Lord Shadow the Hedgehog

Breed mates/Customizable Breeding

Would you like to eventually see this feature in the cave?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So as long as both 'Mate' and 'Breed' are options, I'm totally for this idea.

Yes, the way i imagined this being implamented, both "BREED" and "MATE" would be options. To activate the MATE, you put your password in, choose a dragon, and that's the only one who shows up on the BREED list. To reverse it, simply go to MATE and put your password in again to confirm.

Mate ON, Mate OFF. kinda like fog/unfog only with password action. (in terms of how you activate it, i mean.)

That could work,but would only really useful for serious breeders,IMO.I just record my pairings on a sheet of paper.

Judging from what people are saying, am I the only one who organizes dragon pairs through custom sort?

Judging from what people are saying, am I the only one who organizes dragon pairs through custom sort?

I do as well, but that doesn't always help me. I have my Xmas dragons all lined up, for example, with their mates elsewhere so things look a bit more organized. I still remember (usually off the top of my head) who has which permanent mate, but...

With the current system, it is much easier to find the permanent mate on the breed list. However, dragons only show up at the top if they have _offspring_ together, and about half my pairs do not have offspring, even though they did not refuse each other. I _still_ have to scroll through my entire... scroll... to find the correct mate, and sometimes my finger has slipped because I'm too tired to click the correct link the first time, resulting in eggs that I really want to kill.

I would also support this because it would take sooooo much less time for the page to load if only one dragon had to be loaded.

while that is a possibility, you still have to hunt thru the list of mates if they haven't successfully bred and producded eggs before. And I'd imagine once you reach a certain number of dragons, it'd be an extremely tedious task, i mean, if you have to scroll thru over 300 or so dragons to get one moved where you want it to be?

((PSST, does ANYONE know how to edit the first post into a poll for this? i think it can be done and I'd say this could use it by now))

I really like this idea. As long as you have a change mate option. You could even give it a cooldown. As in onc eoyu pick a mate you should wait 2 weeks or amonth to change to a new one.

Yay, we finally have poll action here. Thank you TJ for adding it.

Now we can actually get an idea of people's opinions on this without having to read thru all the pages. smile.gif

Perhaps rather than a stuck pair.. so that you go "oh I have to absolutely breed this or go allll the way back undo and redo everything".. maybe like.. a highlighting option? Highlight the 'mate' on the breeding list?

I voted 'other' because I believe the feature is too limited. Sure, I have a few dragons that I consistently breed in pairs, but I have others that I do not. For them, I would like to be able to 'remove' from their list of possible mates only those dragons they refuse to go near or other dragons I do not want to breed with them. That would still leave them with multiple possible pairings, but it would make it easier for me to keep track of which dragon has refused which (and considering how many dragons I have, this would be a huuuuge help).

I voted 'other' because I believe the feature is too limited. Sure, I have a few dragons that I consistently breed in pairs, but I have others that I do not. For them, I would like to be able to 'remove' from their list of possible mates only those dragons they refuse to go near or other dragons I do not want to breed with them. That would still leave them with multiple possible pairings, but it would make it easier for me to keep track of which dragon has refused which (and considering how many dragons I have, this would be a huuuuge help).

As i said here in the first post

This would be a password action, and by putting in your password a second time, you could choose a new mate

it would be reversible if you just put your password in a second time. at least the way i have it invisioned.

I agree with this, only 1 or two of my dragons have life mates and even then i would be willing to change them on request. so removing a dragon from a breeding list would be great.

And shadow, this idea is quite different then what you where saying with changing passwords.

hm, yes i see, looking again it is different.

it might just be me though, but it seems like it might be easier for some cases, to just pick one dragon to be on a list than to pick OVER 9000 dragons to remove from said list

although i don't think anyone has THAT many dragons on their scroll...yet...but people have enough that if you had to remove every dragon but one that it'd be tedious

hm, yes i see, looking again it is different.

it might just be me though, but it seems like it might be easier for some cases, to just pick one dragon to be on a list than to pick OVER 9000 dragons to remove from said list

although i don't think anyone has THAT many dragons on their scroll...yet...but people have enough that if you had to remove every dragon but one that it'd be tedious

Aye, that would be the easiest thing to do in cases where one wants to only breed a pair. I understand the reversible aspect, and it is a good one.

What I want, though, is also a way to remove dragons from a breeding list without paring that list down to only one dragon. For anyone who doesn't quite get what I am saying, I'll give an example.

I have female dragon A.

I have male dragons B, C, D, E, F, G...

I try to breed A and B, and A and F and they refuse to go near eachother. I would like to remove B and F from A's possible mates, but leave C, D, E, and G as options.

Therefore maybe a hybrid system where one can either pick a single mate (the quick way to pare things down) or remove certain dragons as possible mates without limiting the options to just one?

I like the idea of having a sort-order-like list that can be changed and re-changed at any time. All possible mates are checkmarked at first (meaning they are on the list) but one can un-checkmark dragons or re-checkmark them as one wishes in order to get the breeding lists right.

Pooooooll me liek :3

@undertow: I think a system like that was mentioned earlier, with an option/setting to make a checklist of dragons you wanted to show up on a dragon's breeding page. Or maybe it was another thread, I could have sworn I posted here before but the dot wasn't there. unsure.gif

Pooooooll me liek :3

@undertow: I think a system like that was mentioned earlier, with an option/setting to make a checklist of dragons you wanted to show up on a dragon's breeding page. Or maybe it was another thread, I could have sworn I posted here before but the dot wasn't there. unsure.gif

I posted a thread based on an idea that had been mentioned before but had vanished. The thread is here. It seems like most people like the idea.

it's a bit strange, i searched before making this and found no old topics.

probably because my topic isn't really about the exact same thing. Single mates are possible with the idea, but not specifically what is advocated. So your topic is different.

I would like the mate feature and would definitely use it. The current breed sorting is a big help, but not when a new pair is found without having bred an egg yet.

I back this fully. For every breed of dragon. All of mine are mated and I use my describtions to tell the reasons why, so I get ticked whenever I accidentally have one breed with the wrong mate.

But here's a little tidbit I bet many of you never thought about that this could help. See, I have a nice little collection of splits on my scroll. Strictly mated pairs. I got four splits and bred them to make a pair which then became mated. Problem was, one of my breedings was to child and mother.

Most of my inbreeding is complete accident. This is a prime example of it. Their baby is on some random's scroll, probably as a pretty decent catch for them. But a nasty one for me every time I find myself looking for how far my lineages go. I love to track them every so often, see if a new one has great great great grandchildren or even a grandchild.

I don't know if this has been said yet, sorry if it has, but if the dragons were to Mate, would they ever be "uninterested" in each other? Splits can only breed with other Splits, but sometimes "they won't even go near each other" If they were to Mate, would that ever happen?

I don't know if this has been said yet, sorry if it has, but if the dragons were to Mate, would they ever be "uninterested" in each other? Splits can only breed with other Splits, but sometimes "they won't even go near each other" If they were to Mate, would that ever happen?

My set up is that it's reversable if you put your password in a second time. MATE wouldn't replace BREED, MATE would simply provide you with one chosen dragon so you don't have to sort for a life-long mate out of hundreds (or thousands if your scroll's THAT huge) of others

My set up is that it's reversable if you put your password in a second time. MATE wouldn't replace BREED, MATE would simply provide you with one chosen dragon so you don't have to sort for a life-long mate out of hundreds (or thousands if your scroll's THAT huge) of others

so even if they Mate, they still may not produce an egg and could Breed with other dragons?

i think this is an awesome idea, even though i don't have that many dragons. but when i do this will be a very handy feature