Lord Shadow the Hedgehog

Breed mates/Customizable Breeding

Would you like to eventually see this feature in the cave?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let me guess, invalid referrer?

@Russ: With the safeguards TJ has in place, I believe bookmarking is unfortunately useless. :(

I rigged up a way around it, but it requires Firefox and an extension to run your own Javascript on a given page. It takes a list of dragons you want to set mates for and inserts quick links to skip the "pick a mate from this list" and to view the mate's page (for verification purposes, to make sure you set the right one). Since the link was clicked from your scroll, it bypasses the whole invalid referrer issue.

Picture of it in action!

user posted image

Of course, this sort of thing might actually be frowned upon by TJ due to the fact that I'm skating right past the checks to prevent things like people tricking others into killing their dragons, so it'd probably be best to find out whether it would be okay to post it before I go handing out the script... >_>;

I am more then willing to breed with anyone who wants too!!! laugh.gif

haha, that's sick... wink.gif

tongue.gif

It's nice that the BREED option will still be available along with the MATE one as well, if you ever wanted to breed that dragon for the sake of it.

I also think there should be an option to switch mates if it was so desired.

^ This, from the first page.

I vaguely remember some thread a little while ago about customizing the 'Breed With' page (or whatever its called), and I actually have a couple of dragons who basically make a three-some (one male, two females sort of thing - my splits and one set of skywings), so ideally for me, that would have been the idea I went with. So, if possible, I would be even happier with being able to add more than one mate.

But that might just be me. ^^

And I saw also on the first page a tip on finding the names using the browser search function - good idea, whoever said that! I hadn't thought of it!

@Lord Shadow: Erm... I actually have no idea how you'd do that. I'm thinking maybe you have to start a new thread. But don't take my word for it. ><

It could be if you can keep track of it in your head, but for people with hundreds of dragons, you have to search thru each and every one of them. And there's the small chance of you click on the wrong one by accident. All it takes is one slip of the mouse and you've bred your white with a mint instead of your gold. (just an example)

Or your favorite Storm with his Gold daughter instead of his mate. unsure.gif

I can haz this plz? I think it's an excellent idea.

Choose a dragon >> select actions >> Select breed >> checks to see if dragon is eligible to be bred. If available proceed to breeding page >> Load "set" mate if option is active; if not active load mates as normal.
I think that is a great way to explain it.

I vaguely remember some thread a little while ago about customizing the 'Breed With' page (or whatever its called), and I actually have a couple of dragons who basically make a three-some (one male, two females sort of thing - my splits and one set of skywings), so ideally for me, that would have been the idea I went with. So, if possible, I would be even happier with being able to add more than one mate.

But that might just be me. ^^

And me. I'd love if we could choose multiple breeding partners along with individual mates.

I also love the idea of

what if the dragon(s) that the one you're trying to breed has had offspring with before were automatically placed at the top of the list, and marked with a symbol, like ♥? That way, it'd be easy to tell which dragons you bred at a glance, without having to look up a spreadsheet or anything for the dragon's mate
But I especially like the "♥" part.

This is a really good idea. I'm all for it. I am starting to pair up my dragons for life as well. Just got to find them the right mate of the OPPOSITE gender.

I definitely support this as some of my summer dragons have very similar names and I also have lifemates.

all my dragons have life mates so this would make my day I accidently clicked a dragon's mother for it to breed luckily no eggs were produced.

I don't know if it's been answered yet, but I believe that when one clicks breed for a given dragon, the dragons available to breed are sorted in alphabetical order by code. Maybe if they were sorted alphabetically by name, it would make searching a little easier? Although, I do think Ctrl+f is the most effective way to find the name of a specific dragon.

Mate for Life should be an option, but a side-option. It should be permanent and unchangeable, however it should NOT prohibit the dragon from mating with another, but merely increase the chance of a successful breeding with its chosen mate.

How's that? smile.gif

I love this idea!!! but also when a dragon's mate is released into the wild(dont ask me why, but i happens a lot (two words, not one) nowadays) your dragon can breed freely again! great idea and i support 100%! biggrin.gif

I have a good ammount of dragons that are mated together permanently. I would LOVE a feature like this to be put into action. People who don't have permanent mates won't be bothered by this, and people who do can easily find their dragon's partner. Great idea!

This is a great idea! Most of my dragons have lifemates, and while I can usually keep my original pairs straight it gets hard for me to keep track of some of the newer ones.

I support this idea. This would definitly be useful to me.

Edited by SoraBbb

I use the 'find' option in my browser to sort through lists, but, yes, this would be very convenient. I'm one of those people who names and describes dragons for the sake of creating a huge mini-world with hundreds of individual characters, but I mirror it on a utopian modern society; my dragons are well-educated, can read and write and do square roots, and the cave complex is large and well-equipped to handle two hundred adult dragons, with eggs and hatchlings.

But because of my modern, very much sentience-oriented society, the dragons marry for life. This means whenever I want a new Guardian dragon, I have to find one Guardian, check the description to see who he/she is married to, find them on the breeding list, check it isn't a different dragon with an almost identical name (my dragons name their children after themselves to some extent; Seneran, Senenar, Senari, etc, etc), and finally breed them. And if there's no egg, I have to do it again.

Even if it is only a slight convenience, I like the idea for the added realism. Of course dragons are able to mate for life, and it should be represented in the game.

I wholeheartedly support this proposition.

I support this as well. It would be incredibly useful to me, since like so many others I breed my dragons with the same partner every time...Most have 'breeding pair names'. I always worry I'm going to click on the wrong dragon.

I wholy support this.

Often have I forgotten _- dragon has a mate, and I have bred them wrongly.. Then I have to write 'they divorced' or ' cheating ' etc..

I also figured that a lot of the people who inbreed do it by accident because there are so many of the same kind of dragons on their scroll. This could also decrease the ammount of inbreds abandoned/killed. :3

Maybe a list of past mates would be better, like, on the dragon's page, It says,

Breeding partners: Exampleone, Exampletwo etc.

I would dearly love to have this 'Mate' option for my dragons! My 47 pairs (and counting) breeding roster is entirely comprised of permanent pairs. I haven't had to resort to checking a list... yet... but it takes forever for all the eligible dragons to load and to find the correct dragon each time I want to try breeding them. I nearly had an apoplexy one day when the screen jumped a little just as I clicked. I was afraid I'd clicked the wrong dragon...

And it would probably cut down on inbreeding as well. I had a friend who accidentally bred a parent to its offspring because of confusion over multiple dragons of the same type.

I think this idea is very convenient, most of my dargons have permanent mates,

and breeding one by accident with a different dragon would be bad for me.