Dis

The sprite practice thread.

It needs work on pose and perspective, and line smoothing. Working on anatomy a bit might help as well. >_>

It needs work on pose and perspective, and line smoothing. Working on anatomy a bit might help as well. >_>

ok, i'll get started.......sorry to have bothered you.

I really want to learn how to sprite, but I have no idea how to. Where should I start?

Hehe, me too. I have paint and paint.net. I can recolour quite well but I can't sprite. Any suggestions where to get started?

ok, i'll get started.......sorry to have bothered you.

Never be sorry, this whole point is to learn. =V

To those who want to learn how to sprite: take a sketch and resize it so it's around 100x100 pixels in MS Paint. Then draw over it with the pencil tool, then remove all of the grey. Then make the black lines less chunky by making the outline just 1 pixel.

Ok, thanks. I chose Dracchan's sketch, and when I resize it, it is seriously blurred, I can barely make out the proper lines. Is that what is supposed to happen?

Edited by StormofNight

No, that tends to happen. You just have to make do.

(Unless I've been going about with that in the wrong matter...)

If you can, try darkening the image.

I always do that...then I just go over it and erase all of the basic lines. >_> Sorry - I was just giving you my way of doing things.

user posted image

yes I do think it's a little (or a lot) big....that's the only way I could get it darker too....and if I got it any smaller you wouldn't be able to tell what even the wing is unsure.gif

Woah, took me ages, couple of hours at the least. I know, i'm a slow worker. But here is the outline of, I think it's Dracchan's sketch. I removed the feathers because I couldn't make them out, too blury when resized sad.gif

user posted image

Please can I have critique?

Thanks

Ummm, can someone tell me how I can start to colour/shade it, as I have no idea. Sprite is in post above.

Thanks

I tried to do my first SNAKE sprite.

user posted image

I happen to like it and I would love if anyone has anything to say to improve this!

I also shaded it the colors of a coral snake.

Tell me What to Improve!

~Converse180

Edited by converse180

converse: Cute, but read some tutorials on how to smooth lines when spriting. ^^ Also, the head doesn't really look like a snake head...

user posted image

yes I do think it's a little (or a lot) big....that's the only way I could get it darker too....and if I got it any smaller you wouldn't be able to tell what even the wing is unsure.gif

um....been there a while....anything? besides the fact it's too big and the background is colored that is....

background colored reason: too light otherwise and I couldn't get it darker...(had used the darkest color)

reason it's too big-again: any smaller and you can't tell a toe from a wing...which is bad, very bad.

converse: Cute, but read some tutorials on how to smooth lines when spriting. ^^ Also, the head doesn't really look like a snake head...

I can see that it needs improvement but that was my first sprite and for paint the shading is pretty decent (to me)

And I used that version of head because I Mostly used the same basic head type for my reptiles ( gotta work on breaking that up)

Thanks for the advice !

~Converse180

^=^

""

Okay, I think I'll scan in a dragon I did at school. I would love to sprite it. :3

Edit: Oh God. *bricks self*

user posted image

Looks very very squashed look. Eep.

Just so I don't die of shame, I have a pokemon sprite that is much better than this. Well, it's not really a sprite but meh.

user posted image

Edited by Dragon4Life

Dragonhatchling: It's not a sprite, so... xd.png

it's an outline though that I need help on....

The outline looks alright to me, Dragonhatchling. *shrug*

*drumroll*

Lightbird has started her first custom sprite. With a touch pad because I can't find my mouse now D:

Will probably upload the picture for criticism when I'm done with the black lines.

Storm: You need to smooth the lines before you work on colouring or shading.

YAY! I turned a sketch into a sprite for the first time! This is the first time I've done anything with a sprite or anything like that besides recolering an egg! Here it is!user posted image

From waaaay back in the begining of the thread. Totally forgot about it. blink.gif Can someone explain to me how you "Clean" a sprite? unsure.gif I want to make a complete sprite from it, being my first and best spritline. biggrin.gif

EDIT: Also, is there a thread for practicing sketching and anatomy help? unsure.gif I don't think there is, but I think there really should be one. unsure.gif

Edited by Gemini8910

I'm pretty sure there is an anatomy thread around here somewhere.

To "clean" a sprite, you make sure every line is just 1 pixel... no overlaps.