure my anatomy is terrible xd.png

Any suggestions on what I could improve?

Edited by Malum

how's this?

i'm trying to learn to sprite properly. i want to actually get spriting down, then i'll work on coloring and shading.

user posted image

how's this?

i'm trying to learn to sprite properly. i want to actually get spriting down, then i'll work on coloring and shading.

user posted image

That sprite looks quite nice, although the right hind leg could use some fixing...

And here's my first attempt on lining a sprite. Critiques, anyone?

user posted image

This is my first ever sprite- Done on paint!

user posted image

I really don't plan on working on it anymore, but I like how it turned out.

Edited by animals4501

Hey, I'm starting to sprite after a long hiatus, and I was hoping to get some feedback on some lines I just finished:

user posted image

It's supposed to be a red dragon, female if that matters. xd.png

Edited by Wandering Mew

I just thought Id try on one of the practice skteches in the first post. This one, to be specific.

I know I wouldnt be able to do shading for the life of me, so I suppose doing sprite lines is good enough. VuV;

Full size

Sprite size

user posted image

Something just doesnt seem right. What did I do wrong to make the lines like that on the smaller one? Is it just because it's not colore or..?

Edited by Chuint

It looks like you just shrunk the picture. A spriteline is when you go over the shrunk sketch with another color, usually black, then clean up what's left of the sketched picture so just the black lines are there. For reference, a redline is whenever someone goes over the original sketch with a color, usually red, to show where anatomy should be fixed. (I see those two mixed up sometimes). This guide should help. http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=115977

I need some help with the wings of this one:

user posted image

And possibly other little things. smile.gif

If someone really wants to help me get it right, please PM me, otherwise, tips and crits i highly suggest please! happy.gif

This is the first sprite I've ever done, I tried to make it in pokemon sprite style so I could put in the game rom. That's not the original size, I had to make it a bit bigger so it could be easier to see.

user posted image

user posted image

Good base sprite, but some of the lines are jagged. Generally, smooth things out a bit. I'm guessing you have fur? Try to refine that, take a look at other sprites with fur, and try to apply that to your sprite.

I'm not sure what's going on in the middle section, maybe you could make it a bit more clear?

user posted image

Good lines, as far as I can tell. You need more contrast between shades, though, as the shading is hard to see. Try and leave less flat coloured space, add in occasional highlights and different textures. Also try not to use complete black. Use a blue-black, and don't forget to shade it too! With black, you can't go any darker, so make it a lighter, but still dark, colour and make it go to a different colour that's still dark.

user posted image

Good attempt!

Try and thin down your lines- 1 pixel wide at any point. At corners, take away the extra pixel to make it smoother. You'll want to check out that wing anatomy, unless a cartoon-y look is what you wanted? Look at WIP sprites in dragon requests, you can see lots of different lines there, and how people try to improve them. Also, take a look at the spriting guides in the pinned topics. Next step, after you've sorted out your lines, replace the black with darker shades of the main colours.

user posted image

I can't think of anything in this one, you'll have to find someone else xd.png

user posted image

I'm gonna give you crits on the lines too, if you don't mind?

Firstly- this dragon has hangbut! Just extend the membrane a little, just below the hipbone and you should be fine. The tail has thick/thin issues, and is very rigid. Try and taper it out gently and make it curve more, rather then going in straight lines. This dragon looks like it has heavy wings, the fingers are slightly too thick, and the hands could do with being a bit thinner, too. Take a look at your own hands to help. The long claws need smoothing, the curves are very jagged and need smoothing, like I've said before, take a look at sprites in Dragon Requests.

Onto shading.

Don't limit yourself to six shades throughout the whole thing, use around six shades for the bigger colours, and around four for the little colours that aren't used as much. Try not to leave so much plain space, on some things it looks fine, but it gives the sprite a more pokemon-feel. Break it up with highlights and muscle definition. Think about where the skin will be thinly stretched, and therefore where you would see bones- like on the back of hands and on starving dragons.

Use http://www.freewebs.com/dragonint/dragonskin.jpg to help you find the muscles.

user posted image

Feathered wings are hard, but you've got them pretty well. Take a look at this guide, it takes you through the steps of drawing a feathered wing very well. Try and base your wings on that.

Your dragon's feet are almost bendy, try and keep them slightly more rigid, bones don't bend, but joints do. Try and define what sort of feet this dragon has, too. (But feet are hard, so I don't blame you xd.png)

Your dragon's head looks too big for its body, try making it slightly smaller, it'll look better that way.

Onto the tail. The curve is good, but the tail stays the same thickness for most of its length, try and start if off thick, and taper it down to more of a point.

user posted image

A very good first sprite!

Try and add more contrast to your shades, it looks a bit flat at the moment.

Also, could you post one the original size? It'll make it easier to see how it looks properly zoomed out, and show us what the whole effect of it is. Some lines that don't look jagged up close look bad at its proper size.

user posted image

first (well, not exactly... more like 5th) lining of a sprite I've done (first one I didn't get fed-up with and actually finished though)

here's what it's supposed to look like

any tips, help, complete redlining on something I totally screwed up (probably all of it, honestly) are appreciated. Hopefully it doesn't make anyone's eyes bleed too much...

The picture is an original drawing of mine and the colors I have outlined aren't necessarily what I plan to use... I just picked colors that were mainly easy for me to tell the difference from.

Edited by Dragonhatchling

Feathered wings are hard, but you've got them pretty well. Take a look at this guide, it takes you through the steps of drawing a feathered wing very well. Try and base your wings on that.

Your dragon's feet are almost bendy, try and keep them slightly more rigid, bones don't bend, but joints do. Try and define what sort of feet this dragon has, too. (But feet are hard, so I don't blame you xd.png)

Your dragon's head looks too big for its body, try making it slightly smaller, it'll look better that way.

Onto the tail. The curve is good, but the tail stays the same thickness for most of its length, try and start if off thick, and taper it down to more of a point.

Does this look any better with the head/tail/feet?

user posted image-->user posted image-->user posted image-->user posted image-->user posted image

I haven't attempted the wings yet. =3

EDIT: I've tried with the wings. For about 2 hours. o3o.

Edited by Sandface

Okay, so I'm working on my spriting. I'm using this really easy doodle I made to start out:

user posted image

I've changed the sprite a little. The tail isn't as long and I made the body longer. But aside from that it's pretty much the same.

user posted image ---> user posted image

Any critiques before I start shading?

Edited by Gelliebeen

Hello!

I'm new to spriting, and I think this thread is great!

This is my first attempt at spriting, for which I used one of the sketches from Rynnfox (I didn't do the horns though):

user posted image --> user posted image --> user posted image

Can someone please give me some comments on what I have so far? And also tips, if possible the feet aren't quite how they should be biggrin.gif

I tried to get better legs, concentrating on the hind one:

user posted image ~ user posted image

Edited by RulenneClarissa

*Runs in*

user posted image

Might not even be used by the concept, but I was bored, so yeah xd.png

Not shaded most of the fins.

*Runs out*

*Runs in again*

user posted image

*Jellehfisharms*

*Runs out*

Edited by Shadowwolf6

Hello!

I'm new to spriting, and I think this thread is great!

This is my first attempt at spriting, for which I used one of the sketches from Rynnfox (I didn't do the horns though):

user posted image --> user posted image --> user posted image

Can someone please give me some comments on what I have so far? And also tips, if possible the feet aren't quite how they should be biggrin.gif

I tried to get better legs, concentrating on the hind one:

user posted imageuser posted image

The kink in the neck by the jaw is a little off. Try looking at this and this.

And along with that, I think the chest needs to be a little bigger. Because right now, your neck is all 1 size. It's basically going from neck, to stomach without much change. It should be the smallest near the head, and get bigger as it reaches the chest.

The back hip is wayyyy to big. I think you should slim it down to look like this and here's another example: http://bit.ly/10VBZIV.(this is a rough sketch. Ignore the wings. :3)

As for the toes, here's a foot reference: http://bit.ly/17a7u4n

I hope this helps?!

Edited by Sandface