Dis

The sprite practice thread.

I got permission from Bec to shade one of his concepts, the Silverback Wyvern, because I really needed to practice my shading. I'm not really happy with what I came up with, so I wanted to ask for some crits.

user posted image

The wingblade thingy is unshaded, yes, because I simply did not know what to do with it. >< Concrits, please?

Edited by lilyice

Hey, lily. biggrin.gif WE HAVE TO FINISH UP SCHOOL. >_<

I suggest looking at anatomy a wee bit more and being sure to light everything that has a shadow, shadow everything that has a light.

user posted image

How's that? I outlined Faeryl's sketchy thing for practice. =D Imma color it later too...

Er... everywhere? xd.png;

Face/neck needs details the most.

K well this is the first sprite I've ever done so I know I've still got a lot to learn, which means I would absolutely love critique!

user posted image

I know the foot on the left got slightly messed up but I spent ages trying to correct it and it still didn't work rolleyes.gif So I would love it if someone could help me by telling me how to make it better.

Thanks in advance

PS. It's based off the practice sketch by Floari LINK

Edit: Thanks, I didn't know you were supposed to save it as a png unsure.gif

Edited by Lunaeluu

Looks good, especially for a first-timer!

Though always save your spritework as a PNG. ALWAYS. Otherwise it completely ruins the image.

Looks fine to me, but his left arm should be casting a shadow.

user posted image

Here's something that will never be used.

Free for practice in this thread only

I'll probably be dumping other things in here too

Hope its ok if I post some of my work to be critiqued?

This is my first sprite ever.

user posted image

It was based on this original sketch of mine. (I know the wings are structured wrong but I love the sketch anyway) I got the inspiration for the color scheme from this which was done from scratch in MS Paint. (Also, same problem with the wings)

Later the sprite was edited to this:

user posted image

My next sprite was a Christmas themed dragon for squiby

user posted imageuser posted image

(Don't worry, I did shrink the egg later) The dragon was traced from a sketch that I don't have on this comp sad.gif

Next I did a Skyhopper Dragon for Squiby based off of this sketch.

user posted image

Yesterday I started the Skyhopper again from scratch and got this

user posted image

The good news is, I'm definitely getting better and finding it easier, but I also think I must be having trouble seeing some flaws. I'd like some more input on how to shade better. I'd mostly like input on the Skyhoppers, but if there is an error in the other ones, especially if it seems to repeat itself in each sprite, please point it out for me smile.gif

It looks like you're pillowshading - brighter colors in the center, with darker colors on the edges. Depending on the lightsource, it sometimes works, but right now it makes them look oddly-lit. You should probably try working on the anatomy of the base sketches first off - otherwise, the sprites won't be good. There's a big list of anatomy tutorials here -> http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=91697 but you can also take reference from pictures of birds, bats, dogs, cats, etc.

The skyhoppers... the pose is rather awkwards and undynamic, making the "flying" look unrealistic. The arms are placed rather high, as if they were on the neck. The back legs also look strange, although it's hard to see them... oh, and the tail kink should be worked on.

Biggest thing I'm seeing is that they are saved as JPEGs. Always save it as a PNG or a GIF.

I also agree with Rhea about the pillow shading. You also need to use more contrast.

And the back legs on the skyhoppers seems fine...

I see what you mean about the wings, they aren't too high, just too far to the left. If I moved them down they would be jutting right out of the sternum.

They're actually BMP. I tried saving as GIF but all the colors got messed up. Here's a PNG

user posted image

Fixed the leg a bit, the kink in the tail is still causing trouble, but I don't see the pillow shading. I was careful to use darker pigments on the belly than on the back. The only place I made bright was along the back. I tried to make the light source come from above the viewer, like sunlight.

user posted image

More contrast where?

EDIT:

Pushed the wings back and messed with the shading some more. Had to fix the chest after, but now it looks really flat-chested to me =(

user posted image

Edited by Nixta

If the light is from above, take the highlights on the body, and move them closer to the top. smile.gif

Well, the sprite's cut off, for one... but sorta. Can you post your old and new versions side-by-side next time?

Old user posted image New: user posted image

Haven't finished the wings and tail yet, that's why it looks cut off. The original sketch only had that much to it. I just finished the wings, working on the tail. I'll post the newest one when I complete the tail.

Well, wait. Some things-

-The back is a straight line, which doesn't work anatomy-wise or sprite-wise for looks. There should be a bit of definition for the hip and shoulder area; it's rare that something in nature has a completely straight back.

-The muscle definition makes it look trogdor-ish. While on sketches it's nice to have little details like such, toning down on it a little might help make it look less lumpy.

-Wing is still rather high-set on the body, still looks connected to the neck. Honestly you may need to re-sprite that entire area.

Also the first thing that I notice is the dithering. You may want to tone that down a bit as well. It really doesn't have a good effect on sprites when it's overdone.

olduser posted imagenewuser posted image

Don't know what you mean by 'trogdorish' but I tried to mellow out the contrast in the arm. Did it help?

I think you have a different perspective on the anatomy I'm going for. I based the shoulder and chest off bird anatomy. Flying birds have a very pronounced keel that acts as a base for the strong pectoral muscles that are required to power flight. If I moved the wings down at all, they would become dislocated from the shoulder which is at the base of the cervical vertebrae. . You are thinking of them more like legs of a quadruped, in which case lack of flight means no need for a large keel in the sternum. The scapula are more lateral than dorsal and the limbs connect to the frame of the body farther down on the side. Dragons that have front legs and wings, the wings are normally on top, and the forelimbs, farther down. The sternum may still be larger to allow for a strong attachment for both the muscles of the forelimbs and the muscles of the wings. This is a terrible partial skeleton, but hopefully it clears it up for you. user posted image

The hip may not be very well defined, but the shoulder is pretty clear. I mean all you have to do is look at it to see where the neck ends and the shoulder begins, so I don't really understand your problem there.

As far as the dithering, I like it, so I'm going to leave it is for now. Thanks anyhow =)

Anyhow, thanks everyone for the input, especially in regards to the contrast and shading. Maybe I'll experiment with the hip a little bit, but I think I'm ready to call this one finished, except for a few issues I still have with the tail, grr. . .

Hi sorry I didn't know quite where to ask this but I thought I'd ask here. What is redlining? (yes I'm suitably embarrassed unsure.gif )

Hi sorry I didn't know quite where to ask this but I thought I'd ask here. What is redlining? (yes I'm suitably embarrassed :unsure: )

Redlining is the act of correcting anatomical issues, using, well, red lines. Though people use other colours too, red is the preferred one. ;)