Dis

The sprite practice thread.

My first spriting attempt!

I tried making a sprite outline of this sketch by lachrymation (with her permission) of one of her Lucens/Umbra dragons (which are totally awesome and you should go check out). I think it came out okay. Any crit? Also, could someone tell me what the exact dimensions are? The program I'm using makes it really hard to shrink things down, so I had to eyeball it. Thanks!

user posted image

Mine: user posted image

Crits, please? I know the shading is too harsh, but this is my first time fully coloring something.

Credit to AngelKitty for the base~

Edited by Emeraude

Hola. I need some help with learning to sprite.

I've been trying to help on the Feral Dragon concept, but as a first-time spriter I'm hitting some snags.

I know virtually nothing about proper anatomy, but have been told that the anatomy, particularly in the back legs of the sprite, is awkward. I don't know if the awkwardness is from the sketch, or just my rendering of it. Nor do I know how to fix it, since I'm not exactly sure what's wrong.

The sprite and sketch are both on the first post of the Feral Dragon thread. I'd rather not repost them here since it's Psychotica's sketch and ThatDeadGirl's concept.

I'm not a spriter, but I know for sure that the back legs are damaged... Make them bend, so that they seem like the dragon's taking off... If you're having trouble with the limbs, simply put your legs in that position and sketch from there. I always do that. smile.gif

Hey, I've been making a sprite for an idea I had for an eastern dragon, and I want to see if I did good. Right click and press view image to see full quality.

user posted image

Edited by kittybrianna

So i'm completely new to this, and figured i start small and start with eggs(i'm mainly working on shading right now ^^) and I myself am pretty happy with this set that i made but would defiantly would love some critiques on them.

user posted image

i used the templates found in the how to guide of the dragon requests so who ever made those credit goes to them but i shaded/colored these myself.

Here's what I did.

user posted image The light effect sucks, but I think I did pretty good for my first attempt at a dragon sprite.

user posted image

I tried doing sprite lines for my bauble finned dragon. Tips?

oh and follow the linkage for the sketch so you know what I was working off of.

Edited by saphariadragon

user posted image

Few weeks difference. This one looks better than my other one.

The main flatcolor was made by dracchan, I just messed around with the blue a bit.

Edited by Soruc The Dragon

Excuse me... I made a dragon family yesterday.. These are my first dragons... They have bad tails and too light outlines, aren't they?...

user posted image

They are ugly...

Edited by SiLuetta

@Soruc: My main problem is how toolshaded they look. o3o

@SiLuetta: The outlines could be worked on, but I do like them. I think working on making the shadows darker and the lights lighter would help, though. <3

user posted image

My first attempt

It really sucks. I was working off the only sketch I have in my dA.

Edited by wonton55912

Oh no I already posted a topic before seeing this. dry.gif

So I'm looking for help with a few sprites I made. First is a llama:

user posted image

Then a firework thing. Two versions:

user posted image

user posted image

So I'm trying to make myself a new avatar for DeviantArt, and I want to do a 'Spirit' icon. It's a horse from the movie: Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron.

Anyway, I made the icon and I shaded his mane and muzzle, but I can't seem to shade his fur without pillow-shading it. Can someone point me in the right direction on what I should do? Or if I should make difference in color on the already shaded areas bigger?

user posted image

Edited by CYDA LUVA83

So I'm trying to make myself a new avatar for DeviantArt, and I want to do a 'Spirit' icon. It's a horse from the movie: Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron.

Anyway, I made the icon and I shaded his mane and muzzle, but I can't seem to shade his fur without pillow-shading it. Can someone point me in the right direction on what I should do? Or if I should make difference in color on the already shaded areas bigger?

user posted image

If you want to go simple, maybe just put shading from the upper right, gradually getting darker as it gets to the bottom left?

Oh no I already posted a topic before seeing this. dry.gif

So I'm looking for help with a few sprites I made. First is a llama:

user posted image

Then a firework thing. Two versions:

user posted image

user posted image

Llama is cute. <3 Lines should be one pixel thick everywhere though. This is the best example I have to show you what I mean because I suck at explaining with words (>.>):

user posted image

See how the lines on the top one are smoother looking? (You can copy that image into your computer and zoom in if it would help more. smile.gif)

And I like the fireworks, I think they look fine. :3

I've been thinking about to try spriting something for quite a long time now... But I've one question... What program should you use when you sprite?

It doesn't matter, really, as all you need is a pencil tool and enough zoom to not hurt your eyes too much. I know that people use MSPaint, I prefer Photoshop... there are various programs you can get for free on the web and such.