Dis

The sprite practice thread.

For this particular species, the bright under-wing is to startle attackers. Flying around would simply make it a target; instead, it crawls around after dark, flying only if absolutely necessary, but preferring to crawl or glide with its forewings over its hindwings.

But yes, for actual flying species I'll be making the wings bigger.

Dun dun dun... my horrific ADULT SPRITE, SHADED

user posted image

AEEIII MY EYES THEY BURN

Here's some of my own spritework... Oh God, cover your eyes. xd.png j/k

Here's my first (I AM very aware of the anatomy fail...)

user posted image

And here is my second, ever. Which I just finished at about 1am last night.... or is it morning?....idk.

Original drawing(by me, mind you...)

user posted image

Sprite version... yes major color change...lol

user posted image

So... any comment about them would help...

Edited by SkyBlueBlur

Rhea: They aren't eye-burning. The lights need to be a bit more on the body itself. Also, when you are shading, you don't want to have just the lightness/darkness change... you should change the hue. happy.gif The neck should curve a bit more and you shouldn't see the arm on the other side, but otherwise, good job! smile.gif

SkyBlueBlur: Your sprites are actually really good! They remind me of Digimon. ~_^ I suggest more shading on the neck and head, and a few highlights as well. Of course, some sprites just have shadows, so you might be going for that. The shading on the back leg closest to us has a bit of sharp shading, so soften that a wee bit. The lines are also a wee bit sharp - try to smooth them a bit. Great job, smile.gif

To the black/grey? I don't feel like trying to shade the wings because 1. They're kinda flat to begin with, and 2. It means going up to some 27 colors.

user posted image

And can you even tell at all that the wings have been shaded?

Yeah, well, with all colours. No, honestly. o_O You should shade the wings even if they are flat - pieces of paper have some sort of shading, and considering that there are things above the bottom wings and they aren't COMPLETELY flat...

user posted image

If you have one shadow, one light, one base, and one outline for the wings, that's only 10 colours for the wings. Yellow, orange, and red, then the outline. Then you can just give the body two highlights, a base colour, two shadows, and an outline colour, that's 6 for the black. That's 16 total. How are you getting 27?

I'm... not quite sure. Uh. Hm. I might just wait for a bit, get this into Requests, and hopefully have someone else shade it. I'm not quite sure how I'm getting all this...

Nnnyeargh.

The wing main colors: outline, brown, orange, red-orange, red, yellow, white. I've several shades of grey for shading.

I don't really know how to distribute the color so that things don't end up so clunky-looking and blocky.

Rhea: A bit better. ^_^

Flame: Sprites are actually supposed to be 100x100 pixels or smaller if they're on dragon cave. Look up the sprite guides in the dragon request forum. Also, that dragon has so many problems I'm going to be submitting another. ;)

blazing: The neck is too thin and the head is a bit too big. Just look up pictures of bats, dogs, horses, cats, and lizards. The anatomy help from that will do you wonders.

Alright, thank you ^^

EDIT:

user posted image

:D ?

Thoughts?

Edited by xFlame990

SkyBlueBlur: Your sprites are actually really good! They remind me of Digimon. ~_^ I suggest more shading on the neck and head, and a few highlights as well. Of course, some sprites just have shadows, so you might be going for that. The shading on the back leg closest to us has a bit of sharp shading, so soften that a wee bit. The lines are also a wee bit sharp - try to smooth them a bit. Great job, smile.gif

A lot of people say the drawing looks like a Digimon... but I've never watched the shows or played the games! xd.png

Oh, and like so?

user posted image

Yeah, that one. xd.png It seems like more Digimon anatomy as well. And, yup.

Flame: It needs to be smoothed and more defined. happy.gif Check out the advice I gave Rhea on the last page.

Ok, from what I can make out you have some smoothing problems and in some parts the lines aren't connected. happy.gif Other than that, nice job!

Theeres a lot (two words, not one) of problems.

I

*might* re outline it if i could get some redlines :3

Edited by Whispyr

A lot of its messed actually.

I may just re-outline it

user posted image

... yeps. The head may be changed, so comment from the neck down, pl0x. Tail will have something on it, probably spikes but possibly something else. Thread can be found in "Thunderbold Trapjaw."

How did I not notice this thread before? I always miss the pinned ones.

So can anyone here tell me what they think of this one?

user posted image

It's not a dragon, I know. The scales have only been added on parts of it, so obvously I'm not done, but what needs to be fixed on it so far?

I made up the "Spearsnake" dragon (not in Dragon Requests...yet) and decided to sprite the hatchlings:

user posted image

So is there anything wrong/I can improve?

@ potter: the back to underbelly transition in the neck-ish area (where's the neck on a snake? lol) makes the underbelly part look quite flat, but shading might help with that.

@ PFN: I'd move the tail so that the spear-end doesn't touch the dragon; that looks odd. I'd also try to make it a wee bit more draconic; right now it's a funny-looking snake.

Halp?

Character is not mine. Being sprited to serve as thank you gift art, but also to slot in with my art paper's artist study.

post-25-1268493267.png