Lord Shadow the Hedgehog

Breed mates/Customizable Breeding

Would you like to eventually see this feature in the cave?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First, I tried searching and didn't see anything like this, so if it exists and I missed it, I apologize.

I was thinking that for the list of dragon's actions on the adults, a new action could be "Mate"

This would be different from the breed option. Here's how I see it working, I'll use my dragons as an example:

You select the Mate option and you are presented with a list of dragons of the opposite gender.

You look thru the list until you find the dragon's mate and select it, then confirm your choice.

From that point on, whenever you breed, your dragon's mate will be the only partner avalible on the list when you click BREED.

So if I did this for my stone dragon, Granite Luna, I would select her mate Weathered Stone. Then whenever I went to breed one of them, the other would be the only one to appear on the list of available mates.

I know that a lot of people have 100 dragons or more, and some of them they only breed with one other dragon for life. Also, this shouldn't be impossible to code. It's similar to how when you breed splits, only other splits show up on the list.

This would be a password action, and by putting in your password a second time, you could choose a new mate.

Another option for implementation:

[insert a better name for this action here]

Warning: the vocabulary is loose and can be replaced by more adequate words. I'm sorry for any confusion my por English may cause^^;

What is that option supposed to do?

It's pretty simple. It's to prevent missclicks during breeding. Some users would prefer their dragons to have particular mates only and to not breed them with any other dragons than the chosen one or ones but it's extremely easy to missbreed via a missclick hence no confirmation is needed before the dragons breed.

This option would lock in one or more mates for each particular dragon in such a way that this dragon won't be able to breed with any other dragons outside of the breeding list the player set for it.

Alternatively, for simplicity of both introducing it to the game and using it, this option could lock just a couple, so it gets monogamous. But I guess this would dicrease the number of users using the option  dramatically in comparison to the group option.

Availability:

An option available in actions area such as freezing or breeding are, or, alternatively, it might be a BSA but I'd rather suggest it to be a normal action or setting.

Reversable?

It could either be reversable or not. I'd leave it up to TJ's decision and your opinions. The way I suggest it is: editable.

How it might look like?

It's quite a loose suggeston, I don't want to specify the process of setting such list, what really matters is the effect: the chosen dragon(s) can't breed with dragons which are not put on its breeding list, so the risk of a missclick is reduced.

But a sample previev might look like this:

user posted image

A sample way to set:

*Step1: pick a dragon, go to it's actions and pick the locking action(whatever it could be called). Now the dragon is locked for breeding, by default with all dragons.

*Step2:

variant A: Now the page of locking action looks like mates list in breeding action page.

variant B: Now go to breeding action.

both->All potential mates have a locked status and the action says 'unlock' instead of 'breed'. Pick the mate and click 'unlock'. Now choose if you want to lock just the dragon you make the list of or the mate as well so both are locked for one another. Confirm your choice with your pasword. Now you have 2 options: breed or lock another mate. Unlock all mates you want, you can also do it later repeating the Step2. The chosen dragons can breed now. (If they refuse to go near each other, the mate you've chosen is unavailable just like it always was with refusals.)

**Step3: reversal (optional)

Go to your dragon's actions and pick the locking option. The allowed mates have an action 'lock out'/'remove'(or sth like that) in the same place as 'breeding'. It works exactly like setting them as mates. 

Example which illustrates the problem:

A player wants to have a strictly monogamous couple; caught/got them and they didin't refuse. The player breeds the couple frequently for months or even years, and their offspring is numerous.

But one day, the player somehow missclicks and picks another dragon to breed with one of their 'meant-for-strict-monogamy dragons, and these two produce an egg. The whole long term work is ruined. The player has to catch/get such a couple again and breed them and hope for not missclicking again or give up their goal. But the whole work on the previous couple is lost.

Things get even more complicated if the player has the same goal as I do: to have 1 strictly monogamous couple of each breed + 3 frozen hatchlings bred from each couple. Now, a missclick means replacing 4 dragons and 6 frozen hatchlings, and what if both couples were of rare breeds? Painful, isn't it? Sample of such dragon: http://dragcave.net/progeny/12tVX

Locking a chosen partner for each dragon means safety from a missclick and all the sad consequences it can cause.

Of course there are more reasons than just having a monogamous couple. I've seen there are some users who have such trios or groups.

I've also seen quite a lot of cases when there seemed to be fixed mates(dozens of offspring with them) but there were very few single children with other mates - it looks like missclicks and part of those really are.

It can also be a time-saver if one doesn't care about the number of mates. E.g. if a dragon is supposed to breed with a particular breed only or with CBs etc.

Alternative:

I think it's far too easy to make a missclick when breeding. If the option above is not to pass, then:

at least an optional password confirmation after clicking 'breed' in the mate selection panel for a particular breeding attempt. The password confirmation for breeding would be an option so it doesn't affect players who don't mind missclicks when breeding their dragons.

But it's stll less relaible than what I mean...

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I do beleive this was suggested a few months back, can't recall what happened to the thread

Nah...too pointless. It not like you can't keep track of whose mate is whose, right?

On second thought...that may not be as easy as it looks when you do it inside your head. Maybe you can keep track of it using your computer's Notepad or Microsoft Word programs (I don't know anything about Apple computers).

I think this suggestion is pointless.

Edited by C.C. Blitzer

It could be if you can keep track of it in your head, but for people with hundreds of dragons, you have to search thru each and every one of them. And there's the small chance of you click on the wrong one by accident. All it takes is one slip of the mouse and you've bred your white with a mint instead of your gold. (just an example)

Sorry, but this idea is not pointless, it makes it considerably easier to keep track of who breeds to which dragon, not to mention it lessens the massive amounts of images loading. It really serves no purpose to load 100+ possible mates when you are only going to be breeding with one and you know which one you want.

Edited by Nectaris

I don't. I personally support this idea. I usually pick out permanent mates for my dragons, so this would be nice, especially for those who have 100+ dragons every time they click the breed page.

It's nice that the BREED option will still be available along with the MATE one as well, if you ever wanted to breed that dragon for the sake of it.

I also think there should be an option to switch mates if it was so desired.

I'll say it again, I'm all for anything that will make me breeding the dragons on my scroll easier and cause less server load due to images. My scroll has 200 plus dragons on it. If I am remembering correctly I should be at 250 once my current batch of hatchlings and eggs mature. There are those that have 1000+ dragons and I know that they have HUGE lists of which dragon breeds to which, so they might like this kind of idea as well.

I'll say it again, I'm all for anything that will make me breeding the dragons on my scroll easier and cause less server load due to images. My scroll has 200 plus dragons on it. If I am remembering correctly I should be at 250 once my current batch of hatchlings and eggs mature. There are those that have 1000+ dragons and I know that they have HUGE lists of which dragon breeds to which, so they might like this kind of idea as well.

This is the main reason I suggested this idea. Also, I've noticed that the list of possible mates is in a random order every time. So without some restrictive idea, you have to hunt thru the entire list to find your dragon's mate.

I am totally behind this idea. I think it's awesome. I only have one male dragon at the moment (and like...6 females O_o) but I do plan on finding mates for life once my dragon brood grows. It would be a wonderful feature. I also agree that there should be the option to switch mates. You'd probably have to click breed first and then wait the cool down period before picking the 'breed' dragon as a mate though, just to undo the previous mating selection.

This is the main reason I suggested this idea. Also, I've noticed that the list of possible mates is in a random order every time. So without some restrictive idea, you have to hunt thru the entire list to find your dragon's mate.

For the taking forever to search thing, am I the only one who uses the find feature on the internet? CTRL+F people, makes life a bazillion times easier. (Just a handy suggestion for those who hadn't thought about it)

I like this idea. I have quite a few dragons (currently around 140 adults), and it would be nice to a) not have to pull up my records every time I want to breed them and B) not have to wait for 50+ dragons to load and then search through them to find the right one.

Edited by DarkLadyNyara

Mine generally don't have permanent mates but I think it sounds like an absolutely brilliant idea for those who do, provided an option to reselect mates exists.

The following will probably fall under silly suggestions; as a computer illiterate, I've no idea what anything would cost the system in capacity or the programmer in difficulty of coding, or whatever but being silly never stops me...

And It's after 2:30 AM here, and my eyes are crossing, so I'm using that as an excuse...

What about a search function on each breed option page, where a name/code could be inserted to call up that dragon's intended mate, as an alternative to searching through a 'physical' line, with a memory link to last dragon used with the dragon being bred, added to the breed option?

Maybe have for each dragon something like the list used for Live Search, (and presumably others) where most recent mate could automatically show on a drop-down thingy (I'm so technical) with any other mates previously used listed below?

(This would probably eat capacity, or be otherwise impossible, I suppose, but I figure, why mess around? If you're going to dream, dream big. Wake up later, to the sweet smell of coffee freshly brewed.)

And possibly also a (linked) list which could be called up from each dragon's breed option of the appropriate sex and compatible types, segregated by different dragon types?

The dragons linked to this and available to view for consideration and/or use for breeding at the touch of a cursor?

(I have rather less than noooo idea about coding and other potential difficulties...

But if something like that were possible, it sounds to me [speaking as One Who Knows Nothing] like about the easiest way of dealing with an ever-growing line of breeders.

But of course, I know nothink, I only dream...

But MUCH smaller lists of dragons-by-type would typically be individually called up, even if a 1st-time mate was being searched out for a new dragon, and there would be less to sort through, even if the desired breed of dragon to become the new mate was the only thing yet decided.)

And, (speaking of the OP's original suggestion) I think most of us will wind up with hundreds or thousands of dragons and REALLY need something like this down the road - it's not something 'just for a relatively few people' but for an ever-growing number.

It would certainly make marvelous sense to organize this for the fairly large number who already need it and in preparation for the enormous number who will.

I'd love to see this as an option. 90% of my dragons have been settled with permanent mates, and it would make life so much easier if I didn't have to go scrolling through the list every time trying to spot the one that's their mate. I'd say threre would need to be a 'find new mate' option that would bring the full list up, for those instances when you need/want to shuffle couples around a little, but other than that I'm all for it!

Yes I was thinking that maybe it could be password activated, like abandon action is, and you can select a new mate by reentering your password.

I support this idea as well, provided we could switch when we wanted. Most of my dragons have permanent mates, but sometimes I can't resist breeding two of them when they both have awesome names.

I fully support this, even if my scroll isn't that big yet and my dragons are all arranged by mated pairs on it. You're right, Lord Shadow- the list of possible mates does seem to be randomly ordered. I like Tikindi's suggestion with the new mate feature.

I object to this idea only because until I find a life partner, I don't always use just the one mate for some of my dragons.

However! What if you could designate a "life partner" (or whatever you want to call it), and that dragon always appears at the top of the list, regardless of what sorting is applied to the rest of the dragons (I have a theory that it's not random, but that we don't know the reasoning behind the sorting).

I think, in combination with the retirement option, this could be really workable idea.

As long as there also is a way to break such a mating, I'm in favor of this idea. If it cannot be undone, I will not use the option; my dragons don't want lifetime commitments (like I switched around some couples after the new eggs came out, just to try if silver + daydream works out fine, etc)

I'm totally supporting this idea, even though I don't have a massive amount of dragons *yet* this is surely a useful feature.

Most of my dragons aren't life-mated per se, but often if I get a couple that breeds I'll keep them together until I have some reason to separate them. So it would certainly be handy if I could assign a favored status to one dragon and have it appear either alone or at the top when I decide to breed.

Just the other day I went to breed my gold with her water mate. I had found him but them for some reason I had scrolled up the page again. I quickly scrolled back down and clicked—only to realize with a sinking feeling that I had clicked on her son instead. They immediately gave me an egg which I then smashed because I don't want to have a line of inbred dragons originating from my scroll. sad.gif

I'm behind this idea 100%. Maybe then it would be worth it to give my dragons permanent mates and not have to remember it all offhand.

I support this idea, I currently order my dragons in their mates, but it doesn't half get confusing when you have a lot of dragons like me and many have similar names. However if this were implemented, it would have to be switched off some way, on my scroll I breed the dragons, but if they haven't produced eggs together for a long time I change their partners, so it would be annoying if I couldn't change it again.

I like this idea! I think it would also decrease inbreeding since you would know which to mate out of your 40742 dragons smile.gif

As all, or most of, my dragons are "life-mated," I completely support this idea. It would make breeding a lot easier. happy.gif