Lord Shadow the Hedgehog

Breed mates/Customizable Breeding

Would you like to eventually see this feature in the cave?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I LOVE this idea! There are several dragons who I mate exclusively with another, and It would be so much easier to have this option!

This is a good idea. I'm not concerned about remembering who my dragons are mated to-- I have a list for that-- but it seems like completely useless work for the server to show me a picture of all my dragons whenever I want to mate one of them, since I'm always just going to select the same one anyway.

Quoting myself from the "retired from breeding" thread:

what if the dragon(s) that the one you're trying to breed has had offspring with before were automatically placed at the top of the list, and marked with a symbol, like ♥? That way, it'd be easy to tell which dragons you bred at a glance, without having to look up a spreadsheet or anything for the dragon's mate.

I like the idea. I have over 50 dragons now, and I'm getting caveborn breeding pairs and I'm afraid I'll mix them up later.

Quoting myself from the "retired from breeding" thread:

what if the dragon(s) that the one you're trying to breed has had offspring with before were automatically placed at the top of the list, and marked with a symbol, like ♥? That way, it'd be easy to tell which dragons you bred at a glance, without having to look up a spreadsheet or anything for the dragon's mate.

The problem with that, I have a couple dragons that now have permanent mates but that I bred with others before I obtained their current mates. Or if you change the permanent mates. It could still be easy to click the wrong one by accident or get mixed up.

The problem with that, I have a couple dragons that now have permanent mates but that I bred with others before I obtained their current mates. Or if you change the permanent mates. It could still be easy to click the wrong one by accident or get mixed up.

Just add a small addition to the info. i'll use mine for example.

Views Uniq. Views Clicks Mate

Bright-wing Adult (♂) Actions Get Code 1347 539 16 Light-wing

Then the name could link or something. Then in the dragon's page.

Actions

Name: Bright-wing

Egg Laid on: Nov 28, 2008

Overall Views: 1347

Unique Views: 539

Clicks: 16

Owner: whitedragon254

Mother: Tiyger's White Lace

Father: Tiyger's Neon Tangerine

Mate: Light-wing

Hatched on: Dec 04, 2008

Grew up on: Dec 09, 2008

Wouldnt be too hard.

Edited by whitedragon254

I had a thread at one point that I can't seem to find now. It had to do with creating a user-friendly solution to ALL of the breeding control requests for all users with one single feature. That feature was the ability to modify the list of possible breeding partners that show up for each dragon. Therefore if you want to breed to only one dragon, checkmark the dragons you don't want your dragon breeding to, and hit 'ok' therefore modifying the list of dragons that show up as possible mates for that particular dragon. This feature, rather than being restrictive, would be useful for all kinds of breeding control. Breed-specific mates, a single mate for a dragon, ect. ect.

I think it would be far simpler and more useful to more people to implement one action like this. The current suggested action is useful only for people who want life-mates for their dragons, which is good, but it could be better and useful to a wider range of players.

I like the idea. I have a bunch of female red dragons and male black dragons. I don't want to get confused and end up accidentally end up inbreeding them D: I hear some people kill inbred dragons, I haven't had one dragon on my scroll die, and that would leave me pretty sad to see it happen. I wouldn't mind if it were frozen or released, but killed? No, just no.

I give them similar names too, and I know other users name dragons after their parents, which could only add to the confusion.

There's also the fact i can barely remember the splits. I actually had to go through my scroll and check all the breeding dates to see what my dragon bred with and failed D: It was kind of annoying. I don't keep a document or anything because my parents use the computer, and we have to go on deleting sprees or else the computer will go very slow. They also don't actually know what I do on the computer >_> (/is secretive)

I support the idea fully.

I think this is a great idea.

I really do like this idea. I like to develop civilized characters who partner for life, and as a result, I hate the idea of accidentally inbreeding my dragons, etc. It would make it much easier for me if I could select which dragon any given dragon would breed with, instead of scrolling through a hundred or more dragons.

You'd be able to change the partner, or perhaps turn the feature off, and it shouldn't be overhard to code.. (Perhaps the 'breed with mate' option should appear next to the 'breed' option, or at the top of the list of dragons you could breed with). It'd be simple enough to insert a link here-'actions=____breedwith____'.

I'd definetely support this addition.

I'm about to look like an idiot for this but...

How do I modify the first post to make it a poll? I just tried clicking the edit button and it looked like just a normal edit....

This is a good idea. I always mate my dragons with the same partner. It would be easier. By a lot.

I'm behind this idea, considering that my dragons are a clan and most have life-mates. (for example, Draeft and Draest, my water and spring dragons, respectively)

Actually, you can do this right now - the next time you breed your lifemates, bookmark the page that results, whether with eggs, or a failure message. Unless there is a change to the software, that URL should always cause the two to breed.

It will look like this:

http://dragcave.net/actions/<code-for-male>/breed/<code-for-female>

with of course your dragons' codes (not their names) in the appropriate places.

I love this idea. If not the "the mates can only breed with eachother" thing. But something to simplify the breeding system would have been good.

I really like this idea, but a lot of my dragons don't have a particular dragon they always breed with. I think im going to switch over to it being the other way though... so there isn't a big chance of inbreeding tongue.gif I agree with espeon977,

inbreed dragons should NOT be killed.. that's just sad sad.gif

It would also be way less confusing for those who have over 100 adult dragons.

one other thing, (if someone hasn't already suggested it >.>)

they could maybe have a click able link at the top of the scroll saying "chose mates"

or at least something close to that. Then you chose two dragons from your scroll to be permanent mates.

Do you think maybe that would work..?

Edited by smokey119442

Actually, you can do this right now - the next time you breed your lifemates, bookmark the page that results, whether with eggs, or a failure message. Unless there is a change to the software, that URL should always cause the two to breed.

It will look like this:

http://dragcave.net/actions/<code-for-male>/breed/<code-for-female>

with of course your dragons' codes (not their names) in the appropriate places.

Tried this, didn't work. -__-; (Yes I used the codes)

Tried this, didn't work. -__-; (Yes I used the codes)

Let me guess, invalid referrer?

@Russ: With the safeguards TJ has in place, I believe bookmarking is unfortunately useless. sad.gif

I have life-mates on my scroll by choice. I don't think there needs to be an option for it.

And what if you later decide that you don't want the two particular dragons to be locked together forever? Or is it meant to be a reversible option. In which case... I guess it could work.

Edited by Bramblyhuck

this... idea... is.. EPIC!!

I'd support this idea as well. My dragons have lifemates as well, and as mentioned in previous replies, it does take a bit of bandwidth to load all of the potential mates.

So being able to assign a permanent mate to one's dragon would not only make things easier for breeding, but would also provide a nice reduction in bandwidth if it cuts down the number of images that need to be loaded. (And that wouldn't count the reduction in database access time from no longer needing to query for possible mates)

Keeping offline records is probably what many of us do, but even that is not foolproof. I keep a spreadsheet of my dragons' mate, but Excel recently messed it up and I had to recreate it by looking at my dragons' offspring sad.gif

I love this idea. With a few exceptions, I plan to mate my dragons for life. (This has probably already been discussed, but I don't feel like looking for it.) Would 'mated' dragons disappear from the other dragons' breeding lists?

I like this idea. I bred My pink dragon with the wrong dragon last week sad.gif. I have a few for life mate dragons and this would make it a whole lot easier.