Dis

The sprite practice thread.

Try looking up some general anatomy guides. Right now I can't tell if your dragon is supossed to have two forelegs or two hind legs.

so i'm starting to sprite, i have one thing i am working on right now (look at last save) so a link to a good spot to study basic anatomy would be conviniant. (i hate you firefox and your limited spellcheck capabilities) i'm having trouble finding a decent one.

Edited by votehim

I've no links, but just searching things like "snakes" would help. You could also look at the Completed List in Suggestions/Requests. I also like to use neondragonart.com as a reference.

Do you think this needs any work?? I know the stump thingys on top are supposed to be claws, but I cant figure out how to sprite them...

user posted image

The dragon's position is a bit awkward. It makes sense anatomically/physically, but it doesn't make for the best-looking sprite.

Otherwise, it's okay. To make claws, just add a pixel to the tips of the stumps.

ah that makes sense *slaps tired at the time brain*

It's a little hard to tell what's going on and a lot of the lines are rather rough. Try using different colors to mark things in the front/back.

user posted image

Been trying out sprites and this is one I just finished. Anything I need to work on immediately?

I'd suggest increasing the shadowy areas a touch more, as well as adding more highlights. He looks a little flat. Also, I beleive the wing membrane should connect a little lower down the body. But biggest thing is the flatness of the shading.

If ya don;t get what I mean I suggest zooming in on some of the completed sprites to see how the colours have been placed. Always helped me. Still does actually, I like to look at how different people shade their sprites, it lets me fiddle with my style. =)

so i see many spriters use MS paint to sprite (as will i) but i am haveing a lot of trouble with coloring, when i edit the color in custom it will tend to use the same colors that are already in the drawing and WILL NOT add new ones, is there anything i can to to fix this?

edit:well i found a way to pass it but it would be nice to get it to go away

edit2: yay for first sprite

linked cause the image quality sucked when it was embedded

so how bad is it?

Edited by votehim

Herewith one of my first tries for making line-art.

This is from the first page, sketch 2 from Slaskia.

Feel free to use it to try and color it if you want.

Just give credit to Slaskia for the original drawing.

user posted image

Please let me know what you think of it smile.gif

Eh, too large? I never put anything about spriting it as a Dragon Cave try, this is just a try to do line-art. Some adoptables are larger than this (non DC), so it's just a try purely for line-art...

Ah, yes, true, I guess I just find it a lot easier to sprite with smaller sprites, so I sort of forget that 100x100 isn't a maximum for everything. >_>

so i see many spriters use MS paint to sprite (as will i) but i am haveing a lot of trouble with coloring, when i edit the color in custom it will tend to use the same colors that are already in the drawing and WILL NOT add new ones, is there anything i can to to fix this?

edit:well i found a way to pass it but it would be nice to get it to go away

edit2: yay for first sprite

linked cause the image quality sucked when it was embedded

so how bad is it?

feed back would be nice, also i changed it around a bit and got this

Wow. I look though this thread and see my first spriteline I ever did! blink.gif And Its the best one I've ever done. blink.gif Except stupid me saved it as a JPG so now there are like 20 shades of gray floting around. dry.gif Any suggestions on how to get rid of them all quickly? I can barely see them, they're so close to white, but they're there.

um, question, two actually.

1. Can I try this out or is it like a club thingy where we need to sign up?

2. If I have my own sketch I wanna try, can I use it here?

.....I need help with practically everything sprite related, especially (I think) shading.

It's not a club - just a practice thread. Post your sprites and get input. ^^

Yes you can.

Dragonhatchling, do you know about Eggpress Elementary? I hate to advertise, but I am going to hold lessons next semester, so you'd be free to join. smile.gif

user posted image

that alright for an outline??

.....sorta the first one I made...sorta...

I made the mistake of outlining when it was big for the reason rhea stated and I couldn't tell what was what.....

they was pixels when I did it...

*goes to try and darken*

grrr...labtops are evil with me....now I wish I hadn't lost the portable mouse dry.gif

very sloppy looking thing coming up sometime....when I can make it look a little nicer

Edited by Dragonhatchling

feed back would be nice, also i changed it around a bit and got this

pleeeeeeeease, i really want to get this to be the best i can get it.