Dis

The sprite practice thread.

user posted image

Critique me please?

I already know i forgot his head jewel...my computer is wacked so if the first went through ill check again and delete it.

edit; ummm dratini belongs to the pokemon company and nintendo...and this is my own design...

edit:

I did anpother using a sketch i found on the web. Here's the sketch.

http://talonr.tripod.com/torana/art18.jpg

I used it as a launching pad to do this:

user posted image

Edited by parakeetpunk

Well...i would really like to improve my spriting so yeah some questions:

do i have to sprite free, just looking at the sketch or is there a way i can sprite on the sketch? huh.gif do you get what i mean? if not...i don't blame you. laugh.gif

i mean so that i can match all the lines and so on.

and...can i just take a sketch or sprite from here and play a little with it? wink.gif

Your certainly allowed to use any sprite in the first post, or anywhere in the thread, as long as the person who has posted it has stated its there for anyones use.

do i have to sprite free, just looking at the sketch or is there a way i can sprite on the sketch?

I think i know what your talking about. If you copy a sketch into paint/photoshop/gimp/whatever program you use (I use Paint.NET), you can outline the lines of the sketch straight over the sketch. ;D

Edited by Googleplaxin

^Finally someone who understood what i meant. thanks. laugh.gif

but then i have to remove the sketch. is that posiblle on this program you said?

Edited by DarkOcean

If you're using MS paint, then you have to erase the pixels underneath, but with photoshop and gimp, you're able to use a seperate layer that will allow you to line the drawing and then delete the layer with the original sketch, leaving you with just the pixels. :3

Kila's Erichan, progress update wink.gif

user posted image

Started shading tonight and got a good ways through it.

Will I need to change the outline color of the kitty in certain places? Or is it fine the way it is?

Also, the highlights in the eyes don't match with the light source. Just curious if I should change it.

Any other issues?

parakeetpunk: You have some straight lines on the back, making it look stiff and unnatural. I suggest, before longish horizontal/vertical lines meeting a diagnal on a sprite to have a short, two pixel line to make their meeting not as sharp and noticable. Also, I'd refrain from dithering with sprites that size. It's usally rather noticable and takes away from space you could be using for more shades. I also suggest not going as far with your shades, though that might be personal opinion.

I don't have a working scanner so I've been using sketch icons I find on google images...so the size is pre chosen...but I don't know whether you mean it is too small or too big cuz any smaller and steggys head might dissapear. The shading really did turn out bad...orgiginally it wasn't bad bu I went and put a way lighter tone in for hightligting...it was a failed expiriment. If you would,sexton, since you are nice enough to critique my work can you either look back at some of my others and tell me how I did or visit my DA and critique them?

Here's my DA: http://parakeetpunk.deviantart.com/profile/

user posted image

Could someone critique please? This is a scratch sprite, and the gray stuff on the feet are supposed to be snow. It's not my first sprite, and I'm working on shading it.

Anatomy...in my opinion his head is too small. There is no muscles definition, the shoulderblades are too exxagerated and his hips are misaligned. That's just what I see...I'm in a rush so sorry if it is a bit blunt. His neck as well. The way you have it seems like it's on profile veiw but where the neck meets the chest is at a 1/3 veiw.

Edited by parakeetpunk

this is my own sprite, and I suppose I should of started here first instead of charging full steam and ending up with an anti-alias disaster.

So starting over from step 1. How do I make it look like my wyrms are resting on their bellies with out having a straight line problem?

user posted image

Gave this one a shot. I know it's a bit big, but....

user posted image

...If it looks fudged or like I didn't know what the thunderin' farge I was doin', it's cause this is my second time doing pixel art and I really don't know what the thunderin' farge I'm doin'. Not brave enough to try coloring it yet.

but then i have to remove the sketch. is that posiblle on this program you said?

Yep, Paint.NET uses layers, just like photoshop. So, paste the sketch on one layer, and then trace your lines over the top on a separate layer. Once your done with the sketch, you can delete the sketch layer.

Which program should i use?

I have serif drawplus on my laptop but it might not be the best, i can get others

blink.gif

user posted image

My first attempt. Where'd I botch it? xd.png

EDIT: I already see that his left foot looks funny, and I forgot the wrist crease of the far-side arm, and I don't think I like the near-side claw. Anything else?

EDIT2: I changed a few things

user posted image

Edited by lryl

Um, sooooo....I'm horrible at spriting and such, but i decided to try waterspirit07's outline ^^ And I'm worse at shading, so I did use Starbit-Plushie's shading of it[front page] as kind of a reference ^^"

user posted image

Um, yea, I'm not sure where I was going with the swirly ribbon things and stripes came from but oh well ^^"

Decided to try out spriting tongue.gif

This is my first try, did pretty bad on the shading.. I think the horns are alright, but the rest..

user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

Tried shading on Dracchan's sprite. Did pretty good ^-^

Thanks for making the sprite, Dracchan ^-^

user posted image

Then decided to try making another of the same sprite.. Flat colored the head then got lazy(: Still credit to Dracchan for the original.

user posted image

Edited by Everyone

Tried spriting an apple user posted image

And a random S1 hatchie user posted image

Edited by wonton55912