Lord Shadow the Hedgehog

Breed mates/Customizable Breeding

Would you like to eventually see this feature in the cave?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I support this idea as well, I've got a lot of dragons now, and its about a fifty/fifty ratio with my dragons. I usually just see what happens by choosing random dragons, but I do have a few dragons whom I only breed with each other.

I totally support this idea. I have set mates for all of my dragons but I don't breed them all that often, so I sometimes forget who is paired with who. Having to check via their children who their mommy/daddy is gets really annoying sometimes.

Hiya kids. Do YOU know who YOUR daddy is?

I totally support this idea. I have set mates for all of my dragons but I don't breed them all that often, so I sometimes forget who is paired with who. Having to check via their children who their mommy/daddy is gets really annoying sometimes.

Hiya kids. Do YOU know who YOUR daddy is?

That's what a spreadsheet or even simply a notebook is for.

If you have fixed mating pairs, simply write their names down.

Doesn't need a change in the whole system and if you ever want to change things around, you can easily by ignoring what you've written down.

I did try making a breeding chart, but it got too long. I have over 150 dragons on my scroll. I want to find mates for all of them (except papers and like). Checking a notebook for who is paired with who would take time as well.

I did try making a breeding chart, but it got too long. I have over 150 dragons on my scroll. I want to find mates for all of them (except papers and like). Checking a notebook for who is paired with who would take time as well.

That's what CTRL-F is for.

The problem with Control-F, is that we still have to look up who is paired with whom on our spreadsheet. That takes time. We also have to LOAD all of the dragon images. That causes SERVER STRESS. Being able to have an optional radio button control over which dragons display for each other when breeding makes things simpler for users that want it and causes less server load and strain.

The problem with Control-F, is that we still have to look up who is paired with whom on our spreadsheet. That takes time. We also have to LOAD all of the dragon images. That causes SERVER STRESS. Being able to have an optional radio button control over which dragons display for each other when breeding makes things simpler for users that want it and causes less server load and strain.

Well yes, if you're looking to save 10 seconds, then I suppose using CTRL-F in a spreadsheet and then in your scroll is much too much work.

The thing is, if the database also has to provide room to remember who is the lifemate of a dragon, it puts stress on the database, because instead of simply checking "is the dragon the opposite gender AND has it not bred for the last week", it also will have to check "does this dragon have the life-mate flag set for this particular dragon".

A lot more work than just showing all eligible dragons of the opposite gender.

And really, Just put your dragons in a spreadsheet, put the pairs together and not only will you never forget who your dragon's life mate is, you can also record their breeding efforts should you be so inclined.

This is what is part of breeding. YOU are the one who has to do the work. You can hardly expect the system to do that work for you.

you are talking to the choir here. I have a spreadsheet. I have NUMEROUS pages in my spreadsheet. I would like to have an OPTIONAL radio button allowed to set who will and will not show for my dragons. WHY? Because it would be a NICE FEATURE. Not a necessary one, but a nice one to have. I know who I can breed to who each week. What would be nice is not having to hunt for that particular dragon in a list that is really really long. Sure you may continue preaching about the usage of control-f but it doesn't work for everyone when they have multiple dragons that have the same type of name.

Small amount of coding vs. server crashing and or lagging out due to massive image loads.... which is better?

you are talking to the choir here. I have a spreadsheet. I have NUMEROUS pages in my spreadsheet. I would like to have an OPTIONAL radio button allowed to set who will and will not show for my dragons. WHY? Because it would be a NICE FEATURE. Not a necessary one, but a nice one to have. I know who I can breed to who each week. What would be nice is not having to hunt for that particular dragon in a list that is really really long. Sure you may continue preaching about the usage of control-f but it doesn't work for everyone when they have multiple dragons that have the same type of name.

Small amount of coding vs. server crashing and or lagging out due to massive image loads.... which is better?

You're still not taking into account the extra checking there's going to have to be done in the database to ensure that

- the dragon is breedable

- the dragon is of the opposite gender

- the dragon is the other dragon's life mate

It's an extra check on the database, which also causes strain. Image loading really doesn't cause all that much strain on the server, because pages will actually load without them.

If you want to add a flag to the database, that flag will need to be checked and passed before it will do something.

Currently we have this:

Chose a dragon >> select actions >> Select Breed >> Checks to see when dragon was last bred. If dragon is available for breeding proceed to the select mate page >> Load all available dragons of the opposite gender that are eligible to be breed.

What I'm suggesting is that we can manually set "mates" for those dragons that have set partners. So we would have it as follows:

Choose a dragon >> select actions >> Select breed >> checks to see if dragon is eligible to be bred. If available proceed to breeding page >> Load "set" mate if option is active; if not active load mates as normal.

If you have your dragons with set mates then obviously if the female is available for breeding then that means the male is as well. No extra checks were required. It's a if,then,else Boolean code line. Which is what is already in place.

The current has to run a check to see if ALL of the dragons on your scroll of the opposite gender are available, not just one. And again if they are set as "partners" if one is unavailable (first check) actions >> breed (not available breed option greyed out) then the male isn't available either.

Yes yes yes a thousand times yes! I have way too many dragons and this would makes breeding 1000x easier for me (and the many other people with lots of dragons) to keep track of who breeds with who.

I like my lineages, but sometimes I misclick and it throws everything off. Majorly.

I love the idea!

I don't have that many dragons as when I have too many I just start releasing, but my dragons all have life long mates. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of them now, but that's a hassle.

You're still not taking into account the extra checking there's going to have to be done in the database to ensure that

- the dragon is breedable

- the dragon is of the opposite gender

- the dragon is the other dragon's life mate

It's an extra check on the database, which also causes strain. Image loading really doesn't cause all that much strain on the server, because pages will actually load without them.

If you want to add a flag to the database, that flag will need to be checked and passed before it will do something.

We already have something similar to this that we have no control over: Splits.

When you breed splits, the server only shows you other splits. It shouldn't be too difficult to take the code that allows it and apply a modified version that allows you to set a certain mate for all your dragons.

But then, I'm no coding expert.

Bleh. I approve; I accidentally mated Fizzix d'Orly to the dragon ABOVE her mate. >>

I like this idea smile.gif

But I wonder what would happen to the dragons whose mates are killed or released...

Would they stay single forever or will be breedable with other dragons?

i agree on the idea i like keeping my dragons with one or 2 breeding partners unless i use them just for breeding at random. but like the pair in my sig my male silver and my female guardian are soul partners and i wont ever breed them to other dragons. i am extreamly cuatius with the breeding of the children to lol actualy im trying to keep the linage that the parents are from to stay in the linages of their children with out breeding a sibling to sibling so its slightly hard so many of the children dont have offspring yet.

I dunno, this would be a good idea if you could turn this off when you wanted to.

That would be why just like "show user name" and "accept aid" are radio buttons, I'd like for this to be a radio button as well where it can be toggled off or on at the scroll owners whim. With the automatic setting to be "off".

That would be why just like "show user name" and "accept aid" are radio buttons, I'd like for this to be a radio button as well where it can be toggled off or on at the scroll owners whim. With the automatic setting to be "off".

I am hoping it will be more like naming than the scroll name option. What I mean is, is on the actions page, in addition to the regular breed option, you would have a "choose mate" option(or whatever other name you choose), and if you activate it, it lets you choose the mate. Once you have done that, the option is replaced with a "split up" option to undo what you have done. I would suggest a small cool-down period(5-10 minutes max) to make sure people aren't doing it too many times in a row, which I think could cause some server strain. I really don't want it to be a blanket option like the scroll name, as some I have never bred and don't intend to, and some I am still trying to find their mate.

well it would be a radio dial for each dragon most likely. As even I haven't found the perfect mate for every dragon on my scroll yet. I just had a long term pair outright refuse me yesterday with the "refuse to go near each other" so I now need to find a new mates for them.

RayneKitty, the updated first post I proposed the idea as being available via the ACTIONS page, and with the password to enable it, and the password again will let you change the mate. (Or action name, if that's what your account is set to)

...This little idea seems pretty popular..wonder what the mighty TJ's stance on this would be?

I would love that! My dragon pairs are mated for life and I hate scrolling and the risk to press wrong.

I definitely like this idea. I have several breeding pairs, but also dragons that I pair up randomly. Hopefully this will turn out smile.gif